• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you want/expect one-shot Zelda characters? (Midna, Ghirahim, Champions, etc.)

Topic

• I want one-shot Zelda characters, but don't expect them

Votes: 118 65.9%
  • I expect one-shot Zelda characters, but don't want them

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I want and expect one-shot Zelda characters

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I neither want nor expect one-shot Zelda characters

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I don't care

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
The only fans the TP-SS era has are those who cling onto it for nostalgia alone due to it being the time period when they were introduced to the series.

For everyone else who was introduced to Zelda before or even after that era (meaning ALBW and beyond), it's by far the most disliked set of Zelda games there is.
Ok you are just objectively incorrect right now I'm sorry. Tp especially is VERY highly regarded within the Zelda fan base and generally. This should be obvious considering Midna is still unbelievably popular. To say that really ANY 3D Zelda is the low point of the series is frankly completely ignorant, when the low points of the series are really some of the 2d Zeldas, like the Oracle games and the two toon Ds zeldas (again, leaving out personal opinions and just basing it off of objective fan reception).

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I'm a fan of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, but I was introduced to zelda through A Link to the Past. I mean I could explain why I like them and that the negative things of those games don't ruin the experience of the game for me, but that probably be for another thread as that can get off-topic fast. Besides, all the Zeldas have some major flaw(s) exclusive to their specific title.

As for one-shot characters getting in. I do think that Midna and Majora's Mask/Skull Kid should get in at some point since I usually hear Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask get mentioned among peoples favorite Zelda.
As much as Ghirahim would be a strong contender to be my main if he got in smash (Speed, Sword, Projectiles, teleporting, and entertaining character) and I would love to fight him in smash, I just don't see it happening. Even if Ghirahim is popular, he doesn't seem to have the burning hot popularity that Midna and Majora's Mask/Skull Kid have. Besides, Fi will probably be the rep from that game if they chose one from Skyward Sword. At least there's Hyrule Warriors, he's pretty fun and interesting in that.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I haven't seen much Midna fandom (or Twilight Princess fandom, for that matter) outside this board. Granted, it's been a few years since I frequented Zelda Universe.

It's also crazy to me to think that Fi would get in Smash before Ghirahim, seeing as they're both basically one shots, and the former isn't shown fighting and has much less personality.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I haven't seen much Midna fandom (or Twilight Princess fandom, for that matter) outside this board. Granted, it's been a few years since I frequented Zelda Universe.

It's also crazy to me to think that Fi would get in Smash before Ghirahim, seeing as they're both basically one shots, and the former isn't shown fighting and has much less personality.
I mean I'm just speaking from personal experience so take it with a grain of salt. Basically people in my town and random youtubers talking about Zelda in reference when they were talking about something else. Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask popped up a lot.

I will say I was saddened to not see Ghirahim return for Breath of the Wild. Seeing Demise slowly look to his sword hand when his sword disappeared made me have hope that Demise didn't do that on purpose, and that it was Ghirahim just teleporting out to do his own thing because Demise isn't strong enough for Ghirahim to stick with anymore. Of course, They decided to revamp the Zelda series in Breath of the Wild so I dunno if we'll ever see Ghirahim again. Of course they could do the thing that Fi does and they just have him in his sword form only being used by Ganondorf instead in some future Zelda. Whenever we see Ganondorf again (it's been 12 years since we saw his Twilight Princess appearance!)

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Ghirahim and Midna aren't popular because the games are well regarded. They are loved because
  • They were in games that received a lot of attention and had a large playerbase
  • They had likable, well written, and memorable characters (in both their cases they were the most memorable parts of their respective stories).
It's the characters that are loved, not the games.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
My most wanted Smash newcomer is Midna. So naturally, yes, I do want one-shot Zelda characters. I don't think being one-shots should downplay the popularity and potential some of these characters have, plus adding one of these characters is an acknowledgement of the diversity in the Zelda series and that Link, Zelda and Ganon (and variations) are not the only characters that matter. Especially to the fans.

Midna is one of the more important one-shots and one of the most popular and (imo) has the strongest moveset potential.

Skull Kid would probably be number two...although he did appear in three titles but his appearances in OoT and TP were so minor he may as well be a one-shot.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
My most wanted Smash newcomer is Midna. So naturally, yes, I do want one-shot Zelda characters. I don't think being one-shots should downplay the popularity and potential some of these characters have, plus adding one of these characters is an acknowledgement of the diversity in the Zelda series and that Link, Zelda and Ganon (and variations) are not the only characters that matter. Especially to the fans.

Midna is one of the more important one-shots and one of the most popular and (imo) has the strongest moveset potential.

Skull Kid would probably be number two...although he did appear in three titles but his appearances in OoT and TP were so minor he may as well be a one-shot.
Would you rather Midna be in her imp form or her Twili form? Personally I'd prefer Twili Midna and have her use a lot of her moves from HW.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Would you rather Midna be in her imp form or her Twili form? Personally I'd prefer Twili Midna and have her use a lot of her moves from HW.
Honestly I'll take her in any form.

But if I had to choose her imp form with Wolf Link is what she is best known for and having her twili magic paired with Wolf Link's beastiness ould make for a cool combination.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I'll take her in any form.

But if I had to choose her imp form with Wolf Link is what she is best known for and having her twili magic paired with Wolf Link's beastiness ould make for a cool combination.
I see what you mean. But man, that twilight mirror is god damn cool.

Either way I think that a cool thing to do would be to not have wolf link, necessarily, but to do what HW did and have her summon shadow wolves to ride around and send out like projectiles.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm referring to Twili Midna. I'm aware that Regular Midna is below. I dunno, just felt like being snarky.
I'm confused as to why you think Hyrule Warriors tier lists would affect whether I prefer Skull Kid or Midna.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I'm confused as to why you think Hyrule Warriors tier lists would affect whether I prefer Skull Kid or Midna.
I'm pretty sure he was just joking. BTW, I completely agree with you, Skull Kid is sooo awesome, he's been my most wanted smash character for as long as I can remember.

Here's a good candidate for a non-champion BotW character that could still showcase the champions' abilities: Kass.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I see what you mean. But man, that twilight mirror is god damn cool.

Either way I think that a cool thing to do would be to not have wolf link, necessarily, but to do what HW did and have her summon shadow wolves to ride around and send out like projectiles.
As I said I'll take Midna any way I can get her :p

But Solo Midna without a doubt would be an awesome character, having moves that would reference or summon Wolf Link/Shadow Wolf. She'd be a decent lightweight fighter that packs a huge punch (literally with her hair).

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Whoa, this thread blew up in the last few hours - did someone get confirmed?

Anyway, as to why Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword have the biggest volume requests: they were not in the slightest the Zelda low points. Twilight Princess was incredible for me. I know a lot of people griped about it since it did go for a really gritty “real is brown” desaturated artstyle. Skyward Sword’s biggest problem was the wonky control scheme. Honestly, I never touched Skyward Sword - I’m salty that Nintendo just made Link a righty instead of letting us lefties keep one of the only heores we have, and learning to use a remote with the wrong hand just to play a single game wasn’t really worth it. The Wii was actually a terrible console for 10% of the population when it came to playing anything other than Wii Sports (which gave the option to switch)

Still, Midna and Ghirahim were well developed characters in their respective games. There’s a reason Fi is not as hotly requested: she was Navi 2.0. Midna had a personality, and Ghirahim’s creepy camp was a lot more interesting than Zant’s bizarre childishness or Tingle’s... manchild creepfest.

Not to mention that both got a huge boost from Hyrule Warriors, which I wager did way better than they expected, and put all of those characters back in the spotlight. After all, which Impa do most people want? Old lady, young lady who just stands there and looks cool, or greatsword/naginata wielding ninja general?

Like I said before though, Midna is the most interesting to me. She was perfectly timed for Brawl and got nothing but a trophy. Then eight years after her game, she gets promoted to assist? Then she’s featured in Hyrule Warriors right around Sm4sh release? And then Hyrule Warriors gets a rerelease, Twilight Princess gets a rerelease, and now we just got Hyrule Warriors rereleasing again. And of course she’s still got a decent support base. Not a bad résumé for an 11.5 year old one-off character.

I love how Hyrule Warriors did her. I feel the imp form is just way more iconic than her true form, so I’d hope she used that, but I’d prefer she take generic shadow creatures over Wolf Link. After all, Midna’s the main part, and I wouldn’t want her overshadowed by uet another Link on the roster.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
For Midna's form. Imp Midna + Wolf Link is iconic and could provide some easy ways to have some very unique gameplay easily from there. Though if it was normal Imp Midna that'd probably be good. Though I gotta say, since 90% of the time you see Midna she's riding you in Twilight Princess, she can look a little weird when she's off of you and you realize just how tiny her body is compared to her head. I don't think Twili Midna should be there because not a whole lot of people are going to recognize that because it's in the very last bit of the game. Not to mention it'd be a spoiler to anyone who hasn't played it (....... that didn't stop the zelda/sheik transformation from being a thing though....) I grew to love the Imp Midna character when playing Twilight Princess. I don't have any fond memories of Twili Midna because she's only there for a minute or two. (I'm still waiting on her promise that we'll see her again..... Hyrule Warriors doesn't count! Get in another main Zelda game already!)

Impa was fun as heck in Hyrule Warriors. However, it'll be hard for her to shine over the very many other sword users in the game, whether it's quick like cloud or slow like Shulk. I thought it was pretty neat that Impa actually fought someone in Skyward Sword. Off the top of my head she uses a magic barrier to block some attacks from Ghirahim, and she also spawns some magic bomb to blow up a time gate. So perhaps if Impa did get a sword, she could get some magic to go along with it. It would fill a nice niche since while Robin may wield a Sword and Magic, he's really slow. If Impa is in the game, she's got to be fast. Sheikah are basically ninjas (magic ninjas in more later games it seems). Of course she wouldn't hit anywhere near as hard as Robin to balance it out.

With that said I'd be totally fine if Impa was an alt. skin of Sheik (or even replace sheik on the roster select but still have sheik as an alt skin. whichever I don't care). They are both Sheikah after all. Though if they weren't alt skins, then I'd personally like Impa to be a fast magic weilder that does do close combat similar to Sheik since Impa probably shouldnt do magic 24/7.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The only fans the TP-SS era has are those who cling onto it for nostalgia alone due to it being the time period when they were introduced to the series.

For everyone else who was introduced to Zelda before or even after that era (meaning ALBW and beyond), it's by far the most disliked set of Zelda games there is.
ill have you know good sir/madam that i was introduced to the zelda series before that era and i love both those games

and people raved about both those games when they first came out dont be so presumptuous

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Breath of the wild changes things though. Its massively successful and we can no longer go with old zelda characters. We will get a different link. Ganondorf and zelda cry for a redesign as well. Sidon can represent zoras or urbosa can represent gerudos since those are great oneshots and zora-gerudo are recurrent races in zelda games.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I think that Midna's Final Smash should be Twili Midna (True Form). Fused Shadow seems too... evil for it to be her Final Smash. Her returning to her True Form makes more sense in my mind. Plus, Twili Midna would still be more powerful than Imp Midna.

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Apparantly sheik has little fanbase.. she is soo fun and glorious in smash though ^^

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I don't know, I'm the odd one out that thinks that the Zelda roster is fine as is, with the adjustments needed being giving Ganondorf and Toon Link their own unique movesets.

I find it odd for one-off Zelda characters to be added, but can't deny that Sheik is a thing and I still find that odd. I can't help but think it might be because Ocarina of Time was so phenomenally iconic. I say that any one-off characters would be more odd at this point. Especially adding just one of the Champions from BoTW? That would be so weird.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I don't know, I'm the odd one out that thinks that the Zelda roster is fine as is, with the adjustments needed being giving Ganondorf and Toon Link their own unique movesets.

I find it odd for one-off Zelda characters to be added, but can't deny that Sheik is a thing and I still find that odd. I can't help but think it might be because Ocarina of Time was so phenomenally iconic. I say that any one-off characters would be more odd at this point. Especially adding just one of the Champions from BoTW? That would be so weird.
Out of curiosity, would you be ok with non-one-off characters like Impa, Skull Kid, and Tingle being added?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

This is basically my exact thought process. Except for Shiek. I do find her inclusion justified since LoZ always has a one time companion for Link and I find Shiek's inclusion to represent that. She's the most iconic of Link's companion's (that isn't a fairy) since she's from one of the most influential and popular games out there and so I feel more one-offs are completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
This is basically my exact thought process. Except for Shiek. I do find her inclusion justified since LoZ always has a one time companion for Link and I find Shiek's inclusion to represent that. She's the most iconic of Link's companion's (that isn't a fairy) since she's from one of the most influential and popular games out there and so I feel more one-offs are completely unnecessary.
The problem with Sheik is that a lot of fans consider her characterization underwhelming in hindsight. She's nothing more than a textbox that teaches the warp songs, and her only action moment was fighting Bongo Bongo, which itself was offscreen. Plus, she only appeared in one game.

If anything, Tetra is at least equal with Sheik. Even if WW is nowhere near as influential as OoT, her character is more fondly remembered, plus she appeared in one more game after WW and was referenced in yet another.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Out of curiosity, would you be ok with non-one-off characters like Impa, Skull Kid, and Tingle being added?
I don't know about Impa. I don't remember her very well.

Skull Kid? I imagine the Skull Kid that people want is the one from Majora's Mask, which is a one-off. Otherwise, Skull Kids are insignificant enemies that have appeared in only a few Zelda games that I can even remember.

Tingle? We don't talk about Tingle.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

Skull Kid? I imagine the Skull Kid that people want is the one from Majora's Mask, which is a one-off. Otherwise, Skull Kids are insignificant enemies that have appeared in only a few Zelda games that I can even remember.

You shut your ***** mouth. Skull Kid has all kinds of tricks up his scarecrow sleeves.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You shut your ***** mouth. Skull Kid has all kinds of tricks up his scarecrow sleeves.
Well, he can take from Majora's laser eyes, and I'll be generous enough to include his puppets to create a composite Skull Kid.

What else does he have?

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Well, he can take from Majora's laser eyes, and I'll be generous enough to include his puppets to create a composite Skull Kid.

What else does he have?
Well, I once had the idea that he could use the ocarina of time with all of its different songs. For example, his up special could be the song of soaring and his down special could be the song of healing. His neutral special could easily be Tatl and Tael attacking the opponent, and his side special could either be his needle attack from OoT or, like you said, the laser eyes. That, plus the whole puppet creation thing as well as the moon crashing in his final smash, plus tons of other stuff that could be used, and it's really easy to see how well Skull Kid could work as a fighter.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well its believed that the skull kid in majora's mask was the one you play saria's song to in oot and also the one in tp but theres nothing to say that for certain

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

What else does he have?
Shooting needles from his flute, summoning marionettes, teleporting/going invisible, swinging a lantern (could work like swinging Link's lantern in TP), distractions with two fairies, etc.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
What exactly do you mean by "one shot characters" I don't know all these smash terms yet xD
A character who has only been in one main-series game. Like Midna was only in Twilight Princess, and the Champions haven’t been in any games outside of BotW.

Some characters like Skull Kid are basically one-shots because the main version people want are from a single game and they’ve made only cameos in others

Top Bottom