• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't Stop Billievin' Sat. 6/6 -- Chu-dat confirmed -- update: check last post

Jon?

Smash Champion
I understand your reasoning, PP. But from personal experiences, a lot of Metaknight players I have played against has not studied the matchup versus Falco which puts me in favor.

All in all, I don't think Metaknight warrants a ban. He's not impossible to beat. Plus, I don't recall any tournaments in NC within the past few months being dominated by Metaknights.

@Smith: the Falco/MK matchup is neutral as well. No one knows that because Falco is one of the least played characters that is "high tier".

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Jon, if you're going to argue this correctly, go off of raw facts, not what you yourself (or our still developing state) have "realized".

You saying that studying the MK matchup makes it even makes no sense because the MK can study the Falco matchup and make it disadvantageous for Falco.

NC doesn't have to be dominated by MKs to warrant a ban. Places like MD/VA, California, NY/NJ, or Texas should be dominated to warrant a ban(a huge OOS tournament, WHOBO, had just the placings to warrant MKs permanent BAN in Texas. Do you know why? The top 15 placings[save two] at that national tournament were ALL Meta Knight. It was only then, using RAW tournament DATA that Texas decided to ban MK).

I could even argue this in basic character attributes, but I don't plan on doing so. I'm merely pointing out why that type of argument doesn't fly.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Plus, I don't recall any tournaments in NC within the past few months being dominated by Metaknights.
That does not matter. He is a dumb, broken, over-power, easy-to-play character and he should be banned whether he is winning tournaments or not. The only reason I have not banned him at previous tournaments is because he is not banned very often out of state or at big tournaments and practice against him is necessary. However, NC has a lot of tournaments now and banning mk at one tournament is not going to make a difference in the overall scheme of things except for that I believe it will be make this tournament better. Plus the good players will practice vs. mk on their own.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Plus the good players will practice vs. mk on their own.
That part makes me sad for multiple reasons. One of which being that I doubt anyone will put time into MK if he is banned (permanently that is).

Again, I'm not arguing, just pointing out the part that makes me sad.

Oh well, guess I'll go tear my hair out over online....

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
That part makes me sad for multiple reasons. One of which being that I doubt anyone will put time into MK if he is banned (permanently that is).

Again, I'm not arguing, just pointing out the part that makes me sad.

Oh well, guess I'll go tear my hair out over online....
It's true though.

Jon?

Smash Champion
Do as you wish for your tourny, Bill.

I don't mind having MK ban, it's just one less matchup to practice/study up for. I just don't like the idea of having a banned character. Don't get me wrong, I hate MK as a character as much as the other guy.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Do as you wish for your tourny, Bill.

I don't mind having MK ban, it's just one less matchup to practice/study up for. I'm just not in favor of having a banned character. Don't get me wrong, I hate MK as a character as much as the other guy.
I just don't think you have played a good enough mk. If you are at an equal skill level with your opponent you will lose every single time and not only that but you will often lose if you are of a greater skill level and I believe a tournament is supposed to be a way to test the skill of players not a way to test who can pick mk.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
why dont the top players in the state just come to some vote on it... i mean yall r power ranked for a reason, so im sure that u know what ur talking about, just the top pr's and shady make a vote, that way since it's eleven, one side will win.

p.s : i said shady, cause after omni's tourney im sure hes considered one of the best.

Smith

Smash Ace
It doesn't need to be just PR, I mean it can be the whole state.

we all see that Metaknights really gay, has no bad match-ups and no stage counters.

cept Keith and the others who use his power. :(

Jon?

Smash Champion
I just don't think you have played a good enough mk. If you are at an equal skill level with your opponent you will lose every single time and not only that but you will often lose if you are of a greater skill level and I believe a tournament is supposed to be a way to test the skill of players not a way to test who can pick mk.
Besiedes Flamingplankho, I don't know any other good Metaknights.

I'm still looking for MK vs Falco MMs btw! Any takers?

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
lol, that would allow more conclusive data because then people aren't winning simply because of their broken character.
Several of us have taken the time to learn to play that 'broken character' and banning him a week ahead of time and saying 'im better than you noob you can only play MK' after completely nullifying any time they spent practicing doesn't really prove anything, other than we practiced with MK and not really anyone else.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Ha ha, people waste their time learning how to play with metaknight? I thought all you need was neutral B. BBBBBBBBBBBBB.

I'm kidding. I understand that there's more to the character, but I still lol that you people are learning MK just to have that broken edge. I could understand that in Melee - I played as Marth as a main, and still do. But MK is more ridiculous than marth's melee range.

I have no solid argument for I have not studied the brawl. I don't intend to, either. I'm all for the Ban, though. Bill-Ban that mo-fo.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Several of us have taken the time to learn to play that 'broken character' and banning him a week ahead of time and saying 'im better than you noob you can only play MK' after completely nullifying any time they spent practicing doesn't really prove anything, other than we practiced with MK and not really anyone else.
i agree with this, though the learning curve for a decent meta knight is a day, it probably should be banned at the next billfest instead of this one that is so close.

P.S i'm over 100 post, woot!!!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Smith: If the whole state were to vote on this, then I would suggest both supporters and dissenters of the ban to state their reasons for choosing their sides in the ban MK discussion. This could also include a short period of debate, so that the whole state can see what the big arguments for both sides are and can change their minds(or be more steadfast in their stances) before voting.

That's if we wanted to do a whole state thing.

I think if we ban MK from at least one tournament we need to give much more notice next time so people can work on their other characters. I also believe that if we start banning MK from one tournament we should ban him from every other one because non-MK placings could be surprisingly different from MK unbanned placings.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I told everyone that I was planning to ban him a while ago. I'll consider your arguments but mk takes such a low amount of practice to beat even some of the best players that I believe he ruins the tournament scene.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If it turned out for me like it did for everyone else(which I think it did...) then no one noticed that you were completely solid in your ban-MK stance, at least for this tournament, until 1-2 days because someone finally read that bit you had about maybe banning him in the OP, so then we all had to ask. This gave those people even less time to practice other characters.

I'm not saying we didn't know it was coming, but I am saying there was not much effective communication on either side, so it may not be the best decision to ban MK for THIS tournament. You're the TO, so you're welcome to make whatever bans you want to, and when you want to I suppose, but I doubt it would be a good idea to do so this close to the tournament.

Of course, we'll all know your stance on this issue, and the probable ban of MK at future billfests, after this tournament, so one last MK-unbanned PR update could be completed.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
The only thing MK has ever done in NC is gay Bill really really hard. Nobody has ever won an NC tourney with MK. Bill is just mad because MK>Oli pretty badly.

I am Seth

Smash Lord
SP or Boone where all we smoke is christmas trees.
what a bunch of babies. wahh meta knight is broken wahhhh!! deal with that ****. we have so far. when's the last time a mk has won singles? I can't remember. if anything ban that fuc*ing gay character ddd. you think that takes skill? learn how to chain grab. you can play ddd. i don't care if he has bad matchups. if you get counterpicked your f'd in the a.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
what a bunch of babies. wahh meta knight is broken wahhhh!! deal with that ****. we have so far. when's the last time a mk has won singles? I can't remember. if anything ban that fuc*ing gay character ddd. you think that takes skill? learn how to chain grab. you can play ddd. i don't care if he has bad matchups. if you get counterpicked your f'd in the a.
Okay, you say that because Wario apparently goes even with MK and gets ***** by DDD.

Personally, I don't mind MK even though he ***** IC. I'd rather go against MK than snake.

Loto

Smash Ace
lol, in Florida we had him banned for a tournament and it didn't change the top at all. The smart players are still gonna place up top, its that simple.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
i agree with this aswell

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
lol, in Florida we had him banned for a tournament and it didn't change the top at all. The smart players are still gonna place up top, its that simple.
And thats the reason why I see nothing wrong with the ban.

plus... the whole wahh i can't beat mk thing is a little funny to me considering I see the reverse. I can't play an over-powered character with no disadvantages at this tournament, wahhhh... i guess i wont go.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
The thing wrong with the ban if you agree with Loto is that it's unnecessary.

and L2gettrolled

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
I'm in favor of the ban against MK in the future, but I agree that this is too sudden of a decision for the people who have been practicing MK.

I don't have personal problems with the MK match-up (just ask Omni), so MK being banned or not doesn't make much of a difference to me.

Looks like we're going double Snake, Keith.

edited

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
and L2gettrolled
Ok, if seth was being sarcastic it was nowhere near obvious since he does actually play mk. It's not that I have a problem with jokes or trolling, as it has come to be called, but half the time I assume you guys are actually attempting to contribute to the debate rather than just troll. Maybe I give people too much credit.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
I'm in favor of the ban against MK, but I don't feel strongly enough to argue about it.

I don't have personal problems with the MK match-up (just ask Omni), so MK being banned or not doesn't make much of a difference to me.

Looks like we're going double Snake, Keith.
What? ugghh. well if mk is gonna be banned can he least be in teams? or can he just be banned starting next tourney?

Top Bottom