• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Donkey Kong Country Returns!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You mean you got Gold Time Attack after 10 tries or just any medal?
☯ Getting a gold medal. I might not complete this game very soon, but I will try to get every gold medal before the end of this month. Or just try to get one gold medal a day, lol.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Oh hey World 7, you have not one, but two rocket barrel stages?

Okay, cool. I'm totally fine with that.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I'm only at World 4 but I have collected all possible Kong Letters and puzzle pieces. I'm going back to the first three worlds to try the Time Attacks though.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Well, at least Time Attack in World 4 is simpler. ^_^;

Time Attack is taking a lot of time away from me playing Golden Sun. XD

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Epically hard, if you go for 200%.

Time Trials are ungodly, but I'm just getting few gold/mostly silver/some bronze, as they add nothing to completion. (I think they were added for like...friends to compete with, idk honestly? Maybe just fun xD)

Um, so X-B = boss, X-K = Kong level.

World 7... the R level...Rocket? so random, lol

World 7 was quite easy compared to 6 and 4. >_>

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
^ You mentioned competition among friends. Does this game have the two player competition mode that the other Donkey Kong Countries on the SNES had? I really hope so.

kupo15

Smash Hero
To be more clear...is the game hard in a non lazy program sort of way? Things like "redo it except under a time constraint" or "beat all the bosses all over again back to back" are considered lazy programming. From what I've been reading, the worthy completionist aspects of the game are:

Beating it
Getting all the kong letters
All secrets like in snes (?)
Time trials

Did I miss any? What are these medals for?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ You mentioned competition among friends. Does this game have the two player competition mode that the other Donkey Kong Countries on the SNES had? I really hope so.
Na. I meant like...in a forum "Donkey Kong Time Trial Scores" type competition. I think that's what they did Time Attack for. Like "Yeah dude I can beat the level in XX.X". I'm getting them done, but solely so the bubble is filled in. Most of them will be silver, lol.

To be more clear...is the game hard in a non lazy program sort of way? Things like "redo it except under a time constraint" or "beat all the bosses all over again back to back" are considered lazy programming. From what I've been reading, the worthy completionist aspects of the game are:

Beating it
Getting all the kong letters
All secrets like in snes (?)
Time trials

Did I miss any? What are these medals for?

- Getting KONG pieces requires advanced platforming skills.
- Getting Puzzle Pieces requires really advanced exploring/platforming skills.
- Secrets galore
- Time Trails...never been a fan of those, but they are very, very hard.

Also, there is a big spoiler i can't tell you, but it's after you beat the game. You have to re-do the game pretty much, under much harsher circumstances. So it's not really lazy, it's just hard imo. I guess beating the game again under harsher circumstances could be lazy programming, but...not really if you knew what they did.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
What's the max number of hits you can get on those Tiki creatures after you beat a boss? I've only been able to get 22 no matter what I do.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Mirror mode is lazy programming. :D
Maybe. It's doing the levels backwards with one heart. That's not really lazy, they revamped the whole stages and made them backwards. Eh, I'd call lazy IF it was just one heart only challenges.

What's the max number of hits you can get on those Tiki creatures after you beat a boss? I've only been able to get 22 no matter what I do.

22 is max for me, but there is no reward for it so I stopped caring.

Me too. :c World 4 is horrible, though. Minecart and rocket levels are the worst.

World4 is </3

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
I finished world 4 in 2-player. I'm fairly convinced that 2-player is even harder than single player because you don't always have the Diddy Rocket, as well as your lives being drained sooo much faster >_<.

So I expierenced some problems when trying to 2-player. It would boot the 2nd wii-controller every time I tried to start up. To play 2-player you have to click 2 player and THEN add the controller, no earlier.
Man, I wish I knew that earlier.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Mirror mode is lazy programming. :D
Nah, I can't really say that it is. It's basically the result of the developers listening to Cranky's complaining, in some aspects.

Did anyone get to see some of the concept art for World S? The artwork featured some amazing ideas, and if their's ever a sequel I hope that levels like those concepts are in. It could be like DKC 1 and 2: you beat the first game on a pirate ship and start the second on the same ship.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Its funny that I never took Diddy with me to that level. I think he'd be very disappointed to know what he missed out on. XD
Yeah, he might make it easier, but idk...

The Cherry platforms throw me off so bad...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Some people can't handle extreme platforming. I'll admit this game has made me rage a lot.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
On the final boss fight, I got so mad at....something about it, I told my girlfriend, "Go in the family room and let me finish up before I explode on you"

Not just does that sound...really wrong, but I was maddddd D:

<.<;

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
On the final boss fight, I got so mad at....something about it, I told my girlfriend, "Go in the family room and let me finish up before I explode on you"

Not just does that sound...really wrong, but I was maddddd D:

<.<;
I don't even know what the final boss looks like, because my son beat the game while I was at work!

I have no clue how he did it, but my wife let him play yesterday, and I just turned on the game to see that the giant Tiki head has been destroyed, there's a DK flag flying over world 8 and I can now go to the Golden Temple.

I really don't know how this is even possible, unless he accidentally activated the Super Guide, but he's never done that before. Actually, that must be what happened, because the star for the stage icon is still red instead of blue.

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
It has made me rage quite a lot too. However that doesn't mean you should hate the game. :p
This game made me range in really good ways. It's especially fun when you're with 2 players and have been stuck on the same level for 2 hours. Single-player is so much easier than multiplayer lmao, having Diddy is such a help. Especially when your friend never knows when to jump on your back >_<!

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
So I was thinking maybe sometime in the future I'll get this game, seeing that there's so far been pretty good reviews. But I was wondering.

Is any of the original DKC music brought back here, or is there a new, equally epic soundtrack?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
this game sucks ***.

nintendo ruins yet another series.
☯ I guess this game can't please everybody, lol.

So I was thinking maybe sometime in the future I'll get this game, seeing that there's so far been pretty good reviews. But I was wondering.

Is any of the original DKC music brought back here, or is there a new, equally epic soundtrack?
☯ There's a good amount of soundtracks that return from the first DKC, and some new ones. Just about all the return soundtracks in my opinion is remixed better.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
This game is quite epic, but let haters hate. Playing SonicColors (to take a break from extreme difficulty), but I have <Mirror Mode> and <Time Attack> left. (I may not do TA)

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
This game was amazingly great

DKC2>DKCR>DKC>DKC3 IMO

But yea what is possibly wrong with this game compared to the other three?
I agree with your ranking of the DKC games.

The only major problem with this game was the music. It was good, but nowhere as good as the music of DKC1 and 2 (although it did have a half-hearted remix of the water music from DKC 1)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I actually like this DKC the best, with 2, the first, and 3 behind it. I played DKC 2 a week ago, but I couldn't get into it anymore.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
DKCR(meh, I really like this game. Like really) > 2>3>1

Honestly I liked the N64 one over them all, though.

kupo15

Smash Hero
no way. DKC=DKC2 (ropes were a bit glitchy though)>DKCR>DKC3 (but the controls were better)

So I just got this game. The controls are terrible even with the classic controller hack

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ How? You platform, jump on things...I don't see how it's terrible. Go play Sonic Colors lol, it's a good game, but it's controls are sooooo much worse.

Top Bottom