• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else find ike hard to deal with?

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
ive only played ikes on wifi so im technically not playing at full speed which is obviously important against ike.

but do you guys hate this match?

they just stand there and jump straight up and down. when you get close they jab you away. rinse and repeat.

TheMann

Smash Ace
Yea I can understand ike being hard online with lag and all. But irl i think you'd do alot better ROFL.

I guess what I do is fireball alot. Then get in and jab grab combo alot. Hmmm thats really vague....
Ok when I think of better things I'll post them.

I also know he can be spot dodged to Up + B alot. Although its dangerous its rewarding.

But yea IDK what to say other than I don't hate this match lol.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I find it rather easy. His attacks are so dang slow that I just airdodge everything and while they're recovering from lag... I nail them with an up tilted F-smash or a up B.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'll tell you as an Ike main that fighting Ike as Luigi is not entirely difficult.

Just be patient, find openings, punish, and **** off-stage.

A good Ike will do whatever he can to space Luigi and not get hit, but the fact is that if Ike makes one bad mistake, Luigi can punish for it.

If you run in blindly expecting an easy match without thinking. You will get *****.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ike can space really well and Luigi has trouble against the characters with above average range. Ike players aren't going to be using laggy moves either so the whole"Ike is slow" argument doesn't work here. his nair autocancels into his jabs which he can do anything out of: jab to grab, jab to more jabs, jab to nair, and even just finish out the jab combo. His bair OoS is also a very good punisher and comes out very fast. Spacing with fairs can also be pretty difficult to get around.......fireballs do an ok job of pressuring and can force an approach, but they're not going to shut down Ike's approach game.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Explain Plz?

Unless your talking about the other way around I don't get what you're talking about.
I've had an easy time gimping every single Weegee I've ever played. His recovery options are very similar to Ike's, saving the fact that they're slower and less safe.

XACE-K

Smash Master
This is wif-fi so it doesn't really count. IRL, Ike is easier but the match-up can go in either way.

-Ike will use his range and power to win while you should combo Ike to win.

-Both can be easy to gimp but if you're smart enough, Ike and Luigi would avoid this happening. The best way to gimp Ike is when he's off-stage, hit him enough so that Aether becomes useless when you need to recover. (Ike rarely uses QD to recover)

-Fireballs aren't a big nuisance since jab can cancel them but you can use it a little now and then just to be unpredictable.

- F-smash is your best kill move in this match-up. idk what Ike can live up to without dieing from Up-B but I've been hit by it in the high 80%s and still survive.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I've had an easy time gimping every single Weegee I've ever played. His recovery options are very similar to Ike's, saving the fact that they're slower and less safe.
Wha wha? Luigi can actually mix up his recovery, Ike on the other hand can only use aether.......QD recoveries are garbage.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
They may be, but I haven't seen anything better from Weegee. The closest thing he has to an unpunishable recovery is his DownB, but I've never had much trouble with it.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
They may be, but I haven't seen anything better from Weegee. The closest thing he has to an unpunishable recovery is his DownB, but I've never had much trouble with it.
You having no trouble with it means nothing. Ike is easy to gimp, that's common knowledge........Luigi off the stage is a hell of a lot better than Ike. That's just simple fact and it can't be argued.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
You having no trouble with it means nothing. Ike is easy to gimp, that's common knowledge........Luigi off the stage is a hell of a lot better than Ike. That's just simple fact and it can't be argued.
I'll say this. Weegee has to get Ike offstage first.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Luigi has as good as if not better ko options as Ike and most of his ko options are faster, landing a move with decent knockback is going to happen, it's inevitable.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I don't have problems with Ike. I just play defensively, look for patterns, and punish. I also don't have big problems recovering against Ike.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Fair.

10chars.

Fmash

10chars

Bair

10morechars

Nair
Fthrow
Bthrow
Dair
Ftilt
Dsmash
Usmash

10FairIsReallySlowAndEasilyAvoideds

The difference between a good Ike and a good luigi is fireballs. Plain and simple. Sure Ike will get around them, and get close to luigi, but not without putting himself into a punishable position. All you have to do with luigi is spam and read. If you don't win it's because you didn't read well. Plus, all it takes to shut down Ike's over-b is a fireball, leaving him one usable recovery move.

As for recovery, jump out of your recovery aerial and downb. Then recover high. Unless you **** up the airdodges pretty bad, Ike can't keep you from getting back to the stage untouched.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
^That would seem to be the case.

I don't see how Ike can easily gimp Luigi unless they're practically running into his sword.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ike is annoying, but I feel the matchup is in Luigi's favor by 6/4.

Luigi CAN CAMP AGAINST IKE. Ike is horrible at dealing with projectiles, and he's so horrible at dealing with them that he gets messed up even by Luigi's Fireball.

Luigi also has very reliable combos on Ike. Ike does not have any good combo breaker attacks, so juggling him around isn't very hard at low percents.

The main problem is landing a KO move on him because it's fairly unsafe to completely miss him due to his long range and high KO power on other moves, and his Jab combo does outspeed your KO moves. But otherwise Luigi has pretty easy control of the matchup.

I'm not sure how much Luigi slides when he is hit by certain attacks, but I do know that Mario is able to easily punish a lot of Ike's approaches with U-smash out of shield. Just something to consider. Powershielding probably really pays off against Ike in this matchup too.

Eten

Smash Ace
Landing KO moves with luigi is no harder than landing combo starters. They both come from the same place, reading Ike and taking advantage of his lag somewhere.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Ike is easy to win with Luigi or atleast with MY Luigi just dodge his smashes and if he does side b burn his *** with some fireballs and try to be grabbing him alot during the lag of his attacks and some a- jab to up b combos.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ike is easy to win with Luigi or atleast with MY Luigi just dodge his smashes and if he does side b burn his *** with some fireballs and try to be grabbing him alot during the lag of his attacks and some a- jab to up b combos.
Ignorant post is ignorant.

Just about every other post for Luigi is legit though. Better than what I've seen in other boards.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I find it rather easy. His attacks are so dang slow that I just airdodge everything and while they're recovering from lag... I nail them with an up tilted F-smash or a up B.
Do you know why any reason Ike is in middle tier? He isn't so slow if you really know the character. Nair autocancels combo starter, biggest Fair range and has some IASA frames, Upair has gigantic range too, Jab combo comes out at like frame 2? Please tell me you've been fighting Wiimote Fsmashing ikes because you deserve a slap in the face tyvm.

I'll tell you as an Ike main that fighting Ike as Luigi is not entirely difficult.

Just be patient, find openings, punish, and **** off-stage.

A good Ike will do whatever he can to space Luigi and not get hit, but the fact is that if Ike makes one bad mistake, Luigi can punish for it.

If you run in blindly expecting an easy match without thinking. You will get *****.
Agreed. Also can go vice versa, if luigi misses a fjp, thats a free fsmash to his ***.

True, but Ike ***** Weegees recovery.
Agreed. Both can gimp each other pretty easily actually. Ike has spikes, can counter, aether spike, and giant Fair and if the luigi's sloppy on the recovery, yay fsmash. Weegee can go for a Dair/Bair stage spikes, fireballs, WoPs and maybe if the ike is super sloppy maybe a taunt spike ftw? ;D /sarcrasm.

Ike can space really well and Luigi has trouble against the characters with above average range. Ike players aren't going to be using laggy moves either so the whole"Ike is slow" argument doesn't work here. his nair autocancels into his jabs which he can do anything out of: jab to grab, jab to more jabs, jab to nair, and even just finish out the jab combo. His bair OoS is also a very good punisher and comes out very fast. Spacing with fairs can also be pretty difficult to get around.......fireballs do an ok job of pressuring and can force an approach, but they're not going to shut down Ike's approach game.
Agreed. Fireballs are just the iminor annoyance for Ike and majority of the cast. Jab > fireball.

Ike is annoying, but I feel the matchup is in Luigi's favor by 6/4.

Luigi CAN CAMP AGAINST IKE. Ike is horrible at dealing with projectiles, and he's so horrible at dealing with them that he gets messed up even by Luigi's Fireball.

Luigi also has very reliable combos on Ike. Ike does not have any good combo breaker attacks, so juggling him around isn't very hard at low percents.

The main problem is landing a KO move on him because it's fairly unsafe to completely miss him due to his long range and high KO power on other moves, and his Jab combo does outspeed your KO moves. But otherwise Luigi has pretty easy control of the matchup.

I'm not sure how much Luigi slides when he is hit by certain attacks, but I do know that Mario is able to easily punish a lot of Ike's approaches with U-smash out of shield. Just something to consider. Powershielding probably really pays off against Ike in this matchup too.
Luigi's low traction makes him gay in this matchup. Powershielding/spotdodging is needed more. If the ike perfectly spaced his Fair, luigi slides like a mile on FD, and he can't punish at all but is avoided shield pressure.

WIGI

Smash Champion
i deal with ikes by fthrowing them of the stage then short hop- fair or dair-> anotehr air or dadiar and tehre dead. tehre below teh satge so tehr chargy thing is vitoesd and tehre to far away for his crappy horizontal up b.

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
hmmm im thinking a lot of you guys have a lack of experience.

fireballs are bad in this matchup. when i fireball, ikes move ends up hitting the fireball, and THEN hitting me because its so strong lol.

you cant shield ikes attacks because then you slide far away and cannot punish. which is exactly what he wants. this makes you rely on power shielding and spot dodging which is very dangerous considering if you mess up on these precise timings you can find yourself dead in 1 - 3 moves.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
As an Ike main, (I'd say he's my 2nd best character behind Luigi) most people here are saying things like "dodge attacks and punish lag." Well you know, Ike's moves are hard to punish OoS because you're sent a mile away, and Ike doesn't need skill to kill Luigi early.

All of his aerials kill, and a jab cancel (jab jab-> jab combo) does over 20 damage on the spot, and is very easy to land. His N-Air auto cancels into true combo N-Air AAA, and all of his aerials kill. Recovering from below is BEGGING for a D-Tilt spike, and if you're sloppy, Ike can D-Air spike you.

So I'm saying now, this match is far from one sided. Maybe 45:55 in either one's favor.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
As an Ike main, (I'd say he's my 2nd best character behind Luigi) most people here are saying things like "dodge attacks and punish lag." Well you know, Ike's moves are hard to punish OoS because you're sent a mile away, and Ike doesn't need skill to kill Luigi early.

All of his aerials kill, and a jab cancel (jab jab-> jab combo) does over 20 damage on the spot, and is very easy to land. His N-Air auto cancels into true combo N-Air AAA, and all of his aerials kill. Recovering from below is BEGGING for a D-Tilt spike, and if you're sloppy, Ike can D-Air spike you.

So I'm saying now, this match is far from one sided. Maybe 45:55 in either one's favor.
Ok see this is the problem, offstage; Luigi will not recover under the stage unless its the only way he can at the moment. Even with that Luigi's will use the tornado and DI away from the stage to then fall into the stage easily or sweetspot the ledge. The Ike user might think (I'll Fair him in the face!), unfortunately this is not Melee, there are multiple air dodges.

Ike's moves, unfortunately, are not hard to punish;
Basically this sums it up:

Eten said:
Landing KO moves with luigi is no harder than landing combo starters. They both come from the same place, reading Ike and taking advantage of his lag somewhere.
Luigi can live easily over the 100's with no problem assuming the player using him DI's properly.

Another plus that Luigi has is that he has his projectile, something that Ike doesn't have, this projectile when it hits, stuns for a small period of time which can allow the Luigi user time to approach (assuming he didn't use the fireball from far away.)

Now the good thing Ike has over Luigi is Ike's crazy range with his sword, but even then, depending on the aerial or attack used, the Luigi user can approach accordingly while Ike recovers from his lag moves.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ike can just jab the fireball............seriously fireballs are crap against Ike stop bringing them up.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
The fireball is the thing that gives Luigi the advantage. And yes, I didn't say it's hard to punish Ike. It's just that a good one won't give you the opportunity as often as you may think.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Fireballs aren't crap. Yes, he can jab them, but you'll shoot one right after, he'll use his second jab, then his last jab, and then he eats two fireballs. If you shoot one out of nowhere it'll get him off guard. Shoot one if he uses QD, etc. There are many opportunities to use a fireball.

WIGI

Smash Champion
Ike can just jab the fireball............seriously fireballs are crap against Ike stop bringing them up.
yeah and i can powersheild every projectile in the game theoretically. whats your point. so he can jab stuff. use some mindgames.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Fireballs aren't crap. Yes, he can jab them, but you'll shoot one right after, he'll use his second jab, then his last jab, and then he eats two fireballs. If you shoot one out of nowhere it'll get him off guard. Shoot one if he uses QD, etc. There are many opportunities to use a fireball.
What? he can just jab cancel and have no problems whatsoever. Sure you can catch him off guard a couple times but the fireballs certainly aren't the reason why Luigi has the advantage.

@ WIGI, sure fireballs are ok and you can land a few, but they certainly don't factor much into the matchup as some people are implying in this thread.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
What? he can just jab cancel and have no problems whatsoever. Sure you can catch him off guard a couple times but the fireballs certainly aren't the reason why Luigi has the advantage.

@ WIGI, sure fireballs are ok and you can land a few, but they certainly don't factor much into the matchup as some people are implying in this thread.
Sure, he can jab them, the same as MK's tornado eats them up and Marth's jab cancels them. Is it good to still use them against them? Yes:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=qkSaWDo0gzA
TheMann vs Ankoku

0:14-0:18
Mann fireballs and is able to approach and land the fsmash after Ankoku shields>sidestep>side b

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=6cjmYA698vQ
Boss vs. Korn

0:47-0:49 perfect example, mindgame -> free Dair hit.

It's not just Fireball spam on the ground, it's knowing how to mix it up.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
The Mann vs. Ankoku

1:46- The Mann gets grabbed for using the fireball

1:51-eats up b out of shield because of fireball use.

Fireballs are useful, i'm not arguing that........but they certainly don't give Luigi the advantage in the match.
Even in the match vs. Ankoku the fireballs didn't change the game or anything.

Top Bottom