• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does any other game have as many inputs per second?

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I don't know much about other professionally played games outside of this one, but can anyone think of a game that requires more button inputs per second than this? Assume the number of inputs is based on a very technical Fox.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Uh, Guilty Gear is up near Fox for almost every character. There are more technical fighters than even Guilty Gear (Virtua Fighter? idk) but I can't think of any specifics.

Stev

Smash Ace
at least for long term.
i can't find it right now, but there was an actions per minute thread a while back, and ithad an 18 second clip of armada doing fcnairs at 940 apm
This is irrelevant. It's not a match. That's like asking someone how many letters they can type in a minute.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
Ok, rephrase. Is there any game that's played only on a standard or arcade controller that has comparable APM to this game? So far we have Guilty Gear, and possibly Virtua Fighter. Anyone know if Melty Blood is up there?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
fastest likely button thing for melee I can think of per a sec. would be 15 from pikachu/pichu jab. maybe some crazy de-synce as ice climbers

Zodiac

Smash Master
this got me thinking and wondering what my apm were, so I jotted down my apm for fox and it came out to this

Low of 190 Inputs per minute (APM)

High of 275 inputs per minute. (APM)

And the highest APS I had was around 7 or 8, Im sure it could get a little higher though with the more technical players.

And btw there is another thread that has a lot of listed APM's for pro players such as...

M2K (Not his fox though)
Mango
zhu
Shiz
Jman
Dark rain

and others.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
meltyblood doesn't have a high apm lol.

HURR MASH 2A, THEN COMBO A *****.

Yeah, really technical. ^^;

AXE 09

Smash Master
you know... there's also a lot of things to consider when measuring a players APM

like... how hard you press in L/R, or how slightly you tilt the control stick in different directions, etc.

Zodiac

Smash Master
you know... there's also a lot of things to consider when measuring a players APM

like... how hard you press in L/R, or how slightly you tilt the control stick in different directions, etc.
Yea, for counting apm, I went into sony vegas and advanced the video frame by frame, it really speeds up the process. I acount for all of those when I count apm, litterally everything, even changing direction during a jump, anything that would register as a new input for the game.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I just thought about it I think the piano has the most button inputs or at least it could I don't play the piano but yeah it's likely.

If you pummel the A button as pikachu/pichu for a min. you can have 900 button inputs melee for win brawl only takes one.

Also it depends on how they do attacks you can have 2 inputs for a smash, jab, air move,or grab vs just 1 input.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
I was actually curious and it depends. On competitive games starcraft seems to be the fastest, but does include a fair bit of repetitive inputs. it has averages around 200 apm and has peaks of over 400 apm for top players.
Melee does come pretty close with certain characters like fox around 200 or higher depending on how fast you play. Guilty gear though seems to have more inputs than melee. dunno about tekken or virtua fighter though.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Since smash has more direct control over the speed,direction and "flow" of your character then I'm assuming that few fighters have more inputs per second.

Just because high end play,per second,could have a fairly substantial number of inputs depending on the character.(I'm thinking Sheik,Fox and Falco here)

You also have to take into account that smash games(I believe)tend to last longer on average than most fighters.Further improving it's chances of having more inputs.

I honestly don't think guilty gear has as many inputs per second.It probably has a few seconds that exceed what smash would have but on average no.Unless your playing Chipp Zanuff on crack or something.

Oh and that Tetris video has blown my mind.

INVISIBLE! REALLY!

I think that guy+tetris wins.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
Since smash has more direct control over the speed,direction and "flow" of your character then I'm assuming that few fighters have more inputs per second.

Just because high end play,per second,could have a fairly substantial number of inputs depending on the character.(I'm thinking Sheik,Fox and Falco here)

You also have to take into account that smash games(I believe)tend to last longer on average than most fighters.Further improving it's chances of having more inputs.
I think you also have to remember that we see a lot of peaks and dips. For example when you are comboing you have a lot of actions, but when you're getting comboed or recovering you see very very little actions.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
Starcraft usually has around 300-400 apm average, and can sometimes spike up to 1000 apm, I think that beats melee pretty handidly. I would also think MvC2 would have a rather high APM.

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_788cdsNXE8#t=5m10s

I'd guess this solo has over 1000 APM, and the whole song above 500, probably much more. I'd be surprised if any other console game matched that without mashing.
Speaking of music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2kfD5ZKls#t=7m0s
(The link should go to 7 min, but it wasn't working for me)
From this point to the end is 1000 APM, at my most conservative count, it can vary, depending on the bowings and fingerings the player uses
I actually counted the APM for this a couple of months ago, I never thought I'd get to show off my knowledge

Zodiac

Smash Master
Starcraft usually has around 300-400 apm average, and can sometimes spike up to 1000 apm, I think that beats melee pretty handidly. I would also think MvC2 would have a rather high APM.
Actually, I've been reading up on it.

OCCASIONALLY it hits the 400 area, but most players stay in the range of 200 - 300.

Also, lets keep in mind that with star craft, your constantly clicking the mouse because there is a LOT more management to do, And sure I could stay in one place and shffl shine nairs in one spot for the entire 3 minutes of a melee match, but my opponent would hit me for it.

If we can get a smasher that could actually just sit on fd and shffl shine nairs for 3 straight minutes we could get an accurate count, if anyone can do that, and record please do.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
Actually, I've been reading up on it.

OCCASIONALLY it hits the 400 area, but most players stay in the range of 200 - 300.

Also, lets keep in mind that with star craft, your constantly clicking the mouse because there is a LOT more management to do, And sure I could stay in one place and shffl shine nairs in one spot for the entire 3 minutes of a melee match, but my opponent would hit me for it.

If we can get a smasher that could actually just sit on fd and shffl shine nairs for 3 straight minutes we could get an accurate count, if anyone can do that, and record please do.
True Story Bro.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
I was a bit high the first time, but it's probably around 300 avg. 400 is a lot more common than just occasionally. For example Jaedong and Nada averaged 400 a game, and there are random videos of people spiking over 800 in pro games. If they just tried to increase apm then their avg apm would be a lot higher, but thy actually try to win. It's not like smashers have some random spamin games as well.

Top Bottom