• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does The Costume Matter To You?

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
As the title implies do you feel more comfortable being a certain color with your favorite Main/secondaries/Third banana..what!? i like diddy so sue me..I really can't stand not being able to play as my purple diddy, my original lucario and my dark samus these are just my seconds except for lucario.Sometimes it even screws up my fighting style i just grow too attached to my costume that i pick everytime, That if im not using it i lose some confidence im probably not making any sense on this but few will understand where im coming from.

Love your colors! And brawl proudly wearing them.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
I like having my costume on too but if they're wearing the same thing then count on your tag to be above your head to say whose who don't just pay attention to yourself Sephiroth's Masamune.

Roie

Smash Cadet
Costumes are used for psychological mind games. Some people might unconsciously think that red is for aggression, and they might act a certain suboptimal way in a situation because of that.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I like having my costume on too but if they're wearing the same thing then count on your tag to be above your head to say whose who don't just pay attention to yourself Sephiroth's Masamune.
I'm talking about friendlies, the only time I put my tag on is at tourneys because I like to have my name stats clean.

Meccs

@Meccs_
The only costume I can't stand for Ness is the Saturn one. I still will always prefer to play as red, but sometimes I'll switch it up and go blue or green. So it doesn't matter to me that much with Ness. With Falco, though, I need to use tan-jacket. I don't know why but I like that costume so much more. Pika I 99% go original and 1% green Pika. And for Lucas I go Claus more than often (~75%?) and then normal Lucas (~25%?)

cheeseball540

Smash Cadet
yeah i think the costume are mad cool like the gangsta pikacu you could make the color your signature even though theres probably thousands of the same color but yeah costumes are awesome

D

Deleted member

I always use Gangstachu and restart a match to change my costume if iAm using the wrong one, but i can use Gogglechu if i have to. If i canOt use either i get really pissed, lol. I usually go boring normal pika if i canOt use Gangsta or Goggle chu. I only go green pika if thereIs a texture hack over it, i have a Hellchu texture hack over my green pika. I NEVER go green in doubles, ever.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I always use Gangstachu and restart a match to change my costume if iAm using the wrong one, but i can use Gogglechu if i have to. If i canOt use either i get really pissed, lol. I usually go boring normal pika if i canOt use Gangsta or Goggle chu. I only go green pika if thereIs a texture hack over it, i have a Hellchu texture hack over my green pika. I NEVER go green in doubles, ever.
When I used to main Pikachu in Melee, I always rotated the costumes. Never had a precise preference.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
Nothing wrong with Pit.

I used to be like that with Peach. I get ticked of when the other guy chooses the Peach in the red dress. Since I have textures for her noe, I choose all of the dresses....Though I'm sorta attached to her white dress xD

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
If I don't have the Yellow Link costume I lose...

Nah, costume doesn't matter. But it does feel good to be the color you like the most; especially if it's your favorite.

If someone else chose a color a normally choose with a character I might lose track in a match. In that sort of situation I just go with a color entirely opposite such as light vs. dark or color rivalries like red vs. blue.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
Toon link: Always blue or i quit.

Diddy: 75% Purple 25% Blue

Ike:Always Blue

Without these costumes i insta-fail

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can't stand playing as characters with horrible costumes. Like, Green MetaKnight, Blue regular Wario, 'Wario' Mario, Red / Green Lucario or Red DK. Most characters look best in their regular costume anyway I think.

But there are some bad *** costumes like White MetaKnight, Light Blue Ike, Silver Lucario, Purple Diddy (like regular better), Yellow Diddy, White DK, Black DK or Samus.

Though I admit, I sometimes like playing as Gay C.Falcon. :p Not so much in Smash 64 or Melee, but in Brawl it's awesome.

BurnBurn

Smash Apprentice
I don't care whether I don't have my costume or not. I just choose ones that i use mostly since I can recognize my character more.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't matter to me either unless I'm on Wi-Fi. Saturn Ness and Red Marth or else...

DVDV28

Smash Apprentice
Meh, I removed all the textures I can't stand so I don't care anymore

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Someone get the legend of Red Marf in here.

edit: Got it

The saga of Red Marth is far more epic than the little teaser of an explanation Gum gave. That **** was unreal. I won't say names either, but I shall shed some light on this legend.

This was at a large tournament in North Carolina last summer. 70-80 attendants including a ton of out-of-state kids, Gum and myself included. It was a multi-day event. The first night was friendlies, which means everyone stayed up the whole time. The next day was the tournament [teams/singles] and after singles was over, everyone continued playing.

Around 3 or 4 AM Sunday morning, people were still playing and then the focus switched to teams friendlies. Two of the top placers were on the TV for a while since no one was beating them. They didn't need to try very hard as most of the teams they played against were far inferior to their pro-level skills. There was a small group of people still awake just watching this happen...at some point, it was just one team trying to face these nonchalant monsters. Try as they might, nothing worked. No matches were close, but they weren't outright slaughters either, so hope still remained for these struggling players...

It should be noted that 3 out of the 4 people in these team matches enjoy talking ****............a lot. But it's the competitive kind. The kind that adds some heat to the battles. The 3 people included the two dominating forces and one from the weaker pair. The two veterans thought that they could at least find a worthy adversary in the art of talking **** and starting giving twice as good as they were getting.

The verbal massacre that commenced match after match inspired from the loser the wittiest of retorts including, but not limited to, "how many d.cks does your mom have?"

but that's okay. **** talking is part of competition, like I said. but it never gets personal. This genius decides to go against that and makes a direct shot at a physical attribute of one of his opponents....and his partner, a fantastic Yoshi player, just shook his head in silent embarrassment. By now it's 6 AM and the other players realized "oh!...so that's how it's going to be" and decided to up the ante: they actually started TRYING.

after half a dozen team-7stocks and 8stocks happened [against all of the offender's various characters], he decides to choose Marth [and they were on the red team]. The guy he insulted declares, mid match, "dude, this Yoshi is ****ing sweet!...but Red Marth? yeah, Red Marth is ****ing garbage. **** Red Marth." After this moment, he was never referred to as anything other than Red Marth. No matter what character he chose [the first match after Red Marth was born is what Gum was referring to...with taking forever to choose his next character....mostly because they kept egging him on and repeatedly told Red Marth to choose his character. They even went so far as to loudly pick apart his character-specific strategies every time he chose someone............eventually he settled on Red Marth again]

The **** and the **** talking gets out of hand, as does the abuse of this player's unauthorized new Smash name...

And that's when he mumbled something that sent a chill down the spines of anyone within earshot. That is...if he said what we thought he said.

"If you don't shut the **** up I'm going to jump over my teammate and choke you with my *inaudible* cord" [though it was probably "controller cord" it sounded like he said "choke cord"].....the match continued in awkward silence. This was specifically directed at the partner of the person Red Marth insulted. You can tell he's aching to respond....and finally decides to let out some famous last words...

"What the ****'s a choke cord?"

IMMEDIATELY Red Marth rips out his controller cord, doubles it over, leaps over his teammate and proceeds to strangle the guy for a brief moment. A firm hand on his chest from the victim snaps him out of his blinding white rage and he releases the pressure of the cord. Meanwhile everyone who just witnessed this is frozen in silence and mental fighter stance. So many thoughts are filling the silence and I'm pretty sure most of us were thinking some of the same things:
"is this **** really happening??"
"is something about to go down?!........and if it does.....who the **** is going to have Red Marth's back???"

Realizing he just violently assaulted someone over, ultimately, a video game, Red Marth stands up...........................plugs his controller in, while looking directly in the eyes of the other team, sits back down...and continues to play the match out.

Needless to say, everyone stopped playing after that.

After some time and much discussion/shared shock with the victim and his teammate...hideously brilliant plans for revenge were hatched but eventually only took two forms:

1) I got the tourney hosts to change the guy's name in the results post to Red Marth

2) the victim, a pro among pros, pulled some strings [or at least someone did on his behalf] and Red Marth's SWF name actually got CHANGED to RED MARF.

And that is the epic tale of Red Marth.
And that is why costumes are important.

iProdigy101

Smash Apprentice
Well, just certain characters like Snake in Red, (should be his official costume in MGS series!) and Marth in black, because he's cool like that. Still, for the most part, costumes don't matter to me, no matter who I'm using, though I tend to pick Blue, my favorite color, for my main characters, Link and Fox.

Derressh

Smash Cadet
Picking a color for my character has always been the second most important thing to picking the character itself. Right now I main a Blue Falco, can't play at my optimal performance unless I do.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
I ALWAYS use white (metal blue with tex hax) MK, light blue Marth, blue Snake, blue Pit, goggles Pikachu, blue Ganondorf......

What can I say, I like blue.

SmurdeR

Smash Cadet
yeah i feel the same way

when i use colors other than fire mario and pink DDD i feel vulnerable

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I usually stick to original colors. When I use Kirby I stay pink, cause it's the original Kirb! I do like his Yellow, Red and Blue, though. When I play Falcon, it's either his default or Pink. Yo... I gotta say, the man sports it well!

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Captain Fabulous DOES sport his pink and white attire well. Gotta hand it to him.

I need my third slot gold Link or first slot green Link or I'm off my game.

smashfan666

Smash Cadet
NNID
NobelSmashington
3DS FC
2981-8328-3883
personally, i prefer the dark costumes! (i.e. dark meta knight, dark wolf, shadow link, black jacket warioware wario, dark falco, mr. saturn shirt ness, etc.) though i occasionally use red falco or red meta knight. and sometimes overalls wario...

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
You better believe it matters to me. Here are the colors I use for my four favorite characters.

1) White Mario ( As a symbol of my purity of heart)
2) Purple Luigi ( looks like Waluigi)
3) White Donkey Kong ( looks like the Yeti)
4) Falco (This is about the only character I use the standard color with)

Top Bottom