• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you play a musical instument?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Okay, I've got the piano in my room now.
Anybody have some advice as to how I should get started?

Like, I figure I'll just watch some of those youtube tutorials, but if anybody has a reccomendation...

<3

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I play guitar, bass, and strumstick and I am pretty good with electronic music (Reason is an awesome program). I also mess around with my mandolin some, but it's weird to get used to, like playing a bass upside down. I have a violin, but I can't do jack with it but make annoying noises yet.

InuSama59

Smash Rookie
I've been playing bass for a few years now. Electric guitar. a little bit of drum/percussion work. and just a little bit of singing(Which needs ALOT of work XD)

JrdnS

Smash Ace
Sheet music is unnecessary if you can play by rote (i.e. hear a tune and reproduce it). Otherwise, yes, start with basic sheet music.

I can't stand sheet music; IMO music was never meant to be read, merely heard.
are you serious? learning to read sheet music is essential. especially for piano.

not only is it useful helping you remember what you just played or wrote, but also some songs cannot be played without it. sure twinkle twinkle and other songs are easy to figure out, but when you get into music with mixed meters and weird accidentals/chords/scales/runs one cannot figure that out by ear. anyone who wants to start writing/playing music should learn sheet music it really helps with music theory. ive been a musician for about 8 or 9 years now and its helped me a lot.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I play piano with no sheet music.
I can't read it, so I go by memory.

And I don't do those 'little kid songs' either.
Currently, I'm tackling Native Faith (ashame I'm going to have to find the keys for most of it on my own; the only part I've got down is....half of the beginning).
Koishi's Theme is a breeze, though I admit, I am doing one part wrong, but it happens over time, and I learn to call it a remix.
Same goes with the fifth part of Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke (there's a part with some chimes that I simply cannot master unless given a larger piano, so I improvise).

PLZ don't check my youtube.
It is NOT up to date with my playing.
Yet.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I think people just now play Guitar Hero and try to call themselves musicians

I use to play the clarinet when I was in middle school

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Well I play a bit of piano/keyboard/what's-that-thing, some VG tunes which I learned when I was bored..

If table doesn't count as an instrument (table drumming ftw) then I don't play any other.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
are you serious? learning to read sheet music is essential. especially for piano.

not only is it useful helping you remember what you just played or wrote, but also some songs cannot be played without it. sure twinkle twinkle and other songs are easy to figure out, but when you get into music with mixed meters and weird accidentals/chords/scales/runs one cannot figure that out by ear. anyone who wants to start writing/playing music should learn sheet music it really helps with music theory. ive been a musician for about 8 or 9 years now and its helped me a lot.
oh HAI!

well anyway most rock songs are simple enough to learn by ear, and you can even improv a bit... The thing is classical music normaly deals with more random, complicated melodies, which I don't play much of. ANYWAY there are 2 kinds of musicians, some can read notes and play instantly, while others can reproduce what is heard. I can do both, but I'm obviously better at reproducing something I've heard(I'm really slow at reading notes D=)

I've been a musician for 8 or 9 years as well but I only read notes when I play the clarinet. BTW I play the Clarinet, Guitar, Piano, and Bass.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
I play piano with no sheet music.
I can't read it, so I go by memory.

And I don't do those 'little kid songs' either.
Currently, I'm tackling Native Faith (ashame I'm going to have to find the keys for most of it on my own; the only part I've got down is....half of the beginning).
Koishi's Theme is a breeze, though I admit, I am doing one part wrong, but it happens over time, and I learn to call it a remix.
Same goes with the fifth part of Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke (there's a part with some chimes that I simply cannot master unless given a larger piano, so I improvise).
ok yeah you can figure those out by ear because they have a simple melody, not fast runs or meter changes, or weird chords.

im talkin complex music by melilo or ticheli. I just wrote a piece for piano. I just wrote a piece for piano that im pretty sure no one could figure out by ear because of its complexity. it has no key and if it did itd probably switch every few measures. it doesnt really have a concrete melody either. its really strange but it sounds good.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I can still play saxophone, although heavily out of practice (4 years out of practice)

...am trying to teach myself guitar, but I am a horribly lazy teacher

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
I thought about switching programs, but I'll stick with FL/Kontakt for the time being, or until I can get a decent rig where I would actually need something heavier like Reason. I tried switching to Sonar a few months ago and I was so lost it wasn't even funny. Not to mention I've got roughly two years experience with FruityLoops.

Mahjix

Smash Cadet
I like playing all types of instruments. Too bad I'm terrible at all of them. I'd like to learn how to play the piano in particular. :}

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I got mad blues and shred skills on the electric guitar!

Best decision of my life was picking up a guitar.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I thought about switching programs, but I'll stick with FL/Kontakt for the time being, or until I can get a decent rig where I would actually need something heavier like Reason. I tried switching to Sonar a few months ago and I was so lost it wasn't even funny. Not to mention I've got roughly two years experience with FruityLoops.
LOL that's the exact thing that happened to me when I first tried Reason, I was totally overwhelmed. There are a lot of youtube guides on the subject now though.

Top Bottom