• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you play a musical instument?

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
I do. The violin. I started not because my parents forced me to but because I thought it better than all the other instruments while I was visiting a store with a wide selection of them. Plucking the four strings was bliss when I was 4 years old. However, my parents DID want me to play an instrument. I didn't like the drums or woodwinds, as it was hard to constantly blow into them. The drums sounded monotonous.

What about you?

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
I just started playing violin 2 years ago in the school orchestra. I honeslty didn't want to do it, (last on my list that I handed in) but the school needed more kids in it so there I was. I actually like playing it now lol.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I've been teaching myself how to read music for the past week or so, and I'm planning on buying a keyboard and teaching myself the piano. I really missed out on musical instruments as a child, because even though I played some violin and trumpet, my parents never made me stick with it long enough to love it. :( I plan to change that.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
I played the alto sax for eight years through school, starting in 4th grade. I did pep band, jazz band, marching band, solo & ensembles and states, and played at CMU games a couple times. I don't play anymore, as I've been graduated for almost three years.

.. I should take it out and play some.. I still have all my old music.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Well, yes. My (new ^_^ ) username and signature implies that I play the bassoon. Which I do. :p Yeah, so bassoon is my main instrument. I play it in band, and I hope to play it in orchestra next year as well.

Otherwise, I played trumpet for marching band. Not my favorite instrument by any means (not even my favorite to march.), but it worked.

My real second favorite to play is alto saxophone. I don't even know if I should call it "second" favorite, I'd say I like the bassoon and alto saxophone pretty the same amount, but I don't have one that's working right now so I don't get to play it too often. I hope to buy a tenor saxophone over the summer after I get my summer job. Yeah, I said tenor, not alto. I don't care, I like the sound of the tenor better.:chuckle:

Then there's clarinet and piano. I play the clarinet only for fun, and seeing as I don't like it that much that's not very often. :laugh: The piano I play soley because it's required of music majors. It can be fun when you have a pretty piece, but I just don't like that much to be honest. Woodwinds are my passion.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
tuba (sousaphone in marching band, too) and baritone (I hate euphoniums ["euphonia"?])

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Several: Flute/Piccolo (those are my mains) Saxophone: Mainly alto and bari sax (BARI FTW!) Trombone, Trumpet, Baritone (euphonium), Clarinet and Piano (though, poorly).

I'm a music ed major btw. ;)

Bassoonist, you are on ZU! I recognize your sig. :)

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Piano's too good. been playin' it for long time n' stuff. though I've always wanted to learn the violin and some wood-wind instrument.

Kirby_M@ster

Smash Ace
I play the guitar, but I've had experience with the piano and I hope to take that back up again soon, once I can allow myself some more free time.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
So how would that work? By hardest instrument to master? Because it would be violin on the top and flute second. I know those two are the hardest instruments to play or get good at. (not unless you count bagpipes.)

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Rhythm is easy to get down. I dunno... this list will be hard to determine. I know saxophone would be down low because it's a very easy instrument to learn and to get good at. Oboe would be pretty high. Trumpet is easy to learn, but it takes years and years before you develop chops to play high, or at least have a decent range. Low brass wouldn't be too bad. Look at DCI people, they put newcomers on low brass all the time. ;)

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
I can actually play Guitar and Bass, I have been doing so for quite some time now, but I really don't practice that much anymore

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
I barely do :p just recently started to learn to play guitar(im 17, i know i started late :p) but i enjoy it as a hobby, not like to live out of it.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I'm mad good at the saxophone. Alto saxophone. I'm so good it hurts.

Pretty good at trumpet.

Learning drums.

I also play a bit of piano, guitar, clarinet, trombone, baritone, but not too much (except for piano).

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I say guitar is top tier. We should make a tier list about instruments.
A tier list for instruments would fail.

We all have our own opinions. and in mine piccolo and guitar would be bottom tier. Well, piccolo would be very bottom, and guitar would be low.:laugh:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Well, piccolo would be very bottom, and guitar would be low.:laugh:
Whatever. The bassoon is like, the most disposable instrument ever. I love the sound of them, but you can still have a pretty dang good orchestra without 'em.

I played the Bass Clarinet through my Junior year in high school, and slowly converted to choral stuff.

I also play the guitar-- buuut not enough to actually play it in front of people. It's more of a thing I do when I'm bored.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Again it's a matter of opinion. I don't think that. :ohwell:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Again it's a matter of opinion. I don't think that. :ohwell:
Nah. I think it'd be a matter of how important an instrument is to all styles of music. It also wouldn't work because of specifics. Like, I'm sure a sort of drum would be #1 on the tier list, since there's usually a form of percussion in every style of music imaginable-- just what type of drum, etc.

And seriously, if an orchestra had to choose to ditch the either trumpets, flutes, clarinets, violins, cellos, percussion, oboes, or bassoons... well... what would you choose? No being biased here, either. :p

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
And seriously, if an orchestra had to choose to ditch the either trumpets, flutes, clarinets, violins, cellos, percussion, oboes, or bassoons... well... what would you choose? No being biased here, either. :p
Trumpets. Definitely the trumpets.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Nah. I think it'd be a matter of how important an instrument is to all styles of music. It also wouldn't work because of specifics. Like, I'm sure a sort of drum would be #1 on the tier list, since there's usually a form of percussion in every style of music imaginable-- just what type of drum, etc.

Flutes. For sure.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would ditch oboes. never really liked them. Bassoons are cool. Flutes, are important, but I think you can always need more clarinets. Too many flutes can be bad....

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I feel bad. We totally betrayed Xsyven on that one. XD

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Honestly, I don't think any of those instruments should be "ditched", not even the flute. I'm afraid I can't understand how ANY of them are disposable.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Well, I play the drums mainly. I am drummer in a folk rock/heavy metal band, and in an alternative/punk rock band (neither of them professional though). Have done live performances in pubs/bars with an earlier death metal band though. And have played in a typical "garage" band as well, but that disbanded.

The drums is about the only thing I can be considered "good" at, however I also play keyboards/piano and am capable of playing some very basic stuff on guitar, bass guitar and flute.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't think any of those instruments should be "ditched", not even the flute. I'm afraid I can't understand how ANY of them are disposable.

how can you not like the flute or piccolo? they're waaay too amazing.

i don't even know what a bassoon is lol.:lick:

Top Bottom