• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't you love it when people scream, "SONIC IS CHEAP!"?

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Sonic is cheap. I hear Nintendo didn't have to pay much in royalties to put him in the game.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Are you sure Nair beats the mortar? I just tested it a bunch more, and I can't get it to happen. I'm talking about the mortar as it's rising and falling in the air; the two other stages have different properties. (One stage is on Snake as he whips out the machinery, and the other is the explosion when the mortar collides with something.) When an attack destroys the mortar, you should see a blue-grey "clash bubble", and the mortar will explode harmlessly.
/QUOTE]

You can break the morar during both parts.
You have to hit it during the initial frames of the Nair.
\Sonic has three just like MK though i believe his vary in terms of hurtbox to hitbox ratios a.k.a. Priority.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I think the people who find him cheap have just never grown up with Sonic the (E)dgehog in his Genesis days...wait a minute, you're telling me he IS indeed a HEDGEHOG?!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
dude seriously haha, he can double spring too its just like wtf were the creators thinking :D
This only works very rarely without having Sonic take damage.

Speaking of double-spring jumping, does anybody know if R.O.B.'s up-b can trigger Sonic's double-springer?

infomon

Smash Scientist
You can break the morar during both parts.
You have to hit it during the initial frames of the Nair.
\Sonic has three just like MK though i believe his vary in terms of hurtbox to hitbox ratios a.k.a. Priority.
Hrrrrm.... I'll try again tonight...... or do you think you'd be able to send me a video of this happening? I can't for the life of me get it. Actually if you can break the mortar with any of MK's aerials, or even his slashy ground attacks (like his jabs and smashes), that would be cool to see. AFAICT most of his moves can't clash with anything. The exception is his glide attack, and non-slashy attacks like his dash, drill, and tornado.

I'll send you my wii code if you're willing.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
sonic's spring is the cheapest move in the game.... it does damage and knock back and stage kills people wtf
BA DOIIING!

I think Sonic's Homing Attack is cheap. It's far too much like the Homing Attack in his 3D games

It has **** aim and always bloody misses and gets you killed at the worst times

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
BA DOIIING!

I think Sonic's Homing Attack is cheap. It's far too much like the Homing Attack in his 3D games

It has **** aim and always bloody misses and gets you killed at the worst times
I have surprising accuracy with the homing attack in games like Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes. Smash got it in its worst form, but at least it still kills.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I never ever ever ever use HA. It's the most useless move in Brawl.
Ok, that was a bit of a hyperbole, but it's by far Sonic's worst attack. It's freakin useless. I only ever use it for the offstage kill.
Where upon it misses, without fail, and shoots me down and away from the stage where it's difficult/impossible at times to recover.
I HATE IT. It's a pile of ass and fail.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I actually use Ha to fake out some fo my opponents after a spindash special, they think I'm going to go down to the stage and charge up an Usmash but I use HA to delay my landing and it actually hits them after they're still in the ending lag of their Usmash, It's fun for mindgames.

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
A couple of days ago I was playing some friendly matches with my buddy from college. I beat his Game & Watch three times, and after I came back from a 2 to 1 stock deficit (with both of us at 0% at the time) to win the final match, he complained that Sonic was cheap because of his speed....this coming from somebody who mains one of the worst matchups possible for Sonic. :p....all I could do was shake my head in disbelief

R4ZE

Smash Ace
just proves skill goes further than anything.
which is why i love smash

1. HA is a very usefull attack. mainly to just pull out when they dont expect it, and it pwnz recovery. as long as ur below ppl with HA u can usually hit them when they try to recover. worth trying most of the time anyway.

2. When snake uses cypher and goes REALLY high, jump as high as u can, and time ur HA to hit right when he releases cypher. GREAT way to chase kill snake.

3. if you use HA properly. it has pretty good accuracy, i dont really have any way to explain it accurately, but u do develop a "feel" for it.

Browny

Smash Hater
1. HA is a very usefull attack. mainly to just pull out when they dont expect it, and it pwnz recovery. as long as ur below ppl with HA u can usually hit them when they try to recover. worth trying most of the time anyway.
I cant emphasize this enough... HA ***** recoveries like marios when you use it from below

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
i cant emphasise how much ha disrupts an opponents aerials. in that they assume u'll b somewhere and then thanks to the ha's rising startup they miss u u hit them out of the lag. :)

StrongGaia

Smash Rookie
He he, that was awesome Tenki. What was with that random kid asking about digimon?

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Sonic IS cheap. Obviously.

- Too heavy.
- great range
- great priority
- handy projectiles
- good in field control
- great kill mo-- Wait....

Oops that was Snake. Wait, just let me get on with Sonic.

- Uber strong projectile (It does FOUR whole % damage !!!!Ubertier anyone?)
- Good range. (His smash outranges even Squirtles grab! O_o)
- High priority. (He can outprioritize Meta Knight, assuming that the Knight does not attack.)
- good kill moves. (He can easily kill at 300%, sometimes even earlier.)

So yes. Sonic is pretty unbeatable. Everyone knows that. Silly.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
so ummm is this old news.... or does HA knock snake of cipher all the time?

i just hit a computer stand iwht HA from BELOW, and it completely knocked him off cupher and killed him below 100%.

so. wait... sonic > snake. so doesnt that mean sonic is top tier? and the ebst char in the game? i think so. ;)

Umby

Smash Master
so ummm is this old news.... or does HA knock snake of cipher all the time?

i just hit a computer stand iwht HA from BELOW, and it completely knocked him off cupher and killed him below 100%.

so. wait... sonic > snake. so doesnt that mean sonic is top tier? and the ebst char in the game? i think so. ;)
That's obviously a flawed argument that I can't even joke about.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
If I remember correctly from what Da K.I.D said, anything that's 1 hit and does more than 7% will knock snake off.

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
There's no better feeling than counterpicking Sonic on someone and just annoying them to no end. It's a great way to show how tiers aren't that important on an individual basis, unless you're at the top of competitive playing.

Sonic is one of the best characters to beat a predictable player with.

Tenki

Smash Hero
There's no better feeling than counterpicking Sonic on someone and just annoying them to no end. It's a great way to show how tiers aren't that important on an individual basis, unless you're at the top of competitive playing.

Sonic is one of the best characters to beat a predictable player with.
It depends.

I was playing a wifi friendly with a friend who felt inspired to use Sonic against me, so I random'd and got Link, and we ended up on Bridge of Eldin.

On his last stock, the bridge got destroyed, and he'd camp on the other side taunting, and if I tried to start to cross, he'd go over and to the other side.

It was really annoying.

I mean, I can understand people being frustrated to play me when they get predictable/in a rythm and I just move out of smash range every time I do a move, then run back and grab+continue, but he wasn't even trying to attack and wasn't even doing it for the mindgames.

...Next round, I 3stocked him with Sonic =.=;
lol, inside, I was thinking HA, TRY RUNNING FROM ME NOW! predictchasepunishchaseapproachknockbackrechase.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
...Next round, I 3stocked him with Sonic =.=;
lol, inside, I was thinking HA, TRY RUNNING FROM ME NOW! predictchasepunishchaseapproachknockbackrechase.
Epic. Haha.

I seriously can't stand playing against Sonic, unless I'm Sonic. Heck, even Sonic ditto's are annoying because your one thing you have an uber-advantage on, ground speed, is gone.

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
If I remember correctly from what Da K.I.D said, anything that's 1 hit and does more than 7% will knock snake off.
You may be interested in [thread=182223]The Armor Project[/thread], which has all the nitty gritty details about how I discovered that 7% threshold. Basically, a single hitbox must deal MORE than 7% to break the Cypher Armor (it doesn't matter if the attack is multi-hit or not; it only matters if any of those hitboxes deals more than 7%). Any hitbox that deals exactly 7% or less will not. The initial hit of Sonic's n-air and the Homing Attack both do more than 7% when fresh, so they'll both work.

R4ZE: since Snake goes uber high with his Cypher, putting him close to the KO ceiling, it does make sense that Homing Attack could kill him up there even at surprisingly low percents. Sounds like an awesome use for an attack that is otherwise not especially incredible.

/RtEB

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
People still complaining about the 5th worst in the game?! Send them my way if they have a good connection, I need something to make me lol. Trust, I like Sonic mindgamez :p.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Epic. Haha.

I seriously can't stand playing against Sonic, unless I'm Sonic. Heck, even Sonic ditto's are annoying because your one thing you have an uber-advantage on, ground speed, is gone.
lol

I used to have that problem, hating Sonic dittos because of the speed being even.

.__.;

Now I have... other advantages to fall back on, like knowing what moves beat what, knowing what to bait and punish, and... (most of the time) better reading ability and traps/mindgames.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
You may be interested in [thread=182223]The Armor Project[/thread], which has all the nitty gritty details about how I discovered that 7% threshold. Basically, a single hitbox must deal MORE than 7% to break the Cypher Armor (it doesn't matter if the attack is multi-hit or not; it only matters if any of those hitboxes deals more than 7%). Any hitbox that deals exactly 7% or less will not. The initial hit of Sonic's n-air and the Homing Attack both do more than 7% when fresh, so they'll both work.

R4ZE: since Snake goes uber high with his Cypher, putting him close to the KO ceiling, it does make sense that Homing Attack could kill him up there even at surprisingly low percents. Sounds like an awesome use for an attack that is otherwise not especially incredible.

/RtEB
Snake's remote mine can knock out our chances of a Star KO at that height unless we are really quick.

Tenki

Smash Hero

/RtEB
Unfortunately, Homing Attack doesn't tend to send upwards, and if he's holding down to fastfall and gets knocked off the cypher, it'll send him downwards.

a B-air at that height, however...
- No DI: possible side KO
- Up DI: pretty much guaranteed star KO
- Down DI: almost guaranteed side KO

------------

lol I was playing with a friend today and every time I did some sort of chase kill, and taunt, he'd say "I'm too cheap" to mock the taunt.

Later, I visited his place and played Brawl with some of his friends, and he was talking about how I was 'good' with Sonic, so his friend wanted to 1v1 to test me out lol. During the game, one of the guys watching was like "I thought Sonic sucked?", then I pulled off a spring>B-air KO for the flashylulz, and did more stunts like circling under Final Destination without using a wall jump or HA.

At the end of the match, I had 180% at 3 stocks and tried to take his Lucas to U-throw star KO % for the final kill, but he suicided at 170% >_<;

I'm so silly lol.

Top Bottom