• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you want/expect one-shot Zelda characters? (Midna, Ghirahim, Champions, etc.)

Topic

• I want one-shot Zelda characters, but don't expect them

Votes: 118 65.9%
  • I expect one-shot Zelda characters, but don't want them

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I want and expect one-shot Zelda characters

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I neither want nor expect one-shot Zelda characters

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I don't care

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
A character who has only been in one main-series game. Like Midna was only in Twilight Princess, and the Champions haven’t been in any games outside of BotW.

Some characters like Skull Kid are basically one-shots because the main version people want are from a single game and they’ve made only cameos in others
Ah ok, thanks alot.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Well in that case yeah, I'd love them. I kinda feel like the only one that has a chance, however, is Midna, due to the fact that Nintendo Occasionally Looks back at the last generation of consoles, and we got a TP Remaster on the Wii U, the game which Midna hails from. Still wouldn't bet on it, though.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Just chiming in here to comment on the state of Zelda representation.
  • We have three Links, two Zeldas, and one Ganon.
  • The adult Link is now his BotW self as we already knew. He's a rightie, has Remote Bombs, and lost the Hookshot.
  • Young Link still sports his OoT appearance.
  • Toon Link isn't different at all, really.
  • Zelda now has her ALBW design for whatever reason. I say "whatever reason" because Sakurai's reasoning for shafting BotW Zelda was poor.
  • Sheik's still the only one-shot as of yet, but now has her unused Twilight Princess head pasted onto Link's Stealth Armor from BotW.
  • Ganondorf gets his ACTUAL OoT appearance, not the Space World adaptation. Also he has a sword.
Still no other one-shots in sight. Half the Zelda roster being incarnations of one legacy-archetype is rather silly, though.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'm a fan of the characters and the Zelda franchise moreso than others but I'd rather the one-shot characters be Assist Trophies while ones with multiple appearances deserve a spot the most. Really, I'm just saying add Impa already, she's so iconic. Sheik still puzzles me to this day but it's whatever.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I just want Lana. Zant would be a distant second choice.

@ the new Zelda: It’s actually AlttP Zelda, the translator botched the title apparently. She has a couple of things from ALBW Zelda, though. Then again, they’re nearly identical.

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
so Midna's an assist again :/ so much for my top pick. what about Ghirahim, any sign of him yet? the current lineup uses a good variety of designs and Skyward Sword is the only 3D Zelda without a representative. but i guess by that logic, they could also go with Impa like everyone except me seems to want.

Tingle has a decent resume too, is he still in the running? i'd be a little disappointed if the first truly new Zelda character in 18 years is a joke character, but at this point i'll take it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
No and no. Ghirahim and Midna are fun characters, but the Zelda roster is fine as it is.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
so Midna's an assist again :/ so much for my top pick. what about Ghirahim, any sign of him yet? the current lineup uses a good variety of designs and Skyward Sword is the only 3D Zelda without a representative. but i guess by that logic, they could also go with Impa like everyone except me seems to want.

Tingle has a decent resume too, is he still in the running? i'd be a little disappointed if the first truly new Zelda character in 18 years is a joke character, but at this point i'll take it.
Sorry, but Ghirahim's been sighted as an AT, so no him either.
The only Zelda characters I'd keep an eye out for at this point are Skull Kid, Impa as an Echo, and maybe Tingle assuming he's not part of Great Bay again.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Ghirahim and Midna are ATs, Tingle, Skull Kid, and Impa are still MIA although Great Bay is back so it seems like Tingle's probably out. I really doubt any of the Champions are showing up, none of them are particularly charismatic IMO.

My ideal scenario would be Tingle as a fully fledged newcomer and Impa as an echo fighter. I think the Zelda roster would be perfect then. Skull Kid's awesome too but those two would cover all of the truly recurring characters.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Kind of a bummer that they don't use Vaati more. He looks so cool (Though as with most zelda villains he's very cheesy with his dialogue). I still can't wait to play Minish Cap to learn about him by playing the game. I've only fought Vaati's Eyeball monster form in Four Swords (and Four Swords Adventures I think).

Though whichever form he takes, it'll be pretty easy to get a nice unique moveset for him. I do worry about Vaati though because of Tri-Force heroes having only 3 players. Makes me worried that we may never see another 4 player zelda, thus no Four sword, meaning no Vaati. On a side note I do hope the online service will allow us to play Four Swords again but with other people. I would love to play that because Four Swords is such a blast.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I've always felt that Sakurai neglects the Zelda series. In Brawl, Toon Link was the most clone of all of the semi-clones, to the extent that many of Tink's attacks were coded wrong (kick instead of shoulder) because they didn't bother to change the coding from the parent. Come Sm4sh and Zelda still hasn't got any newcomers but now Zelda's final smash was stolen by an interloper, and Link and Tink weren't even able to get different crowd chants.

I'd really like some of the one-shot characters. Marth, Ike, Roy, and now Robin and Lucy haven't really been relevant in Fire Emblem, but they get added all the time, meanwhile Zelda keeps the same characters. I'd also like if any new Zelda characters would rep their respective games so that Link and Zelda could stay relatively the same (Zelda is doing quite well representing Ocarina of Time, whereas Link is pretty well a general Link from all of the games). Honestly, Tink should have more of a Wind-Waker moveset to rep that game and to declone him a bit, and Ganondorf should discard some of his more blatant Falcon moves to rep a general Ganon/dorf moveset.

Midna's been one of the biggest names in all of this, and she could easily rep Twilight Princess herelf. After Hyrule Warriors, moveset is not an issue anymore. The same could be said of Fi, but Ghirahim is the name more often bandied about, which would also be appropriate and give us another villain. Same with Skull Kid and Majora's Mask, but there are also calls for Young Link with a new mask moveset, which may be harder to implement. (Yes, Skull Kids the race have appeared elsewhere, but people don't want the rando you get a Piece of Heart from in Ocarina, they want the one wearing Majora's Mask, who was only in one game)

As for Breath of the Wild, that would be tough to get one rep for all of them. Sakurai doesn't like to add characters with no future (or at least he holds this rule for Zelda and not Fire Emblem) and all of the champions are dead, so that presents a problem. I can't see all four getting in (but how awesome would that be), and just putting one in would feel like breaking up a set. True, each race does have their own versions of each weapon style, so it's conceivable that one champion could represent all four (get all four champion abilities as specials, use various weapons as normals, and a divine beast final smash), but again, which could be considered more important than the rest? A fun compromise would be for all four to share a slot and moveset, but while scaling Urbosa, Revali, and Mipha to fit, Daruk would not work well in that case. Or, another character could be added to use all four champions specials and summon their spirits as necessary (Kass, or go with a sheikah like Impa here).

Trying to place one champion over the others is also tough based on timing. If the roster was planned around summer of '16, that means that he had access to the concept art and maybe some hints from the directors about their abilities and personalities, but not their reception. I think the directors were surprised how popular Sidon ended up being. That also makes it much harder to predict what will happen.

If it were up to me, I would 100% put Zelda one-shots in, and in this order:
  1. Urbosa (BotW)
  2. Midna (TP)
  3. Ghirahim (SS)
  4. Revali (BotW)
  5. Skull Kid (MM)
Oohohohohohoho, Kass would be perfect for that role. Damn, that's super unlikely, but man am I ever envisioning Kass as a vassal for all the Campions abilities now. I've always loved bards in fiction, and Kass with the guardian powers and his mere personality would fit the D&D and greater fiction archetype of the jack-of-all-trades bard. He's already a Rito, so Revali's Gail as an up b is a given, but add healing or buffs from Mipha and some spear attacks, Daruks Boulder Breaker (and maybe a move utilizing his protection somehow, since making it a flavor for his shield just seems lame to me. Maybe a down b that acts as a counter, but instead of damage, the shield breaks and launches opponents away with a powerful windbox? Great use as a keep away and edge guard tool, but really slow recharge?), and some electric flourishes and dances with the Scimitar and shield, and damn you would have one hell of a charismatic, vibrant bard to join the roster. He sings legends of all four champions, and even has unique songs for all of them: He's clearly well learned on the champions and their history, as well a good bard should be. Damn, now I just really want a bard in Smash.

As for who I would want in Smash as another Zelda one of (besides Kass now), I've always loved Ghirahim. The teleporting sword stuff could make for some neat shenanigans, plus I just love the flamboyant aesthetic mixed with his grimdark and sadistic sense of humor and sharp poignant soliloquies and threats.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just chiming in here to comment on the state of Zelda representation.
  • We have three Links, two Zeldas, and one Ganon.
  • The adult Link is now his BotW self as we already knew. He's a rightie, has Remote Bombs, and lost the Hookshot.
  • Young Link still sports his OoT appearance.
  • Toon Link isn't different at all, really.
  • Zelda now has her ALBW design for whatever reason. I say "whatever reason" because Sakurai's reasoning for shafting BotW Zelda was poor.
  • Sheik's still the only one-shot as of yet, but now has her unused Twilight Princess head pasted onto Link's Stealth Armor from BotW.
  • Ganondorf gets his ACTUAL OoT appearance, not the Space World adaptation. Also he has a sword.
Still no other one-shots in sight. Half the Zelda roster being incarnations of one legacy-archetype is rather silly, though.
i think at a later point he said he just went for the designs he liked

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
What are the chances we get Twili Midna as an echo of Zelda? I think it could work. It's a good way for Sakurai to round out the zelda roster and pleasing fans without putting in too many resources. Sure Impa Midna's an assist trophy, but hey, Melee had two different ages of the same Link, right?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What are the chances we get Twili Midna as an echo of Zelda? I think it could work. It's a good way for Sakurai to round out the zelda roster and pleasing fans without putting in too many resources. Sure Impa Midna's an assist trophy, but hey, Melee had two different ages of the same Link, right?
That would be cool but I think there's a much more likley candidate, especially given which Zelda we got...

Hilda: Princess of Lorule.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
That would be cool but I think there's a much more likley candidate, especially given which Zelda we got...

Hilda: Princess of Lorule.
You could get the exact same effect with a costume, so I'm pretty sure they'd just do that, like what they did with Link's FD costume.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Its possible that Skull Kid could be playable in smash ultimate Majora's Mask is popular allot people love Skull Kid and Skull Kid will be a better pick than Impa.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You could get the exact same effect with a costume, so I'm pretty sure they'd just do that, like what they did with Link's FD costume.
True, though I'm thinking of her having more subdued and downbeat animations to contrast with Zelda's newfound cheeriness. And I'm also thinking she holds that staff with the Lorule Triforce on it but doesn't use it in combat.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I was thinking that while Imp Midna is an Assist Trophy; Twili Midna is not. It's unlikely but not impossible. She could be an "Echo" of Zelda.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Though on the topic of Twili Midna and Hilda, from Daisy's reveal...

"Have fun playing as favourite Princesses"

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I don't really agree with the idea of throwing in echoes for the purpose of throwing in echoes, particularly the echoes which basically consist of "We sent the character to Hot Topic to get a makeover" like Dark Pit, Shadow or Hilda. Hilda could work best as a color swap and done.

While Twili Midna!Zelda would be possible, I still don't know how well it would work considering her imp form is way more recognizable. Then again, we don't really have any TP representation throughout our Zelda set anymore. I guess, but...

However, I do want to keep an open mind about DLC. If they're pulling popular characters for DLC, it'd be easy enough to add an assist trophy like Midna and add a patch that blocks that character from ever being selected as an assist again. Unlikely, but anything is possible when it comes to Smash.

I think the champions' chances dropped precipitously since Link's got BotW covered. At this point, it seems Skull Kid, Impa, and Tingle are the only ones realistically in the running for newcomers, but even then this is the most love the Zelda series has gotten in a while, and I can't see more after they pretty much had to do a ground-up rework of Link/Young Link.

Fierce Deity final smash pls? And fix the color of Link's 'FD' recolor, it looks best in white.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Now that you mentioned the Japanese Noid, given how they've thrown out keeping all the not-Toon Link characters designs beign from the same game, do you think that they'll use Tingle from the Tingle spin-offs?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i suppose lucario and greninja's pre evolved forms would work as echos, i dont think theyre likely but itd work

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
i suppose lucario and greninja's pre evolved forms would work as echos, i dont think theyre likely but itd work
Actually I don't think they would. Different sizes and proportions. They could definitely be clones, but my understanding of Echoes is that they're extreme examples of clones.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
I want pig ganon, and a rep for the zora, and one for gorons.

It's sad the Zelda franchise only has 3 unique movesets. And half its reps are clones and one that makes no send

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
At this point I reckon Ganondorf is different enough to be considered unique. I mean we don't call Luigi a Mario clone anymore.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
At this point I reckon Ganondorf is different enough to be considered unique. I mean we don't call Luigi a Mario clone anymore.
Still, the problem a lot of people have is that he doesn't really feel like a representation of Ganondorf from the games. I think he's closer now. If they gave him the ability to float like peach, incorporated his sword into a couple of his aerials, and gave him dead man's volley as a neutral B, I think I'd be content.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Technically ocarina of time ganondorf doesn't use a sword as a human and when hes ganon he uses duel swords:-\

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Sakurai just followed his heart when it came to the Zelda reps which is why we now have OoT Ganondorf and AlttP/ALBW :D Zelda.

After seeing Daisy’s mini trailer, I’m pretty sure Eliwood can sneak in as Roy’s Echo Fighter.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
However, I do want to keep an open mind about DLC. If they're pulling popular characters for DLC, it'd be easy enough to add an assist trophy like Midna and add a patch that blocks that character from ever being selected as an assist again. Unlikely, but anything is possible when it comes to Smash.
plot twist - ALL the assist trophies in the E3 build were just proof of concept for actual fighters they're working on
let me dream, okay

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sakurai just followed his heart when it came to the Zelda reps which is why we now have OoT Ganondorf and AlttP/ALBW :D Zelda.

After seeing Daisy’s mini trailer, I’m pretty sure Eliwood can sneak in as Roy’s Echo Fighter.
Actually Eliwood would need to be an Ike echo since Durandal is freaking ginormous. Eliwood can barely lift the damn thing.

Anyway... my thoughts on the minor recurring characters still stand:
  • Impa is too inconsistent to be a Sheik replacement or echo.
  • Tingle is not a fighter in canon.
  • Vaati's sorcerer form is effectively a one-shot. Also, giving eyed batcloud Vaati the Ridley redesign treatment wouldn't work.
  • Skull Kid's Majora's Mask form is also effectively a one-shot.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Actually Eliwood would need to be an Ike echo since Durandal is freaking ginormous. Eliwood can barely lift the damn thing.

Anyway... my thoughts on the minor recurring characters still stand:
  • Impa is too inconsistent to be a Sheik replacement or echo.
  • Tingle is not a fighter in canon.
  • Vaati's sorcerer form is effectively a one-shot. Also, giving eyed batcloud Vaati the Ridley redesign treatment wouldn't work.
  • Skull Kid's Majora's Mask form is also effectively a one-shot.
What about Twili Midna? She isn't likely but she isn't impossible.

Top Bottom