• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Because that is my first time messing around with Maya ever, so I thought that Sven would be good to practice with. I am not expecting my first items to be implemented in the workshop so you don't need to worry about that. I do know that Sven has a lot of items in the workshop, so that is why I chose him: For references. :3

I have also good ideas for PA, Puck, Visage, Meepo and a new courier. But I cannot work on these if I don't know how to model properly and implement stuff in the workshop. I'm just getting started. :)
Well, disregard my comments then :)

wezai

Smash Journeyman
The first here post has a lot, and probably all, the information you'll ever need: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100016

Worst case scenario, just ask and they can answer you. The stuff you have to do to get this working requires a bit of advance user knowledge of rigging and all that jazz.

;P I think that sword looks cool though!
-DD
Thanks a lot! Looks like I will be getting so busy in my free time. I wish you good look with the contest by the way. You were very helpful! :3

Well, disregard my comments then :)
No problems. :)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
What are the limitations to item creation? Ei, could you do something along the lines of retexturing jakiro so that perhaps he was a green/gold dragon

wezai

Smash Journeyman
What are the limitations to item creation? Ei, could you do something along the lines of retexturing jakiro so that perhaps he was a green/gold dragon
As far as I know, you can't change the base model (nor its textures). However, you can create geometry on top of the base model and those parts will be the items/accessories. But I think that radically changing the color of a hero is more unlikely to be accepted. If the colors you choose to go with match and are cohesive with your set in harmony, then I think it's acceptable (like Invoker, some Gondar items and that have a different color than the original parts, but match the hero concept somehow).

I think the only hero that was re-textured was Tiny for his glacial set, but I am not sure.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'd say that's pretty unlikely to happen, since colour is how you tell what level of ultimate he has.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think you are thinking of Dragon Knight. I am not aware of Jakiro's appearance changing based on his ultimate.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah, that is. Man, that early start's killed my brain tonight.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
No biggy man haha

I just want items for characters i actually use: Venomancer, Enigma, Jakiro, Rubick, Leshrac...

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
As far as I know, you can't change the base model (nor its textures). However, you can create geometry on top of the base model and those parts will be the items/accessories. But I think that radically changing the color of a hero is more unlikely to be accepted. If the colors you choose to go with match and are cohesive with your set in harmony, then I think it's acceptable (like Invoker, some Gondar items and that have a different color than the original parts, but match the hero concept somehow).

I think the only hero that was re-textured was Tiny for his glacial set, but I am not sure.
You are exactly correct. Only items can be made to be put on top of the heroes, their base models cannot be modified at all, and for the contest you need to do a set of [at least] 3 items for one character.

So for my QoP set I was thinking of giving her some Raven Wings, Some really ornate Crown/Tiara (or maybe a modified one in such a way that it wraps around her horns), and then some really royalty-looking dagger.

Valve released some pdf files discussing how to design with hero's colors and other stuff in mind that's a pretty good thing to look at if you're getting started.

The only other character I was really interested in doing something with was Templar Assassin, but I don't know what to do. Lol.

EDIT:
Sorry, most of those Heroes aren't on the list that valve wants us to make items for. Venomancer is on there but I don't really want to make items for a Hydralisk. :p

[But some people are! http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106360]
-DD

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I want more items for my cheese *** heroes

played a scrim last night with alch as pusher carry, had heart radiance phase ac at 22 mins while still dying like 3 times before that

that hero is dumb as now

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
alchemist really is a legitimate hero
my team lost versus nth's alchemist lineup yesterday. we shut down black really hard (15 minute vanguard/soul ring/phase boots) but he still had 25 minute radiance ac. maybe he got bfury? can't remember. but it was ********. two tier 4 items in 10 minutes

when he had those items I was playing thd and he would kill me in 5-6 hits (which is like 3 seconds) despite me being one of tankiest supports in the game

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
alchemist really is a legitimate hero
my team lost versus nth's alchemist lineup yesterday. we shut down black really hard (15 minute vanguard/soul ring/phase boots) but he still had 25 minute radiance ac. maybe he got bfury? can't remember. but it was ********. two tier 4 items in 10 minutes

when he had those items I was playing thd and he would kill me in 5-6 hits (which is like 3 seconds) despite me being one of tankiest supports in the game
wait till we see burning's alch

25 minute rad ac heart travels bfury abbysal with buyback money

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
wait till we see burning's alch

25 minute rad ac heart travels bfury abbysal with buyback money
not to take away from burning's ability to farm but I'm not sure he's so far beyond black
black wasn't the most impressive player in terms of decisions in lane (there were a few times I was shocked at how out of position he would go) but the man is a ****ing maniac in terms of farming

and once he has items he really has a strong grasp of which fights he can and can't take

does anybody have an extra beta key they can give me?

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I wanna see ZSMJ's Alchemist. Burning is good at farming, but man... ZSMJ is a legend. Good times! Too bad he is not in the competitive scene anymore as far as I know? Correct me if I am wrong.

By the way. we are getting a major update soon with this Halloween coming. A lot of new props are ready and I believe we might get 3 or 2 heroes (Cent, Dusa and Slark).

Ahh, its gonna be fun. ^^

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
not to take away from burning's ability to farm but I'm not sure he's so far beyond black
black wasn't the most impressive player in terms of decisions in lane (there were a few times I was shocked at how out of position he would go) but the man is a ****ing maniac in terms of farming

and once he has items he really has a strong grasp of which fights he can and can't take

does anybody have an extra beta key they can give me?
burnings the one we will see playing alch soon maybe

not black or zmsj anytime soon, this aint dream team baby, this is reality

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Well, pretty sure Centaur is coming this week since there's already accidentally been Double Edge changes in previous patch notes. I like playing him a lot so Im pretty pumped.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i heard centaur is one of the most competitive heros yet to be released

dota 1 was a foggy memory i am very excited for a new hero (thats guaranteed to be sick)

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
i heard centaur is one of the most competitive heros yet to be released

dota 1 was a foggy memory i am very excited for a new hero (thats guaranteed to be sick)
a good amount of the un-released heroes will change the meta. I'm personally looking forward to techies in a scrim environment since theyre so fun to play agains non hs+ teams.

I'm curious to see if they change arc warden enough to make him not break the meta aswell

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I was expecting it, Valve seem to like Halloween events (see TF2). Nevertheless, it looks pretty good. It's interesting, gives a fresh feeling to the game, plus, who doesn't like eye-candies like this once in awhile?

I like. :)

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
im hoping for some tight halloween outfits, i want some full on dumb *** looking alchemist or qop items

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Looks like there's some sort of special game mode involving roshan and Candy.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I think those green points in the map will be an area that will respawn ghosts/zombies (maybe even Baby Roshan), and when we kill them, we get some sort of bonus. But really, all we can do for now is a guesswork. Very hard to tell.

I must have that Baby Roshan courier.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
guys, ROOT gaming was casted by luminous twice today and we are in the top 4 of the thor qualifier
if we win next round we will likely meet Absolute Legends in the finals and it should be a really great set
come support us and watch our games!! we play tomorrow, I believe around 12-1p central

you can always watch http://www.twitch.tv/koreyah 's livestream to see the games from our carry player's perspective, including our skype chat

the games we played today are here:
http://www.twitch.tv/luminousinverse/b/336118716 2:47:15

also I am willing to answer any dota/life related questions for you guys, I'm considering creating my own Q+A thread on the forums, do you guys think this is a good idea and would you like to have that as a resource to help you develop as players?
if ROOT can take some tournaments I will get enough money to upgrade my PC and be able to livestream which would help infinitely in my ability to teach people
also Fun+I are strongly considering giving gaming lessons. would you guys have any interest in that, and do you think the dota community would receive us well? you can talk to Reneblade about my knowledge+helpfulness in dota, I really do think I can significantly improve people's gameplay

Vyke

Smash Champion
I think you're getting ahead of yourself, I can practically feel the excitement coming from your posts. Keep a level head.

Lovage

Smash Hero
damn that's sick dude

i think i've watched you scrim before just tuning into KoReYa's stream

GLGLGLLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGL

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
also here's a post I made on the ROOT forums in response to a guy asking how to come back from really bad starts. i think that some people may find useful information here

brock li said:
This really depends on what role you're playing.
If you're playing a carry hero, you need to find a way to get your farm to catch up. Kills are ideal, but especially if you're playing solo in match making, it can be difficult to convince people to gank your lane. Make sure that you're good at last hitting heroes and take any kill that you can get.
Ask your supports to start stacking camps for you if you're capable of farming them (gyro, melee hero with battlefury, drow with lifesteal, necrolyte, etc), and stack any camp every chance you get. ALWAYS carry a teleport and use it to maximize your farm. If the game is progressing in such a way that you are able to static farm your lane, DO IT for as long as you can. Static farming is when you do not push your lane, by autoattack denying when necessary and only hitting creeps for the last hit, and the wave just stays where it is. With practice and patience you can do this on command, and it is crucial to playing carry. It allows you to hold the lane somewhere safe (in front of your tower, for instance) and to farm to your heart's content. Circumstances where you cannot static farm are when your other lanes are being pushed--instead of teamfighting and risking death with your team, push your lane back and take the tower trade. When you are behind from a bad start, teamfighting is typically going to make you more behind (depends if you have a teamfight lineup/if you 5 man vs their 3-4man, etc).
When your lane is pushed and your map awareness tells you it isn't safe to farm anymore, go into your jungle (keeping in mind where ganks are likely to come from, and that you are not very safe is your t1/t2 towers are gone that give tp access for your team to your jungle). Look for lanes to tp to and farm. As soon as you see a wave pushing to your tower, tp just before the wave gets there, ensuring you don't give free damage on your tower to the enemy team. And make sure they aren't pushing that, because then you are tping into death.

Support heroes usually get back into the game by ganking. When your tri lane fails, go gank. When you are down 0-5 in the first 5 minutes, go buy a smoke and gank. You need to work on having the awareness of where it is best to gank. Did the enemy team tri lane with their carry and have they been pulling the lane constantly? You probably shouldn't go into their jungle then. What you can do is gank their mid lane. Another option is to single pull a wave in your safe lane, in order to stack your creep waves when the siege comes (3 minutes, 6 minute 30 seconds are the first two). Smoke gank behind their hard laner, kill them, and push that tower. If you succeed you've just got your boots.
Another way to increase your gank success rate is to really work on your awareness. To take away some ambiguity, here are the essential aspects of what I mean when I say "awareness":
1. Using wards in strategic spots+looking at lanes to see what heroes are on map
2. Watching when they go off map and thinking where they are probably going--to pull creeps? to push mid? are they just hiding in fog in their tri lane to try to get a kill when someone goes out of position in their lane? Are they responding to a push in another lane?
3. Check inventories CONSTANTLY. Try to get to the point that even if somebody is walking through ward vision for 2 seconds, you've checked their inventory. Specifically, check for teleports. This is something I feel that I'm very good at--I'm always telling my team if supports have no tps, because it means you can tower dive in your ganks. It also means you can go push towers.

Another useful way to play catchup on support, provided you cannot gank, is to start stacking camps for your carry. When they come and farm it, make sure you are there to get the exp.
Stack->pull your lane and give your starting regen to your carry so they can tank the enemy wave under tower. You both farm this way, while denying exp and gold to the enemy hard laner (but this can be the wrong decision, for instance, if they are pushing your hard lane. Respond by defending if you can or counter pushing if you can't).
And do not repeat mistakes. By this I mean if you go ganking, and your ganks failed, stop trying to gank. If you are tri laning and you keep dying to the enemy tri lane, stop trying to tri lane.

The number one way to catch up as a support hero is to NOT DIE. This should be one of the best skills you have as a support. Can you kite carries really well in fights and pull them so far out of it that it wins your team the fight? Can you position well enough that you soak up damage but never actually die, while getting your spells off? Can you bait yourself well? If you can, you're going to get back in the game simply by the gold that you get for being present.

Playing catch-up in hardlane is similar to that of as a carry. Find a way to find your farm, and stop dying.

If you're mid, ask for ganks, or go ganking yourself. CONTROL THE RUNES. The easiest way to win your mid lane, even against better players, is to have so much mana+hp regen that the skill difference is nullified.

Top Bottom