• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Donkey Kong Country Returns!

kupo15

Smash Hero
I've been playing single, and this game rules. It's so hard to get all the items, at world 1 I was having to actually try. >.< It makes SMG2 feel like a joke.

Also, the time runs seem impossible. I can't seem to get gold on the first level.
lol now you see what I've been talking about :)
Glad to hear that This game is actually challenging. :)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Gl. The game is amazing, but the time trials are WAY to hard. If getting gold is a must for 100%, I am screwed. I'm hoping you can get 100% with any medal on Time Attack, and the golds on every level is a uber-mad-skills guy thing. (like platnium rank on crash bandicoot warped)

Edit:

It's so challenging, 100% might be impossible.

And no, it's not creepy :p (Haven't had GO yet) XD

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ I'm currently in the Forest area in the game. This game is indeed challenging to get everything in a level. @_@

☯ Haven't played any levels that annoyed me though. I guess I'll see soon.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Done with first world, and have decided to do time trials after beating the game. world 2 looks amazing, but work has me busy.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm halfway done with world 2 now, I'm loving the recurring themes of DKC. Hope they make a 2 and 3

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I am so eager to buy this game, december 3rd in Europe! Expectations aren't that high, haven't seen many gameplay videos so I'll be really surprised by the game =d!

UberMario

Smash Master
I'm getting mine on monday, I've heard it's a great game geared to better players, so I think I'll be enjoying this.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
This game did not disappoint, I love it so far!

Only complaint was 1-5's flying barrel section with the falling pillars, I died a good 7 times because of the pillars but it ended up being useful because you get some banana coins and 1up balloons before you reach them. I ended up leaving the level with more lives than I lost, haha.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
They are. I'm only on world 2 and it's not really easy at all to get the KONG or puzzles :/

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
They are. I'm only on world 2 and it's not really easy at all to get the KONG or puzzles :/
Haha, it's really not. I'm halfway through world 2 and I haven't got all the puzzle pieces on a single stage yet.

I love the kart stages though, they were my favorite in the original DKC trilogy as well. And man, I really hope there are bramble stages at some point.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I actually wasted a good 15 lives in World 2 on the Octopus level, it's somewhat difficult since I'm greedy and go for coins a lot.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I just got the game, and I swept through World 1. I'm not moving on until I find all the puzzle pieces though.

Edit - You know how each world / area has three small circles underneath the name? I know the first is representative of the KONG letters, the second is representative of the puzzle pieces. Does anyone know what the third circle represents? I first thought they represented maybe bananas / banana coins but then I noticed only the third circle is there under boss levels.

UberMario

Smash Master
I played the game for a few hours today, and I think I might be enjoying this even more than the original!

@Tery: The third circle during the boss levels is for the Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat-style combos, where you beat the **** out of the Tikis when it indicates for you to do so. If you do it too early or too late, it only results in one hit.( I don't remember what you get for combo'ing them though.)

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I played the game for a few hours today, and I think I might be enjoying this even more than the original!

@Tery: The third circle during the boss levels is for the Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat-style combos, where you beat the **** out of the Tikis when it indicates for you to do so. If you do it too early or too late, it only results in one hit.( I don't remember what you get for combo'ing them though.)
How many combos do you need for the Jungle Beat (I hit the boss like 20 times)? Also, what about the third circle for the regular stages, then?

UberMario

Smash Master
How many combos do you need for the Jungle Beat (I hit the boss like 20 times)? Also, what about the third circle for the regular stages, then?
I'm not sure, I've only played it for two hours total so far. lol (one of those two was on the 1st castle level alone, I kept dying, but because of all the 1-up opportunities, I went from 9 lives to 41 on that level alone. XD That's the only level so far I've had trouble with.)

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
1st castle level? Which world is that?

I think getting lives (not buying lives) is slightly easier in this game. Upon completing World 1, I have like 30 lives.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Guys, the third circle is for Time Trials. Beat a level, and then come back to it.

Great game btw. I'm good at platformers but this game is tough and intense.

EDIT: Anybody remember some Cranky quotes?

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I don't have it yet but...
I thought it was a level to level game... Map game the old ones

Didn't realize it be platformer like galaxy
nice!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, thank god the Time Trials don't count as 100% because they are HARD.

Going to need to beat the game 100% then just come back and settle for gold/silver and a few bronze. Getting shiny gold is even more ridiculous.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
"And you thought two hearts was too easy! And now you want third."

My favorite quote in the game so far. XD

Yeah, thank god the Time Trials don't count as 100% because they are HARD.
Really? I guess that's ok, I personally hate having to do time trails on any game... or too many mini games, *looks at Bowser's Inside Story*.

I wonder how hard the Golden Temple is
? =P

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Guys, the third circle is for Time Trials. Beat a level, and then come back to it.

Great game btw. I'm good at platformers but this game is tough and intense.

Oh. I'm going to guess that you need to collect all the Kong letters and puzzle pieces of the level first before time trials or whatever?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Nah just beat the level. When you go back to it the time attack option will be there. You can go for the puzzle pieces, Kong letters, or time trials in any order that you want.

EDIT: Almost forgot:

"So, who hasn't stolen your bananas at this point?" XD

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Nah just beat the level. When you go back to it the time attack option will be there. You can go for the puzzle pieces, Kong letters, or time trials in any order that you want.
Ahh. Alright. I'll go try - and subsequently fail - one of those sometime in the future when I get the chance.

BirthNote said:
EDIT: Almost forgot:

"So, who hasn't stolen your bananas at this point?" XD
On that note, why is Donkey Kong actually caring that people are stealing his bananas? I mean, just look at all the new bananas he has been collecting the entire time.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
By the time you get to the hoard, the bananas will not be good anymore \/

§leepy God

Smash Master
Damn this game is awesome, I don't even care that I die over 5 times in every level after The Jungle. I'm in The Cave level, played three stages in the area and lost count of how many times I died. xD

Was the image GreenKirby posted in the theaters?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
So we could share Time Attack records if anyone out there is pro or something, not that I am, haha. I tried Jungle Hijinx on Time Attack and was literally 0.2 seconds from not making silver, haha. It's ridiculous.

kupo15

Smash Hero
so this game is confirmed hard as balls I see? Sucks that I'll have to wait until after xmas just in case anyone planned on buying it for me.

Jw, exactly how much motion is required and can you turn it off?

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Just got 101%.
Wooo.
Extremely fun now I have to get the rest of the puzzle pieces and do more time trials.

Spoiler I guess

and finish mirror mode. Haha that is so impossible!

/spoiler

If anyone needs help or anything I can give tips.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
how long did it take you to beat it 100% and was it difficult?
Extremely difficult. IDK how long it took. 20+hours I think. I wasn't trying to blow through it so it can be done a lot faster

It was really fun

And the motion control isn't that bad. It led to a few untimely deaths but you get used to it.

Top Bottom