• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Untitled2.png

Rules:
1. Limit videos per post to a maximum of 3.

2. Please include player names, characters, date, etc. when posting.

3. Limit videos from yourself to once per week. Gives you a good chance to practice, view progress, and it prevents spam.

4. Please use constructive criticism when critiquing, choose your words carefully. Be as clear as possible.

5. If you're posting a video to be archived please tag the OP owner, and include basic information.

6. Focus on posting videos that are as recent as possible. Something from a year ago won't help anyone.

7. Video guides are always welcome.

8. Do not embed videos, post links instead.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Reserved for later

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Reserved for later

zeriph

Smash Journeyman

I made this as soon as I got my hands on the reward demo. Some of the info is incorrect but a lot of the concepts are still good. I've changed some of my opinions since making it, but the Metal Blade section is fairly informative, I think. I am planning to follow it up with another video (which will be more of a guide than an impressions video) once I get my hands on the full game.

Also, this is my first Smash related video so I was a little nervous. Future videos will be more well-spoken.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
iiGGY and I will both be entered into the next 16 man TLOC tournament come this Friday night which hopefully means more MM videos to study up on.

With that said, do you know if videos from certain players will be archived in the OP?

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Me :4megaman: vs. 1FOW1 :4yoshi:- http://youtu.be/6QN2VUcxVo4
Replay Date: October 4, 2014
MetalBlade > Usmash > Bair at 1:08 felt very satisfying when I pulled it off. Didn't feel like I was pressuring him enough, so that might be something to work on. His Yoshi is really good.

Edit: Major WOOPS. Link should be correct now.

Last edited:

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Help me get better with the blue bomber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii760kO3rU4#t=110 Me v.s Shoepuff(Lucina) 10/03/2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iWW4bsOR-g Me v.s Shoepuff(Lucina) 10/03/2014

In these videos it looks like I'm doing random stuff and at times I am. The reason being I'm trying to figure out a good set up with all of Megaman's projectiles. I feel that when they made megaman they wanted to cater to the fans so they made his moveset to give the feel that every match is like they are fighting a boss in an actual megaman game. So I'm trying to see if I can create an offensive game for megaman and a defensive game. I really think that Megaman is the new snake.

Thank you for the critiques and I'll do what I can to help out with others.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Help me get better with the blue bomber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii760kO3rU4#t=110 Me v.s Shoepuff(Lucina) 10/03/2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iWW4bsOR-g Me v.s Shoepuff(Lucina) 10/03/2014

In these videos it looks like I'm doing random stuff and at times I am. The reason being I'm trying to figure out a good set up with all of Megaman's projectiles. I feel that when they made megaman they wanted to cater to the fans so they made his moveset to give the feel that every match is like they are fighting a boss in an actual megaman game. So I'm trying to see if I can create an offensive game for megaman and a defensive game. I really think that Megaman is the new snake.

Thank you for the critiques and I'll do what I can to help out with others.
Nice vids!

Hey, I have a question. Regarding this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGwptqbxtRw (Megaman vs Little Mac)

What exactly happened at 2:09? It seemed like Megaman traps Little Mac in his Spark Shot usmash, and they both slide across the left side of the platform.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sorry, have been busy, will get around to updating for the first time later today.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Are you saying Megaman has DACUS? Cause that's awesome, and you would have basically discovered it if it is. :O
lol no. I meant his upsmash is probably like Snake's up tilt in that it has a huge hit box. I have a replay where I as luigi jab megaman during his upsmash and I'm not too close to him. The hitboxes clash and the circle thing appears.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
WiFi Friendlies
Kuraudo :4megaman: vs. Firefly :4robinm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA2GKksBCAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AACkuVL_UNA

Kuraudo :4megaman: vs. KillLock :4marth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQF-hk6s6SE

Offline Friendly

Kuraudo :4megaman: vs. Limeeee :4diddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mze-ngPzbbI

--

Any critique/good points/bad points would be appreciated! I recorded a few to display what I thought could show some flaws and some draws. :X I wanted to main Bowser, Lucina and Sonic. Was NOT expecting to be playing Mega Man as much as I have been.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
WiFi Friendlies
Kuraudo :4megaman: vs. Firefly :4robinm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA2GKksBCAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AACkuVL_UNA

Kuraudo :4megaman: vs. KillLock :4marth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQF-hk6s6SE

Offline Friendly

Kuraudo :4megaman: vs. Limeeee :4diddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mze-ngPzbbI

--

Any critique/good points/bad points would be appreciated! I recorded a few to display what I thought could show some flaws and some draws. :X I wanted to main Bowser, Lucina and Sonic. Was NOT expecting to be playing Mega Man as much as I have been.
I think you posted too many links:p
Anyway, from the twwo lat videos, I an say that you're quite good, but you didn't use Leaf Shield vs Marth / Chatge shot vs Diddy. I can understant the lack of Utilt through. I like what you did with the Metal Blades. You should try to launch them diagonaly WITHOUT picking them up.

P.S.: It is the 3rd time I'm writig this T_T

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Oh! Sorry about that. I posted 4 links instead of 3. My bad.

I know that Leaf Blade against shields is good for grabbing, but it's a selective use I find. I can see Charge shot being pretty good against Diddy though with his Side B approach! Thank you!

May I ask why the diagonal launching of metal blades?

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Oh! Sorry about that. I posted 4 links instead of 3. My bad.

I know that Leaf Blade against shields is good for grabbing, but it's a selective use I find. I can see Charge shot being pretty good against Diddy though with his Side B approach! Thank you!

May I ask why the diagonal launching of metal blades?
There was one thread where i read that a diagonaly thrown Metal Blade had enough hitstun to be followed by an Utlit when used in a shorthop. Maybe a Dash Attack to grab it back could work (I will practice during the holidays). And the Leaf Shield has a spike property while offstage, so that's a plus for it. And props to the guys (one on the thread about the LS and to Z1gma) who found 'em :shades:

AirShad

Smash Cadet
Here's some matches between me and my friend. I have a lot of trouble against him... He got me into smash and is trying to get me into the competitive/tourney scene. He's helped me out with teching and other techniques but I still come up short :(. I've won 1 out of MANY matches between us. Any constructive criticism is welcome! I'm trying to work on being unpredictable and finding combos (I know none with megaman as of now). Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7wS5me9oTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jwhr83Bpl8

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Alright, I'm interested in seeing how other people play Mega Man, so I'm doing some video studying today. Before I start, don't take anything I say too seriously, as I'm not a pro or anything, but I enjoy video study (it's a lot like sports film room studying or listening to recordings of your own music). These are mostly knee-jerk reactions to what I see and I definitely don't play perfectly either. I do this to myself to get better every once and a while (after saving replays), so I thought I'd take a look at the videos of other players and see what I can learn.

Thank you for posting these videos. Please don't take offense to anything I say... I try to be as constructive as possible. You all are great players and we're all learning this new game. You're putting yourself out there for everyone to see, so serious props to you.

Going from most recent --> least recent (because I think you've had more time w/ the game to actually develop a play style... or something like that)

@ AirShad AirShad
Captain Falcon 1:
0:28 - Pellets --> grab isn't really a great option. The lag on the 3rd pellet prevents the grab from coming out fast enough. I know it worked the first time... but just for future reference.
1:30 - Air dodging close to the ground can really hurt. The lag on air dodging is pretty significant which led to what happened next.
2:40 - Nice. Whether that was great spacing or just "lucky" that the falcon kick ran out. You reacted appropriately and it was nice.

I like what you're doing with the pellets and you keep your distance well. Captain Falcon's speed is giving you trouble and you're a bit predictable with your rolls and air dodges. Spot dodging & straight up running are decent options that you could've utilized more.

Captain Falcon 2:
0:10 - I like that start. It's pretty unexpected to go so high with Rush at the start of a match and it seemed to catch him a little off guard.
1:00 - Yeah, uptilt is a little unsafe to be throwing it out there.
1:20 - Fully charged mega buster! Love it. (I need to use my FSmash more...)
1:25 - When you're starting to get juggled a bit in the air. Remember that you don't have to go back to the stage right away. Drift away from the stage and recover later.

This looked better than the last match. You held your own... the spike just got you. Unpredictability is just using more of your options. Vary your approaches and escapes. When you use more options, your opponent has a tougher time picking just one to predict. Mega Man doesn't really have a lot of combos. Metal Blade pseudo combos into a lot of the other moves in that it doesn't move particularly fast and you can get to your opponent as they get hit. Check out the Advanced Techniques thread and mess around with the metal blade.
1:54 - That was a sick recovery. I haven't been able to pull off the crash bomb assisted recovery too well, but it looks like you had that one timed exactly as you wanted it.
3:34 - upthrow? Backthrow gets him off stage

When going off stage, if you go off facing the stage, your back air is a more potent aerial with greater range.

Robin 2:
0:24 - I'm confused by the crash bomb usage here. It's like you're trying to play the mid-range projectile game, but why crash bomb instead of MB or lemons?
1:00 - Not a fan of throwing out uptilts to fish for a kill. (I like how you used it to get the kill though. Good punish on the landing lag)
1:23 - Is it just me... or did he just not take the ledge that was there. I haven't played enough Robin to know how his Up-B works next to the ledge.

Something you might consider, since you're using a lot of your MB's as items, is z-dropping the MB. Produces some fun mind games. Otherwise, a solid game. Again, I think you could get a little more mileage out of your BAir as an edge-gaurding weapon as it comes out fast, but your DAirs are solid.

Marth:
1:28 - You probably know this because of the result, but if you decide to use Rush that early to recover high, I think you should commit to it. Otherwise, you're falling down to the ledge pretty open.
2:15 - Great BAir kill.
2:25 - I'd use Rush to safely use that DAir.
3:45 - Nice read :).

When you started to play a little bit more defensively, I suggest using more lemons. Also, there were a couple punishes that you opted for grabs where maybe an uptilt/upsmash could have been a little more punishing.

Diddy:

1:28&1:30 - He's asking for it. Give him the upppercut.
1:45 - Man... you love that run off-->wall jump --> DAir. I want to start doing some of that now.
3:19 - Leaf shield approach made me laugh. In a good way. :)
4:30 - It seemed like you rediscovered your lemons and decided to admire it for a bit. When Diddy's playing that spacing game with his peanuts, why not walk/SH towards him and shoot to approach.
6:15 - Yup. I agree with the leaf shields. Your opponent didn't seem to have an answer the first few times, so keep on going. :)

You got a little too DAir happy off of your ledge jumps and I think it became a bit predictable (leading to the last throw).

All in all, you play the most agressive Mega Man that I've seen. I'm a lot more defensive spacing w/pressure with interspersed aggression to make them respect that I can go in at any time that I want. Using diagonal MB's (non-item) is just a unique approach option that most characters have a hard time dealing with (it's similar to Robin's elfire in that it comes in at a high angle). It also leads to hit-confirm type play where if it hits, you can go in and be aggressive, but if it doesn't, you just back off. I think you could get a little more use out of your lemons & BAir in the mid-range game, but if you're playing close-up I understand the lack of lemons.

Lucina 1:
2:00 - If they're gonna shield the Crash Bomb, throwing out an FSmash will do more shield damage, punish if they do get hit by the crash bomb, and is relatively safe due to its range.
3:00 - That would've been SO COOL if the FSmash hit. Would've lost my mind.
4:08 - uptilt at low percentages is really unsafe. The hit stun is less than the lag, so they get a free hit after you land it (even if it is sweet spotted).
4:30 (and this kind of applies to 3:15 as well) - Wall jumping off the top of your up-B can net you a little bit more height and a ledge grab. You seemed to try and do it the first stock and it missed just a bit, but I don't know if you could've saved your up-B a little longer to get closer to the wall for a wall-jump or not.

In general, I think you could've used more metal blades (and it did feel like you were experimenting with some stuff, which is great!)

Lucina 2:
5:38 - Nice ledge trump --> BAir. Love it.
5:48 - I'm a little curious why you went down so far off the ledge. It kind of seems like you wanted to do a ledge-drop --> jump --> d-Air... but I might be reading too much into it.
6:47 - Nice. :)
7:30 - Yeah... a little too much leaf shield for me. But I get the sentiment... I want to learn how to use it effectively as well.

A lot of good stuff. BAirs were on point. At the mid-range, crash bombs don't seem to be a great choice to repetitively use. Even if they do get hit by it, there's another step to actually getting damage off of it. MB's are a little more straight forward.

Lucina 3: (second video)
0:33 - Nice. I like the DTilt follow after the FAir. You give the impression that you're retreating after landing the down throw--> FAir but come right back.
1:08 - Ahh, here comes the Metal Blades. :) See how it pseudo combos into a lot of things? It can be used to start a lot of your offensive game.
2:20 - Yeah... when she has your Metal Blade, you can't pull out another one. It's an annoying property of Mega Man's projectiles (same thing happens with the crash bomb if it's on the screen).

Oof. Tough loss. So close to killing with that down smash. You did really well in this match. I've found short hop BAir's tough to completely land against grounded opponents (I usually only get 1 or 2 of the hits to land if I do end up hitting my opponent). On to the next one!

Lucina 4:
1st stock: Yeah... I went through it and didn't really have a lot of comments. It was well played on both sides. I guess the only thing I have is that when your opponent is trying to edge guard you that low, try recovering high. You'll be way out of their reach and on the stage before they are.
5:10 - Real nice offensive pressure here. This is the offense that you're looking for.
5:30 - Pellets are nice, but you can afford to play a little riskier when your opponent is stuck with a crash bomb. FSmash away!
5:55 - Oof. Yup. She saw it once, and then adjusted. Probably would've been better to be satisfied with landing the first FAir and got back on the stage.

Well done. Starting to look real good. Throwing out things that are a little bit unsafe (FSmash & UTilt/USmash) that hurt you a little bit, but it's a risk & reward thing that is a balance that comes with more playing.

For an offensive game, I'd watch Kuraudo's videos up above. He/she does a great job of being aggressive. Defensively, I think you're on the right track. A little more MB's (experiment with it both as an item and as a normal special) and pellets (jump when you want to retreat and it becomes a lot safer) will improve your defensive game. I agree, it feels like playing against a Mega Man boss... so jump and shoot constantly and try not to get hit like in a Mega Man game. It's not like your powers are going to run out in this one. :)

First minute: Man... that Yoshi is just dancing around doing whatever he wants. You're holding your own, but you seem like you're either standing still or full-on retreating. Try dancing with him a bit. Retreating with some back-airs and showing off your horizontal movement might have discouraged him from constantly pressuring you. Also, retreating aerial lemons are a great spacing tool as well.

1:12 - You liked that USmash --> BAir and wanted to do it again, didn't you. :p
1:40 - Got a little roll happy here for my taste. Rolls are good, but started to get a little predictable and it slowed you down compared to the more simple walking/running in that direction. Roll-->DTilt looks really cool and is a lot of fun to do, but it can get predictable.

You are on the right track, more pressure would've helped stave off his relentless attacking. When using the jabs/FTilt on the ground, jump afterwards. That way you can be a little bit more mobile without dealing with the lag of the last shot. I'll be honest though, that Yoshi was fun to watch. :p

Phew. That was fun. Mega Man looks really strong, guys. Great work.

I hope my comments help, and if you have any questions about any of them, definitely ask me. I learned a lot from all of your videos, so a big thank you.

~Locke

PS: Iggy, SS guy, and Cain. I watched but kind of ignored your videos because they were before the international release. I hope you don't mind (and I bet your play style with Mega Man has changed somewhat since then?).

PPS: Cain. Downright dominance on that Marth though. Fun stuff.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
This guy's Fox is INSANE:
Me:4megaman: vs. Mo:4fox: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ6jKcDgjPQ (10-11-14)
Weirdly enough, I thinkthat the Fox player got weaker at the end :-/
The one problem I see is that you used the Utilt out of it's kill %. Use Usmash instead. And when the CB gets sticked to you, go for a grab/dash attack, since you have 3 seconds before it blasts.
But you did adapt well in your 2nd stock :p

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Weirdly enough, I thinkthat the Fox player got weaker at the end :-/
The one problem I see is that you used the Utilt out of it's kill %. Use Usmash instead. And when the CB gets sticked to you, go for a grab/dash attack, since you have 3 seconds before it blasts.
But you did adapt well in your 2nd stock :p
Yeah, I guess I did adapt well. But man, this guy's really fast and aggressive. I felt like I was a Brawl player playing against a Melee veteran, lol.

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
I'll be uploading matches of me getting bodied.

This match actually went in my favor for the most part considering all the dropped inputs on my part. This is vs a DK player from my stream.

Chance :4megaman: vs Drake :4dk::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYkHbMuGnDM

All criticism, tips and so on are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I'll be uploading matches of me getting bodied.

This match actually went in my favor for the most part considering all the dropped inputs on my part. This is vs a DK player from my stream.

Chance :4megaman: vs Drake :4dk::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYkHbMuGnDM

All criticism, tips and so on are greatly appreciated.
Flawless victory :shades:
I think there were some occasions where you could have used your Usmash ( I won't talk about Utilt :p )
Aside from that, I can't really say anything.

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Flawless victory :shades:
I think there were some occasions where you could have used your Usmash ( I won't talk about Utilt :p )
Aside from that, I can't really say anything.
Yeah I definitely agree with that. Even on hard reads on rolls I use D-Smash and get punished badly for it, need to stay more safe with U-Smash. :)

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXXbWl9JNVk

vs. SHIG (Yoshi).

Another one of Daiki from the previous Umebura (I hope he keeps up with using Mega Man in coming Umes). He only uses him in the second round (pants-Shulk in first, waifu-Robin in third) but it's against a Yoshi player so it could be some good education since Yoshi's a pretty considerate threat in this game.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Locke 06 (:4megaman:) v Spirst (:4greninja:)
1: http://youtu.be/E6Dh58QHAWc
2: http://youtu.be/DsiVHirXoM0 (A ridiculous and weird shadow sneak SD in this one)
3: http://youtu.be/X5yqE5tucIA

3 of some great matches I've had with a Greninja main, Spirst. Footage courtesy of Spirst. (there's a 4th on his channel and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up uploading some matches we have in the future. He's a cool guy... but he stays up too late)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Posting my matches from last week's weekly. They are in the order of which I played them.

As I am making this post, I am reviewing these matches for the first time. I am really not sure what I can do to capitalize on a good Little Mac. He will really smart getting back to the ledge. Aside from that, everything else seemed pretty standard. I could have been a bit more patient with Toon Link but no johns.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
@ SSGuy SSGuy :

I didn't watch the match against Little Mac but I did watch the other two.

While I do want to congratulate you on how well you land those Dairs and Utilts, please for the love of god play the damage game. You should have won the set against Hylen and you threw it away by trying so hard to force kills. If they're not leaving themselves open to kill moves, then just keep chipping away until everything becomes a kill move.
Also UpB out of stuff more. There's a lot of damage against TL I think you could have avoided by UpB-ing out (Could be wrong though as I don't have a lot of TL experience, so maybe you were unable to UpB out of those combos).

That said, great job all around and great Megaman. I look forward to seeing you do even better next time!

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Posting my matches from last week's weekly. They are in the order of which I played them.

As I am making this post, I am reviewing these matches for the first time. I am really not sure what I can do to capitalize on a good Little Mac. He will really smart getting back to the ledge. Aside from that, everything else seemed pretty standard. I could have been a bit more patient with Toon Link but no johns.
You did great last week. Fun watching you.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
@ SSGuy SSGuy :

I didn't watch the match against Little Mac but I did watch the other two.

While I do want to congratulate you on how well you land those Dairs and Utilts, please for the love of god play the damage game. You should have won the set against Hylen and you threw it away by trying so hard to force kills. If they're not leaving themselves open to kill moves, then just keep chipping away until everything becomes a kill move.
Also UpB out of stuff more. There's a lot of damage against TL I think you could have avoided by UpB-ing out (Could be wrong though as I don't have a lot of TL experience, so maybe you were unable to UpB out of those combos).

That said, great job all around and great Megaman. I look forward to seeing you do even better next time!
You don't have to remind me lol.

Reviewing that match was heartbreaking because I found a way to adapt during Game 2 (even with a fortunate KO) and have a healthy lead game 3 dwindle away. During the match, I wasn't even aware how much I was looking to Up-tilt. That's the worst feeling about it. I will have to keep that in mind for next time. I swear, I feel like one of those times, I was trying to Up-Smash but no johns.

I will just try to approve on where I currently stand because while a personal best is always nice, it's still not where I want to be. I'm going to keep working on it.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
This is a match I played on stream, I seem to struggle vs characters like this =s

I also thought it was worth posting this awesome video i found

Top Bottom