• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you play a musical instument?

Jammer

Smash Lord
Hmm... I'd say not every instrument is important for all bands.

In wind ensembles, which I am most familiar with, taking out the bassoon wouldn't do much damage. You might be able to dispense with the tubas or euphoniums, but probably not both. While I personally like oboes, they're probably dispensable also. I'm on the edge with French horns. I'd say that they stay.

Now for saxophones: I play the saxophone, so it would pain me greatly to see one removed from a wind ensemble. But I'd say the tenor sax is a prime candidate for removal. The bari sax is also--I mean, you've got a bass clarinet and a bassoon, which pretty much do what the bari sax does.

Pretty much the only really necessary instruments are the flutes, clarinets, trumpets, and probably French horns. Many composers left trombones out of orchestrations, although I think trombones are pretty important to most modern songs.

Wow, this post isn't even that useful.

I think it's really funny that we wanted to make a tier list for instruments. I mean, come on. That just cracked me up.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Hmm... I'd say not every instrument is important for all bands.

In wind ensembles, which I am most familiar with, taking out the bassoon wouldn't do much damage. You might be able to dispense with the tubas or euphoniums, but probably not both. While I personally like oboes, they're probably dispensable also. I'm on the edge with French horns. I'd say that they stay.

Now for saxophones: I play the saxophone, so it would pain me greatly to see one removed from a wind ensemble. But I'd say the tenor sax is a prime candidate for removal. The bari sax is also--I mean, you've got a bass clarinet and a bassoon, which pretty much do what the bari sax does.

Pretty much the only really necessary instruments are the flutes, clarinets, trumpets, and probably French horns. Many composers left trombones out of orchestrations, although I think trombones are pretty important to most modern songs.

Wow, this post isn't even that useful.

I think it's really funny that we wanted to make a tier list for instruments. I mean, come on. That just cracked me up.
I just don't see what you're talking about. ALL instruments are important. Your list of instruments lacks any "bass" instruments, which is not good. Not even a tuba? Wow.

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
Guitar, Bass, Drums, Keyboards, vocals, and I can make my way around any other instrument you throw at me (Not winds though, those are a different set of motions and I don't have the lungs for it yet.)

Jammer

Smash Lord
I just don't see what you're talking about. ALL instruments are important. Your list of instruments lacks any "bass" instruments, which is not good. Not even a tuba? Wow.
Meh, I was just listing the instruments that I thought were absolutely essential. I left out ones that you could conceivably take away. And notice that I said you needed at least either tubas or baritones, so I had the bass instruments covered. Also, I left the bass clarinet in.

But I don't want to argue, because that list is pretty useless. I mean, who cares, right?

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I've been playing the guitar for probably 6 years now, although I may be off a year or two, can't remember exactly. Within 5-7 years though. Anyways, used to play Piano, was playing since I was 6. I quit that when I was 11, but I still play for enjoyment casually sometimes.

I've always wanted to play the Saxophone though :)

Jammer

Smash Lord
I've been playing the guitar for probably 6 years now, although I may be off a year or two, can't remember exactly. Within 5-7 years though. Anyways, used to play Piano, was playing since I was 6. I quit that when I was 11, but I still play for enjoyment casually sometimes.

I've always wanted to play the Saxophone though :)
I have practically the same story. Except switch around sax and guitar.

I started piano when I was 6, stopped when I was 11. Still play casually. Been playing sax for about 6 years. Want to learn guitar.

Pretty crazy, I guess.

Miharu

Smash Hero
No instrument is simple to pick up, and quite possibly impossible to master. There's so much crazy **** that you can do on string instruments, it's ridiculous.

Played both violin and piano for around 9 years each, at different periods of time, with some overlap. Piano came first, did both for awhile, then dropped piano for violin. Ever since I joined an orchestra, I came to realize that there wasn't much of a future for me in violin, so I've dropped that now that I'm in college.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, do you play Sax for a school or on personal time?
Both. I used to play it tons at school, but, at the risk of sounding full of myself, I was way too good to enjoy being in any school band. I mean, being the only one who understands the rhythm, being able to sightread all the music perfectly--it gets pretty boring.

So I started playing other instruments that I'm not as good at, like the trumpet, in school bands. That got old pretty quick, too. So now I'm not in any school bands, even though my school has a very complete music program.

I used to do a good amount of gigs outside of school. The friends I was doing that with kind of drifted away, so that's pretty much stopped (there were actually two groups that I was in, mostly at the same time). I also played in a community band once, but they stunk beyond belief. I should probably get into it (the private gigs) again.

I'm actually going to join a group playing trumpet in a few months. That should be fun, I hope.

The thing is, I'm not so much into playing anymore. I hardly practice now. I guess playing music has sort of lost its magic for me.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Guitar, since '03 new years. I also want to learn the harmonica >_>
Founded a metal band called Savior of the Dam*ed, sounds like.. In flames, Lamb of God, Avenged Sevenfold excluding vocals.

Children_of_Bodom

Smash Cadet
This is my sixth year playing the drums. While it is my favorite instrument, I'm the head percussionist at our school band and I can play everything in there quite well. I'll give you a little list to hopefully impress everyone :p Drums, kongas, bongos, vibraphone, marimba, timpanies, chimes, timbales, concert snares and basses and a few more things that I can't think of right now.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I play the piano and am a Vocalist.

But I actually need some help.

If anyone could find Sheet Music of Brat Pack by The Rocket Summer, I would be very happy.

Jammer

Smash Lord
If anyone could find Sheet Music of Brat Pack by The Rocket Summer, I would be very happy.
Hey! That is a perfect question for the newly-created "Search Engine Topic" thread. I will post it there for you.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I play flute. I've been playing since 6th grade (and sucked for 4 years). I plan to play piccolo next year. I joined marching band this year and loved it. I wish I had joined freshman year though...I'm a sophmore btw.

I would like to play clarinet, trumpet, saxiphone, percussion, piano, string instruments, and maybe some other brass instruments. That's kinda impossible for me though, since I can't even find the time to do even the simplest things. I'm a time-noob. I don't even have the means to get all of those instruments. :/

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
Is there anyone who plays the didgeridoo? I've only ran into one person who actually plays it, and it was crazy to see them perform.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
I play Bass. I've actually recorded a bunch of songs. Well, really more experiments than songs. It's hard to say if anyone could get any enjoyment out of them besides me

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Over the years I've played bass, guitar, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto sax, piccollo (very briefly), piano, trumpet, and vocals. However, the only instrument I play on a regular basis these days is violin... and a little singing.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
this has always been a question i want to ask:
why do people like the guitar so much?
I like the versatility of the instrument. On it's own, I can get such a great range of sound, but add in effects and I can have any instrument I want.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I play the euphonium & trombone and I'm a vocalist in music school. Also, I'm the lead singer in my Rock Band band, heh.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I play the Piano and the Trombone, though it's been about a year or so since I've really played either. College really through a kink into that.

I hope to pick it up again soonish though. I also do some sound work with Fruity Loops, Sound Forge, and Sony ACID music studio. As Well as Finale. All fun music/sound based computer programs.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I've been playing classical piano for 11 years now, but I quit lessons last June, so I've only been professionally taught for 10 and 1/2 years.

I don't claim to be any good though.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
^^ You gotta be good if you've been playing for 11 years, unless you're doing something wrong [which would be improbable].

I've been playing guitar for about 8 months and I'm not that good but it's not gonna take more than 4 years to get decent.

Top Bottom