• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
SSGuy,

So I only watched the Lil Mac video since you commented on it. I'll watch the others tomorrow but wanted to comment on this one because I REALLY like the Mac matchup, and have beaten a few good tourney players who use him.

For the most part, I think you did really well in the matchup. The one area I want to comment on (and you mentioned) is his recovery. Mac's one real weakness (as we all know) is his gimpability, so you just HAVE to get a successful edgeguard.
I noticed that you went to fsmash quite a few times, so I'm here to say... That just isn't going to work most of the time, because he can go high. Also, since it has a lot of cooldown, fsmash just isn't going to let you do anything after a miss. It's nice when it lands, but it's just not worth it.

What I like to do is send a metal blade horizontal while standing on the stage. That really limits his side b options, so he generally has to side b early and go high, which leaves him wide open for a bair killer (again you're just standing on stage so it's simple).

Another option is to just chase with a bair, but he has more options there, so you kinda have to out guess him.

Finally, leaf shield is a really good gimper against him... Can lead to footstools, etc... Or you can throw it to do the same thing as the metal blade with a bigger hit box.

If he's on the ledge and you're onstage, a dtilt towards the ledge right after his invincible frames run out really covers a lot of options well (beats get up attack, hold ledge, and ledge jump) and doesn't leave you open on a miss.

Just my 2 cents

juice.Zucco

Smash Cadet
I went to a tournament in NY yesterday and managed to get on stream a few times. I dont know when ClashTournaments will upload to youtube so I can just share the twitch timestamps for now. Unfortunately I lose both of these games, but I already have a good understanding as to why I did and what I can improve on so its alright.

Vs Nakat(Ness)
http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments/b/581731305?t=4h59m00s

Vs Orion(Sheik)
http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments/b/581731305?t=6h45m33s

I used Customs vs Orion because he was using them as well, but went default vs Nakat for the same line of logic.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
SSGuy,

So I only watched the Lil Mac video since you commented on it. I'll watch the others tomorrow but wanted to comment on this one because I REALLY like the Mac matchup, and have beaten a few good tourney players who use him.

For the most part, I think you did really well in the matchup. The one area I want to comment on (and you mentioned) is his recovery. Mac's one real weakness (as we all know) is his gimpability, so you just HAVE to get a successful edgeguard.
I noticed that you went to fsmash quite a few times, so I'm here to say... That just isn't going to work most of the time, because he can go high. Also, since it has a lot of cooldown, fsmash just isn't going to let you do anything after a miss. It's nice when it lands, but it's just not worth it.

What I like to do is send a metal blade horizontal while standing on the stage. That really limits his side b options, so he generally has to side b early and go high, which leaves him wide open for a bair killer (again you're just standing on stage so it's simple).

Another option is to just chase with a bair, but he has more options there, so you kinda have to out guess him.

Finally, leaf shield is a really good gimper against him... Can lead to footstools, etc... Or you can throw it to do the same thing as the metal blade with a bigger hit box.

If he's on the ledge and you're onstage, a dtilt towards the ledge right after his invincible frames run out really covers a lot of options well (beats get up attack, hold ledge, and ledge jump) and doesn't leave you open on a miss.

Just my 2 cents
Yeah. All good stuff. Didn't know about the D-tilt being that strong. Makes sense since the hitbox stays out for a long time.

I have another set with that same Mac on stream. (3rd time out of 5 tournaments playing Bwett in winners haha) Played fairly safe this time. Also on top of that, I have a Sheik match that I am feeling salty about. Can't wait to review that one.

In good news, after throwing away the set against Hylen (Toon Link) last week, I successfully 2-0'd him in winners. So the advice is helping. Thanks everyone!

Edit: Got two more videos for you guys. Same Little Mac and finally a Shiek video for me to review.

SSGuy vs Bwett (Little Mac)
SSGuy vs Luck (Sheik)

Last edited:

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
I'm gonna go ahead and post a video of my own.

That's vs a Yoshi who started out so aggressively, I got totally stressed out and shot crash bombs instead of metal blades etc.

One thing I have thought about myself is to use the pellets more and not use the metal blade when the opponent is very close.
I really should use the pellets more... Any other thoughts about this game?

EDIT:
Also sorry for the bad recording, didn't notice until after recording that the screen was off center and didn't feel like doing it again

Edit2:
Wrong link, lol! Fixed it

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Random for glory match against Peach:

Yeah. All good stuff. Didn't know about the D-tilt being that strong. Makes sense since the hitbox stays out for a long time.

I have another set with that same Mac on stream. (3rd time out of 5 tournaments playing Bwett in winners haha) Played fairly safe this time. Also on top of that, I have a Sheik match that I am feeling salty about. Can't wait to review that one.

In good news, after throwing away the set against Hylen (Toon Link) last week, I successfully 2-0'd him in winners. So the advice is helping. Thanks everyone!

Edit: Got two more videos for you guys. Same Little Mac and finally a Shiek video for me to review.

SSGuy vs Bwett (Little Mac)
SSGuy vs Luck (Sheik)
You did really well against that Sheik, SSG. GGs.
That spotdodge x10 Utilt Kill made my day. Too awesome.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559

Wow, that first kill was nice! Also gotta love that Uair at the end. That move seems so weird and I don't quite get how it works, but I don't love it less because of that ;)...

I'm really impressed with how you handle your aerials, especially that Bair out of shield at one point...I've got to practice that.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

To be honest, when I caught myself in the first side step, I wasn't sure what to do so I kept doing it until I saw any sign of ending lag. Luckily it worked out.

I'm making a promise right now that I will get a sawblade to uptilt KO like you did captured on stream. Really nice setup.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'm making a promise right now that I will get a sawblade to uptilt KO like you did captured on stream. Really nice setup.
Thank you.

Mega man can Utilt you from the air, from the ledges, when beeing juggled. THERE'S NO ESCAPE!!
Killing ppl from a disadvantageous position is too fun.

In theory, whenever you hit somebody with a MB, they die.
(Except a grounded MB, of course)

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'm really impressed with how you handle your aerials, especially that Bair out of shield at one point...I've got to practice that.
I still use his Fair and Bair OoS way too little, though.
There are lots of times where I go like "why didn't I Bair OoS??! WHY!?"

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
When you got the time, do you think you could take a look at my game vs Yoshi that I posted earlier and give me some thought?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
When you got the time, do you think you could take a look at my game vs Yoshi that I posted earlier and give me some thought?
Your timing when throwing MBs diagonally is good. However, I think you need to pay a bit more attention to when they hit the opponent, as it often leads to a grab when a grounded opponent is hit.
Also, more lemons.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, I feel like I rely on it too much sometimes and like I should be working UpB OoS more to get me out of tight spots, especially when shielding near the ledge.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
So I had this game vs a Villager yesterday... I was in a weird mood after some annoying games and I decided to be annoying as well... Did I succeed? Is this even worthy of being called Super Smash Bros.?

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Here's (hopefully) some progress from my videos against my buddy who plays Capt. Falcon. It's been a few weeks in the making.

http://youtu.be/Y0Qq0JuKNd0
I wish I could watch that, but that sideways video :/

First time vs R.O.B match up, for glory, so it was pretty laggy at some point in the match, but it was a close match regardless. Anyone have any insight on how to deal with Rob?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqpZZZEeb4M
Wow that game was sick... Well done handling that R.O.B, his wall tech at around 1:25-1:30 was nice!

I also have a lot of trouble with R.O.B, but I would say what I say to myself in my head every breathing second... "Lemons...Lemons...Lemons"... Also maybe a bit too many dairs for my taste, but really well played!

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
First time vs R.O.B match up, for glory...Anyone have any insight on how to deal with Rob?
You handled that really well for first time vs R.O.B. His long-range arsenal outclasses ours by a long shot. If you try and shoot CB's and MB's from distance, they'll usually eat you up with lasers and gyros, as it seems you learned halfway through the match. Their tilts have good range, so keeping your spacing close enough so that lasers and gyros aren't much of an issue but far enough from their tilts is really tough. That said, if you get ROB into the air, stay close to it. The startup on it's NAir, BAir, and DAir are really long, so if can get in that "blind spot" you have free range with your quick BAir and Fair's. I've yet to face a ROB since I got this advice from a ROB main, but I imagine this is probably decently hard to do. In my book, it's just an unfavorable matchup for us.

Dat wall tech doe.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master

Seems like a good Megaman player. Uses him quite uniquely.
Well thanky. Kalm was the best Ganon I've played

Although it's troublesome that we played like 10 matches and the ONE that got put up was 2 stocking me. Lol.
I'll have to put up one of my 2 stocks to balance that out.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well thanky. Kalm was the best Ganon I've played

Although it's troublesome that we played like 10 matches and the ONE that got put up was 2 stocking me. Lol.
I'll have to put up one of my 2 stocks to balance that out.
Kalm plays Smash 4? That's awesome. He was amazing with Ganon in Brawl too.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
From "Monster Smash", a tournament in Wallingford, CT yesterday. Random matches from Winner's Finals and Grand Finals between LingLing and I.

Egregore (Mega Man) vs LingLing (King Dedede): http://youtu.be/Q20IC_3Bet4

Egregore (Mega Man) vs LingLing (Bowser Jr.): http://youtu.be/PoYJ7D-pvKc

Egregore (Mega Man) vs LingLing (Rosalina): http://youtu.be/BRUsOi8mkI8

Feel free to give advice. I ended up losing to him in the long run, so I needa work on some stuff.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Out of curiosity, what kinds of devices is everyone using to record/upload their replay matches? I don't have a modded 3DS, but I'd like to try and upload some For Glory matches to get help with.

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753
Out of curiosity, what kinds of devices is everyone using to record/upload their replay matches? I don't have a modded 3DS, but I'd like to try and upload some For Glory matches to get help with.
Recording them with your phone should be just fine

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
I'm using a 3DS capture card.

If there is a was a way for you to send me your replays I could re-record then with my capture card and upload them, sadly don't think it's possible.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I record with an iPad lol. Hopefully, once the WiiU game comes out, we won't have this nonsense. We'll just upload replays directly, just like on Mario Kart 8 (this is just an assumption).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oh well. In hindsight, I'll see if I can rent a recording device from my campus's AV Room.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
I got a chance to play against StylesX2 on the Nintendodojo ladder today (his first ranked match, no less). I won the first game, lost the second, and then the third is shown here. Still kicking myself for not saving the first two.

watch?v=NeWfiQqe2K8
(Sorry, I can't post the direct link; I don't have 10 forum posts).

Thoughts? Advice?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master

Seems like a good Megaman player. Uses him quite uniquely.
Another match of me Vs Kalm. I'm not too happy with the video quality of this one... I may re-record it later.

Also, here's a DDD matchup that I particularly like. again, my lighting is off so I'll have to re-record but you can see what's going on.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Another match of me Vs Kalm. I'm not too happy with the video quality of this one... I may re-record it later.

Also, here's a DDD matchup that I particularly like. again, my lighting is off so I'll have to re-record but you can see what's going on.

You're good at that fancy schmancy RAR (Reverse Aerial thing). Any tips? Input is (-- > -< Jump <- Attack) Right?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Yep. What egregore said. Just input the opposite direction that you are running then jump

It's just muscle memory after a while. I used it in Brawl, then again in PM, so it's kinda 2nd nature now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom