• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does music affect your playstyle?

El Gordo

Smash Cadet
So,we all know,that music can really affect a lot of actions,movements,thoughts and other things in our life! :)

My question to you is:
Does any kind of Music affect your playing in Melee? AND
Do you have any good music for playing Melee?
Is there some kind of music-style that supports Melee best or does every character have an individual music for his playing-style?

If this thread is supported and if he is not already somewhere here I´d ike to make a compilation of support music for Melee. just switching of Melee´s music and fighting while another music you like is playing.

P.S. I was searching with the seek&find-engine but found nothing in this area. So I want to start right here.If you got an intersting video to contribute or want to say your personal opinion,you´re welcome :) Would also be nice if you´d rate teh songs I listed below and state,to which character they fit best.

Music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zlUoTWvwqs Just try this song out! Recommended for Fox,Falco or fast characters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRRu9RTAncg Nice one. (Begins slow,afterwards techno)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXlQE4rdC6I A bit rocky,but sure good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVr_gNaqEZ0 Fighting music!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OUkexdBXP8 As the name says,a remix of metal of Mute City^^

Geist

Smash Master
P.S. I was searching with the seek&find-engine but found nothing in this area. So I want to start right here.
Ah, well, that may be be because all of the other ones were closed.
There's a general concensus that music only distracts you while you play. Myself, I prefer the music in melee itself turned off.
But if you like listening to music while playing, the more power to you.
If I were to listen to music, hypothetically, it would probably be techno or something.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
its a proven fact that techno makes fox faster.
It is also a proven fact that techno raises your actions per minute in Starcraft :D

I mean, it depends on your style and character. For fast characters like Fox/Falco/Falcon, techno or similar music with a fast beat helps you play faster and more aggressive. But if you don't want to play aggressive, this could hurt you. So maybe mellow music would help a defensive Marth.

L__

Smash Master
Music doesn't usually help me playstyle wise. It helps me more with concentrating.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
ya i **** with fox when im listening to hardcore/techno/dance BASICALLY JUST FAST ELECTRONIC MUSIC THERES TOO MANY DAM GENRES

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Music makes me play more aggressively than I already do--which can never be a good thing XD I'm so super-aggressive as is T_T;;

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I do not like listening to music.

I would rather hear the in-game sounds as well as my opponent's controller.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i remember watching wobbles play kos-mos once, and both of them looked in the zone while their ipods were blaring into their ears XD

some people prefer it. and it doesn't really matter either way i don't think, except that in teams matches...srsly. partner communication>feeling teh beats.

i pretty much need the melee background music, though. i don't like it when the background music is turned off, but that might be because i'm so used to it.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
i pretty much need the melee background music, though. i don't like it when the background music is turned off, but that might be because i'm so used to it.
This is actually one of the dangers of listening to music while you play, because you end up starting to associate a certain level of play with particular music. Then one day you forget your music at a tournament and your ****ed :)

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I'm extremely bad at staying focused when a lot of people are talking (tournaments, usually. I can do fine at small smashfests and smaller tournaments) or if I get distracted by something (KosukeKGA can attest to this).

I don't listen to music at Smashfests or 1v1 sessions for two reasons: a) it takes out the socializing with whoever I'm playing with, and b) I have very little trouble concentrating in those situations. If I have trouble focusing at a smashfest or something, it's always fixed simply by cranking up the TV volume.

It's the same with school; I know people that can get their work done with everyone talking, but I can barely focus with even a low dose of talking.

I generally only listen to my MP3 player during tournaments because there's so many people there, and there's a lot of talking going on in the background.

I usually am not really picky with what I listen to, as long as it's not low-tempo.

a few songs I have on my playlist are..

Mezame by Yuki Kajiura
B.B. Evolution by AKHT
Karas Kenzai from Karas
Mute City (F-Zero) by Powerglove

and a few System of a Down songs.

I also am going to add a few songs by The Black Mages or OC-Remix or just songs from VG OSTs.

Alix

Smash Rookie
It is also a proven fact that techno raises your actions per minute in Starcraft :D

I mean, it depends on your style and character. For fast characters like Fox/Falco/Falcon, techno or similar music with a fast beat helps you play faster and more aggressive. But if you don't want to play aggressive, this could hurt you. So maybe mellow music would help a defensive Marth.
i should try that xD.
whats your apm?

El Gordo

Smash Cadet
As some music for fast charas was figured out,now I´d ike to point out some songs for slow charas. And I want YOU to supply me ;)

Meneks

Smash Lord
I think whenever i play while listening to music it helps me to remain calm, which in the end helps me execute really techy stuff without flaw...

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Anything hardcore, I usually favour progressive rock but listening to The Mars Volta turns my Falco into a campy little *****.

So I just go for something mental e.g. Agitated Scream of Maggots - Dir En Grey

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one who actually likes the in game music? If you could have Multi-Man Melee 2 and Battle Theme from Pokemon Gold on every stage, I'd love that. I don't really know if it affects my playstyle, however; it's just a preference for me.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I like the in game music, but I just prefer to hear something that won't make me thikn TOO hard on what's going on. It may sound strange, but in order for me to concentrate fully, I have to be relaxed or focused on more than one thing. So if I have music I enjoy, and also the game, I can focus completely. Otherwise, I'm rather dead in the water. (I just don't play to my fullest potential.)

As far as music, I suggest uptempo stuff. (I'm weird, as long as I get a good feeling I don't care if it's slow or not.) Jpop is like ideal for this. Metal also works. (Disturbed is AMAZING for Smash and focus). Techno is also ideal.

I suggest some of the songs used in combo videos as well. If you get a few of DJ Eggz' mixes, you'll get it. Mango has a combo video that has a link to DJ Eggz' Filefront.

Bets

Smash Journeyman
I have earphones that block out most outside noises and it helps me think. It works well in singles when I only have my opponent to worry about.

In doubles, I keep my music off because I have to communicate with my partner.

LSDX

Wah!
I always listen to music when I play, helps motivate me to win. Along with that, gives that epic feeling to just knee.

Nishin

Smash Apprentice
Very much so - for example: when I play the Great Bay stage (I know I shouldn't as it's not tourney legal), I'll put Saria's Song for the theme instead of the Zelda main theme.

Purely preference - but good music, I find, helps me play betterer.

Eyce Theon

Smash Cadet
I don't listen to music for tournament play, but playing metal in the background during friendlies sessions seems to augment the chances for awesome **** to happen.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
I used to think that music was nothing more than a distraction, but yesterday i tested listening to some uptempo music while i played marth vs fox and it really helped to drone out the other people talking and helped me focus on what was only on the screen. Just focusing on the screen is good for me because I can pick out more mistakes and analyze what should have been done versus what was done. I have concluded that music DOES help me to play to the best of my ability.

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
I do better listening to my iPod than the crap on Melee/Brawl. I guess it helps me get into the rythm of comboes.

Top Bottom