• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you play a musical instument?

Pun

Smash Apprentice
I am trying to play electric guitar, but I only got a Kramer, Anyone know any good guitars out there? And I am trying to learn piano. I was really good at violin, but I quit.

Dave the Perspicacious

Smash Journeyman
I play guitar and piano amongst a few other instruments *nods*

For those of you trying to build up speed in your chops, Crimson King is entirely correct! A metronome is a MUST for guitarists, and any musician actually :/

However, aside from only using a metronome, and playing slowly until you build up speed; you must focus on your technique. The secret to playing blindingly fast and "wowing" the crowds, is to eliminate tension in your playing style.

You have to analyse every aspect of your playing, every minute movement you make. Is it effortless? Is there unwanted tension, inhibiting your ability to play faster and more efficiently?

How do you pick? Do you anchor your hand onto the bridge creating tension? Would you be better trying floating hand that allows you to effortlessly pick - although it is far harder to learn?

Is your left hand moving along the neck efficiently? Do you use classical position for those lightning fast legato runs? Do you bring your thumb over the neck to give you perfect intonation in your bends?

As well, as really dropping the speed and focussing your technique, don't forget to enjoy what your playing and when playing for others, don't just recite a piece, perform it!

I am trying to play electric guitar, but I only got a Kramer, Anyone know any good guitars out there? And I am trying to learn piano. I was really good at violin, but I quit.
As far you, when picking any new guitar, always go out and try it. It is the only way you will know if the guitar suits you!

There are hundreds of brands of guitar. It's all about the specifications of the guitar. The wood of the neck, body and fingerboard. The type of machine heads, the type of bridge, the type of neck to body design. The pick-ups and the way they are wired etc.

Everything comes down to personal preference. What style of music do you play? How much are you willing to spend? I know a lot of high spec. guitars, but not too many in the lower - mid range...

Dave

Dave the Perspicacious

Smash Journeyman
Thank you Dave! I will put that into consideration when I will buy a new one!
No problem, what kind of music do you play? Some brands are geared towards certain style of music a bit more.

The Ibanez RG and S series guitars are geared towards metal, and faster music, and are very good for "shredding". Although they are very versatile guitars with the right pick-ups. They are used for a huge amount of different styles.

ESPs are very metal guitars as well, a lot of them coming equipped with high output EMG pick-ups, for a very distorted and heavy tone, although they are capable of nice cleans as is evident in songs like Nothing Else Matters.

Those are very common guitars makes, as well as the likes of Jackson and Gibson etc.

Then there are amazing guitars such as the Ibanez prestiges, Caparisons, Ernie Ball Musicmans, Jacksons, Gibsons etc.

So many, that half of them aren't even occuring to me right now xD

EDIT: I'm really late for uni. I'll be on later xD

Dave

RazeveX

Smash Ace
Dude, in my experience, kramers are built pretty **** well. Solid, too. Don't sucumb to the "fender/gibson is the best" stereotype. My mate has one (a kramer) from decades back. It is the best guitar ive ever seen. It has many sweet mods and a great tone, which is pretty good considering it's been lit on fire numerous times, bashed into the ground, and SIGNED BY STEVE VAI!!

Sorry, i just went into a guitargasm.

So yeah,if you want a new guitar, search everything out there. The best guitar i bought was an ESP, and that was before i even heard of ESP. I got it just because it had everything i wanted.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
i've been playing piano for about 8 years now and my teacher never bothered to teach me music theory. im taking jazz ensemble this year and i realize how useless i am without it >_<

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
I used to play in my town band and there was an old guy that played the oboe in it... and we called him "exploding head boy" because while he played, his entire (bald) head would literally turn shades of purple. One day it's gonna blow.

I play alto & tenor sax, piano, guitar, bass, violin and anything else I can pick up.

RareTruffle

Smash Apprentice
I've played guitar since middle school, and I just started Piano about a year ago.

Really interested in violin too, but those things are pricey! I mean, I spent alot on my guitar, but I have no idea what to look for in a violin.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Pianist (keyboard as well by extension) and Singer (Bass with REALLY extended range).

Learning guitar as well from a friend, hopefully by the end of the year I'll have my own.

OhCripe119

Smash Apprentice
I played saxophone for eight years starting in 5th grade. Three of those years were spent playing the baritone saxophone. I got it just because nobody volunteered and someone had to play it so they pulled a name. Then, of course, it grew on me and I liked it better than alto actually.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I've been teaching myself how to read music for the past week or so, and I'm planning on buying a keyboard and teaching myself the piano. I really missed out on musical instruments as a child, because even though I played some violin and trumpet, my parents never made me stick with it long enough to love it. :( I plan to change that.
I'm with you Tom.

Beamblast

Smash Cadet
I can play piano (quit lessons though) and this is my 5th year of playing trombone

saberhof

Smash Master
the pure influence of rock music for me, and my cousins that taught me all my life how the loved music and they tried to shove it on me and it worked :p they are now pretty **** good =O...

RazeveX

Smash Ace
guitar seems pretty popular
may i ask the guitarists why they were influenced by the guitar?
because we all wanna be big rockstars.

jk, but seriously 90% of my year level picked up guitar for at least a week because of the popularity factor (which, by the way, is truthfully nonexistant). My band and another really good band would have made a whole new year of guitarists...that is, if they actually decided to practice their guitars.

Exospaciac

Smash Rookie
I've been playing bass guitar for six years, and starting in April I am going to be attending Musician's Institute in Hollywood, California.
I guess you could say I play an instrument.
I also own a few guitars and dabble in drums and keys.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
Yes. I've played the Piano as well as the trumpet. I'm about to pick up bass guitar to play with my friend.

Violin is also an option currently.

By the way I am terrible at trumpet and more specifically, piano.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
Bass guitar is in my possession. Any suggestions would be cool.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I've been playing bass guitar for six years, and starting in April I am going to be attending Musician's Institute in Hollywood, California.
I guess you could say I play an instrument.
I also own a few guitars and dabble in drums and keys.
Holy ****, I am going there once I graduate. My guitar teacher is priming me for the school. PM me, I wanted to ask you a few things about how it.

RareTruffle

Smash Apprentice
I started playing guitar in middle school. Mostly self taught, so nothing that special.

I also have an electric organ, which is pretty fun.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm not the only bassoonist? o_o

Aww... now I can't feel so special anymore. :(

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I can't see myself playing one of those orchestral instruments, it just isn't me. I mean a good orchestra sounds awesome but I prefer to play guitar, I guess my influence would be the type of music I listen to.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I can't see myself playing one of those orchestral instruments, it just isn't me. I mean a good orchestra sounds awesome but I prefer to play guitar, I guess my influence would be the type of music I listen to.
And I can't see myself playing a guitar. I've played one before, but it wasn't really my thing...

I still like to listen to some good old classic rock from time to time, though.

Mrs. Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
I play flute, piccolo and trumpet. But I'm sure everyone knows that already because I've posted it in a million threads. Gosh, sometimes it feels like I'm old news. Hahaha maybe because I'm so freaking old!

saberhof

Smash Master
^
"Join Date: Mar 2005"

true =O, i guees everything has been posted....

im getting a new guitar....next year xD hahahha

Epiphone sg white i r exited... =O

Exypnos

Smash Cadet
played drums for a year and took lessons for a year. now i havent played in like over a year. I want to pick em back up later on though

drcossack

Smash Ace
Trombone for 11 years, played Valve trombone in Marching band for two years.

Baritone/Euphonium, but my fingers are clumsy because I've held it less than 5 times.

If I worked on my low range (which is pitiful), Tuba/Bass Trombone. My high range is good - depending on the note, I get 3 octaves; first F Natural/G natural below the staff is my normal low limit. I can't find a decent-sized image of it on Google, but for Trombone players, the Morceau Symphonique is EXCELLENT for building a high range. I had to play it as an audition solo during my Sophomore year of high school and it's the reason why I was able to extend my range to 3 octaves; before that, the highest I could go was the top of the one octave F Major scale. I used to be able to hit the upper G, A, and B consistently before I graduated HS in '04, but I lost the ability to do that once I started college (no time to play/college's Wind Ensemble practices on Wednesday nights from 6-9, and I usually had class)

C
B
A
G
F
E
D
C
B
------------------------------------

Rough representation of the Staff, but yes, Morceau goes THAT high (the C is only found in one spot on Page 2, and you're given the option of that and a lower note.) The very second note in the piece is the G. It's also the first time I played anything with 6 flats.

D13

Smash Ace
I've been playing Piano for 5 years and Trombone for 4 years. I'll continue with both at least until the end of high school.

Top Bottom