• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Most recent matches have been uploaded. I'm not extremely comfortable against either character (:4dk:/:4villager:) Looking for some tips on what I can do differently.

vs Emery :4dk: (Formerly called Neon)

vs LCG :4villager:

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Zucco(MM) vs ADHD(Diddy)

@ juice.Zucco juice.Zucco - This is amazing play. Really, I think this is some of your best work. This is exactly the type of play people new to Mega Man should watch and learn from. Spacing, U-air juggles, edge guarding. Everything. The only thing I wish I saw was a few places where utilt would've been a fantastic punish instead of some other options you chose (1:40 you could land>utilt for the stock right there. 2:10 after DA you might've been able to lemon lock him into a utilt for more %, 5:29 instead of grab).

Just, so much yes in this video.

@ SSGuy SSGuy - You get some utilt kills in the Villager videos that I'm trying to see what you see there. He's shielding and you go for the utilt anyway. Is it because you've crossed him up that you're expecting him to stop shielding/roll/do something OOS? They're great kills, but I'm just curious to know your thinking. (8:26 is an example)

Last edited:

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
1:53. That is all.
Honestly that only worked because ADHD atm plays like an idiot lol.

@ juice.Zucco juice.Zucco - This is amazing play. Really, I think this is some of your best work. This is exactly the type of play people new to Mega Man should watch and learn from. Spacing, U-air juggles, edge guarding. Everything. The only thing I wish I saw was a few places where utilt would've been a fantastic punish instead of some other options you chose (1:40 you could land>utilt for the stock right there. 2:10 after DA you might've been able to lemon lock him into a utilt for more %, 5:29 instead of grab).

Just, so much yes in this video.
Dude I wish I was more confident in my uptilt Punishes. Always just worried im gonna miss, but hopefully I get more used to it.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Honestly that only worked because ADHD atm plays like an idiot lol.

Dude I wish I was more confident in my uptilt Punishes. Always just worried im gonna miss, but hopefully I get more used to it.
Can't be gun shy with a move that good. :p it comes and goes for me and then I review my replays and say, "ugh. Could've uptilted." Even more so with dsmash. Sometimes I call a ledge roll and use usmash, but when I see it in a video I say, "why not dsmash if you're going for the hard read anyway?"

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
Also nothing is worse than being TOO close to someone and getting the sourspot of uptilt. Makes me want to just use Downsmash instead.

Most recent matches have been uploaded. I'm not extremely comfortable against either character (:4dk:/:4villager:) Looking for some tips on what I can do differently.

]
Honestly I felt like you handled both MUs pretty well, and had some unfortunate SDs in both games. I feel like you should be bullying DK way more though. Just setting up walls against him makes it pretty hard for DK to really get things going. Mix in more metal blades due to how big DK is and how he will almost always either be hit or have to block 3 hits from it and grabbing in general(I overly grab so maybe in wrong about this lol) helps set up and put DK in bad positions.

I dont have alot of experience against villager except for online but I know that metal blades kind of mess up any sort of set ups with trees and rockets that he has, and he cant take the blade away from you so theres not much to worry about. if he decides to just hold it then you adjust properly to what his moveset has been limited to. IMO its a sort of slow MU where you just have to take your time and take what you can get. Being good at powershielding is also a big plus in this MU.

Also you dont seem to use upsmash at all. OoS upsmash is honestly quite good even if you wont kill with it sometimes. Great get off me move in some matchups.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Overswarm (MM) vs. Sai (Diddy) Game 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7L7AThjZx4

First set playing a Diddy in tournament. Used 1312 (danger wrap and skull shield). Game one he got beat pretty badly by early danger wrap KOs, game two I got beat pretty badly by not mixing up my approach.

F-smash is a great counter to "banana is thrown" if you time it right, as it makes it impossible for Diddy to follow up (either you can get up while he dodges/shields, or he gets hit with f-smash) but I kept mistiming it. Uncharged F-smash on Diddy's shield while he has a banana in hand is a free grab for Diddy.

Falling danger wrap is a good stopgap measure when falling and they are throwing bananas (it explodes and kills it) but doesn't pressure Diddy much.

Need to just start using jab almost exclusively when Diddy has a banana in hand instead; I know it works, but the possibility of hitting a Diddy with something more substantial is a bit too tempting. :(

Need to start edgeguarding Diddy more with run-off fairs; there's nothing he can do about it and it takes on a lot of damage. If I start z-dropping metal blades -> fair and catch the metal blade, I should be able to z-drop the metal blade again while retreating to the ledge to tap him out of his over-b/up+b and set up for a more reliable back-air.

Diddy is an easy character to avoid in terms of kill moves if you're not dumb like I was for most of that set. If you land immediately next to him you can SDI through his f-smash with ease (up+towards) and his grabs should only kill you if you are near a blast zone. I was dumb and tried to land a cheeky bair and later tried a reverse wake up u-tilt and didn't reverse it, got myself f-smashed. Diddy shouldn't ever be able to f-smash anyone.

Skull shield was useful in the earlier matches when he had a banana in hand, but I couldn't ever capitalize on it. I might switch to plant shield (1313) for future Diddy matchups so I can edgeguard more easily.

TL;DR, jab more when diddy has banana in hand

Overswarm

is laughing at you
@ juice.Zucco juice.Zucco What do you suggest doing to punish Diddy's going for banana on ground? I've been using jab (or landing nair to grab banana) and it takes on some damage, but its been pretty unreliable for me. Once diddy does get the banana I'm typically in a weird spot and in perfect banana range.

I've been using metal blade when they pick it up to deal an extra 5-10% from range, but am hoping to find something more substantial that I'm missing. I want more on stage kill options :|

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Hey guys, I took video of some matches I played against some decent Foxes on For Glory last night. Sorry, but I don't have a capture card, so you'll just have to go off my janky iPhone video off the WiiU controller.

I'll be the first to admit that I was playing pretty sloppily in these matches-- I rolled way too much, didn't use Metal Blade as much as I normally like to, and missed some easy punish opportunities. And I missed so many Leafstools :(

By the point of sharing these particular videos is to show off some of the neat stuff you can do with Leaf Shield and b-sticking. Wave bounced LS is such an amazing head fake and can really make your approaches and edge guard game very unpredictable.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
@ SSGuy SSGuy - You get some utilt kills in the Villager videos that I'm trying to see what you see there. He's shielding and you go for the utilt anyway. Is it because you've crossed him up that you're expecting him to stop shielding/roll/do something OOS? They're great kills, but I'm just curious to know your thinking. (8:26 is an example)
A lot of my U-tilts were based on reading shield drops. I feel like it's more obvious I was baiting it against Donkey Kong. Considering at low percent he would want to combo me for easy damage and at high percent to cargo kill. I knew if he fell for the first one (being that it looks really desperate for a play), he was going to fall for it again.

Also nothing is worse than being TOO close to someone and getting the sourspot of uptilt. Makes me want to just use Downsmash instead.

Honestly I felt like you handled both MUs pretty well, and had some unfortunate SDs in both games. I feel like you should be bullying DK way more though. Just setting up walls against him makes it pretty hard for DK to really get things going. Mix in more metal blades due to how big DK is and how he will almost always either be hit or have to block 3 hits from it and grabbing in general(I overly grab so maybe in wrong about this lol) helps set up and put DK in bad positions.

I dont have alot of experience against villager except for online but I know that metal blades kind of mess up any sort of set ups with trees and rockets that he has, and he cant take the blade away from you so theres not much to worry about. if he decides to just hold it then you adjust properly to what his moveset has been limited to. IMO its a sort of slow MU where you just have to take your time and take what you can get. Being good at powershielding is also a big plus in this MU.

Also you dont seem to use upsmash at all. OoS upsmash is honestly quite good even if you wont kill with it sometimes. Great get off me move in some matchups.
The sour spot on Up Tilt is the reason why I prefer D-Smash. It's actually my favorite kill move. I have used Up-Smash in the past for kills and air dodge reads and looking back I'm surprised it wasn't seen as much. I feel like it could have really messed up Donkey Kong.

I explained this to NinjaLink earlier. While I can imagine Mega Man harassing characters like Donkey Kong a lot more, a lot of my reason to not go in was because of inexperience against the character. Ironically, I play very aggressive against Bowser because I know what to expect. With Donkey Kong, he still feels like a mystery to me and I just give credit to reading my opponent's grab habit to gain the upper hand. (No pun intended)

Villager wasn't too bad but I felt like I have to lame him out to win. The worst part about this set was the F-Smash kill at around 70% and the F-Air to stage death. I can't really stay salty though. I played the set well and that's all I can ask for. I just really hate villagers F-air. It's like our Nair but only dumber.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I only watched the ditto match since I'm in a rush but just a couple quick things.

-Down throw to Fair is a good combo, but (especially at low percents) MB is usually a perfect follow up to keep the combo going as it can easily lead into another grab or dash attack. A couple times I noticed you just fast falling after the Fair and waiting or throwing out a couple lemons. Using MB can help extend that combo most of the time.

-This ones a bit nitpicky, but IMO you should get in the habit of always activating LS while in the air. There's a boatload of startup lag on LS so the short hop LS is the way to go to minimize the risk of getting punished.
Thanks, will do. If ya ever got time to look at the others (at least the Luigi one), it'd be awesome.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
NICE.
But i think the Yoshi clip at 2:41 should have been the one at the end of the video.

Also, that poor DH at 1:15 XD.
Haha yeah from a video editing stand point that would have been perfect. The music was synced up and everything. I definitely thought about it but I just wanted to use up all my 3DS clips since anything I do in the future will likely be on the Wii U version.

Glad you enjoyed it tho!

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581

vs Emery :4dk: (Formerly called Neon)

vs LCG :4villager:
Great comeback against that DK!

Villager is one of my least favorite matchups for MM. It seems like no matter what the match just drags on forever.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
Thanks, will do. If ya ever got time to look at the others (at least the Luigi one), it'd be awesome.
Vs :4luigi:

As you mentioned earlier, you should use LS more. Luigi seemed to control the zoning game with his fireballs and you seemed to be adjusting towards the end of the match but at that point it was too late.

When you launch LS it will eat all of Luigis fireballs which makes it very handy to use as an approach. Another approach option is to use Ftilt and walk slowly towards him. Once you neutralize his fireball game you will open him up for other approaches which will make this MU much more manageable.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Vs :4luigi:

As you mentioned earlier, you should use LS more. Luigi seemed to control the zoning game with his fireballs and you seemed to be adjusting towards the end of the match but at that point it was too late.

When you launch LS it will eat all of Luigis fireballs which makes it very handy to use as an approach. Another approach option is to use Ftilt and walk slowly towards him. Once you neutralize his fireball game you will open him up for other approaches which will make this MU much more manageable.
Does LS clash or cancel Tornado or most of his aerials? If that is the case, then that would be very handy in the MU

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
hey while I don't post much I did upload this set i played in ladder, I lost pretty bad about 2 weeks ago to this guy in ladder so I've been trying to work on my movement and getting around Palu's reflect move.

any input would be greatly appreciated

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
That was a video of you winning pretty solid.
All I can say is enjoy your up smash more often and don't stand still so much when firing lemons. Your pace was a little slow sometimes so it was probably easy for your opponent to get a read on you (I guess). Keep them guessing on where you're going.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
That was a video of you winning pretty solid.
All I can say is enjoy your up smash more often and don't stand still so much when firing lemons. Your pace was a little slow sometimes so it was probably easy for your opponent to get a read on you (I guess). Keep them guessing on where you're going.
There are allot of matches where I am baffeld in terms of what I need to do to win and I will try to upload that. I was trying to use what I seen Zucco and SSGuy do with their short hop lemos. I do need help with figuring the best time to use them.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
That first set, the first round was really tight, i liked the attempt at 1:45 to down smash, Esams block was vs vs crazy as well as the spacing to get back on at 2:07. Very solid movement also the up air pressure like the commentator was speaking about at 2:20! sick. I like the aggressive style that Zucco used vs the pikachu that was just awesome. I enjoyed that first set!

Second match seemed like Zucco really slowed down on pressuring. It seemed like he focused on trying to hit from angles. Maybe its just me idk I'm kinda a scrub XD I'd like to get some more input on the 2nd match!

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Bowser jr. seems stronger than people believed. Zucco had trouble getting jr off of him and that's how he ended up losing. The mechakoopa really made it hard for him to move the way he wanted to and the kart closed up space to get bowser jr. out of mid range. Maybe this is a match up we need to discuss.

Last edited:

Greward

Smash Lord

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
You play pretty similar to me. All I'd say is not to neglect your buster shots. Even so, in that match where you didn't use them much vs Sheik, you still won so what can I say?

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
Bowser jr. seems stronger than people believed. Zucco had trouble getting jr off of him and that's how he ended up losing. The mechakoopa really made it hard for him to move the way he wanted to and the kart closed up space to get bowser jr. out of mid range. Maybe this is a match up we need to discuss.
I honestly I believe that if I were to just camp the entire time it wouldnt have been a problem. I just dont have fun when I commit to playing super lame. I beat him the week before as well, just not on stream so not many people know.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Matches from last tournament. I really should have been a little more patience with Bowser. It wasn't until late I found myself really predicting and respecting Side B. Also looking for other CP suggestions. As much as I love Delfino, I really need to find other places I can really take full advantage. (In case everyone catches on and starts to banning that pick against me.)

Also included my LF doubles set. (Never met my teammate before that night so I am really excited to start practicing doubles with him more often!)

VS. Infinity :4diddy: / Bwett :4falcon: [Teammate: SophistiFunk :rosalina: ]

VS. Bwett :4falcon: (Winners Semis)

VS. Luck :4sheik: (Losers Quarters)

VS. CalmAnimal :4bowser: (Losers Semis)

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
Pretty awesome set between NinjaLink :4megaman: and Mike Kirby :4kirby:. This was the Grand Finals at Smash Attack 1 in Brooklyn. Posted by Team Spooky on YouTube.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
That first kill. Or should I say those first kills. I'll definitely have to be wary of sticking a Crash Bomb on Kirby.
It also makes me very happy that those 2 characters were in the grand finals.

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
That first kill. Or should I say those first kills. I'll definitely have to be wary of sticking a Crash Bomb on Kirby.
It also makes me very happy that those 2 characters were in the grand finals.
Right? I love watching big matches with under utilized characters (not :4diddy:and :4sheik:). The creativity in those is awesome.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think I've been neglecting this thread. Mostly because I'm not sure how exactly to organize the OP.

IDK this could change after Apex/when the metagame hits it's first real high point, but for now the only consistent videos seem to be from SSGuy and Zippo re-posts. Suggestions on what would be most beneficial for you all would be helpful.

By character/player/how to guides? IDK

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Been playing the Blue Bomber a whole helluva lot more, going to a tourney tomorrow and casuals tonight, will record my games there w/ my phone both today and tomorrow. When I do, would like more advice and criticism on my progress, plz, and don't be afraid to criticize me harshly when I do. Harsh criticism is embarassing for me, but I find it to be the best kind of criticism.

Been playing MM so much I'm almost considering on maining him, and even changed my avatar to the needle cannon from MM3 (my personal favorite weapon). Playing Mega Man and watching these videos is fun!

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Have we discussed the Wario matchup yet in that topic? It's a pretty serious one based on my experience. That command grab of his is nasty for a few reasons and his aerial mobility nearly matches Mega Man's (that's one reason I use him).

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
I think I've been neglecting this thread. Mostly because I'm not sure how exactly to organize the OP.

IDK this could change after Apex/when the metagame hits it's first real high point, but for now the only consistent videos seem to be from SSGuy and Zippo re-posts. Suggestions on what would be most beneficial for you all would be helpful.

By character/player/how to guides? IDK

Sounds like you've got the right idea. It seems like a majority of the videos on here are either uploads from a tournament or people uploading FG matches looking for a critique. Then you have a few guides and compilations as well. So maybe the categories could be something like this..

Competitive - This is where you will find uploads of high level players from official tournaments. These videos will typically have commentary and high quality picture.

Guides - Pretty self explanatory. Any guide or "how to" video will go here.

Critiques - People that upload videos specifically to be critiqued and improve their game can go here.

Fun / Other - This is where you can find videos that are posted just for entertainment purposes. Compilation videos and any other kind of fun mega man themed videos people feel like sharing.

Last edited:

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz5QhGYM78s messing around with my capture card and adobe premiere for the first time. Didnt know what to make so I created this video of gimmicky stuff you can do with rush. Im pretty sure there is nothing new to learn from this video lol, just figured id post it. hopefully I learn some better editing skills + dont get lazy when it comes to rerecording better clips.

edit: youtube ****ed up my video trying to fix it now lel

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Have we discussed the Wario matchup yet in that topic? It's a pretty serious one based on my experience. That command grab of his is nasty for a few reasons and his aerial mobility nearly matches Mega Man's (that's one reason I use him).
I dunno, but from my streamed game I learned 2 things stood out to me against Wario:
  • Leaf Shield takes him off his bike if I block it and I get a free shieldgrab hilariously enough
  • Down Tilt Slide beats him out of his command grab if he's on the ground, I should probably use that more next time
  • I didn't utilize this in my particular game, but I was told by a Wario 2ndary user (who mains Pac-Man) that the active hitbox of Bite is only in front of him and is still vulnerable to attacks from above, below, or behind. Bite also cannot eat Pac-Man's apples thrown diagonally from above, so I imagine he may still be vulnerable to diagonally thrown Metal Blades, Air Shooters, or perhaps Hard Knuckle.
Just my thughts from that experience.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Can Wario actually eat Hard Knuckles and Air Shooters? I'd imagine that he can't eat air at the very least.

Top Bottom