• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dodges, Rolls and ADes

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok so I found a problem in the air dodging fix. The point was to reduce invincibility but to keep the same overall number of frames. Well here is the code:

FF190021 3F800000
FF050021 40000000

The bold is the problem. This should be less than 1 because right now, you removed 10 frames from the invincibility time but didn't tag on 10 frames at the end. So in actuality, you buffed air dodges. Looking at the link cape provided, we need 4 lines because half the cast's air dodge is 39 frames and the other is 49.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Ok so I found a problem in the air dodging fix. The point was to reduce invincibility but to keep the same overall number of frames. Well here is the code:

FF190021 3F800000
FF050021 40000000

The bold is the problem. This should be less than 1 because right now, you removed 10 frames from the invincibility time but didn't tag on 10 frames at the end. So in actuality, you buffed air dodges. Looking at the link cape provided, we need 4 lines because half the cast's air dodge is 39 frames and the other is 49.
Interesting. I don't think the intent was to keep the air dodges with the same amount of frames, just less invincibility, but I'm unsure. Still, a nice find.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok, so here is my problem with brawl's frames in relation to power shielding. There is too many accidental PSes at 2 frames that imo is unacceptable and its impossible to PS at 1 frame. Is there a way that we can hook powershielding up to the say mechanism as teching? You have a 2 frame window and a punishment window as well. Also, you can't hold the shield button to tech after a missed tech so is there some way we can do this for PSing? The PSing window doesn't open back up until you release the button?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
We discussed that and though I support the idea the problem comes with decided what button to map PS to. Assuming we'd make it a shield button that leaves L and R. Well I use R to shield and tech and my friend uses L. Who decides which one of us has to change now? We can't map it to some button on the controller that we can edit with the control set up either.

I also think there was something about Smash being straight forward... I don't know. But that was the big problem with changing it to your suggestion.

kupo15

Smash Hero
We discussed that and though I support the idea the problem comes with decided what button to map PS to. Assuming we'd make it a shield button that leaves L and R. Well I use R to shield and tech and my friend uses L. Who decides which one of us has to change now? We can't map it to some button on the controller that we can edit with the control set up either.

I also think there was something about Smash being straight forward... I don't know. But that was the big problem with changing it to your suggestion.
Excuse me but what? When did I ever mention the fact that we should remap the power shield button to a different button?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
what Kupo was saying that we should make our own fix for powershielding to close the powershielding window if the button was held for more than 2 frames, and only allow the window to open up again if you release the button and re-press it.

I think that's a great solution that's been mentioned millions of times but never followed up on. :(

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
what Kupo was saying that we should make our own fix for powershielding to close the powershielding window if the button was held for more than 2 frames, and only allow the window to open up again if you release the button and re-press it.

I think that's a great solution that's been mentioned millions of times but never followed up on. :(
Yeah. Gonna second this. Stops people from just holding shield during their landlag and getting a PS if their opponent attacks just a little bit too late. They'd need to actually time it, which would significantly cut down on accidental PSs.

Now, I believe that when this was first suggested that it was brought up that this is how it was in melee. I'm pretty sure that isn't true, though, as I distinctively remember firefoxing above the stage once, holding R as I fell, and when I landed, I ended up PS'ing what would have been a tipper marth fsmash.

Not that it matters, though, as I do firmly believe the PS should have a punishment window.

D

Deleted member

so in short we don't want people to buffer PSes?

how the hell are we supposed to code that? (I'm already busy so don't ask me)

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
so in short we don't want people to buffer PSes?

how the hell are we supposed to code that? (I'm already busy so don't ask me)
This

With only 2 full time coders, both are back logged this sounds like a pretty huge code to do such a simple thing. Of course I'm just a test grunt, what would I know about coding.

D

Deleted member

problem is that spunits computer was broken or something like that, and even if I had time for this one that would mean I would need this "ground" from spunit.

Almas

Smash Lord
A better break would be through the powershield window modifier code. It should have a route back to the root pointer through r29 akin to other codes, which would let you investigate the current animation of the person who triggered looking at the constant.

If their current animation is 000 (standing), the value is set to 2, else it's set to 0.

Yay, relying on good luck.

D

Deleted member

hm that might be a good one.

since we're talking about codes anyway, how do the hitbox/framespeed/grav codes find out what character has triggered the code? cuz that's a problem I found trying to convert my fallspecial code (needed for mave specific and other stuff)

kupo15

Smash Hero
If their current animation is 000 (standing), the value is set to 2, else it's set to 0.

Yay, relying on good luck.
But don't you go into the standing animation for at least one frame before you can power shield or no?

D

Deleted member

it means that the game would be using 0 frames for as long as you are in the air/landing, so it should not count those frames when it is set to 2 when you are actually standing.

I have no clue however what happens when you change stuff like this while it is buffered

The Cape

Smash Master
So what it seems to me is that when you sheild it will powersheild no matter what on frame 2, no matter when you begin to hold sheild. So we just open the window at 2 and close it at 3?

Almas

Smash Lord
Yeah, it may actually require more thinking on my part. We'll see, although I've got some stuff to work through. Will finally have time to finish off my Engine Codes on Friday/Saturday, and then the Clone Engine (and creating a way to deal with the swarm of idiot questions I'll get).

Speaking of which (I'm too lazy for another topic), if anyone ever gets the mood to write up a set of hitbox/animation modifiers (as in actual code) for Roy (give him an arbitrary unused ID other than 10), it'd be nice for the release of said code. Doesn't really need complete balance, just something clearly different from Marth.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Yeah, it may actually require more thinking on my part. We'll see, although I've got some stuff to work through. Will finally have time to finish off my Engine Codes on Friday/Saturday, and then the Clone Engine (and creating a way to deal with the swarm of idiot questions I'll get).

Speaking of which (I'm too lazy for another topic), if anyone ever gets the mood to write up a set of hitbox/animation modifiers (as in actual code) for Roy (give him an arbitrary unused ID other than 10), it'd be nice for the release of said code. Doesn't really need complete balance, just something clearly different from Marth.
I'd LOVE to work on this with someone, so if someone is good at writing a codes send me a PM or an email (brianriazzi@hotmail.com). This would be a lot of fun and I'd love to help.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, do we have all the Marth Hitbox data? We'd kind of need it.

The Cape

Smash Master
I can help with the Roy set as I have one kind of planned out already in the one thread, but I would love to retool it with GoG to make Roy be downloadable. Then we can do Doc >.>

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I can help with the Roy set as I have one kind of planned out already in the one thread, but I would love to retool it with GoG to make Roy be downloadable. Then we can do Doc >.>
Moving out this weekend and Mom's day means I'll be swamped all weekend. We'll work some times out though.

Top Bottom