• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Yeah, I wasnt a fan of those picks or that set. Or how they chose to lane that last game with those picks.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Last 2 games were upsetting.

*spoilers after this point*

Dendi DK and Puppy Rubick? You have the best Rubick player in the world and you give him DK. Puppy had no idea what he was doing and Dendi was feeding.

After seeing their WB matches, it looked like NaVi wasn't trying or even purposely trying to lose. Also, the fact that there was only 1 set despite NaVi being from the winner bracket (no reset) bothered me.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Congrats to iG, they deserved the victory for getting all their stuff together and showing that they were really prepared in terms of coordination and individual skills in the Grand Finals.

The best series of the whole tournament was LGD vs Na'Vi, undoubtedly the best matches I have seen in my life. So many high level plays, it's insane. I think Na'Vi was the most entertaining team to watch too, specially when they were beating every top Chinese team in Winner's Bracket.

It's just over but I cannot wait already for TI3 this next year. Very entertaining weekend. I was lucky my gf was working noon shifts till late night, so I got to watch all the games without getting her pissed.

Was nice hearing the crowd cheer for good plays. Now we will get back to the normal routine and keep getting the heroes released. Meepo is very close to release and I believe Magnus and Centaur too. :)

wezai

Smash Journeyman
^ Nice.

I have been playing some Rubick matches a lot this past month. The problem is that I am too inconsistent, sometimes I do exceedingly well, sometimes I don't. I am training with him, he is a super fun hero.

I am happy at least once I was the force that drove my team to victory, and they recognized it. :D

Now talking about commendations, I am happy randomly someone says they will commend me for friendliness. I think that for the amount of matches I have played, the amount of commends I got is fair enough compared to the majority of the players. Nothing stellar, though.

By the way, did we get a patch update yesterday? I didn't check yet, I wonder if we will get one today and what not.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I don't recall a client update, I was on at a couple different times yest.

Rubick is one of my favorite heroes now. I like tapping into some of dendi's strategies and using a lot of the things I enjoy about fox in melee; be mobile, be threatening, but don't get hit. With Rubick, you need to make the opponents make the first move so that you can steal a powerful spell and turn it back on their team along with telekinesis and fadebolt for CC. Force staff and blink dagger combined add an incredible amount of mobility to allow you to go from safely outside the battle to center stage when the time comes. Also, Rubick takes a lot of both specific and universal game knowledge; you have to know when and why the other team will use their spells and the best way(s) to use that to your advantage.

As for the commend, im not really sure where that came from. It was probably because I was being really flashy with my spells (I was keeping forcestaff and blink on c/d and was being really obnoxious with the spells I stole).

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I don't recall a client update, I was on at a couple different times yest.

Rubick is one of my favorite heroes now. I like tapping into some of dendi's strategies and using a lot of the things I enjoy about fox in melee; be mobile, be threatening, but don't get hit. With Rubick, you need to make the opponents make the first move so that you can steal a powerful spell and turn it back on their team along with telekinesis and fadebolt for CC. Force staff and blink dagger combined add an incredible amount of mobility to allow you to go from safely outside the battle to center stage when the time comes. Also, Rubick takes a lot of both specific and universal game knowledge; you have to know when and why the other team will use their spells and the best way(s) to use that to your advantage.

As for the commend, im not really sure where that came from. It was probably because I was being really flashy with my spells (I was keeping forcestaff and blink on c/d and was being really obnoxious with the spells I stole).
That is a nice way of playing him.

Oh, and I love Rubick! Just awhile ago, playing against Morphling, stole morph, got my AGI converted to STR. Then I stole Waveform (gotta love mobility + nuke in one spell). The entire enemy team went to Rosh a few minutes later, Beastmaster had a Hawk scouting it, I got closer from the top, Forcestaffed in, last hit Roshan (so lucky it was LAST HIT, my damage was so low), stole Aegies, and Waveformed out after dodging a Pudge's hook.

Feels great doing that. Everybody was surprised I managed to do all that without dying. That match we lost though, it was a nice match. Very close to both sides. The enemies called GG but we kept defending with honor, and we stretched the game for like another 25 minutes almost destroying their ancient. Even though we lost, it's always nice to have these kind of matches. GG WP both teams. :)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
That is a nice way of playing him.

Oh, and I love Rubick! Just awhile ago, playing against Morphling, stole morph, got my AGI converted to STR. Then I stole Waveform (gotta love mobility + nuke in one spell). The entire enemy team went to Rosh a few minutes later, Beastmaster had a Hawk scouting it, I got closer from the top, Forcestaffed in, last hit Roshan (so lucky it was LAST HIT, my damage was so low), stole Aegies, and Waveformed out after dodging a Pudge's hook.

Feels great doing that. Everybody was surprised I managed to do all that without dying. That match we lost though, it was a nice match. Very close to both sides. The enemies called GG but we kept defending with honor, and we stretched the game for like another 25 minutes almost destroying their ancient. Even though we lost, it's always nice to have these kind of matches. GG WP both teams. :)
I love games like that man. I won a game the other night where we were down a rax ~25min but managed to rally and win in ~50min. Very close game.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
a little late but whatever

I think the nyx pick was fine. They drafted him for the long stun duration and spiked carapace. Nyx has great synergy with rubick--3s stuns on multiple people is never a bad pick. He was played badly though. And to be fair to your point, although I think Nyx is absolutely a strong pick in a tri lane I really question his viability. Also, Dendi DK was stupid too but it really appeared to me that NaVi didn't care so much anymore (million dollar johns).

They had opportunities to pick Nyx that were better, specifically vs invoker. Before I quit my epic team we would draft Nyx to solo mid vs invoker--a lane that is in fact in Nyx's favor, HEAVILY so if it is an exort invoker. Nyx is a viable tournament pick, but you need a hs player on him who is going to hit multiple people with the stun frequently. He's best with rubick or ds to pull people together.

LGD NaVi was the highest skill DotA I have ever seen played. TI2 did not disappoint (besides gf)

OBT

Savior of the Pandas
NNID
smuckersjam
Can anybody help me "cross over" from LoL? I played dota religiously from 2007-2009, and when I saw the gamescom 2011 trailer for dota 2, it was the best fan girl squeal ever. So I signed up for the beta, got my key, and now I don't know how to transition from LoL, which is what I've been playing all this time. Can anyone halp?
Oh yeah, my favorite heroes in dota were dragon knight, beast master, and pudge, just in case.
:phone:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Can anybody help me "cross over" from LoL? I played dota religiously from 2007-2009, and when I saw the gamescom 2011 trailer for dota 2, it was the best fan girl squeal ever. So I signed up for the beta, got my key, and now I don't know how to transition from LoL, which is what I've been playing all this time. Can anyone halp?
Oh yeah, my favorite heroes in dota were dragon knight, beast master, and pudge, just in case.
You can play with me. But I recommend reading the following.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/otygb/switching_from_league_of_legends_what_should_i/

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Played a CM game today where the captain actually knew what he was doing and we only had 2 noobs on the team (1 top and 1 bot, thankfully split up). Team was brewmaster mid, veno/naga bot and kotl/lesh top. Pretty enjoyable, my venomancer is getting to be very legit (i cant remember the last game i've actually lost while playing him), though I am kinda getting bored. I've been trying some other characters; Dazzle used to be one of my favs but now hes kinda meh (unless i have the right teammates i guess). Dark seer is really funny because hes kinda a carry (he needs lots of levels) but also a huge support. Enigma is a really easy char, definitely top tier IMO. First game I played him I went dire top, my lane partner disconnected and around level 5 i got firstblood double kill just by malefice and focusing with minions lol.

Anyways, with school happening now, this is pretty much my only gaming outlet. I've probably clocked way too many hours considering im a little behind in school, but dota is too fun. I'm not really advertising or anything, but I'm looking for a team to play with. I met some south american guys in my games and they were decent/good so I added them. We havent lost a game (out of 3 or 4, big woop), but i'd like a group that I can actually talk with/strategize with because that makes the game a lot more fun for me. If anyone could point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it :)

Turazrok

Smash Master
You should probably watch tournament play to get an idea of powerful picks etc. that's what I always did! Do your research!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I have. I've watched almost everything from the international (ok not really, but at least 10 sets, most of which were Bo3)

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
inhouse leagues are a good direction to go, ive played quite a few (nadl, odl, tlih) and while inhouse leagues can be just as bad as mm sometimes, its good because you get to:

A: experience drafting over picking
B: better chance of getting people who want to actually win rather than troll/muck around with friends (open leagues still suffer from this)
c: chance of bumping into people who are also looking to make teams

getting a group of like minded decent people is always hard, so its best to just branch out into more useful outlets to form a group of people willing to scrim with you

unlfortunately theres no real good recruitment outlet currently, just branching out with your social network is the best bet :/

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
tlih is an inhouse league, some of them have ways of applying online through forums/trial games, some have open seasons then the better players in the open seasons go into the closed season.

just look for which leagues apply to you (NAdl i assume as well as tl ih) and have a look on their websites

tlih is team liquid in house, they have open leagues and just use an irc bot to make games

nadl is an invite only sort of leagues, im pretty sure they did trial games at one point too but im not sure if they currently operate

i have a group of friends i play with so im pretty out of touch atm with ih leagues since i get more than enough scrims as it is

EDIT: im looking for you while im at work, pretty bored here so finding out about this is fun

EDIT 2: looks like theres no major inhouse leagues out there atm, nadl gone tlih dead, what a hard life. best bet is to just go google and search for dota 2 inhouse league and then filter to last month. good luck, youll need it :(

EDIT 3: check gosu gamers maybe, i cant actually look at it thanks to the work place restrictions lol

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Ahh, cannot wait for Meepo in the main client tonight. It's gonna be fun! :D
playing earth shaker for the next week

played with friends who fed really bad since i dragged them up into higher skill bracket

end up jumping on a smurf and go 28-4 as ethreal blade + dagon bloodseeker, what a fun game

D

Deleted member

does each meepo u summon have their own CDs on abilities or is it all shared

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
does each meepo u summon have their own CDs on abilities or is it all shared
Every meepo has different cds. So yes its possible to perma*net someone at lvl 16.

If someone picks Meepo, just pick anyone with a nuke. The guy has piss poor hp on his clones.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
One team picked Lich vs our meepo. I he would just wander up on the meepo and ult him and laugh.

That said, i haven't seen a meepo played correctly yet. You're supposed to use your gosu multitasking to get exp in multiple lanes/jungle and then suddenly pop out at 16 when the other solo is ~13.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
One team picked Lich vs our meepo. I he would just wander up on the meepo and ult him and laugh.

That said, i haven't seen a meepo played correctly yet. You're supposed to use your gosu multitasking to get exp in multiple lanes/jungle and then suddenly pop out at 16 when the other solo is ~13.
I was able to hit 16 when everyone else was 12, but I still got solod by a lina.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Last night I managed to win a hard game as Meepo. My enemies were good, they got like 5 heroes to counter me, including Earthshaker. They were expecting me to team-fight and **** my face (which was happening a lot early game, they were too ganker-heavy chasing my Meepo). That got me a little underleveled, luckily we had good pushing potential, my other 4 team mates were doing a good job on putting pressure to them.

So I just farmed Boots of Travel and pushed hard all the lanes. If there is a fighting attempt in one lane, I'll just tp to another one and keep farming, if they tp back to defend, I'll just tp to another lane or join my team which now would have 5 heroes versus 4 or 3. You gotta love BoT on Meepo, he has too much mobility. Everytime I would see Magina free farming a lane, I would tp there with all my 4 Meepos, instalocking him with my nets, even though he was fed, he would almost died and then blink away and back-off.

The turning point of that match was when I got Mek and Pipe quickly after I finished BoT. Then we could join fights without problem. We would split their team apart, picking them off 1 by 1 (Nature Prophet's teleport was very handy).

But yea, very hard match indeed. I suggest people to pick Meepo as last-pick or not pick him at all for now. The enemies are trying too hard to counter him, maybe because they wanted to pick him themselves, and since they couldn't now they will counter him. :p

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
It's not that so much as a lot of the really good heroes counter Meepo anyway. Although there's definitely some counterpicking going on, and if you really want to Meepo the best way in a pub is to wait till horn sounds.

That said, early tranquils on meepo the best.

Top Bottom