• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Hello Mega Man boards. Here's a few matches from a weeks ago that I would definitely love to have critiqued.

VS. Falcon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSj41Kks-yU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_ahruBF0nc

I could really use some help on how to deal with Falcon spacing b-airs by the ledge. Once he adapted and started to do that, it was pretty much over for me. Also, I'm not too sure how to edge guard Falcon properly. Anytime I try leaf shield, he usually not in the position to really get foot-stooled, so that's out.

Also, here's some decent matches in a match-up that I'm a bit more familiar with that may help some people out:

Vs. Diddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St7wg-jaJe4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yl23m9SYPw

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I also have trouble with Captain Falcon so I can't say too much. The only thing I can say is don't over commit to anything dangerous until you see him use his second jump. Captain Falcon players like to short hop to see what their options are and then tend to double jump if you react to that. Best to bait out the second jump and then punish that.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Can Wario actually eat Hard Knuckles and Air Shooters? I'd imagine that he can't eat air at the very least.
Yes. He will devour both. The way Wario's bite will work is that anything in front of his mouth's grab range will be placed in. It is fairly risky to try eating Knuckle and Tornado because either of them hitting him from above or below won't work. It would have to be directly in front of him.

Greward

Smash Lord
probably he can eat hard knuckles, but not air shooter (since it has special priority, he can't eat falco's laser for example). not sure tho

he heals when eating items, so yes, only metal blades.

Last edited:

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
I also have trouble with Captain Falcon so I can't say too much. The only thing I can say is don't over commit to anything dangerous until you see him use his second jump. Captain Falcon players like to short hop to see what their options are and then tend to double jump if you react to that. Best to bait out the second jump and then punish that.

What would be the best ways to bait out his double jump? Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything too effective, but maybe keeping it simple by just chucking MB is the way to go?

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
Got some Mega Man footage against a Ganondorf on For Glory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR54s9iDizE
You did a Well job against ganon but I think you should rely less on Usmash and hard knuckle for kills. There were many times were you could spike using Bair, trow a diagonal metal blade to string into something, or use leafshield as a edgeguarding toll. ( http://smashboards.com/threads/wood-mans-treehouse-a-leaf-shield-guide.374719/ ) Onstage game, good you just need to edgeguard a bit more

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
What would be the best ways to bait out his double jump? Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything too effective, but maybe keeping it simple by just chucking MB is the way to go?
Like I said, I still have some trouble in this matchup so I'm still trying to figure these things out. Short hopped pellets can work.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Sorry for double post, but my tournament set here against a Wario on stream, http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/b/609489761

My game starts at 4:52. I died and made a pretty sloppy recovery tho on my last stock, the rest he just flat outplayed me.
But he only heals by eating Metal Blades, right?
I think so. Maybe Crash Bomb but I have to double check. I think the rule is anything that can be treated like an item you can pick up.

Also new videos:

Made the mistake of leaving Battlefield open against Rosalina and had a pretty bad second stock game 3 but I felt like my mistakes are fixable.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Sorry for double post, but my tournament set here against a Wario on stream, http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/b/609489761

My game starts at 4:52. I died and made a pretty sloppy recovery tho on my last stock, the rest he just flat outplayed me.
Yo can I get a little pointers or criticism from this? Once again I'm unable to get new vids at the moment, and I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Yo can I get a little pointers or criticism from this? Once again I'm unable to get new vids at the moment, and I'd appreciate all the help I can get.
No experience against good Warios but here are my two cents:

You should move around a bit more, and try to use more diagonal metal blades. Is the same problem i have, whenever fighting someone who likes to jump around throwing stuff at me or waiting for a chance to grab/jab whatever, i get nervous and just throw straight MB's and CB's at them. Once i realized that and started to move more, it gets a lot easier to handle those kind of players.

Leaf shield, you are kinda obvious with it. Every time you put it up, you run for a grab, and your opponent clearely realized that. Plus, wario's bite beats leaf shield as well(did not knew that o.o damn this yellow fatman....) but the point is, try to mix it up, throw it or just bait a reaction once in a while.

This is just what i thought while watching it, and it applies to me as well, i think the way we play is very similar so we have a lot of the same bad habits.

Some questions now, does the bite eats a thrown LS ? Cause if it doesn't then that could help in the matchup.

Also, in situations like when Wario is at high percents, can we bait the bite, short hop throwing a MB straigh forward for him to eat, and then utilt him?
Again, no experience against Wario, so i don't know much about how his bite works, but it seems like when he eats a projectile(you know, when he closes his mouth and heals himself) he is vulnerable, or is that just my impression?

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I think so. Maybe Crash Bomb but I have to double check. I think the rule is anything that can be treated like an item you can pick up.

Also new videos:

Made the mistake of leaving Battlefield open against Rosalina and had a pretty bad second stock game 3 but I felt like my mistakes are fixable.
All I can say is that on stage Hard Knuckles are dangerous. Endeavor to land in front of your opponent with landing lag less often too.

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet

Also new videos:

I think because you tried to land a hard kuckle many times, you got hard punished for this. other than that, I'm out of your league so I can't give you any more advice.

BTW: LEAFSHIELD SUCKS??!!! ChopperDave would get so mad at that comment

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I think because you tried to land a hard kuckle many times, you got hard punished for this. other than that, I'm out of your league so I can't give you any more advice.

BTW: LEAFSHIELD SUCKS??!!! chopper dave would get so mad at that comment
Some people have yet to witness the power of the rotating salad.

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=Z0KiPQ62-Qc Captain Falcpn is a really dificult opponent since he is very fast. Any advice on how to defeat Captain Falcpn woth Megaman? Also how did I played against Captain Falcon? Tell me where can I improve as a Megaman main

Captain Falcon is a biit dificult the first matches. Wait for him to approach you and stop them with pellets. Lemons are your best friends in this match since it stops almost every grounded aprroach. If he tries to approach from above try to punish with spark shot or mega upper on hight %. And whatever happens: Avoid The Knee Of Justice At All Cost!

Last edited:

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
NinjaLink is one of the best mega mans I've seen so far. I've definitely picked up some cool and affective tricks by watching him play.

http://youtu.be/jp057RUXDEI

First match is vs Rosalina

Second match is vs Captain Falcon

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
NinjaLink is one of the best mega mans I've seen so far. I've definitely picked up some cool and affective tricks by watching him play.

http://youtu.be/jp057RUXDEI

First match is vs Rosalina

Second match is vs Captain Falcon
For sure, learned a lot watching him.

Also i think that if we ever organize these videos in categories or something, this one HAVE to be up in the matchups examples, cause it shows how to handle the Rosalina MU, and how dangerous a good Falcon can be.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Could someone tell me how to do a F Smash while holding a metalblade I saw zucco do it once.
This is better suited for the Q&A thread, but:

Hold your A button down as you pick up the Metal Blade, and keep it held down. Next, tap the control stick to the side, which will begin charging the fsmash. Release the A button to fire.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
So, Tourney Locator finally posted Shockwave 14 matches. Here goes SSGuy's :

Vs. CalmAnimal (Bowser)
#saladgimp

Vs. HoneyBadger (Rosalina)

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
So, Tourney Locator finally posted Shockwave 14 matches. Here goes SSGuy's :

Vs. CalmAnimal (Bowser)
#saladgimp

Vs. HoneyBadger (Rosalina)
#saladgimp for days!

That SD made me cry tho.

Still a lot of stuff i learned about Bowser there.

Also the second video, that's one spoiler thumbnail if i ever saw one XD. Loved how the commentator realizes around the second match that Rosa's down b doesn't really do much for he by absorbing CB and MB.

Anyway, great matches, SSguy doing some work!

I believe that if we are ever doing the "pretty fly for a SSguy joke, now is the time."

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Great stuff by SSGuy like always.

Dat LS gimp.

Played Calm Animal a few times on wifi before, really amazing Bowser.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So it is not really a video from a match, but I do want to share with everyone a highlight/montage video featuring some of my best plays and biggest hits! It really emphasizes the progress I have made with this game and I owe a lot of that to being able to communicate and talk to most other Mega Man players on Smash Boards. I am really blessed to be a part of one of the strongest Smash 4 characters threads. When it comes to discoveries and theory crafting, I think we are the best!

Again, thank you to everyone!

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
So it is not really a video from a match, but I do want to share with everyone a highlight/montage video featuring some of my best plays and biggest hits! It really emphasizes the progress I have made with this game and I owe a lot of that to being able to communicate and talk to most other Mega Man players on Smash Boards. I am really blessed to be a part of one of the strongest Smash 4 characters threads. When it comes to discoveries and theory crafting, I think we are the best!

Jesus man, so many utilts you hit, we should just call you the Ken of MM players.

Kinda sad you didn't include that salad gimp against Calm Animal but that's fine, too much awesome in this already.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Jesus man, so many utilts you hit, we should just call you the Ken of MM players.

Kinda sad you didn't include that salad gimp against Calm Animal but that's fine, too much awesome in this already.

Too late into development. lol
Also I feel like it would look tacky including something that only resulted in me getting bopped game 3. I had one good moment and the rest was sloppy. Still was really awesome to get my first salad gimp in tournament

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581

Really good clips! I liked the editing too. You did a great job syncing up the gameplay footage with the cinematic clips. Wasn't a huge fan of the music choice but to each their own (you're never gonna make everyone happy when it comes to music so you might as well pick something you like.) Still an entertaining watch. I wish more people made videos like this. Watching tournament matches can be helpful but tedious at times. Stuff like this is just fun imo. Keep it up SSGuy!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Really good clips! I liked the editing too. You did a great job syncing up the gameplay footage with the cinematic clips. Wasn't a huge fan of the music choice but to each their own (you're never gonna make everyone happy when it comes to music so you might as well pick something you like.) Still an entertaining watch. I wish more people made videos like this. Watching tournament matches can be helpful but tedious at times. Stuff like this is just fun imo. Keep it up SSGuy!
I was really looking for something that seemed aggressive and seeking retribution and this one nailed it right on the head.

Thanks for the kind words. That sync to line up the teleport to the first match on Kalos League Omega was a *****

Last edited:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
anyone care to way in on the Olimar matchup? =s i stink at it

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I was really looking for something that seemed aggressive and seeking retribution and this one nailed it right on the head.
You also chose that one cause the band name is "The Megas" right?

jimm

Smash Cadet
1/29/2015 Mega Man v. Link

This guy and his Link, I swear. He claims he only plays single player most of the time. He plays a lot less but has more talent. This also feels like a poor matchup for Mega Man.

I'm aware of the more obvious mistakes here like rolling into hitting range or recovering to a bad area. Link's sword range is a real game maker for him in this matchup.

I can't post links because I don't have enough posts.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Giving this thread the Apex bump.

This is a great chance to revamp the OP so please read the thread rules if you want a match added. Feel free to tag either myself or Yink if it makes things easier.

Crimson Child

Smash Cadet
NNID
crimchild
I've been playing Mega Man a short while for fun (mostly because of his customs), but decided to try him out in a wifi tourney recently to see if I could make him work, since I've been struggling against this guy with my other characters. Some of you might remember The740 as the best DK in EU back in the early Brawl days.

23/1-15 CrimsonChild :4megaman: vs The740 :4dk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dPsxNL1iD8

That was the first time I tried out default Mega Man against a good player and was surprised at the result. Looking back at the matches, I realized I barely used pellets at all, amongst other stuff. After looking up some stuff, I tried going Mega Man against him again the next weekend.

30/1-2015 CrimsonChild :4megaman: vs The740 :4dk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEQ3D4eKnm8

Top Bottom