• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you play Stock or Timed???

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Lol dude you scared the crap outta me with that lol, i know it was pretty obvious but i just had to take the oportunity lol.
This thread has been bumped so nicely by me lol.

FangzV

Smash Journeyman
It all depends on the situation. At any time, I want stock. Time is just a nuisance based on how many kills you get and you sit there for hours. Stock is a matter of survival and recovery.
But sometimes I play time and set the timer so the game will end at a specific time. Like when I have dinner in an hour, I set the timer for 60 minutes. The match was fun. The 2.0 damage ratio made it that good.

What....ARE YOU SERIOUS!!
Its whether you play a timed match of melee or Stock with a set amount of lives for each player.
Please tell me you were being sarcastic.
Yeah he probably was.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Stock! Timed just has this ****ing wierd *** scoring system >_>

Luigi player

Smash Master
I prefer stock. Time is just annoying. The other player can always run away if he's better right now. And I don't want that the time is out and such and you're near to KO your opponent. And it's annoying that you always have to hurry :/

Ryo242

Smash Ace
For Brawl? That would mean I'd have to own it first.
I know what I'm doing first (SSE with friend to unlock everybody);
Then, to ensure that people get equal playing time, it'll be timed with items. (especially Smash balls and AT and Pokeballs)

Then it'll be stock matches. 3 or 4

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I usually play 3 stock. Since that was default stock setting and I get used to it.

Time is fun, but more more fun for free for alls then anything else.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Alright, since someone had to go and make a topic about it, I'll say it. I play time.

Why? One, it helps me keep track of time. If I have to be some where in fifteen, thirty minutes I know about how many matches I can play if I know what the time is.

Two, I'm lazy. Sure I could go and change the settings to timed stock, but if I'm crunched for time anyway, I'd rather just jump into a match rather than change the settings.

Three, I don't play with too many serious smashers anymore anyway. The person I play with most right now is my wife, who is still learning some of the ins and outs of smash. If I set to stock with two CPUs/ other players on Free-for-All and she gets killed in the first minute or two, I know she'll be upset. I know this because I would get upset getting killed that quickly in my early career. At least with time, she has the maximum amount of time to develop a strategy and attempt a comeback.

Please note, I'm not saying I hate stock. I am saying however that time works for me and I'm beginnning to see why Nintendo prefers it to stock as well.

iron blade

Smash Ace
Stock, as most everyone's seen from that one video with Snake, in timed matches you can camp the whole time and still win. Besides, in timed matches, all you have to do to win is steal KOs the whole match. You can argue that you can do that in stock matches as well, but if you only have three or four lives instead of unlimited lives for X minutes, it's much less effective.

supermario27mx

Smash Ace
mostly stock either 3 or 5 lives on 5-6 minutes (we like quick matches, items on odd days and no items on even days) but when we think someone got lucky its a 3 minute match @ final destination w/o items

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Stock because time is too easy. All I have to do is get 2 or 3 KO's and focus entirely on evasion to win. I do put time limits on stock to stop my cousin from running away and spamming Marth's FSmash in when the others are eliminated. I remember one hilarious moment when the CPU's were out and I had 4 lives and he had 2 when he picked the Temple. He was waiting for me to come to him and then I saw the time limit. I just walked away and he started chasing me. Time ran out before he could finish his FSmash.

Urb

Smash Journeyman
I have already given my ideas about this topic: I do stock, 3 lives, no items, no time. But recently I have been really into Bonus, because it lets you tell how long you've played AND helps people show their skills. The winner is unknown until the theme music starts. It is so exciting not knowing who is gonna win (unless you actually keep track of how many points you have.)

m00cow007

Smash Rookie
if the majority of people play stock wats up with the forced timed games with" play with anyone" mode online?? Maybe nintendo should have had a poll.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
People who barely know what Smash is play stock. Everyone I know on my floor who plays plays stock. Little kids who can barely figure out what's going on play stock. People who don't care about tournaments, who don't know about tournaments, who don't know anything beyond just the game in their console play stock.

No one plays time. No one.

Lolo_knight

Smash Apprentice
Lately my friends have traded the 3 stock matchs we had for 3 minute timed matchs, 'cus, I'm good on 1v1 but not on FFA, so in stock I just focus on killing one of them first and have no trouble against the other one, in timed I have to deal with both so their chances of winning is better. I PREFFER STOCK I feel like timed is cheap some times they just kill me and avoid me the rest of the match and that sux -.-

HenshinHero

Smash Apprentice
3 stock no time and no items if we're being serious, but sometimes I like to switch it up and play some timed matches, however those are rare days.

SaberPichu

Smash Cadet
I like stock matches. Normally 5 lives (occasionally going higher), once a year I'll be crazy enough and do a 99 stock match.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I've always done 10 stock no time, though occassionally I'll do 5 or 7 stock. Also, when me and my friends go into tournament mode, it's generally agreed upon that 3 is the best, considering the number of players.

Top Bottom