• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Donkey Kong Country Returns!

kupo15

Smash Hero
Got this for Christmas. Have been excited to play for a while now, seeing as how fun it looks. Don't really care about how well it correlates to old games; it could be Whale Frog Nation Comes Back and I'd still like it for a game. Just because it's Donkey Kong doesn't mean it's gotta be the same as the other games. That's what the other games are for...to play them....you don't need a rehash.
I'm sorry but keeping the same mechanics while still keeping the tweaks (such as roll jump momentum) and keeping the new stuff (the grassy surfaces) wouldn't make it a rehash at all. It would flat out make it better. So your wrong.

M.K

Level 55

I'm sorry but keeping the same mechanics while still keeping the tweaks (such as roll jump momentum) and keeping the new stuff (the grassy surfaces) wouldn't make it a rehash at all. It would flat out make it better. So your wrong.
Of course I've heard the slight problems with the rolling mechanics, but I've never heard it as exasperated and overblown as you seem to be making it. General consensus says that the mechanics, while a bit hard to get use to at first, work perfectly fine when you get the timing down for them. If you're here simply to be "that one guy" who "has to go against the general opinion", which you seem to feel obligated to be, then I'm sorry, but nobody's really buying it. If you truly dislike the game, that's fine, not many games these days are perfect, and not many games in the old days were perfect either, but harping on the premise of "how dare you like this abomination" is rather annoying and pretentious.

kupo15

Smash Hero
You should read before you accuse. I claim DKCR to be the best Wii game out there so I'm not "that guy." The roll mechanic isn't the most bothersome part (it would be if I didn't use the Classic controller) but bouncing off of enemies is the worst change in the game.

If your going to make a DKC game keep the same mechanics at least, damnnit\\\I appreciate the false assumptions though. :/

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I honestly don't understand how people think this doesn't feel like a DKC game to them. I don't like the waggle to roll and I hate that it's mandatory, but aside from that I think it's a perfect sequel to the SNES games. Hell, it's way better than DKC3 was.

Though, my wiimote waggle is apparently broken. I can't use the wiimote by itself on this game. Everything works but the wiimote waggle. I haven't tried it with another game yet so I'm not sure if it's the remote or the game.

At first I thought you could only use the nunchuk to roll/pound, but I'm at a point where I cannot pound a switch fast enough with just the nunchuk waggle.

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Man, f**k this whining about generally insignificant details. Retro did a great job with this game, and if anyone really wanted to they could nitpick away the goodness of any game including the first 3 DKC's, 64, JB, etc. Everyone knows that the rolling takes time to get used to, but I'm not going to acknowledge the nitpicking posts anymore.

Anyway, I found out something about the masters: if you don't deal with the wooden devils that you just beat out of them, something will happen.

Aaannd, one of the masters (aka bosses) looks like Kazooie lol.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I honestly don't understand how people think this doesn't feel like a DKC game to them. I don't like the waggle to roll and I hate that it's mandatory, but aside from that I think it's a perfect sequel to the SNES games. Hell, it's way better than DKC3 was.

Though, my wiimote waggle is apparently broken. I can't use the wiimote by itself on this game. Everything works but the wiimote waggle. I haven't tried it with another game yet so I'm not sure if it's the remote or the game.

At first I thought you could only use the nunchuk to roll/pound, but I'm at a point where I cannot pound a switch fast enough with just the nunchuk waggle.
It is much better than DKC3 thats for sure. This is a pretty good DKC game. I just wish the controls/ mechanics were like they were in the retro games and that the bosses didn't suck.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Everything Kupo and Silent Wolf have been saying about this game is entirely true.

I rented this piece of **** game like a month ago, got to the last world and didn't even beat it. It was that bad.

It's boring, repetitive, terrible controls, bad music, and the worst thing they did was change the motion of jumping off of a enemies head.

ugh.. how can you honestly sit and play this piece of ****, waggling your little wiimote when you can simply just walk over to your super nintendo, stick in your Donkey Kong Country 2, get the easter egg that the designers put into the game on the first level (because back then they actually cared about us), and do a speed run while listening to the superb music by David Wise?

I was actually hyped for this game, but after the first level I knew it was going to be ****ing gay.

Sorta enjoyed the sunset level or whatever, where Donkey Kong is a silhouette.

HATED THE ANTI-CLIMATIC SAME **** I'VE DONE 8 TIMES IN A ROW BOSS BATTLES, ugh.. there are just so many things I despised about this game.

NO WATER LEVELS?!?!? Barrel levels were BORING as ****.

OMFG SUPER DK!??! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL For ***** *** little *****es that can't figure out the puzzle on their own? (not that anything in THIS game took remotely any thought at all) And a health bar? Haha... so bad.

DKC2 10/10

DKC 9.5/10

DKC3 6/10

Overall this piece of **** was a 5/10 for me. Worst in the Donkey Kong Series for sure.

I may be a bit bias because of the nostalgia factor I have from playing DKC2 endlessy as a little kid, but honestly play this game then go back to DKC2 or DKC. It's almost impossible not to see the difference. This game was made because we remembered the classic original games, changing it's core mechanics is like a spit in the face to anyone who was a true fan to the earlier releases. Game Reviewing sites giving this a 9/10 or higher really make me angry, it's a average game at best.

Mark my words; it will be forgotten within 2 years.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ ^^^ First and maybe last person to say this game is worst than DKC3. XD

☯ Also, personal ratings doesn't really count if a lot of people over all enjoy this game. Like me dislike every LoZ title except Twilight Princess. =P

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Best game I have played in a very long time. Everything about this game was just right. Little spots here and there where it seems the deaths are pretty cheap, but not overly impossible.

Music Madness made me love the game even more.

lol@ comments.

Sonic 4 = THE PHYSICS ARE ALL WRONG BJVBDJKBVVBKL

Metroid Other M = SAMUS IS A WEAKLING/NO FIRST PERSON

DKCR = THIS IS NOT A PIXEL-FOR-PIXEL COPY OF THE PREVIOUS DKCs!

Jesus Christ.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ahh its refreshing to see that I'm not alone in my close analysis of the game. Bringing up jumping off of enemies again, I realized its actually impossible to kill from below even during the flip animation. lame.

Your right. No barrel level will ever beat brumble blast

Also, I'm at world 7 and I have yet to encounter breakable barrels in the air. I guess thats another left out feature :(

Jesus Christ.
Im sorry but you underestimate or don't understand the importance of correct game mechanics...You and everyone else who blows it off

And seriously. These boss battles blow.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I got this game for Christmas. I'd never played a DKC game before, so I was excited. I'm at World 4 now, and man, this game is fun. It's also challenging, imo. I've gotten the KONG maybe once or twice (very close many other times, but minor mishaps always get me), and I don't think I've completed a puzzle yet. I agree that the waggle is annoying, especially when distinguishing between pound and roll, but it doesn't really hinder the game in any way.

kupo15

Smash Hero
If you say so. Even though I like the game Im not going to pretend the obvious flaws aren't there and say that the game is better off because of of them.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
This game has the most action-packed cart levels. I would go into detail, but spoiler-risks are too strong.

Did anyone hear this quote from Cranky? "See ya later, alligator! Hah, hah!"

I wonder what that was a reference to..,

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
oh yeah, cause the artstyle is what made DKC good in the first place.

**** this game.

M.K

Level 55
Wow, some of you guys are complete babies.
Quoted for truth. There's disliking a game, then being a **** for attention. Some of you are bordering on the latter.
Anyways, completed World 1. Surely died enough times on that first kart level trying to get the "N" that was below the track a little bit (required some crazy jump).
But it sure is fun. Way better than New Super Mario Bros. Wii in terms of "let's revive the sidescroller and breathe new life into it".

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
World 1 isn't so bad. Is the "N" you're referring to the one where you just wait an extra half-second before jumping?

All kart levels are rather tedious in trying to collect all the KONG letters and Puzzle Pieces to begin with, but World 1's kart level isn't that hard. :p

World 4 though. Oh my. I nearly lost half my lives going through there. I won't even try collecting everything until I clear the game the first time.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Best game I have played in a very long time. Everything about this game was just right. Little spots here and there where it seems the deaths are pretty cheap, but not overly impossible.

Music Madness made me love the game even more.

lol@ comments.

Sonic 4 = THE PHYSICS ARE ALL WRONG BJVBDJKBVVBKL

Metroid Other M = SAMUS IS A WEAKLING/NO FIRST PERSON

Jesus Christ.
While I do believe complaining about relatively insignificant details is unnecessary, I think the complaint about Samus being "soft" is completely warranted.

Here's a character who has fought giant space monsters and ran through pools of flooding acid-lava whatever chambers, and she has a mental breakdown over seeing her adversary for the millionth-something time? You'd think she'd be like "Man, not this **** again". Leave it to Team Ninja to demean women..

At least Sarah Connor had an excuse in Judgement Day. She wasn't a heavily-armed bounty hunter with oodles of weapons and an alien suit of armor.

tl;dr, i felt like ranting this cuz i saw judgement day a couple weeks ago and thought it was similar; don't take me seriously, and we shouldn't complain over minor crap

QQ sadfacewhatever

kupo15

Smash Hero
Mechanics changes are not minor details like many of you seem to think. Its like removing mario's powerups and saying its perfectly fine without that. How DK bounces off enemies is a big deal and is a defining mechanic that makes DK different from other platformers like mario. After beating the game it really makes a notable difference.

If your going to make a remake or sequel, one should expand and build upon the past instead of remove or replace things. We definitely have enough space for all the stuff in the retro games plus the neat additions in this game like the grassy cling.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Maybe, but honestly, who cares? This game is still really fun.

I was complaining a lot in the Sonic 4 game about how horrible a sequel that was, but it wasn't solely because they changed the physics from the original games. It's just an incredibly mediocre game.

This game might be vastly different from the other DKC games (I don't notice it even after so many people complaining about it) but it's still a very well-made, well-designed and fun to play game. That's all that should matter.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Except that they changed very minor things. "Oh no! The jump isn't exactly like it use to be!" or "Oh no! The roll isn't exactly like it use to be!" If those are the largest complaints, then I'd say things got better. The roll/grab button argument doesn't even matter (Really, it doesn't. Maybe they could have made it more "efficient" with one button, but why do that when you have extra buttons that you can use that are also more convenient?).

As for the jump timing thing, I would think that old-school gamers would enjoy something more challenging. Isn't the usual argument that games are getting easier?

Enjoy the game for what it is. If you don't think it fits DKC, then imagine it has a different name and different characters. If you have no imagination, maybe you should have been playing with Lego when you were a child instead of staring at a screen all day.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Maybe, but honestly, who cares? This game is still really fun.
And did I say I disagree? No.

This game might be vastly different from the other DKC games (I don't notice it even after so many people complaining about it) but it's still a very well-made, well-designed and fun to play game. That's all that should matter.
It is very well made. It is well designed. It is a fun game. But its controls are mediocre. Even if you have the worlds best game ever created ever and the controls are terrible, the game will be terrible despite it being the best designed game ever.
Except that they changed very minor things. "Oh no! The jump isn't exactly like it use to be!" or "Oh no! The roll isn't exactly like it use to be!" If those are the largest complaints, then I'd say things got better.
Things got better? If it aint broke, don't fix it. Its like if the Billiards rules said that you no longer could use chalk.
Maybe they could have made it more "efficient" with one button, but why do that when you have extra buttons that you can use that are also more convenient?).
And since when did more buttons = better? Never. Old school games only had 1 or 2 active buttons at a time performing a multitude of tasks. It is simple and it works better and more efficiently.

Now your endorsing breaking the fundamental rules of game design I see ;P

As for the jump timing thing, I would think that old-school gamers would enjoy something more challenging. Isn't the usual argument that games are getting easier?
Yea. Ok. How about you have to rotate the joystick + shake to do a roll. Double tap to do a full jump. Press all the buttons at the same time repeatedly to do the ground pound. Sounds like a good idea, right? Makes things harder, right?

Old school gamers enjoy challenges that makes sense. Challenges from the game. What made DKC1&2 challenging? Was it the controls? Hell no. It was the game. The game was still really challenging despite the controls being razor sharp. Not like in DKCR where (yes the levels were challenging but) the poor controls played a factor as well.

This is how all the good retro games are made. Whenever I play any of the classic games, I never ever think about the controls because its so fluid and natural whereas they are the first thing that sticks out and seems out of place in these new gen games that have precedent. If you can't see this light and day difference then you need to wake up or something.

God you people. I've already said the game was good but the controls and lack of DKC mechanics is holding it back from being an exceptional game since its the primary reason for BS deaths. The fact that I actually played through the whole game and cared enough for the secrets that I killed myself if I missed a letter or puzzle proves that. If this were a brand new game ever created, fine. Awesome. But DKC has precedent which is why these "insignificant" details are more significant.

So I've acknowledged your side yet you refuse to acknowledge mine. Idk what that makes you, wii fan boys?? Defending Nintendo's flaws???

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
My mistake Kupo. I was mistaking you for some of the other more ridiculous posters in here, particularly Illmatic.

One thing I can for sure get behind is mandatory waggle for probably the most used moves in the games is just lame.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
No, you're a baby because the best you can do to articulate your hate is

"ugh.. how can you honestly sit and play this piece of ****, waggling your little wiimote when you can simply just walk over to your super nintendo, stick in your Donkey Kong Country 2, get the easter egg that the designers put into the game on the first level (because back then they actually cared about us), and do a speed run while listening to the superb music by David Wise?

I was actually hyped for this game, but after the first level I knew it was going to be ****ing gay.

Sorta enjoyed the sunset level or whatever, where Donkey Kong is a silhouette.

HATED THE ANTI-CLIMATIC SAME **** I'VE DONE 8 TIMES IN A ROW BOSS BATTLES, ugh.. there are just so many things I despised about this game.

NO WATER LEVELS?!?!? Barrel levels were BORING as ****.

OMFG SUPER DK!??! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL For puzzy *** little *****es that can't figure out the puzzle on their own? (not that anything in THIS game took remotely any thought at all) And a health bar? Haha... so bad."

You just come off as so whiney and ridiculous. It's also completely un-critical. Whereas we have kupo15 who actually intelligently explains what he takes issue with and defends it pretty solidly.

Acryte

Smash Ace
more like this. Metroid Other M was just trash in a metroid CD case. It had samus, that is about all that made it metroid. They blew off prime series as if it never happened, there was no metroid fanfare music that is a STAPLE TO THE SERIES when grabbing items, YOU DONT SHOOT DOORS TO OPEN THEM, you're rooted in place while you are in 1st person when they could have easily had you move with the same ****in control pad that you used to move around with in 3rd person just rotated 90 degrees (makes no sense why they didnt do that), they should have used the trigger as a super easy button to TARGET LOCK so that you can CIRCLE STRAFE, there are ENEMY SPAWN POINTS oh god. OH AND THE HELL WITH PICKING UP ITEMS LIKE HP AND MISSILES OFF ENEMIES YOU KILL, WHY DO THAT? Oh and lets risk dying all the time because we want to make everyone happy and not use weapons till authorized... I'd rather just find them because that's suicidal and ********, if you're about to get ***** she should just be like **** this and then you can use all your stuff lol. I could get over the Keanu reeves "I'm detatched from everything I'm talking about" cuz it sounds like I'm reading a book that I'm uninterested in VS actually caring about anything. IF ANYTHING, if they wanted to be controvercial and put in voice acting from a crappy amateur IDK why they couldn't just leave fans the option of turning off the dub and turning on subtitles. I MEAN WHAT THE ****. Overall, there were major staples to metroid gameplay and metroid in general, they basically took out all of it and just used samus and the title name to sell a game that can barely even be called a metroid game. I mean honestly it would be like if they took barrel cannons, bananas, and jungle themed music out of DKC. That would be a closer comparison.

I loved DKCR a lot. It seemed like blowin on stuff was a bit extra of a mechanic but its alright. The boss battles in the 1st 3 games weren't leagues above DKCR I mean come on, lets throw barrels at stuff a couple times in a row and it varies its pattern at the 2nd stage of the fight, I mean I still loved boss battles in there but come on. Sure it wasnt kleevers kiln, oh well most of them were still enjoyable, and I found overall there was a decent level of difficullty to keep the game satisfying. It wasnt too easy or too hard and the levels were designed wonderfully for speedrunning, retro makes great games. They should have made other M too. It would have been done right. Only thing I was really missing.... yea water levels are legit, I WANT MY ENGUARDE heh, but really though I JUST WANT MY DK COINS DUDE :(
But all in all I loved it, retro did great things for the series.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
You know what would've been HILARIOUS? If Cranky was the Super Guide. Think about it: he's always saying how he could do much better, so having him go through the level would be priceless. He could finally have the chance to show us how its done.

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.
You know what would've been HILARIOUS? If Cranky was the Super Guide. Think about it: he's always saying how he could do much better, so having him go through the level would be priceless. He could finally have the chance to show us how its done.
Better idea, have Cranky allow us to buy his videos of him playing Donkey Kong Country Returns as he shows us "his skill." You know, finding hidden secrets, collecting hard to reach items, or just plain showing off.

"Bet you whippersnappers didn't know about this!"

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Just saying:

Sonic4: Good, but Colors>it :3

Other M: Good, it's just the Prime series makes it look worse than it is

DKCR: omg..Amazing! :D

But that's just me I suppose.

Edit: @ Mirror Mode, but completing Sonic Colors >.>. 3 S ranks to go...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Cleared the normal game without a single game over, no Super Kong, and I got all the puzzle pieces. However, I am disgusted with how difficult Mirror Mode is. Makes you think about the Kaizo Mario hacks at times.

Evil Iggy

Smash Cadet
As much as I love Donkey Kong games (minus DK64. Freaking banjo-kazooie ripoff...), I must say this one fell a little flat for me. The greatest part of a Donkey Kong game was running through levels as fast as you can, Cranky even issues you a challenge to beat DKC in under an hour. DKCR had too many levels where you had to wait for a while to move forward. You couldn't "speed-read" the levels like in DKC and DKC2. They also took out the speed boost you get from rolling... that caused me no end of grief when I kept trying to roll through a large line of enemies.

Still, I love that they are trying to return to DK's roots with the 2-D platformers. I'm just hoping that their next release captures the speed the first DKC's had. Maybe another Jungle Beat is on the way? O_o

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
THANK GOODNESS I'm not the only one who saw DK64 as a BK clone. Anyway, have you tried Time Attack yet? It kinda shows how quickly you can tear through a level. Just keep roll-then-jumping to move through a stage quickly until you have Diddy with you.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The only thing that I still like about the game was its music. More specifically Hideout Helm's and a few tracks that didn't get half-recycled into Banjo-Tooie.

Evil Iggy

Smash Cadet
DK64 is a terrible BJ ripoff. I hated the game.
Heh, BJ ripoff... that made my day...

My big problem with DK64 was that you were incessantly gathering those freaking colored bananas. I mean, with Banjo Kazooie there were only 100 notes per level. Not 500 bananas... disregarding that, though, the game STILL manages to bore the crap out of me. None of the upgrades are really all that helpful, and the boss battles are pretty boring, too (like the cardboard cutout of King K. Rool. Really, RARE? Really?)

kupo15

Smash Hero
It is basically a BJ ripoff that is much less polished. It has very similar music and objects and stuff. One of the worst things was opening this pyramid up with your long ranged weapon. Except you had to trek back to the switching station 4 times to shoot the correct switches. There is too much backtracking to accomplish things whereas banjo there was little to none of it. I don't really consider the shock pad or the flying pad backtracking though.

Top Bottom