• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you play Stock or Timed???

Arteen

Smash Lord
I play bonus, 1.3x damage, 17 minutes, hammers, Mr Saturns, fans, and bob-ombs only, on low. Anyone who plays differently is doing it wrong.

Usually 3 or 4 stock.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
For some reason I favor timed more in Melee. Probably the same for Brawl.

Actually, Stock is more fun against people, and with Wifi I'll actually get to fight people, so maybe that will change!

S2

Smash Lord
I play TIME, stock can have a victor from luck rather than skill, but with a time limit rather than dying after 3 or 4 deaths
Time is hardly more skill based. If anything, it encourages stalling excessively just to run the clock - which limits strategies. That's assuming were talking 1v1, because in FFA its just as bad due to it encouraging players to run away and only fight when there is a kill to be had.

Stock is the only way to play competitively. Time is good for new players, since they get to play the whole round (thus more practice).

ChrisG683

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChrisG683
4 min timed with 3 or 4 people (items on or off depending on mood)
4 stock in 1v1 duels (items off)

Time is just so much more hectic and fun in FFA, it allows you to play less conservatively and go all out crazy and just have a good ol time (There are WAY more laughs and crazy/awesome moments in time). Sure some of the skill factor is replaced by luck, but being a better player will still get you a higher amount of wins (not to mention having a high kill count at the char select screen is great to brag about :D). With time it helps to level the playing field so everyone enjoys it better. Not to mention when you're having a really bad smash day, a few wins here and there help keep your spirits up. It's definitely better when everyone playing is having fun, rather than just the best person.

Stock in a FFA is pretty ********. It promotes camping, hiding, evasion, cautious/boring fighting, projectile spamming, etc etc. However in duels, stock is the best option of course.

Stamina is fun, but melee doesn't allow you to increase the health :( Luckily that is fixed in brawl!

Magical Samurai

Smash Cadet
I personally only play Stock, as it doesn't really matter how long it takes someone to deal some damage.
I don't have Brawl at the moment, but I'm sure the same will apply that characters can't deal the same amount of damage in the same amount of time. Two minutes, in Melee, is only really enough for a 2-1 result in my cases, which doesn't allow space for careless mistakes and lack of damage, same applies for 5 minutes.
In stock, however, you base score off the result of kills, at any time duration.
I play only 3 Stock and 5 Stock, and with 1v1, these usually last 4-8 minutes.

-Magical Samurai

Niko90

Smash Cadet
4 stock. I hate time limits - they put more emphasis on survival/not dying rather than a good clean stock-fight where anything can happen.

Mule50

Smash Cadet
4 stock unless I accidentally start the game before I change the setting... then I play 2 minute time

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I play stock. Brings out the best in you knowing you could be out of the game for good.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
10 Stock every match all items off except pokeballs and bob-bombs are my kind of style

Top Bottom