• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
RAR huh? Well I just learned something new to start practicing as well as to add to the community guide.

I may be a mod, but that doesn't mean I'm knowledgeable competitively. :p

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Hey, guys. I made a small Combo/Kill Vid today.
The quality is ****, but hey, it is what it is.

It's vs friends and ppl on For Glory:

Sorry for stealing your Leaf Upper, @ BBC7 BBC7 :p
Also, whoever came up with Leaf Stooling deserves a cake.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace

edit: For some reason Youtube makes the video sway. Imma try n fix it.
Hey, at least I know Leaf Upper actually works now.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm jealous of your Z-drop abilities. Admittedly part of that is because my L button doesn't work and I'm waiting for a GC controller to be able to Z-drop anything.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Wow. Z-drop MB --> Hard Knuckle doing a ton of work in your video. I love it.
Ye, I personally think it's easier to hit ppl with a z-dropped MB than a regular HN, and once you hit that MB it's pretty easy to land the HN (or any move really).

I'm jealous of your Z-drop abilities. Admittedly part of that is because my L button doesn't work and I'm waiting for a GC controller to be able to Z-drop anything.
Wow, that sucks, man.
Can't you set that button anywhere else? Or would you rather wait?

~*~*~*~

It's a pretty mingy Combo Vid, not really showcasing that much of Megs' arsenal, but it's on 3DS after all, so I see no point in putting huge amounts of work in it.
When the game comes out for WiiU it's going to be a lot more fun to make Combo Vids.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I use all of my other 3DS buttons and to be honest I don't mind it too much for the short term. I'm surprisingly not bothered by using shield and A to grab, so it's not as bad as it could be.
It's also forcing me to develop other aspects of my game more. When the WiiU version comes out I am probably going to just steal all of your Z-drop tech.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Those two Rush Traps were the sickest part of that video. I need to learn how to deploy that move more effectively against people who try to juggle me, it's such a great way to trap into uair kills.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Those two Rush Traps were the sickest part of that video. I need to learn how to deploy that move more effectively against people who try to juggle me, it's such a great way to trap into uair kills.
Ya, Rush Trapping is plain nasty. I bet it's really frustrating for the opponents if they fall for it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Good to see I'm not the only one who's had some fun with Rush Coil/Air Shooter at the top of the screen. Just gotta what out for Yoshi and his Super Armor aerials so they don't take you with them. ;)

Never thought of Z-dropping Metal Blade off the edge and going for a Hard Knuckle. Doesn't sound that effective, but I'll have to try it for myself.

Probably need to practice throwing MB at the 135 Degree angle, I just don't find the 3DS Pad very suited for such a movement.

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
Ya, Rush Trapping is plain nasty. I bet it's really frustrating for the opponents if they fall for it.
Rush Trapping is my favorite thing to do in this game, by far. Nobody is ever ready for it, and you can literally see the moment people begin to panic because they are no longer where they thought they were gonna be.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
First time vs R.O.B match up, for glory, so it was pretty laggy at some point in the match, but it was a close match regardless. Anyone have any insight on how to deal with Rob?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqpZZZEeb4M
First of all that was a highly entertaining match to watch. You did excellent to come back and win that one and you made great use of your entire arsenal. I really enjoy getting KOs with mega mans Dair so that final stock was epic in my book.

Honestly though, I don't have any advice for the ROB MU because if I'm playing against a good ROB (and in my opinion that was a good ROB) if I manage to win, it isn't pretty and it's always close. His projectiles are just very quick so he often will beat MM to the punch if you're both trying to toss out a projectile at the same time. He's also heavy with really good recovery which makes him particularly tough to KO.

Winter W. Winter

Smash Rookie
NNID
VenExio
3DS FC
1650-1446-7034

Mmmm Z1GMA, that was tasty. Finger licking good.

Winter W. Winter

Smash Rookie
NNID
VenExio
3DS FC
1650-1446-7034
Yeah. All good stuff. Didn't know about the D-tilt being that strong. Makes sense since the hitbox stays out for a long time.

I have another set with that same Mac on stream. (3rd time out of 5 tournaments playing Bwett in winners haha) Played fairly safe this time. Also on top of that, I have a Sheik match that I am feeling salty about. Can't wait to review that one.

In good news, after throwing away the set against Hylen (Toon Link) last week, I successfully 2-0'd him in winners. So the advice is helping. Thanks everyone!

Edit: Got two more videos for you guys. Same Little Mac and finally a Shiek video for me to review.

SSGuy vs Bwett (Little Mac)
SSGuy vs Luck (Sheik)
Always enjoy watching TourneyLocator. Both you and Z1GMA have made me want to play Megaman.
He felt strange in the demo, but I'm enjoying him way more now.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

You're amazing man
Truly an inspiration for megaman players. Gotta love that z drop. It's integral in both of my main's gameplay

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917

My poor sides couldn't handle all the gimps...
Seriously, you are just too good at zDrops. Well , I belive I'll have to practice more online.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Alright. I have my Shockwave 8 videos posted. These Wii U videos are really nice and I can't wait for critiquing. I felt like all of my matches could have gone either way, including the ones I won but I feel so much more comfortable with this character all together compared to the 3DS.

I will place them in the order that they were played and I might make it's own post for the ditto so you guys can discuss it.

VS TheNotSoShyGuy (Little Mac, Shulk)

VS iiGGY (Mega Man)

VS Bwett (Little Mac)

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Alright. I have my Shockwave 8 videos posted. These Wii U videos are really nice and I can't wait for critiquing. I felt like all of my matches could have gone either way, including the ones I won but I feel so much more comfortable with this character all together compared to the 3DS.

I will place them in the order that they were played and I might make it's own post for the ditto so you guys can discuss it.

VS TheNotSoShyGuy (Little Mac, Shulk)

VS iiGGY (Mega Man)

VS Bwett (Little Mac)

Um, hi ^^".

Can anyone comment on this? Cause i can't really give much in the way of a critique, since i am nowhere near the competitive level in this videos, but i wanted to say: these matches were awesome.
In my opinion they where all really close, especially that last one against Bwett.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77

Dimmy

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! Since the Wii U version was finally released, I can stop lurking and actually start posting! Does anyone have any tips for my Mega Man again Captain Falcon? I have a really hard time winning against him since it feels as if he gets more out of his punishes than Mega Man does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1yi7WPPQjY&list=UUFJ48g9BcsNm8P7nWsz-97Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85gW5CGDqxE&list=UUFJ48g9BcsNm8P7nWsz-97Q
From what I can see you need to di and avoid followups a lot better. You let him hit you a lot for free in the air. Also, the difference in you playing at high % and at low % is pretty big. When you were at low % you were fighting him up close all the time and eating a lot of free damage because of it, you were playing to falcons game and pace. When you were at higher percentages in danger of death you did a really good job of spacing and racking up damage so if you play like that more and di better to avoid getting combod in the air your game should improve a lot.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
New to Megaman, and I don't think I know what I'm doing when I play him. How do I become a Super Fighting Robot?

vs. :4link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eBKtB3RS4U&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=1
vs. :4dedede: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-lCFmm7NUU&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=2
vs. :4palutena:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWY_-w8118s&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=3
vs. :132:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGFzTVKC2aY&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=4

Any critique and feedback would be amazing if it helps my game. And if these videos aren't enough for proper critique, there's plenty more where that came from. I am also a little sick and have a sore throat, so please excuse my coughing if you hear any.

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
New to Megaman, and I don't think I know what I'm doing when I play him. How do I become a Super Fighting Robot?
vs. :132:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGFzTVKC2aY&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=4

Any critique and feedback would be amazing if it helps my game. And if these videos aren't enough for proper critique, there's plenty more where that came from. I am also a little sick and have a sore throat, so please excuse my coughing if you hear any.
Just watched the ditto. You could utilize metal blade a lot more for opening up a good string. It seems like to me though, when your opponent is hanging on the edge, you aren't utilizing that time to set up another option for yourself. I'd say that's the biggest thing I'm seeing. That when your waiting for your opponent to climb up, you just kind of stand there waiting.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Just watched the ditto. You could utilize metal blade a lot more for opening up a good string. It seems like to me though, when your opponent is hanging on the edge, you aren't utilizing that time to set up another option for yourself. I'd say that's the biggest thing I'm seeing. That when your waiting for your opponent to climb up, you just kind of stand there waiting.
Both statements are very true, I guess. Didn't know Metal Blade could open up strings, will try to work with that next time. My question is though, what strings exactly can I get from it? The Ledge thing though is most definitely true, and I kinda already knew that a while ago even before you pointed it out. Thing is, I don't really know all of my options whenever I have my opponent handing on the edge, and I mostly expect them to try and get me with a ledge attack so I can punish them with a Dsmash, killing them. Happens to me all the time when playing any character, not just MM. What else could I do besides punish ledge attacks? I think that's definitely where I need to improve most, not just as a Mega Man, but in general. I also need to improve my options whenever I'm the one hanging by the edge, I always just climb up normally and that other Mega Man just killed me with an Fsmash when I did.

Anything else I'm missing? Mega Man specific? Can anyone else rate my Mega Man overall?

Last edited:

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
Here are some for glory matches guys:
:4megaman: vs :4lucina: watch?v=tZo-Rz4alBc&list=PL98KPBAbg-jP_KqpIMDBrPdvpT7gZILS3&index=3
:4megaman: vs :4peach: watch?v=o8yEpbewk7Y&index=2&list=PL98KPBAbg-jP_KqpIMDBrPdvpT7gZILS3
:4megaman: vs :rosalina: watch?v=GG4Q-d5G3X0&index=1&list=PL98KPBAbg-jP_KqpIMDBrPdvpT7gZILS3

I just created this account so i can't post links, any thought would be helpful

P.S:Sorry for the quality of the videos, i recorded them with my phone :awesome:

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
:4megaman:vs:4drmario:http://www.twitch.tv/megaman765/c/5597447

This isn't a full battle, but it's a highlight from a friend of mine's stream. A little after 30 seconds in dr. mario reflects a z-dropped metal blade into a descending Mega and somehow rekts Mega all the way up to 67% from 0%

Can someone tell me what's going on? I'm still not completely sure. ;o

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Seems like he also hit you with his up B, but still, you took like 30+ from that reflected z drop alone O.O.

Anyone know what happened?

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
Dr. Mario's Up B is only supposed to do 13%, right?

It also ends up on the ground, so, he took 4x the damage of metal blade twice, because it fell back down to the ground.

Last edited:

Arle Nadja

NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
It also ends up on the ground, so, he took 4x the damage of metal blade twice, because it fell back down to the ground.
Mega is in the air for the duration, well above the ground, right? I'm having trouble following your train of thought. Like, the metal blade doing the damage makes sense, but the rest of it is missing me.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
Alright guys I just started a YouTube channel called tmontyGAMING and these are a handful of matches that I've uploaded so far.

:4megaman: Vs :4wiifitm: (Wii U) http://youtu.be/B0_xtWMk2tc
:4megaman: Vs :4diddy: (3DS) http://youtu.be/XWzKk1UYIMM
:4megaman: Vs :4ness: (Wii U) http://youtu.be/m9eCThWFyH0
:4megaman: Vs :4yoshi: (3DS) http://youtu.be/8Lgcaph8L_E
:4megaman: Vs :4lucina: (Wii U) http://youtu.be/OObd7pU8K14

I'd consider myself a decent player but I'm just now getting into the competitive scene so I know there's plenty of room for improvement so any kind of feedback / critiques are always welcome.

I've got plenty more videos on my channel and will be updating frequently. I will also post videos of particular match ups upon request if anyone is interested. Thanks for watching!

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
Mega is in the air for the duration, well above the ground, right? I'm having trouble following your train of thought. Like, the metal blade doing the damage makes sense, but the rest of it is missing me.
I'm saying something happened that cause the Metal blade to reflect back upwards and then fall directly back down. That's why I think it hit him for around 40% because Metal blade when reflected/picked up and thrown back does 5% per hit, usually hitting twice is 10%. I'm not sure if Cape doubles the damage of reflect projectiles, but if it does that brings it to 20%. However, usually a Metal blade will disappear after reaching the maximum height because it didn't hit the ground/wall. But in this case, it falls back downward and ends on the ground. So I'm betting that additional 20% of damage came from the metal blade falling back down through megaman. Hence, the absurd amount of damage.

Arle Nadja

NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
So... 20+20+13=53, that still leaves 14 unaccounted for. Maybe since it was moving slower near it's peak it hit an extra time?

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Cape reflects at 1.5x damage, so each metal blade hit does 7.5%

If you slow it down, it goes 7-15-44-52-59-67. First 2 hits are metal blade reflects (pretty clear 7.5x2=15), as are the last 3 hits (44-52-59-67 follow the pattern that a 7.5% move would do). Also, since it goes 44-52, there has to be some kind of fractional % between the 15-44 interval (likely to be a metal blade). Subtracting a metal blade from the 15-44 separates it into 15-37-44.

So, 15-37 is 22%. What's happening here? Up-B has to be in here somewhere, so subtract 13 and we have 9... (dead end). Subtract 15 and we have 7 (which can't be a metal blade because of the pattern of %'s and up-B should be here somewhere). Does the Up-B have a sourspot if you don't land it when it starts? If so, it could do 7% and you get hit by the metal blade twice incredibly quickly because the up-B hits you into it. (most likely in my thinking)

There's some math analysis. :D Hypothesis: 8 reflected metal blade hits (60%) and a sourspot up-B (7%). Or even crazier... he missed the up-B and this was all due to the reflected metal blade (9 hits).

I think the reason why it went up & down is due to the fact that, as an item drop, it's bound by gravity. Definitely nice to note.

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet

I started playing competitive around 2 months ago any advice on becoming an advanced player?

BTW: You guys rock (pun entirely intended)

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581

I started playing competitive around 2 months ago any advice on becoming an advanced player?

BTW: You guys rock (pun entirely intended)
You definitely are heading in the right direction. In your first match I'm not sure if you were just doing it because you were playing a projectile heavy character in Link but lemon spam will get you eaten alive by a higher caliber player. Lemons are great for spacing and should be a staple in your rotation but if you overuse them then they become predictable and easy to punish.

You did a much better job of switching up your moves in the second fight. One thing I didn't see much of (if any at all, I can't remember) was diagonal metal blades. If you throw them straight every time then, just like lemons, they become easy to predict and avoid. If you're constantly switching it up then you can keep people guessing and if you catch someone with a diagonal MB while they're in the air it can really set you up for a big hit or a combo. Check out my videos above and look at the Diddy Kong and Lucina fights in particular for examples of diagonal MB leading to KOs.

The reason why I'm stressing this one tactic in particular is because it's really much easier than you would think. Just spend some time in training mode practicing it and once you get the hang of it, it becomes very natural and that one simple technique will add another dimension to your game.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

8-Bit Brawler

Smash Rookie
hey guys, these videos are so great, thanks to everyone for taking the time. esp. the guys asking for help, those vids are important for other new players as well as your self.

can someone explain rush trapping, or give me the time stamp in the vid so i can see this thing in action. a few of you seem to really rate it.

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
You definitely are heading in the right direction. In your first match I'm not sure if you were just doing it because you were playing a projectile heavy character in Link but lemon spam will get you eaten alive by a higher caliber player. Lemons are great for spacing and should be a staple in your rotation but if you overuse them then they become predictable and easy to punish.

You did a much better job of switching up your moves in the second fight. One thing I didn't see much of (if any at all, I can't remember) was diagonal metal blades. If you throw them straight every time then, just like lemons, they become easy to predict and avoid. If you're constantly switching it up then you can keep people guessing and if you catch someone with a diagonal MB while they're in the air it can really set you up for a big hit or a combo. Check out my videos above and look at the Diddy Kong and Lucina fights in particular for examples of diagonal MB leading to KOs.

The reason why I'm stressing this one tactic in particular is because it's really much easier than you would think. Just spend some time in training mode practicing it and once you get the hang of it, it becomes very natural and that one simple technique will add another dimension to your game.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
I played a few matches with good links before and I found out that if you keep spamming lemons at them you basicly destroy their zooning game since it blocks both boomerangs and arrows. so if you keep shotting it forces them to approach in the air or use bombs and then attack, I was expecting that but the guy didn't adapt so I keep spamming with no punish at all because there was next to no risk.

I tried diagonal blades before but my ds is kinda old so it becomes a bit difficult to use but with enought training I guess there will be no problem
anyway thanks for the tips ;)

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
hey guys, these videos are so great, thanks to everyone for taking the time. esp. the guys asking for help, those vids are important for other new players as well as your self.

can someone explain rush trapping, or give me the time stamp in the vid so i can see this thing in action. a few of you seem to really rate it.
Rush trapping is a high risk / high reward technique that you can use when your opponent is up in the air towards the top of the screen.

What you do is as you are approaching the opponent from underneath, you use rush right as you are below the other person. The other person will then inadvertently hit rush coil as well and fly up above you. At this point your opponent and probably you as well will both be off the screen. By the time the other person is at the peak of their jump you hit them with an Up Air which is pretty much an instant KO regardless of % because of how high up you are.

It's very situational and is best used to catch people off guard. The reason I say it is high risk is because a lot of people start to panic when they fly off the screen and just start hitting buttons. It is possible if you don't get the timing just right that the technique will backfire and the other person will KO you with a neutral air or something like that.

It's definitely a fun technique tho.

Top Bottom