• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doomsday Partical Accelerator (LHC thread)

PCHU

Smash Lord
By a burst of gravitational radiation, do you mean that we all get blown away?

And if one DOES swallow up another, wouldn't it make the large Black Hole unstable?
I'm theorizing that when the smaller Black Hole is swallowed, it not only creates a LARGER Black Hole, but also sucks in matter from the inside of the Black Hole, if that makes sense.
And since Black Holes are already estimated to be able to rip through space and time, would that not create a HUGE dimensional Rift, or whatever?

My bad that I'm not that educated in terms of Black Holes.
So, help me out here.
If a Black Hole is a mass of matter that's so dense that it sucks up other matter, why is it called a Black Hole?
Is it truly a 'hole' in space?
Wikipedia is beating around the bush, I want straight facts.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Black holes do not rip space. They're called black holes because they are not visible. The large gravity draws in light and none of it escapes hence the name 'black hole'. It's not a hole in space.

Edit: Black holes cannot become unstable. Also they're a mile wide in radius, I think...

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
On the edge of Final Destination waiting to kill y
They only add their masses together thats all. And yes the burst would destroy us but would take even longer after the said amount of years to even reach Earth.

No black holes are not holes at all, Its just the term that stuck because when first discovered thats what we thought they where. Kinda like starfish, there not actually fish.

And they don't "rip" they cause gravitational time dialation, which is relevant to the size of the black hole and distance to it. So you would only get more time dilation.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I just read an incredibly informative article on black holes.
I understand more now, so.....

Wow.
What is there to truly say?
We can't possibly create a black hole.

So why is this discussion still here?
Also....
If 'white holes' do exist, then wouldn't their center be a hole in some other part of space, quite possibly a supermassive black hole that's so supermassive that it transports matter FASTER than light?

This topic is going off of itself.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
i wouldn't say it is, its helping everyone understand exactly why this won't happen

white holes do not exist. because black holes aren't wormholes. my astronomy teacher was explaining that a couple days ago.

doomweasel

Smash Cadet
And about the 12/21/2012. Only the mayans predicted it no one else, AND IT IS NOT DOOMSDAY. They said the world will restart its cycle then thats all, they also said this is the worlds fourth cycle. And if you read up on it even the mayans don't believe thats when the world ends, because they talk about dates after that.
Well, then, I hope I get reincarnated into the fifth cycle as someone more important. Like a world leader or something.

Darkslash

Smash Master
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/10/cern-only-one-crowbar-received-gordon-freeman-impossible-to-f/

Turns out they got 1 CROWBAR!!! AND NOW ITS MISSING
PLUS THIS GUY!!!

Even more terrible news, folks: CERN, the group responsible for the Large Hadron Collider, have only received one crowbar. In a message to Joystiq, "Large Hadron Rap" creator alpinekat (who also happens to work with CERN on the project) told us, "To my knowledge, there has been only one crowbar sent to CERN. I tried to track down that man, but he's impossible to find."

"That man" she is referring to is the Gordon Freeman, of Half-Life infamy, we saw in the picture above. The Large Hadron Collider is currently halted until Spring 2009 due to a "magnet failure" ... or was it? With a supposed malfunction and a missing Gordon Freeman, we need not worry: at least he's got a crowbar.
Its nice to still get a lol out of this.

tyler36

Smash Cadet
actually the black hole would take thousands of years to develop and for it to exist there must be a large alternate universe

Top Bottom