• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Donkey Kong Country Returns!

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Here's the video for those who don't know :)

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y83z8e2isrI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y83z8e2isrI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Rambi the Rhinoceros returns. <3 ♥

♣ I wonder what new or return Animal Buddy will be next? ♥

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I sure hope they bring back Winky the frog. That animal buddy was a beast! It's sad Winky only got one game. They've got to keep Enguarde in to make it a 4-peat.

I'm looking forward to this game. I just hope it will challenging and not beatable in three days. I'm hoping it's similar to DK2 in the aspect of toughness.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice

Now I really REALLY want this game. K. Rool or not. :D /awesome boxart is awesome

No other animal buddies on the box, though, but we'll just have to see.

Also, the storyline shouldn't be a surprise to you. (spoilers in case you people are really against the game being spoiled, but.... nah, we don't need spoiler tags.) Forget it, if it's on MarioWiki it really doesn't matter who sees this.

During the story, animals living along Donkey Kong Island, controlled by an evil group of Tikis, raid Donkey Kong's Banana Hoard, taking his stash of bananas. As a reaction upon this incident, Donkey Kong sets out with Diddy Kong to retrieve them.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Donkey Kong looks so cute. <3 ♥

♣ Retro Studios really did a great job on his art. ♥

UberMario

Smash Master
I lol'd at Rambi's mugshot . . . . . . or maybe it should be called his smugshot:

It's definitely different from the "puppy-like" look he usually has.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
IS NO ONE EXCITED!?!

Only a few weeks? I just pre-ordered it today D:

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
IS NO ONE EXCITED!?!

Only a few weeks? I just pre-ordered it today D:
☯ Though I'm mostly excited for Golden Sun Dark Dawn, I'm excited for this game to. Nintendo has five games that come's out this month I'm excited for, Goldeneye, Sonic Colors, DKC Returns, Golden Sun DD, and Epic Mickey. I'm going to be broke. x_x

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
☯ Though I'm mostly excited for Golden Sun Dark Dawn, I'm excited for this game to. Nintendo has five games that come's out this month I'm excited for, Goldeneye, Sonic Colors, DKC Returns, Golden Sun DD, and Epic Mickey. I'm going to be broke. x_x
For me, it was/is:

Metroid (Could have been better, but good), DKCR, Zelda, Pokemon, and 3DS.

That said, I'll probably pick up Golden Sun (I've never played any) and Kirby eventually.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
=( Still, the reviews, the anticipation, even on Crapspot's and Game***'s boards no one cares =[

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wn9RHa0d84

That volcano level looks really intense. and the visual effect where DK is completely black except for his tie is a really neat touch.

0:07: Oh hi there, Mr. Game And Watch. Nice to see you're still alive and kicking.

EDIT: dnvbewvbedb hell, look at the background at 0:03. GW is all well and good, but 25M made an appearance!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
The more I watch the more I wannn play.

Edit: GI gave a 9.5 :]

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ I remember playing that game, but didn't remember that level. XD

☯ ****, this game looks great, and the graphics are great to for a Wii game.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Wouldn't really call it a rip, but a reference. I'm so hyped for this, it looks sooo much fun :3.

I really wanted Funky Kong though.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I think it will. IGN said they were very impressed with the demo, and GI gave it a 9.5, which is very impressive (GI normally doesn't give very high scores). And in my own opinion, the game looks fantastic based on the gameplay videos. I don't think think you'll be dissappointed. :)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I think it will. IGN said they were very impressed with the demo, and GI gave it a 9.5, which is very impressive (GI normally doesn't give very high scores). And in my own opinion, the game looks fantastic based on the gameplay videos. I don't think think you'll be dissappointed. :)
Maybe I'm confused with another magazine, but GI is the one that has extreme bias towards Nintendo, no? As in they always rate their games meh.

IGN isn't a lot better, they said Ninty had the weakest E3. Honestly, I think this will be up there with SMG2. :D So excited, only a few more days!

kupo15

Smash Hero
No diddy switching and 4 hits until death are the two worst things I can tell so far from the game. What a huge let down :(

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ At first I felt the same, but then again, some of this game looks rougher than the older ones. Then again, I'm extremely talented at Snes games ;)

As for the Diddy thing, I was always too lazy to swap, plus I'm playing with a friend irl and I'ma be Diddy :3.

Also, going to try to be Diddy in Brawl, but that's off topic.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Seeing how you can't be diddy, if his jetpack doesn't play a major factor in progressing then I'll never pick him up to try and mimic the difficulty of the snes games. Some things do look pretty tough which I was happy about but its about time we have an extremely difficult game for the wii. Talk about a throwback to retro style game difficulty lol :)

kupo15

Smash Hero
Very few stars in SMG2 were challenging, like 3?, which hardly gives SMG2 as a whole the "challenging" label for me

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Seeing how you can't be diddy, if his jetpack doesn't play a major factor in progressing then I'll never pick him up to try and mimic the difficulty of the snes games. Some things do look pretty tough which I was happy about but its about time we have an extremely difficult game for the wii. Talk about a throwback to retro style game difficulty lol :)

Nintendo games are pretty hard, though Kirby is easy.

I love how Nintendo games have become increasingly challenging now. Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M were hard as crap, and I really hope that keeps up.

Other M was easy, go play Primes on Hypermode.

Very few stars in SMG2 were challenging, like 3?, which hardly gives SMG2 as a whole the "challenging" label for me
SMG2 was hard, especially the final star. I found it to be the hardest in the series.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ The hardest part on SMG2 is the comet challenges, I don't feel like listing the levels now, but there were more than 3 missions that gave me a hard time, mostly the green stars. ); ♥

kupo15

Smash Hero
Depends on what you think of as hard. And yes SMG2 was harder than SMG but still being rather casual friendly and they are the only two games in the series. The ones that got me were the green star in the special stage rolling ball thingy where you have one chance to get it. Another is the super fast tumble blocks green star where you had to triple jump with luigi and another one was a green star in yoshi's level towards the end cause I didn't know where to find it. I'm trying to think of anymore but everything mostly felt straight forward and easy. Idk there prob is a few more though..

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Ok maybe this game might actually be challenging.

Also, does anyone know what game this level ripped off of?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wn9RHa0d84#t=1m27s
The level was ripped off of Aladdin from SNES. They totally ripped off the cave stage where your Aladdin on the carpet trying to fly away from the lava and falling rocks.

That level was a pain for me as a child. One of the first games I ever played if not the first.

Whoops! I didn't click the second link. You already knew the answer. The funny thing was I thought the exact same thing you did when I watched the trailer lol. This new Donkey Kong game is looking more fun. I just have one question. Where are the enemies?

kupo15

Smash Hero
lol and the spoiler tags didn't even work properly. :p

This new DK is looking pretty fun and challenging. We shall see how it compares to the snes version though. And your right, I don't see that many enemies which kinda ruins the experience. Half the fun of DKC was having a ton of unique enemies that do predictable patterns and attacks and the number of them and placement made it difficult to get through the level in addition to the difficult platforming elements. Idk how these new Tikki guys act at all. It will be disappointing if they don't fit the same role as the old enemies.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ IGN gave DKCR a 9.0, and GamesRadar gave it an 8.0. This looks like a good year for Nintendo's first party games huh? :D ♥

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
To anyone that has bought and played this game already...Does the new game have a Two player competition mode? My friend and I always have a competition to see who can beat the DKC games for the SNES first in competition mode. I hope the new game has it to because it would be awsome to have a competition in a game where none of us know any of the levels.

All I know is that Donkey Kong returns has a 1 player and 2 player co-op mode.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I've been playing single, and this game rules. It's so hard to get all the items, at world 1 I was having to actually try. >.< It makes SMG2 feel like a joke.

Also, the time runs seem impossible. I can't seem to get gold on the first level.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I have yet to get this game, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to actually get it - unfortunately. I've been enjoying SSoHPKC's Let's Play / walkthrough of the game on Youtube though. It's more encouragement for me to make a Let's Play of the original Donkey Kong Country. Needless to say, I really want this game. I'm tempted to go all-out and try to complete it 100%.

Top Bottom