• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you want/expect one-shot Zelda characters? (Midna, Ghirahim, Champions, etc.)

Topic

• I want one-shot Zelda characters, but don't expect them

Votes: 118 65.9%
  • I expect one-shot Zelda characters, but don't want them

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I want and expect one-shot Zelda characters

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I neither want nor expect one-shot Zelda characters

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I don't care

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

So on a scale of 1 to 10, how well do you think this song would fit a Zelda game?

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
I'm all aboard for Vaati!
I'm planning to go threw a few characters a day

Repeat some eventually

When the account gets big enouph coordinate other people to respectfully make noise of what Zelda character they want for dlc

If theirs a ballot 2 for a season 2 of dlc coordinate for that.

Try and do the k rool campaign

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'm planning to go threw a few characters a day

Repeat some eventually

When the account gets big enouph coordinate other people to respectfully make noise of what Zelda character they want for dlc

If theirs a ballot 2 for a season 2 of dlc coordinate for that.

Try and do the k rool campaign
You do that. I mainly care about the windy boi.

Quillion

Smash Hero
x-post from Skull Kid thread:

I find it rather commendable that demand for Skull Kid has outlasted that of the other one-shots like Ghirahim, Midna, the Champions, and Tetra. And that is after Skull Kid was resigned to Assist Trophy-hood.

So tell me guys, what is it that puts Skull Kid head and shoulders above the other one-shots? I know part of it is how TP and SS is the collective dark age of the 3D games and the Champions are underwhelming characters. Is there any other reason more than that?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
x-post from Skull Kid thread:

I find it rather commendable that demand for Skull Kid has outlasted that of the other one-shots like Ghirahim, Midna, the Champions, and Tetra. And that is after Skull Kid was resigned to Assist Trophy-hood.

So tell me guys, what is it that puts Skull Kid head and shoulders above the other one-shots? I know part of it is how TP and SS is the collective dark age of the 3D games and the Champions are underwhelming characters. Is there any other reason more than that?
idk I just like Skull Kid's design and character, being a forest imp, and gaining magic powers after putting on a possessed mask that also has a cool design. He has a nice personality too imo.

Quillion

Smash Hero
idk I just like Skull Kid's design and character, being a forest imp, and gaining magic powers after putting on a possessed mask that also has a cool design. He has a nice personality too imo.
I guess it also helps that Skull Kid is arguably the last good non-Ganon villain before the series' villains generally got pretty weak. Zant and Ghirahim are morons that suffer from severe Bond Villain Stupidity. Demise comes out of nowhere, has a fight, and leaves just as quick as he came. Vaati is a generic evil sorcerer that grew out of a more underwhelming eyeball cloud. Even Ganon himself suffered in TP, where he does crap-all, and BotW, where he's a mindless hurricane of evil.

Majora and Skull Kid don't waste time and just get things done quick and decisively. I suppose Yuga is a diamond in the rough since he has OoT Ganondorf's manipulativeness, but he doesn't have nearly as much star power.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
But technically Skull Kid isn't one shot.

Anyway, I'd love to see some characters with only one appearance in Smash. Midna comes to mind first, since she was the most memorable to be. In a very close second is Urbosa, but I feel like Sakurai would add Mipha before Urbosa since, y'know, Mipha was more important and had exponentially worse voice acting.

But can we just all agree that Urbosa=Revali>>>Daruk>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mipha

Edit: And somehow I forgot Ghirahim lol. I would much rather Ghirahim than Demise for someone from SS, and I feel like Ghirahim is a pretty unconventional take on a villain (for the Zelda franchise).

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not giving up on the one-shots, particularly the Champions. I don't know if Spirits should count as deconfirmations, but out of all the Zelda one-shots, the Champs would be the easiest to work around. Virtually every other option is an AT, making me think there was sadly never any serious consideration for them to begin with.

But can we just all agree that Urbosa=Revali>>>Daruk>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mipha.
Unless you're referring to voice acting, Mipha>Revali>Urbosa>Daruk.

If you are referring to voice acting, Revali>Urbosa>Daruk>Mipha.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
But technically Skull Kid isn't one shot.

Anyway, I'd love to see some characters with only one appearance in Smash. Midna comes to mind first, since she was the most memorable to be. In a very close second is Urbosa, but I feel like Sakurai would add Mipha before Urbosa since, y'know, Mipha was more important and had exponentially worse voice acting.

But can we just all agree that Urbosa=Revali>>>Daruk>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mipha

Edit: And somehow I forgot Ghirahim lol. I would much rather Ghirahim than Demise for someone from SS, and I feel like Ghirahim is a pretty unconventional take on a villain (for the Zelda franchise).
I'm sorry, are you me?

I completely agree with your assessment. I love Midna and Urbosa both, and I'd 100% be fine with either of them first. Skull Kid's great, but I like him more for his game than as an actual character. Ghirahim's fun, but I don't know him outside of Hyrule Warriors (still a great character there, though)

Speaking of Hyrule Warriors: HW version of Molgera >>>>>>>>>>>>> Smash's. I'd even take normal Molgera over the new Smash one. But once I heard it the first time in HW, I had to stop for a sec to rock out.

But I completely agree with your analysis on the champions.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Unless you're referring to voice acting, Mipha>Revali>Urbosa>Daruk.

If you are referring to voice acting, Revali>Urbosa>Daruk>Mipha.
I found Mipha to be tremendously boring and lackluster, and I liked Sidon and even Muzu better.

Revali's arrogance and Urbosa's general badassery outclassed Mipha easily imo, and even Daruk, whose personality I found to be obnoxious, I liked better than Mipha.

Quillion

Smash Hero
And somehow I forgot Ghirahim lol. I would much rather Ghirahim than Demise for someone from SS, and I feel like Ghirahim is a pretty unconventional take on a villain (for the Zelda franchise).
But again, Ghirahim's a total "oh I'll let you live" moron who originates from the Zelda series' slump alongside Midna. Does he really deserve to be in Smash on this?

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
But again, Ghirahim's a total "oh I'll let you live" moron who originates from the Zelda series' slump alongside Midna. Does he really deserve to be in Smash on this?
But is that not a matter of opinion? Skyward Sword is far from the best game, but I definitely wouldn’t call it the worst, especially narratively. I do agree with you as far as the “I’ll let you live” part, but unlike Ganon, he’s not just evil for the sake of being evil. He’s manic and motivated and I’d go so far as to say outclasses Ganon in certain aspects.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, because Ghirahim’s cool and Skyward Sword is still a pretty great game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i would say all zelda characters deserve to be in smash, some far more than some of the boring crop weve gotten

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I think Ravio is a perfect candidate for Smash as a character who has the potential for a more recurring role as a shopkeeper in future games which is something Zelda games have done before (i.e. Tingle/Beetle) but also one with actual character development and personality. Not to mention he's got a way better look than Tingle and could fight using items we haven't yet seen in Smash (elemental rods and hammer).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I guess it also helps that Skull Kid is arguably the last good non-Ganon villain before the series' villains generally got pretty weak. Zant and Ghirahim are morons that suffer from severe Bond Villain Stupidity. Demise comes out of nowhere, has a fight, and leaves just as quick as he came. Vaati is a generic evil sorcerer that grew out of a more underwhelming eyeball cloud. Even Ganon himself suffered in TP, where he does crap-all, and BotW, where he's a mindless hurricane of evil.

Majora and Skull Kid don't waste time and just get things done quick and decisively. I suppose Yuga is a diamond in the rough since he has OoT Ganondorf's manipulativeness, but he doesn't have nearly as much star power.
To be honest, I think Majora not Skull Kid, was a more evil villain than Ganondorf and a better one too. I think Majora is part of the reason why Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game. The way he setup the disasters in Termina was so evil, Majora is like Satan himself.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
To be honest, I think Majora not Skull Kid, was a more evil villain than Ganondorf and a better one too. I think Majora is part of the reason why Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game. The way he setup the disasters in Termina was so evil, Majora is like Satan himself.
I still personally prefer OoT Ganon since he was calculating and manipulative. They're both great villains though, and Zant and Ghirahim are just poor imitations of their good qualities.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly, if there's gonna be a Breath of the Wild prequel, I think a Champion and possibly Impa become very likely all of a sudden.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think Ravio is a perfect candidate for Smash as a character who has the potential for a more recurring role as a shopkeeper in future games which is something Zelda games have done before (i.e. Tingle/Beetle) but also one with actual character development and personality. Not to mention he's got a way better look than Tingle and could fight using items we haven't yet seen in Smash (elemental rods and hammer).
nah they should give him a spin off

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ravio is pretty tied to Lorule though, and that will probably stay a unique fixture of ALBW.

Classic Link has a better shot of bringing in those unique tools, really.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Ravio is pretty tied to Lorule though, and that will probably stay a unique fixture of ALBW.

Classic Link has a better shot of bringing in those unique tools, really.
But that is yet another Link, Ravio is unique. And Tingle was tied to OoT due to his whole gimmick of being a kokiri and finding a fairy but he shows up in other games despite kokiri changing away from their human appearance.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But that is yet another Link, Ravio is unique. And Tingle was tied to OoT due to his whole gimmick of being a kokiri and finding a fairy but he shows up in other games despite kokiri changing away from their human appearance.
To be fair
Ravio is another Link as well.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
To be fair
Ravio is another Link as well.
Don't do this to me GG, I thought about putting that in my post but I frankly am tired of having to add that to every post I make about Ravio lol.

EDIT: especially when I know I'm going to get a bunch of it tomorrow for RTC

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Don't do this to me GG, I thought about putting that in my post but I frankly am tired of having to add that to every post I make about Ravio lol.

EDIT: especially when I know I'm going to get a bunch of it tomorrow for RTC
Then I’ll await tomorrow’s post.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Tingle was never at any point in any game stated to be a Kokiri.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I know it's another Link, but let's be real, Classic Link is more realistic than any of the one-shots. And hey, he is the last significantly different design of Link currently not in Smash.

Though failing that, I'd also like "Classic Link" to refer to an echo of Link based on both TP and OoT Link with the Smash 4 animations.

Also, Tingle was not in OoT.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I know it's another Link, but let's be real, Classic Link is more realistic than any of the one-shots. And hey, he is the last significantly different design of Link currently not in Smash.

Though failing that, I'd also like "Classic Link" to refer to an echo of Link based on both TP and OoT Link with the Smash 4 animations.

Also, Tingle was not in OoT.
Part of the title was "want", so I think it's fine not to have realistic expectations.

Also I seriously doubt Nintendo would add Classic Link before any of the people we just mentioned. What makes you think he's so likely?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Part of the title was "want", so I think it's fine not to have realistic expectations.

Also I seriously doubt Nintendo would add Classic Link before any of the people we just mentioned. What makes you think he's so likely?
Let's go through what I feel is the four most important criteria for consideration: Popularity, Prominence, Relevance, and Uniqueness.

Popularity: He's a Link, that goes without saying. May not be as popular as his other designs, but he's still the Zelda protagonist.

Prominence: Of all the (traditional) 2D games, the only one he doesn't star in is Minish Cap. His general design is the most recurring one in the series, edging out Toon Link by one game.

Relevance: His design got a big revival in A Link Between Worlds. It has also gotten non-canon references in both Hyrule Warriors and Breath of the Wild (twice!).

Uniqueness: While he still needs to be a swordfighter first and foremost, the Classic Link games are host to a unique set of tools that are rarely-if-ever seen in the 3D games. The Fire and Ice Rods, the Pegasus Boots, the Tornado Rod, the magic seeds, the Cane of Somaria, the list goes on. There's more than enough things to set him apart from the other Links.

Based on this, I'd say Classic Link, if not likely, has a shot.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Let's go through what I feel is the four most important criteria for consideration: Popularity, Prominence, Relevance, and Uniqueness.

Popularity: He's a Link, that goes without saying. May not be as popular as his other designs, but he's still the Zelda protagonist.

Prominence: Of all the (traditional) 2D games, the only one he doesn't star in is Minish Cap. His general design is the most recurring one in the series, edging out Toon Link by one game.

Relevance: His design got a big revival in A Link Between Worlds. It has also gotten non-canon references in both Hyrule Warriors and Breath of the Wild (twice!).

Uniqueness: While he still needs to be a swordfighter first and foremost, the Classic Link games are host to a unique set of tools that are rarely-if-ever seen in the 3D games. The Fire and Ice Rods, the Pegasus Boots, the Tornado Rod, the magic seeds, the Cane of Somaria, the list goes on. There's more than enough things to set him apart from the other Links.

Based on this, I'd say Classic Link, if not likely, has a shot.
I'll break down my points accordingly:

Popularity - Take into consideration that other Zelda fans would be livid if yet another link was put into the game before other fan favorites. Imagine the backlash of having 4 Links before Midna, Impa, or Skull Kid. It's a quick way to breed hostility.

Prominence - He's undoubtedly been in many games, but that doesn't secure a spot, otherwise Ganon and Impa would be in the game already.

Relevance - Costumes in other games isn't really a bragging right, though. It's just homage to the character, not really relevance. As for A Link Between Worlds, I guess that point stands, but in the face of Breath of the Wild, I doubt Nintendo wants to spend too much time reminiscing on games that were critically outclassed by a more relevant entry.

Uniqueness - Probably the thing that ties it all together is this. Young Link and Toon Link could have wielded those exact same weapons and yet, they're nowhere to be found. Even Ganondorf, someone with tremendous potential based on his games, is still very much influenced by Captain Falcon. Other examples of Nintendo ignoring moveset potential include Ness and Lucas (Ness's specials are mostly his party member's moves only, and Lucas doesn't actually learn a single one of his Smash specials in Mother 3), Roy (has absolutely to fight so similarly to Marth; he has a bow, fights acrobatically in The Binding Blade, etc.), and Wario (almost nothing remotely parallels WarioWare and is instead fabricated based on his personality).

Last but not least, Nintendo is taking a very different approach when it comes to adding characters than they did in Melee and Brawl. Clone character additions like the ones we saw in Melee and Brawl aren't really as prevalent, and it's nowhere near the level of Pikachu/Pichu, Zelda/Sheik, and Young Link/Toon Link. The echo fighters are entirely separate people this time around.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'll break down my points accordingly:

Popularity - Take into consideration that other Zelda fans would be livid if yet another link was put into the game before other fan favorites. Imagine the backlash of having 4 Links before Midna, Impa, or Skull Kid. It's a quick way to breed hostility.
You put too much emphasis on relative popularity. Classic Link is very much popular in his own right, and he also doesn't have the barrier of being a one-shot that everyone else does.

Prominence - He's undoubtedly been in many games, but that doesn't secure a spot, otherwise Ganon and Impa would be in the game already.
Ganon is in the game as Ganondorf; they are the same guy. Impa is too inconsistent to encompass into one portrayal.

Relevance - Costumes in other games isn't really a bragging right, though. It's just homage to the character, not really relevance. As for A Link Between Worlds, I guess that point stands, but in the face of Breath of the Wild, I doubt Nintendo wants to spend too much time reminiscing on games that were critically outclassed by a more relevant entry.
If you will allow some assumptions, Classic Link will absolutely still continue to be a part of Zelda's 2D line given ALBW's success. BotW is not going to suddenly end that line, especially since it can still provide the classic Zelda experience that some miss about BotW.

Uniqueness - Probably the thing that ties it all together is this. Young Link and Toon Link could have wielded those exact same weapons and yet, they're nowhere to be found. Even Ganondorf, someone with tremendous potential based on his games, is still very much influenced by Captain Falcon. Other examples of Nintendo ignoring moveset potential include Ness and Lucas (Ness's specials are mostly his party member's moves only, and Lucas doesn't actually learn a single one of his Smash specials in Mother 3), Roy (has absolutely to fight so similarly to Marth; he has a bow, fights acrobatically in The Binding Blade, etc.), and Wario (almost nothing remotely parallels WarioWare and is instead fabricated based on his personality).

Last but not least, Nintendo is taking a very different approach when it comes to adding characters than they did in Melee and Brawl. Clone character additions like the ones we saw in Melee and Brawl aren't really as prevalent, and it's nowhere near the level of Pikachu/Pichu, Zelda/Sheik, and Young Link/Toon Link. The echo fighters are entirely separate people this time around.
Yeah, but all of those characters are artifacts of before Smash 4 when super-faithfulness to canon wasn't much of a priority. Classic Link doesn't have the restriction of being an artifact and can be held to the standards of newer characters.

finally someone else gets it
Well, I still unironically think OoT Link and TP Link need to be in as a free echo of Link (possibly named "Classic Link"), and no one can change my mind.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ghirahim has the aesthetic and personality for Smash while Skull Kid would just be cool to play as. Even, I would most likely choose Ghirahim over Skull did, I don't know. Skull Kid's move set could be easily uninspiring if anything like HW.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ghirahim has the aesthetic and personality for Smash while Skull Kid would just be cool to play as. Even, I would most likely choose Ghirahim over Skull did, I don't know. Skull Kid's move set could be easily uninspiring if anything like HW.
Ghirahim is a moron who represents the post-WW Dark Age of Zelda that lasted until ALBW.

Skull Kid is a decisive villain who represents the N64 heyday of the series.

The representation of Zelda's golden age alone puts Skull Kid far above Ghirahim (and Midna as well).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think that 'Dark Age of Zelda' thing to be pretty elitist. I think all Zelda is great.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Damn dude, I like Ghirahim.

He's charismatic, flamboyant, and actually does a ton of fun flashy moves unique to him only. He's very much a villain I think Zelda's been missing out on for a long while.

Meanwhile Skull-kid spends all of his time possessed by the relatively flat Majora and doesn't ever even fight.

Granted while on a personal level, I like MM way more than SS, but saying that everything between WW and pre-ALBW is some sort of dark age is pretty damn close-minded, especially whem BotW might have the worst story and dungeons in any Zelda thus far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom