• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you land PK flash usually?

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
PK Flash is a deadly special to get hit with....but is made up for its awful speed.
Have you ever landed a few of your PK flashes? If so how do you use them in a brawl?
Me...of couse as an edgeguard, but also use it as an umbrella for opponents coming from above. I also like using it with no DI so it comes back down on me and explodes to create a sort of barrier.

UberBen56

Smash Rookie
Yeah I also use it as an edgeguard. I hit with it a moderate amount of times. I should use it as an umbrella more though.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I honestly rarely use it. Against TLs with the annoying Dair I'll umbrella and if I break a shield they're gonna eat a fully charged one which is so satisfying. Sometimes I'll use it on people trying to eat my recovery (I'll just use PKFlash as a "surprise") Usually only if I'm at outrageously high percentages or they are.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I find it is very effective as a quick uncharged umbrella, or as an edge guard when they have limited dodging options.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I use it to chase my opponents away,when they are coming down on me, they have to air dodge to dodge it and its really close, if the misstime the airdodgethey get hit but they also are left open to a follow up ussually. I barley use it tho.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Do I land it usually? Yes. I pick up on characters with powerful dairs and I read my opponent for an easy hit.

Masky

Smash Master
PK Flash is like a ******** version of Snake's mortar that rarely hits, but it will always force an air dodge

Uffe

Smash Hero
I use it on myself. If they want to get close, by all means, get *****. I also use it for edge guarding.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I like how people are absolutely terrified of it. *uses it many times in FFAs*

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
It works quite well against people who can't sweetspot ledges. Sonic, Ike (in select circumstances), Snake if I am unable to pillar spike or Dair. It also plays a decent pressure game, and is much safer than attempting to PKT2 offstage, something I unfortunately attempt more than I'd like to admit.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
Awesome! I can use some of your ideas and keep them in mind...
i also prefer Ness' bneutral as a better edgeguarder and all round attack than Lucas' bneutral because if you use a pk freeze as an edgeguard...well..your only going to help them recover since it sends the opponent up when hit

Uffe

Smash Hero
i also prefer Ness' bneutral as a better edgeguarder and all round attack than Lucas' bneutral because if you use a pk freeze as an edgeguard...well..your only going to help them recover since it sends the opponent up when hit
You're better off not using this method against other Ness and Lucas mains, though because they can just absorb it for health. PK Freeze can be absorbed, remember that. I've seen some Ness players run away or try to dodge PK Freeze. It can be used for health, though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I land it, but I love using it more as a mindgame.
This. I like to trick my opponent into a charged yoyo, bat, or keep them in the air with PK Thunder after they airdodge. I also like to use it against other Ness's and Lucas's when they are a certain height because they will absorb it, sink down, and then screw up their timing for recovery (sometimes it's already too late) or set them up for a relatively easy edgehog.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I could really use some visuals for this, because I just cannot make anything of this. I'm on the fence with Ness, and if I don't see a good use for PK Flash, I'm just going to replace him with Wario.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
I like using it for an edgeguard, for general mindgames, and more. Sometimes I love u-throw > flash, though the flash can't be charged very long if you want to hit, even if the opponent has quite a bit of damage. But yeah thats pretty much it. Outside of these general situations I almost never use it.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I could really use some visuals for this, because I just cannot make anything of this. I'm on the fence with Ness, and if I don't see a good use for PK Flash, I'm just going to replace him with Wario.
This is stupid stupid. Why would you give up one character just because you dont like ONE of their moves!?

Gindler

Smash Champion
I actually killed with it today. I mean it was in teams but my teammate didn't make it happen the opponent kinda tripped on the moving platform on smashville, I thought it was funny =D

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
It works wonders to counteract Dedede's recovery. If my matches tonight were any indication, and granted, I may be mistaken, during the time in which Dedede spins around before going into fallspecial with his Up-B, he can be gimped with the Flash quite easily.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
It works wonders to counteract Dedede's recovery. If my matches tonight were any indication, and granted, I may be mistaken, during the time in which Dedede spins around before going into fallspecial with his Up-B, he can be gimped with the Flash quite easily.
Thats a good point I never thought of that. Thats probably one of the better character specific ways to use it. It goes along with edgeguarding but I like the specific situation you came up with.

I suppose it is very useful for anyone else with a very obvious or edgeguard-able up-b as well.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
It definitely chews up anyone who can't sweetspot recoveries. A predictable Sonic = gg.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Criosphinx speaks a lot of truth
Team deathgrab until about 300% should give Ness enough time to land a full charged PK Flash for MASSIVE lolz.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
It's awesome using on 4 man brawls! You can see the other three brawling it out with each other while you just stand on the side and throw a charged PK Flash on them, and watch it explode in all their faces and watch them fly away into oblivion lolz...countless times :p

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
pk flash, although great if its hit, its usually used to 'not' hit. I usually use it as a edge guard, max it out, and watch the enemy dodge it spiking them right after :]
Ken

IDK

Smash Lord
if you do it to someone at low percents, they only barely go up, and i've actually gotten it on heavies so that they can't get out and just fall to their dooms. it's not a problem to help them recover because they're likely to recover anyway, so if they live you are just landing the 20 percent and a follow up.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Its good for gimping Ike's recovery & I've seen it used to kind of stage control, like on Battlefield, if the opponent is coming from offstage from the top in the air, PK-Flash which prevents them from going over you, then Bat or a follow-up.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
mind games and against people recovering. Don't usually hit with PK flash, but a followup instead

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
The other night we were playing teams, and my teammate Lucas knocked Zelda towards Ganondorf. As soon as they were next to each other, I'd just happened to release a fully charged PK Flash. They both went sky high...

That woulda been a great replay to have. :chuckle: But, in general, I just use PK Flash at random times and hope for the best. I'm still learning how best to exploit it.

Edit: Successor of Raphael, I just saw that video... Reflected PK Flash finish? Aw, man. That's a rough loss, there... Regardless, your Ness is really good.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Lol on the video, Successor of Raphael. And it is probably ironic too how you landed it. And it was a close one too.

panique365

Smash Cadet
Super rarely, I love when it hits though. The easiest time to do it is when someone breaks their shield, as a punishment

arwnightmare

Smash Cadet
I use PK flash when they are far..but i send the PK flash out a lil and then pull it back in fully..some ppl think they can reach up to me fast enough to hit me..but bcause i pull it back i put it to explode on myself..and somtimes it works...i caught sonic with it a time when he tried to D-B to reach me fast and he got caught right before he reached me...lol

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
I use it on my cousin (he mains Ike) when Ike is falling down after Aether. I can usually land 3-4 PK Flashes per match if he/me gets spammy with Aether/PK Flash. xD

Top Bottom