• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you want/expect one-shot Zelda characters? (Midna, Ghirahim, Champions, etc.)

Topic

• I want one-shot Zelda characters, but don't expect them

Votes: 118 65.9%
  • I expect one-shot Zelda characters, but don't want them

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I want and expect one-shot Zelda characters

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I neither want nor expect one-shot Zelda characters

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I don't care

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Actually Eliwood would need to be an Ike echo since Durandal is freaking ginormous. Eliwood can barely lift the damn thing.
Who said I had Durandal as his default weapon in mind? Eliwood as Roy’s Echo Fighter would work just fine. Rapier as his default weapon and Durandal for his Final Smash. Eliwood would get tipper and/or faster attacks to make up for the weaker weapon.

As for Tingle, it doesn’t really matter if he wasn’t a combatant “in canon”. That stopped being an excuse over 20 years ago.

Waluigi Waluigi ...he’s only made of memes. Memes are his nourishment. If only he could be in an actual main Wario or Mario game...

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
How did Groose not get in there?
I said the same thing about Vaati, especially since he's one of the few recurring bosses in the series. They pretty much had all the other main Skyward Sword characters in Hyrule Warriors, Groose was the only important one left. Perhaps they just had a hard time coming up with moves for him outside of his catapult. I know it's a poor excuse but still.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
She's an actual one-shot. Also, she's too tall to fit on Zelda's skeleton to be an echo.

Do spinoffs alone make Waluigi worthy enough to be playable in Smash?
As much as I love waluigi, almost every Hyrule warriors character is from a main game originally unlike waluigi

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Actually Eliwood would need to be an Ike echo since Durandal is freaking ginormous. Eliwood can barely lift the damn thing.

Anyway... my thoughts on the minor recurring characters still stand:
  • Impa is too inconsistent to be a Sheik replacement or echo.
  • Tingle is not a fighter in canon.
  • Vaati's sorcerer form is effectively a one-shot. Also, giving eyed batcloud Vaati the Ridley redesign treatment wouldn't work.
  • Skull Kid's Majora's Mask form is also effectively a one-shot.
Impa too inconsistent? Then explain Ganon. He also isn't consistent but they found ways to add him still.

Skyward Sword Impa would make a fine ass Echo for Sheik. She even has potential to be a semi-clone easily.

Meanwhile there's Hyrule Warriors Impa who would basically be fully unique but draw assets from Ike, Cloud and maybe Sheik and possibly Greninja.

Impa is easily the most likely Zelda newcomer out there. However, I've grown to appriciate Urbosa a lot as well so I'd honestly love her entry as well. Same with Skull Kid, who has fan favoritism working in his favor as well as Young Link and the Great Bay stage returning.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
A just want a non human, so know and urbosa are lower priority for that reason
Gorons are in literally every 3d Zelda

And the zora only missed skyward sword (their was the ghost in windwaker)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I've wanted Midna atop Wolf Link since before Brawl released. It'd be an entirely unique move set with a unique character model, and I'm one of the oddballs whose favorite Zelda is Twilight Princess.

Since Midna's an AT once again, this won't happen. But hey. I still want it.

Also:
They made Daisy worthy.
She first appeared in Super Mario Land in 1989. She's been a roster-filler for every Mario spinoff like Waluigi, yes, but she has a longer history of doing so and a "canonical" appearance as the princess of Sarasaland just short of thirty years ago. Waluigi's first appearance was on the N64 in Mario Tennis.

The main difference that led to Daisy getting in over Waluigi though, if we're all being honest, is that she has identical proportions to Peach. Waluigi can't work as an "echo character" because he's so lanky and odd. While Daisy should have received a moveset more catering to her tomboy side and uniqueness compared to Peach, she was easy enough to include as a clone that she got in. Waluigi has a cult following, but he's just not as simple to make.

Last edited:

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I think that Impa is a boring newcomer. Is there something unique that she can bring? I played Hyrule Warriors, and her fighting style didn't seem like anything special. When people are rooting for her as an echo or semi-clone, that says something about how interesting she can be (in my opinion). I'm legit curious.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think that Impa is a boring newcomer. Is there something unique that she can bring? I played Hyrule Warriors, and her fighting style didn't seem like anything special. When people are rooting for her as an echo or semi-clone, that says something about how interesting she can be (in my opinion). I'm legit curious.
There's lots she could bring. But yes at this point her being a Echo seems the most likely choice. And it doesn't have to be bad, cause there where more characters who moved up from their clone status to something far more unique. Ganondorf being a great example.

Hyrule Warriors Impa combined agility with a weapon that typically has great reach and power. Her jumps, speed and overall attack speed would for example be far better than those of Ike and Cloud, but with it's perks of having similar lag, thus being a character that basically defends by being on the offensive. The Naginata offers a way different playstyle of course, but it's less likely that they'd go for that.

Impa is also more magical based than Sheik is, and would potentially offer a playstyle that lies much in between Zelda and Sheik. I say potentially, because her Skyward Sword incarnation honestly makes a good, fitting Echo. However Impa there also shows unique abilities on her own, as the barrier she used to protect Zelda with and a magical orb attack.

Even as a Echo there's ways to make her different. Take the Neutral B for example. She could throw a singular Kunai instead of multiple Needles. That'd be unique already. Instead of the Burst Grenade, Impa could use the Deku Nut which has a stunning effect on enemies, or a magical attack with a similar animation yet different properties. Bouncing Fish could also be tweaked to be more of a warping / teleporting attack much like Meta Knight's Down B, or Greninja's Shadow Sneak but with the animation of Bouncing Fish. They could also make it more of a charge up attack by holding in B.

Besides, even as a Echo, Impa could be less speed based than Sheik, and could rely more on power than pure speed. Such a change would really change up the playstyle. Think how Melee Ganondorf and Melee Captain Falcon are marginally different because of this for example. I don't expect SUCH huge changes in stats, but it's a great example nonetheless.

If you think Echoes are boring, don't complain to me but Sakurai. He's gonna add them regardless of your opinion, like how he added lots of characters that I innitially disliked because of my opinion. Echoes still offer another unique take on a excistant character, and with just the right amount of tweaks, such a character would still create a total different playstyle. Which is why am happy for Daisy fans that she's in the game, despite not wanting Daisy in the game myself.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
There's lots she could bring. But yes at this point her being a Echo seems the most likely choice. And it doesn't have to be bad, cause there where more characters who moved up from their clone status to something far more unique. Ganondorf being a great example.

Hyrule Warriors Impa combined agility with a weapon that typically has great reach and power. Her jumps, speed and overall attack speed would for example be far better than those of Ike and Cloud, but with it's perks of having similar lag, thus being a character that basically defends by being on the offensive. The Naginata offers a way different playstyle of course, but it's less likely that they'd go for that.

Impa is also more magical based than Sheik is, and would potentially offer a playstyle that lies much in between Zelda and Sheik. I say potentially, because her Skyward Sword incarnation honestly makes a good, fitting Echo. However Impa there also shows unique abilities on her own, as the barrier she used to protect Zelda with and a magical orb attack.

Even as a Echo there's ways to make her different. Take the Neutral B for example. She could throw a singular Kunai instead of multiple Needles. That'd be unique already. Instead of the Burst Grenade, Impa could use the Deku Nut which has a stunning effect on enemies, or a magical attack with a similar animation yet different properties. Bouncing Fish could also be tweaked to be more of a warping / teleporting attack much like Meta Knight's Down B, or Greninja's Shadow Sneak but with the animation of Bouncing Fish. They could also make it more of a charge up attack by holding in B.

Besides, even as a Echo, Impa could be less speed based than Sheik, and could rely more on power than pure speed. Such a change would really change up the playstyle. Think how Melee Ganondorf and Melee Captain Falcon are marginally different because of this for example. I don't expect SUCH huge changes in stats, but it's a great example nonetheless.

If you think Echoes are boring, don't complain to me but Sakurai. He's gonna add them regardless of your opinion, like how he added lots of characters that I innitially disliked because of my opinion. Echoes still offer another unique take on a excistant character, and with just the right amount of tweaks, such a character would still create a total different playstyle. Which is why am happy for Daisy fans that she's in the game, despite not wanting Daisy in the game myself.
I didn’t mean that echoes are a bad/boring thing to have. I said that Impa herself is a boring pick as a unique newcomer (of course, in my opinion). Regardless, your post brought up a lot of good ideas. I like your point about the magical abilities. I could just be biased towards the one-shot villians, but whatever. With Sakurai, anything is possible.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Honestly the fact that Skull Kid has not turned up yet despite the fact Midna and Ghirahim have does make me put some merit into Skull Kid being in. However, I still am not confident in him being in and I feel he will ultimately be an assist again.

Still not expecting newcomers that are one timers overall.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I didn’t mean that echoes are a bad/boring thing to have. I said that Impa herself is a boring pick as a unique newcomer (of course, in my opinion). Regardless, your post brought up a lot of good ideas. I like your point about the magical abilities. I could just be biased towards the one-shot villians, but whatever. With Sakurai, anything is possible.
Honestly, the entire reason for wanting Impa to be in is so that Sheik can be out. Both people who are pro-one-shots and anti-one-shots see Sheik's existence in Smash as unfair because she's the only Zelda one-shot in the whole series and an artifact from before the Brawl-and-onward characters started being meticulously faithful to each series' canon.

And I have to say, either they should replace Sheik with Impa or include more one-shots. Otherwise she's just out-of-place.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly, the entire reason for wanting Impa to be in is so that Sheik can be out. Both people who are pro-one-shots and anti-one-shots see Sheik's existence in Smash as unfair because she's the only Zelda one-shot in the whole series and an artifact from before the Brawl-and-onward characters started being meticulously faithful to each series' canon.

And I have to say, either they should replace Sheik with Impa or include more one-shots. Otherwise she's just out-of-place.
That's honestly how I started the Impa support yeah. But it lead to very negative reactions. Veterans seem beloved. And while I still think Sheik cheated her way into the mainstay roster, all veterans are back now anyway. I also still think it's a bad idea to overglorify her with a separate character spot, but I really don't expect another Zelda one-shot because of her.

She's just very lucky to have made it into Melee, otherwise she wouldn't ever be selected. Much the same for C.Falcon, Ness and Jigglypuff in N64's Smash, and well.. probably some more.

At this point I just want Impa in, and if she becomes very popular as a Echo, she's more likely to inherrit the moveset of Sheik in case Smash reboots and cuts down drastically in it's roster size. The chance is pretty damn slim that Sheik is gonna return to the mainline Zelda games, and pretty damn big that Impa is gonna be a mainstay, be it as a elder or young warrior.

Anyway, am a big enough Zelda fan to appriciate most newcomers. I just want Impa more, that's all.

Quillion

Smash Hero
That's honestly how I started the Impa support yeah. But it lead to very negative reactions. Veterans seem beloved. And while I still think Sheik cheated her way into the mainstay roster, all veterans are back now anyway. I also still think it's a bad idea to overglorify her with a separate character spot, but I really don't expect another Zelda one-shot because of her.

She's just very lucky to have made it into Melee, otherwise she wouldn't ever be selected. Much the same for C.Falcon, Ness and Jigglypuff in N64's Smash, and well.. probably some more.
Well, if Sheik absolutely has to stay (which I understand; she's one of the most competitively popular speedsters in the series), then they should put in more one-shots.

At this point I just want Impa in, and if she becomes very popular as a Echo, she's more likely to inherrit the moveset of Sheik in case Smash reboots and cuts down drastically in it's roster size. The chance is pretty damn slim that Sheik is gonna return to the mainline Zelda games, and pretty damn big that Impa is gonna be a mainstay, be it as a elder or young warrior.
Well, I do think that they will soft-reboot most if not all of the characters in the next game since Ultimate is likely Sakurai's farewell from Smash and it will be handed off to someone else.

In that sense, Impa is a good choice should that happen.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Princess Ruto was in Hyrule warriors making her not a one off pls sakuria
Is this a joke? If it isn't, a spinoff suddenly doesn't make them a recurring staple character.

Anyone appreciate the irony of Fi of all people not being a one shot?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Now that Midna and Ghirahim are dunzo, it looks like the only other notable one-shots left are Skull Kid and the Champs. And now that Tingle is presumably disconfirmed, the only notable recurring characters left are Impa and Toon Zelda/Tetra.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So who is considered the current front-runner for Zelda newcomer right now? Because I feel like I've entered a world of bliss where Skull Kid has actually snuck in front of Impa as the front-runner! (echoes aside)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So who is considered the current front-runner for Zelda newcomer right now? Because I feel like I've entered a world of bliss where Skull Kid has actually snuck in front of Impa as the front-runner! (echoes aside)
Honestly, I don't think there's a clear front-runner.

Impa - recurring
Skull Kid - popularity
Toon Zelda - obvious clone material and previously considered
Champions - relevancy

Any of these guys could get in Smash and it would probably make sense to us.

However, as much as it hurts to say this, if I had to guess which of the four is the least likely, I'd say Skull Kid, if only because he already has an established role in Smash as an AT. His fellow Zelda companions, Tingle, Midna, and Ghirahim, have already been disconfirmed, and seeing how he's the only AT who hasn't met the same fate yet, I feel like it would be best for us to play the waiting game and not put too much stock into his current absence.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
The problem with Skull Kid is that people are aiming for specifically the Majora's Mask version. The one in OoT who learns Saria's Song is the same character, but is in an incredibly minor role, and the one in TP is not confirmed to be the same.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
There are many one shot characters that are possible. Ralph, Ricky, from Oracle of Ages and Season, Marin and Crazy Tracy from Links Awakening, Agahnim from Link to the Past. Zill from Wind Waker.

But if there is a single one shot character that deserves to be in Smash its...

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Now that Midna and Ghirahim are dunzo, it looks like the only other notable one-shots left are Skull Kid and the Champs. And now that Tingle is presumably disconfirmed, the only notable recurring characters left are Impa and Toon Zelda/Tetra.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
Pig ganon

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I think Impa and Skull Kid both have pretty good chances. Impa as an echo, and Skull Kid as a newcomer. The Skull Kid AT not appearing yet is suspicious, and it's crazy that LoZ hasn't gotten a newcomer yet that wasn't a variation of Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf. Probably not both though.

Personally, I'd love Zant - because I love the character, and because his scimitars would be unique - but I know that's a pipe dream.

I dunno about the champions though. None seem more important than the others. Maybe Mipha. But probably not. It would've been cool to have their powers be in Link's move set, or even just final smash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
We have 3 links
Who are all based around the same base moveset.
This may sound silly, but I want a FOURTH Link. One who has the old bombs, the Clawshot/Hookshot, and left-handedness. He would have both the Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time models as alts, both with the requisite voices. They can even throw in a Skyward Sword Link while they're at it.

BotW Link is just not MY Link, you get me? I want options.

Quillion

Smash Hero
If we get another link it should be a non clone zora or goron link
Why not the old Link? Ultimate's engine is built to easily receive all the models and animations of Smash 4, and they almost certainly have the Smash 4 model, animations, and coding lying around somewhere.

TP Link is practically developed already. The most they have to do is to update OoT Link and maybe add SS Link.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I know I have no important official news updates, but I need to ask something:

When did Skull Kid get so popular? Did a series of leaks suddenly cause an upswing in support? Are there rumors that Majora's Mask will get an HD remaster of the 3DS version?

I can understand Hilda, since she has Echo potential (even though I stand by that she's scraping the bottom of the barrel), but this demand for Skull Kid seems mistimed.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
If there really is a new Zelda newcomer, the only ones I could see happening are Skull Kid and maaaaybe Vaati. Majora's Mask is a really iconic Zelda game and Vaati could represent Four Swords. Just watched that papageno's video, and I think he sums it up pretty nicely. Echoes are another story, I'm slightly positive that we may see an Impa echo.

And about the Champions, I really don't see it. They would have to make 4 characters really, and how would they be handled? All echoes of each other? 4 separate slots? Nah. And aside from recency, they are not that important to the Zelda franchise as a whole imo like the others we're talking about.

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
With the Dorf’s Final Smash I think it’s safe to say we’re not getting Pig Ganon.
Such a shame as it makes total sense.:
  • Link > Young/Toon
  • Zelda > Sheik
  • Ganondorf > Ganon
He'd be my first choice as a new Zelda rep as I feel like the earliest Zelda games aren't really represented (I'd also love to see at least one Link using more of the magic artifacts from those games). Other than that I see Skullkid as the most likely one-shot, just owing to his potential playstyle and the iconic nature of his design over someone like Vaati.

Vaati would make a great boss however, or an assist trophy alongside the champions.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I still think Tetra has the most potential on the grounds of not being a one-shot, plus she's technically an iteration of Zelda, meaning that she can comfortably stand alongside Sheik.

I also think Skull Kid is a silly leak, but we'll see where this goes.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Reminder that Impa and Tingle aren't one shot characters as they have multiple incarnations. In their case it'd be non-triforce holder Zelda characters.

Vaati isn't technically one either in that he's appeared in multiple games but it's all the same guy so that'd be splitting hairs.

Top Bottom