• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doomsday Partical Accelerator (LHC thread)

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Yea, but that's if physics worked:laugh:

Supposedly dark matter which was recently discovered, is supposed to hold the answer to all our questions about the Universe. The only problem (although being worked on) is how to create dark matter.
I like how you just keep saying things when you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. That's a good trait. It will get you far in politics or business.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work so well in science.

Dark matter isn't some special kind of super matter. The only thing different about it compared to regular matter is that it's never been seen or detected. The only reason we know it is there is because of its gravitational effect on other, visible bits of matter (planets and stars and such).

So, yeah. Nobody wants to create dark matter.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
The scientists were just bored. They just said, "Hey, we can get lots of money. Lets see how we can smash stuff together really fast and make it look scientific"

Before they were going to create an even bigger particle accelerator (I forgot where, I think in the USA)due to conflicts, but the conflicts ended so they didn't build it. Oh and their priority wasn't going to be dark matter, it's supposed to be the fourth spacial dimention and the Higgs boson to complete their model.

Saché

Smash Rookie
I read read about this on an afternoon magazine. I'm just your regular folk, no degree on science, so I can't say much about whenever it's true or not... But to me, this DOES sound a bit more convincing than your everyday religious "OMG THIS TUESDAY THE WORLD IS GONNA END"-whillywholly. I guess I'm kinda worried, but not to the point when I would quit my job and go dancing naked in the city yelling "DOOMSDAY IS COMING!!!"...
I'll just wait and see if we're all dead in 4 years before I'll blame the creators of this machine for anything. Just hope they know what they're doing. :p

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I actually thought the alarms were real until the blackhole came out of nowhere.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Well, I did think that we were screwing ourselves over (please don't take that the wrong way >_>).
As I went through school, I asked all my friends if they were Christians, and they said yes.
I'm fine with that.

But something interesting came to mind:
We could not possibly destroy the world that quickly with one stupid machine.
I've read Revelations like 3 times, but I can't remember much.
What I CAN remember is that we aren't going to die from some black hole.

So, why worry?
Just sit back and watch what crap scientists put themselves into.
It's funny.

And I admit, I was praying almost to tears Wednesday that I wouldn't die.
I'm too young :(

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Wow... this is human stupidity at its finest.

How is some useless knowledge worth putting the entire planet at risk (albeit a supposedly improbable risk)?

Where did these scientists get the right to put everyone's lives at risk?

Ah well... I'll laugh if this opens a portal to Hell or some funny **** like that. :laugh:

slave1

Smash Lord
Wow... this is human stupidity at its finest.

How is some useless knowledge worth putting the entire planet at risk (albeit a supposedly improbable risk)?

Where did these scientists get the right to put everyone's lives at risk?

Ah well... I'll laugh if this opens a portal to Hell or some funny **** like that. :laugh:
i dont know the last time you took an intelligence test but if you design a machine and facility that is three hundred feet underground, seventeen miles around or so, and when the tunnels met were only a centimeter off you are not stupid. these people are as smart as it gets and you think you can call them stupid for being scientist. and no it will not blow up the world. simple as that. the chief designer said if it would have killed everyone he would not be there.

who knows what they will learn in these up coming months. you might be suprised

Validbadbadman

Smash Cadet
I highly doubt this experiment will create a black hole and kill us all (others have already provided evidence on how it won't) mainly my intuition just keeps telling me that there is no way something that bad could come from this experiment. Really its quite silly because this experiment could prove or disprove many things about or universe and could really benefit humanity in understanding how we got here. I don't understand why people like to believe this stuff as nothing good comes from it as you're only making yourself live in fear.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
i dont know the last time you took an intelligence test but if you design a machine and facility that is three hundred feet underground, seventeen miles around or so, and when the tunnels met were only a centimeter off you are not stupid. these people are as smart as it gets and you think you can call them stupid for being scientist. and no it will not blow up the world. simple as that. the chief designer said if it would have killed everyone he would not be there.

who knows what they will learn in these up coming months. you might be suprised
Yes... because of course scientists are the epitome of intelligence in the universe. :ohwell:

Did I say that it would destroy the world? No I didn't. Did I say that it would create a black hole. No I didn't. But it could do all sorts of things that they could never predict. You know why? Because human knowledge can only account for so much.

Btw... don't insult the intelligence of another Smash Board member... if you have to stoop that low, chances are they are smarter than you.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Anything science related has risk. Going to the moon might have angered the moon monsters and doomed us all.

Didn't happen though.
Hahaha.. as funny as that would have been, thats completely different. What you are suggesting is practically an impossibility, while a black hole (or other unexpected effect) is a possibility (albeit a small one.)

cF=)

Smash Lord
But it could do all sorts of things that they could never predict.
Have you ever read an introductory book to quantum physics and the knowledge we currently have about this field? Right, you haven't, so how can you critique people who could crush your body with the weight of knowledge they have? About everything in this experiment is known except the quarks that we hope to discover by giving protons a sufficient amount of energy during their collapse.

These engineers are far from letting anything happen without knowing the consequences. YOU are the idiot behind a computer monitor with absolutely no clue of what's behind this experiment and the possible technological advancements we could gather from it.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hahaha.. as funny as that would have been, thats completely different. What you are suggesting is practically an impossibility, while a black hole (or other unexpected effect) is a possibility (albeit a small one.)
Creating a black hole is practically an impossibility, but going to our closest celestial neighbor and finding there's aliens there was a possibility (albeit a small one).

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I say that everyone in the world should have to sign a waiver ahead of time just in case we do all die. I mean really, even if there is an insignificantly small chance we'll all die I still want to at least be asked my permission if it's ok for the world to possibley end. Physicists are jerks. And did these guys even get a license to build a doomsday device? Um... last I checked no. They didn't. How about we all go work on a real science like pharmacology and work on doing practical stuff like curing the common cold. Stupid physics and it's not real "science".

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
woah, i didn't know this was still going... lol.

i don't think the worlds gunna asplode or get sucked into a black whole or what not. but like brawlbro said, whatever we find is gunna be cool.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I say that everyone in the world should have to sign a waiver ahead of time just in case we do all die. I mean really, even if there is an insignificantly small chance we'll all die I still want to at least be asked my permission if it's ok for the world to possibley end. Physicists are jerks. And did these guys even get a license to build a doomsday device? Um... last I checked no. They didn't. How about we all go work on a real science like pharmacology and work on doing practical stuff like curing the common cold. Stupid physics and it's not real "science".
You didn't read any of the other posts did you?

Also, lol.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Nicely done, sir.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
The discoveries this machine could make for us sound really amazing.

However, I have to admit I am a little bit afraid of the black hole thing. The most horrible peril in all the universe!! "A gym teacher?" Okay, second most horrible peril.

PCHU

Smash Lord
The world shall not end until God says so....

It's odd how everyone is panicking over this situation.
I do understand this has the potential to kill us all, but I think that scientists are smart enough to know what it does and what they're doing.
Of course, we've said that several times and people have died.

But seriously, a BLACK HOLE?
Just by slamming two particles together?
I doubt it would do any such thing.
It will probably make one amazing explosion, but most likely nothing more.
Or it could rip space itself, and as the rip spreads throughout the universe we all become unstable and die.

You decide, smashboards.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
The world shall not end until God says so....

It's odd how everyone is panicking over this situation.
I do understand this has the potential to kill us all, but I think that scientists are smart enough to know what it does and what they're doing.
Of course, we've said that several times and people have died.

But seriously, a BLACK HOLE?
Just by slamming two particles together?
I doubt it would do any such thing.
It will probably make one amazing explosion, but most likely nothing more.
Or it could rip space itself, and as the rip spreads throughout the universe we all become unstable and die.

You decide, smashboards.
what it is is that smashing the particles together with such a force would mess something up, causing a particle called a "strangelet." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangelet

it'd be so dense, that it'd suck everything around it, and those particles it sucks in would become a part of the strangelet... becoming denser and denser... etc.

something like that

PCHU

Smash Lord
I'm going with the Bible on this one.
I really doubt something like that could happen on Earth.
If it could, shouldn't it have already happened?

Also, I hear that there is a black hole in the center of the Milky Way.
So, one day, are we all going to be flung one way at an incredibly ridiculous speed, hurtling toward certain death?

God made the universe, but he also stuffed us on this planet.
Notice that it's perfect for us, we're the perfect distance from the Sun, and everything is just PERFECT for eating and living in/ off of?
I don't think it was coincidence, and though you may not see what I mean by all this, I'm trying to say that the setup we're in is a perfect place to live in.
The universe wasn't created to eventually kill us, and really I have no idea why it was created (I know the solar system, but everything else......?), but don't you think that it was made to where we'd be safe from random crap like this?

Notice we aren't within range of anything extremely catastrophic, and the scientists believe that galaxies are moving away from each other?

My point:
It'd be so freakin' GAY if we died because we tripped into a particle's fsmash which has knockback toward the end of our Final Destination.
If stuff like that is possible, chances are we wouldn't be here, and the rest of the universe would SD.

If you think about it, Black Holes are so broken.
I mean, they suck in LIGHT.
Not to mention you can't DI out of them.
So, if everything got sucked up by Black Holes, then all that would be left are Black Holes, and since Black Holes suck, then they would slowly Magnet Pull toward each other, finally resulting in an Infinite Dimensional Cape that has the potential to tear reality itself.

Fortunately, we have God to stop stuff like that through natural means.

Question: What happens when two Black Holes collide?
I've answered it in my own way.......but what's your theory?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Black holes are super condensed matter, with enough gravity to draw in light. They are not worm holes. When two of them collide the gravity and mass get increased. They do not cancel each other out.

cF=)

Smash Lord
You decide, smashboards.
Smashboards does not decides, advanced knowledge of particles and related equations do. It's not because this technology is 100 feet over your head that someone does not understand it clearly enough to know the consequences of such experiment.

Again, everybody's stupidity about this kind of situation is not an argument.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Smashboards does not decides, advanced knowledge of particles and related equations do. It's not because this technology is 100 feet over your head that someone does not understand it clearly enough to know the consequences of such experiment.

Again, everybody's stupidity about this kind of situation is not an argument.
.........You didn't notice the sarcasm?
Whatever....
Anyway, I suppose my work here is done.
We're not going to be killed.
We won't open up a black hole.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I'm going with the Bible on this one.
I really doubt something like that could happen on Earth.
If it could, shouldn't it have already happened?
thats like saying back in the mid 1900's "well, a nuclear explosions never happened yet, so why should it now?" No it shouldn't have, since when did pre-us have the technology to do so?

(btw, i'm not athiest, but imo, bibles just a book. by no means is anything scientific fully explained)

Also, I hear that there is a black hole in the center of the Milky Way.
So, one day, are we all going to be flung one way at an incredibly ridiculous speed, hurtling toward certain death?
actually... yeah, if our solar system lasts that long. and we are already traveling at a ridiculous speed. you just can't tell.

God made the universe, but he also stuffed us on this planet.
Notice that it's perfect for us, we're the perfect distance from the Sun, and everything is just PERFECT for eating and living in/ off of?
I don't think it was coincidence, and though you may not see what I mean by all this, I'm trying to say that the setup we're in is a perfect place to live in.
There are at least 1,000,000,000,000 other planets in the same exact distance from their sun, and are you gunna say that, against the odds, another planet couldn't have some how coincidently gotten the same sort of conditions are us? In which life could exist?

The universe wasn't created to eventually kill us, and really I have no idea why it was created (I know the solar system, but everything else......?), but don't you think that it was made to where we'd be safe from random crap like this?
Everything lives to eventually die one day. However it may be can't be determined. And this sin't the universe, this black hole wouldn't by any means take out the entire universe, possibly not even our own solar system.

My point:
It'd be so freakin' GAY if we died because we tripped into a particle's fsmash which has knockback toward the end of our Final Destination.

If you think about it, Black Holes are so broken.
I mean, they suck in LIGHT.
Not to mention you can't DI out of them.
So, if everything got sucked up by Black Holes, then all that would be left are Black Holes, and since Black Holes suck, then they would slowly Magnet Pull toward each other, finally resulting in an Infinite Dimensional Cape that has the potential to tear reality itself.
that much i agree with, lol.

Question: What happens when two Black Holes collide?
I've answered it in my own way.......but what's your theory?
same thing as two falcon punches >.>

odds are, that wouldn't happen. black holes in the universe form usually by super novas doin somethin weird (correct me if i'm wrong) and suns couldn't be close enough to eachother, nor have the same exact lifespan, to have 2 supernovas that could result in such a setting.

but my assumption is simply this. the greater black hole would devour the other.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Sorry if I'm wrong, but isn't a black hole made from an incredibly unstable star that keeps compacting itself until it's like super dense?
My memory of my report on black holes is rather fuzzy.....:urg:

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
No. A black hole if formed when a very large star reachs the end of it's life cycle. The force of fission is less then gravity and it collapses on itself creating a red star. Then a black hole. You cannot 'open' up a black hole.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
He was joking... few people actually believe in the 12/21/2012 doomsday.

Nothing scientifically or biblically backs it up (we do agree sometimes. :))

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
On the edge of Final Destination waiting to kill y
same thing as two falcon punches >.>

odds are, that wouldn't happen. black holes in the universe form usually by super novas doin somethin weird (correct me if i'm wrong) and suns couldn't be close enough to eachother, nor have the same exact lifespan, to have 2 supernovas that could result in such a setting.

but my assumption is simply this. the greater black hole would devour the other.
They already know what will happen. They are "watching" two collide right now. Granted it will take severel million or billion years to do so. When they collide they will merge and produce a burst of gravitational radiation.

And about the 12/21/2012. Only the mayans predicted it no one else, AND IT IS NOT DOOMSDAY. They said the world will restart its cycle then thats all, they also said this is the worlds fourth cycle. And if you read up on it even the mayans don't believe thats when the world ends, because they talk about dates after that.

Top Bottom