• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do people truly care what tier their character is?

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i like good characters that feel good to me. if wario was the top character i wouldt use him. i dont like that playstlyle. i more or a meta+toonlink+marth kinda guy.

lolz. i use snake cuz i played a lot of MGS when i was younger and hes too fun to use

edit* u shouldt care what tier or place ur character is because especially in brawl a lot of characters have a chance and ur skill just elevates this chance. like jiggs that pwn noob snakes or yoshis who just wail on foxes.

main ur character that you like and fits ur playing style

Aziel

Smash Cadet
I've never really cared about tiers, only if I could play well with the character.
That's a partial reason for my choosing the characters I do, as well as how much I enjoy the character overall, non combat-related. I liked Young Link in Melee, but obviously he wasn't so great, and I found myself using Link more because I played better with him. Toon Link was great at making up for that. I use Ike as a sub because I like him as a character, regardless of his overall standing on tiers. Marth is more for nostalgia, having been my main on Melee and a good sub to a Toon Link user on Brawl.

vidwatcher4ever

Smash Cadet
I don't give a **** what tier my character is. I like Yoshi in all the games, he's a low tier isn't he not? Jigglypuff is awesome in melee (don't like her that much in brawl yet I still play her well in the game). I used to like Fox but he' soooo boring and repetitive so I quit him. Bowser and DK are fun to play even if they are slow. I like Diddy Kong because of his fighting style I wouldn't care if he was put in Lowest Tier or Highest Tier he's still awesome.
tell it straight!

Ted PJs

Smash Cadet
im not going to pick one of my favorite bottom tiers like ness (melee) against my equally skilled friends doc in a competitive match very often. my friends and i have fun playing to win so it makes sense to use a character that can represent my skill level equal to my opponents character right? yes i do care how good my character is, regardless of their tier. the list is slightly outdated anyway. you probably should have asked whether we cared about the overall decency of our character or if we had more fun playing characters based on their appearance, character backround, funny noises they make, and silly stuff they can pull off.

I really don't care all that much, unless they've become ridiculously bad (Looks at CF).

What I do get annoyed by, are Low Tier whores who think they deserve a medal for Maining a low Tier character and call anyone who mains a Top, High, or sometimes even Mid Tier mains a Tier *****. It pisses me off.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Personally, I just use whoever feels the most "natural" for me, without regard to their tier placement. If they happen to be top tier, that's fine, but it won't be for that reason (though it'll certainly be a nice bonus).

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I don't care about tiers. I have got enough skill to main anyone and win. Which is why I am confident that my Snake and metaknight won't be beat.

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
I don't care about tiers. I have got enough skill to main anyone and win. Which is why I am confident that my Snake and metaknight won't be beat.
^I'm sorry, but I rofl'd at that

Anyways, I don't care much about "tier position" But I do care about certain character advantages and disadvantages. For instance I main Marth and DDD because I love their great range and aerial games. But I also play jiggs and kirby because they also have great (but different) air games and a novelty factor, however they don't have as much range or ko potential so I usually only play them in friendlies. I actually mained MK first, from the day I played the japanese version of brawl, but dropped him later because i didn't like his short range

I enjoy winning and playing competitively so a "better" character is usually more fun for me to play, but it's only part of what inspires me to play certain characters

moonsoul

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm still trying to decide on a main for myself and I know that if I happen to be the best with someone who is high tier I'll feel more pressure to play well with them. There would most likely be a lot of similarities between my playing style and others who play as that character simply because of their tier placement so yes, the tier of a character I'd main would have an effect on me.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I don't care. I chose the characters I

A) Liked, and wanted to get good with (Lucas)

B) Thought was interesting, and wanted to learns (Pokemon Trainer

or

C) Kept getting my *** kicked by a Metaknight, chose random out of frustration, and managed to win, than picked the character I got on random and won the next two games as well. While I am not religious, I do believe in Divine Intervention (Kirby)

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
I see a lot of "i don't care about tiers, only if I could play well with them". I assume play well means do well. High tiers characteristically are easily to play well with, so maybe that is why so many people feel naturally geared for certain high tiers. Low tiers typically take some time/skill to even get hits off where a high tier MK/Marth/G&W just have to swing in a direction and connect.

edit: I forgot to answer. Yah it bothers me when I know my character is high tier. I'm very proud of my skill and when you use a beast character the line between skill and inherent strength is crazy blurred.

TheTomNookster

Smash Apprentice
Nope, I don't really care about tiers. In fact, no one should care what tier they use. I sometimes play characters I never use, just to experiment or mess around.

acv

Smash Journeyman
imo brawl is more about strategies and matchups so a tier list wont have as much impact as it did in melee.people should actually learn to use more than one character for if you get a bad matchup.a good example would be if you are up against a DDD and you main snake,in that case you switch to meta knight who cannot get chaingrabed.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
No, Falco is Top Tier, I mained Fox in melee didn't like him in brawl, liked falco in brawl never knew which tier he was I just liked him

however I do have some low tier backups like Luigi. I play with Falco/Meta Knight since they can cover eachother's weakness(snake doesn't matter much, Falco can beat him up)

OverlordCrono

Smash Cadet
Not at all. I've used Meta Knight and Sonic since I got Brawl at its release date, and I will continue to do so, not caring what other people rate them as. I play them because I like them as a character, and how comfortable it is to use them. Tiers has/have zero influence on my choices whatsoever.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
i do care in a way, back in melee i mained link when i started, but than i was talking to someone about how i wish link was faster and better in general. my friend than pointed me toward marth and he was my main for like 3 years. i also played doc and fox, the point of all this though is that i later found out about the tierlist and my friends(one in particular) always complained about my characters because they high tier and "cheap". so basicly i hoped my mains would not be high tier

StealthSupreme

Smash Rookie
To an extent, but, not in the way some people may think.

For example, I really, REALLY cannot bring myself to main someone who doesn't have at least two different projectiles. Therefore I use Falco, with Toon Link being my alternative.

But, generally speaking, it shouldn't matter.

FooXero

Smash Cadet
I play who is fun.
Snake. Marth. ZSS. Ganon.
A little bit of high, medium and low.
So I really don't care :)

Demon_Fox

Smash Apprentice
Actually the tier of my mains doesn't bother me either. I main Fox, CF, and Bowser, sometimes I play as DDD. Only DDD is in high tier in the recent tier list, everyone else is below. I always choose the characters I feel the most comfortable with. Since you have to play your main like for ages you should like him, don't be thinking "He's good so I have to."

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Not really. I main Mario, Ike, and Marth. I don't have as much fun playing with Marth as I do with Mario and Ike. Even though one of my mains was Roy, a terrible character from Melee who was low-tier, I still played with him because he was one of my best characters and was fun to play with.

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
It's not a big thought in my mind. I main Peach and Snake(one of two reasons I actually bought a Wii and this game), and I just love playing them because they're fun.

I don't care Tiers and all that crap. If I like the Character and I'm good with that character then I have no Problem at all. I play for fun, but I Also play to win, but In a friendly way...if that makes sense

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
I tend to give tiers a good deal of attention so that, further down the line, i dont get seriously screwed. Its just a general pointer, anyway. Simply avoid bottom ones.

Noa.

Smash Master
I don't really care about tiers, but it is nice when your main is on the good side of the scale. That way he is actually noticed, and isn't made fun of.

studly

Smash Ace
i acctually sorta avoid playing upper tier characters...that way no one can use a dumb excuse when ive just wooped them...anyway i use mario

tj_odee

Smash Rookie
i don't care who my character is either. I use the character that works best with me. I shouldn't be talking because my main is the coolest guy in brawl , wolf.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
Yes and No. I have always used Yoshi no matter what tier he was, and will always use him unless something is found out that completely ruins him beyond use.

However, I wanted a higher tiered secondary to back him up. I originally chose ROB because he was the most comfortable after Yoshi, but I recently Switched to G&W, because he is cool and fun, and I needed an edge against Falco, who destroys Yoshi. I don't think I can use G&W that great though, so I may switch back to ROB anyway.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Answer to the title: Yes & no. I'd be lying through my bloody teeth if I said no. I don't let the tier list (the non-exsistant tier list of Brawl) decide who I play, but it helps whenever my favorite character is depicted on the teir list at a nice rank.

Pit: Generally accepted as at the least a High tier character. But I play Pit cause I wanted this **** character since before Melee, after SSB64. Finding out that Jiggly-f*ck*ng-puff replaced Pit in 64 pissed me off to no ends, and Pit (as well as Joanna Dark, Banjo & Kazooie, King Dedede, and Meta Knight) were my must-have wanted characters for Melee. None of them made it into Melee, and I was initially fine at 1st, until I unlocked that Pit trophy in Melee. Like how people wanted Ganondorf to have his sword for Brawl, only to see him pull it out for a taunt, and how people wanted to play with Isaac in Brawl, only for him to get turned into a mere Assist Trophy, seeing that Pit Trophy instead of a playable Pit really pissed me off. I knew, now matter how Pit played, I was maining the f*ck outta Pit come Brawl, hell, and highwater.

Wolf: Generally accepted that all three Star Fox characters rank in the High tier, with Wolf below Fox and Falco. I'm no true StarFox fan, and if I was, Fox McCloud would probably be my favorite StarFox character, but I love wolves, werewolves, wolf-like dogs, etc., and Wolf O'Donnell is a wolf. So I'm secondary maining him. That's all.

Lucario: I have no idea where it ranks. I'm told Middle tier, but above the likes of Luigi, below Kirby. That about right? Anyway, before Brawl, before even Pokémon Diamond & Pearl (the 4th Generation), when I 1st saw the preview art for Lucario, I knew it would be my new, and forever, favorite Pokémon of all tme. My favorite type is Fighting-type. I knew Lucario wouldn't be a Legendary, despite its role in that movie and despite everyone's predictions. Diamond & Pearl proved me right. Not since Pit had I wanted a character soo **** badly in Brawl. My friends IRL can contest...anytime Bralw came up in conversations, all I talked about was: Lucario. Lucario's possible moveset. Lucario better be in Brawl (playable) or else. So now, I'm playing my favorite Pokémon in Brawl. To all those who didn't want Lucario in Brawl...suck it!

Meta Knight: Sorry, no over-the-top story here for the other Top tier character (Snake being the 1st), the one that I happen to use. I kept trying to force my best bud to main Meta Knight for months before the game even came out in Japan so we could have epic Pit vs. MK battles, and he wouldn't take. So months after the game was released, and he still wouldn't main MK, I decided to, and now, he's one of my secondaries.

Anyway, I have stories that go far past teir-lists for why I play who I play.

PCHU

Smash Lord
It's funny when I kill people with a 'low tier' character.
Lucario is my for fun character and my odd character.
I have a lot of mains:
Fox, Wolf, Falco, Ike, Ness, Lucas, Link, Toon Link, Lucario, Kirby, Marth, Sheik, and maybe Pikachant, Ganondork, and Captan Failure.

I rarely use the latter 6.
They just aren't fun.
Except for Marth.
He rocks.

And what do I care about tiers?
I only care about who I kick butt with the best, and that's Fox and Wolf.
That's my rankings.

ginobeeto

Smash Cadet
I hope my main gets low tier because it makes winning more impressive and people can't say that my character is broken if they lose.

Plazma

Smash Apprentice
I don't care what tier my character is. I main ness because I like him.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I don't generally care what tier my character is. I do get a bit annoyed if my character is high though. It means they suddenly become used more.

Like Zelda. I didn't care she was low in Melee. I used her because she's my favourite Nintendo character. Now that she's gotten better in Brawl you see people randomly maining her now because she's good.

I main a character because I like them, not because of what tier they fall into.

Top Bottom