• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cothero

Smash Lord
Hi guys;

I just made a quick travel to the future and came back to tell you that the next Smash Bros. Game is set to be released in 2026. Sakurai is no longer the director. The roster is beautiful: Crash, Master Chief, Scorpion, Lara, Ray Man and many other third party characters are in base game already. Shadow, Isaac and Waluigi have been promoted as playable characters. There are 106 characters in the base game. 132 stages. All-new gameplay mechanics and improved graphics.

Geno is still a mii costume.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Hi guys;

I just made a quick travel to the future and came back to tell you that the next Smash Bros. Game is set to be released in 2026. Sakurai is no longer the director. The roster is beautiful: Crash, Master Chief, Scorpion, Lara, Ray Man and many other third party characters are in base game already. Shadow, Isaac and Waluigi have been promoted as playable characters. There are 106 characters in the base game. 132 stages. All-new gameplay mechanics and improved graphics.

Bet Lyn is still a AT.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Favorite Smash Trailer of All Time.
2000+ participants, 3 votes each.

1. Sora - 837 votes (44%)
2. Sephiroth - 791 votes (42%)
3. Hero - 381 votes (20%)
4. Joker - 325 votes (17%)
4. Everyone is here - 325 votes (17%)
6. Pyra/Mythra - 202 votes (11%)
7. Megaman - 154 votes (8%)
8. Inkling - 133 votes (7%)
9. Cloud - 129 votes (7%)
10. Greninja - 106 votes (6%)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Insert Western complain (especially the US) about Anime Swordman and how they take all of the roster when it's not true. And now even the trailer ranking

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hi guys;

Nothing against Geno, it's just all that other stuff.

That's the most Japanese list I've ever seen

Insert Western complain (especially the US) about Anime Swordman and how they take all of the roster when it's not true. And now even the trailer ranking
Hey, at least there's no FE. :awesome:

smh my head Sakurai should know Valor Form (the red costume) can't cast magic

this is so disappointing that he would miss such a fact in his Picture of the Day Twitter series :(
Fake fans, amirite?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

A very Japanese list. Cool to see the Greninja trailer being fondly remembered though. I feel it's been overlooked over the past few years.

I always feel the anime swordsman complaint is one of those kind of a true but also false scenarios. Feels like the new Melee clone complaint now that Echoes exist and have their own distinction.

Unless they figure out how to top Ultimate though, I'm going to miss petty complaints like these come the next game. lol

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hi guys;

I get it, big funny haha.

But honestly, I would accept this. This just means Geno is still granting everyone's wishes and we got so many other things people have asked for.

Like, I'm not so selfish to sacrifice all of that just for the character I want, should that be the trade-off.

I know better than that however. We are going to the future as bright as Star Road itself.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I always feel the anime swordsman complaint is one of those kind of a true but also false scenarios. Feels like the new Melee clone complaint now that Echoes exist and have their own distinction.

Unless they figure out how to top Ultimate though, I'm going to miss petty complaints like these come the next game. lol
I think the anime swordsman is mostly a complain toward Fire Emblem honestly, because of their abundance and how they take by themselves almost 10 slot of the "muh anime swordman" meme.
Because let's be honest. 16 Animes swordsman in a game with 89 character is like a very good ratio lmao.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, Japan's list being mostly JRPG characters doesn't surprise me in the slightest, especiallly because those specific trailers are generally considered to be great.

My only surprise is Greninja. Not because of the character, I'm more than aware it's literally one of the most popular Pokémon, but because I remember that trailer being pretty meh. I'd expect Incineroar, Belmonts or even Ryu if we have to go with Smash 4, but not Greninja.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Hi guys;

I just made a quick travel to the future and came back to tell you that the next Smash Bros. Game is set to be released in 2026. Sakurai is no longer the director. The roster is beautiful: Crash, Master Chief, Scorpion, Lara, Ray Man and many other third party characters are in base game already. Shadow, Geno and Isaac have been promoted as playable characters. There are 106 characters in the base game. 132 stages. All-new gameplay mechanics and improved graphics.

Waluigi is still an assist trophy.
Alternate universe.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Yeah, Japan's list being mostly JRPG characters doesn't surprise me in the slightest, especiallly because those specific trailers are generally considered to be great.

My only surprise is Greninja. Not because of the character, I'm more than aware it's literally one of the most popular Pokémon, but because I remember that trailer being pretty meh. I'd expect Incineroar, Belmonts or even Ryu if we have to go with Smash 4, but not Greninja.
Remember when everyone thought Greninja was Mewtwo in that trailer?

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace

I think Nintendo did a very good job getting 3 major Square-Enix IPs (FF, DQ and KH) with full representation into Smash.

Square-Enix at 90’s/00’s was very huge publisher with lots of hits and multi millon seller games. It was a main drive force for SNES, PS1 and PS2 plattaforms and the reason why Sony won japanese home console market overthere for 2 generations. Many japanese people bought their consoles just to play S-E RPGs

Even now they are a popular (but not as huge in the past) publisher, FFXV, FFVIIR1, KH3 and DQXI sold more than 1 million copies on PS4 (that has sold less than 10 million over there, so its a good feat).

Now do the same for Capcom next game, getting Monster Hunter and Resident Evil.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Hi guys;

I just made a quick travel to the future and came back to tell you that the next Smash Bros. Game is set to be released in 2026. Sakurai is no longer the director. The roster is beautiful: Crash, Master Chief, Scorpion, Lara, Rayman and many other third party characters are in base game already. Shadow, Isaac, Waluigi, and Geno have been promoted as playable characters. There are 107 characters in the base game. 133 stages. All-new gameplay mechanics and improved graphics.
The secret good ending only available on ultra difficulty.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Remember when everyone thought Greninja was Mewtwo in that trailer.
I've seen one or two people say that, and I have no clue how. The first thing you see of him is the water shuriken. I could maybe see it if it was that part where you're seeing his silhouette from the back (when he's facing up, not upside down). But with how the trailer played out, I've no idea how people thought it was Mewtwo.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I mean, yes, but those hands are very clearly holding a water shuriken and emanating water particles.
The first time you see him charge it it's not visible as the shuriken. When it cuts back to him its fully charged and the shuriken is visible. But in that first shot it kinda just looks like dark blue energy. Yeah it also looks like water but in the heat of the moment back in 2014 people weren't taking in every little detail. Also worth noting that for some reasons Greninja's hands in the trailer don't have visible webbing, which is odd and it made his hands look slightly more Mewtwo-esque, especially Melee Mewtwo's hands.

Combine the weird hands, the shuriken not being visible at first, the dark blue energy, the general hype leading people not to take in all details, and the fact that Mewtwo was a very commonly expected and requested character at the time, it's very understandable that people jumped to the Mewtwo conclusion. Sure with the benefit of hindsight now it's clearly not Mewtwo but you have to think in the context of people watching live back in the day.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Yeah me wanting Mewtwo seeing the greninja trailer I was thinking Mewtwo I mean it was in a smash direct and with him being really requested I figured it would have Ben the perfect time to show him off

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Okay, hopefully the truth is found. Cause it's become so much more important to not have a mob mentality and find what is the truth and what's not.
I mean, you could just believe accusers when they're putting their literal entire careers in Ubisoft and broader games development on the line to call out his behavior as problematic. Ubisoft was demonstrably shown to be harboring abusers, covering up instances of abuse, and protecting managers and higher ups in a typical circle the wagons mentality that extended all the way up to CEO Yves Guillemont. There was a massive demonstrated culture of abuse at Ubisoft as a company, which means, at the very least, we shouldn't really be giving the CEOs good friend (the same CEO who was shown to have protected numerous abusers in the past) the benefit of the doubt in such a situation, especially when most of the allegations were a hostile work place, to which Ancel literally started yelling "Fake news" and blamed his abusers.

I feel like in a lot of these situations, fans forget just how much power and money the accused actually have and how much power they would have wielded in the past. There's just not a lot to be gained by stumping for people to that degree even if you personally love their art or creations and the overwhelming majority of these people can face allegations and walk away relatively unscathed by virtue of wealth, institutional power protecting them, etc. And especially in the game's industry, blowing the whistle or making accusations is almost an occupational death sentence as a developer or other lower level employee, so there's no reason not to take people at face value when they come out with this stuff.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The "too many swordfighters" complaint is just dumb. Kinda started as a meme, and then grew into something bigger to the point even non-Smash players have heard about it and think no one wants sword characters in Smash, which is just stupid.

First of all, yeah, the increase in characters from Fire Emblem probably in the past 2 games would probably explain why that infamous line has become so frequent in the community, but still... what do you expect?
Swords are the main weapon of choice not only in videogames but also a lot of fiction beyond videogames. If a game involves fighting, chances are that the protagonist will either use some kind of gun or sword.

Smash is a crossover game and it's been very mascot/protagonist driven since the beginning. Therefore, when they add characters from new series, they will obviously pick the protagonist. Swords are very flexible weapons in general and work very well as the weapon of choice of main characters in stories. So again, chances are that if Nintendo is adding a new series, the protag will either use some type of gun, sword, or just his/her fists.
And if we simplify things a little bit, that's precisely the main 3 archetypes we could find in Smash: swordfighters, brawlers, and gunners. We have more characters fighting with kicks and punches thant sword users, and no one complains about those, and just like there are just many ways you can swing a sword, the same could be said for the brawler archetype. Then we have people that unironically group the likes of Ganondorf, Joker or Pit as swordfighters lmao

I do understand that some weapon variety would be cool. And I agree with that. But if you're adding a Final Fantasy character, you're not going out of your way and pick Caith Sith if you wanna rep FFVII, that would be just trying too hard. In FFVII's case. there's only one choice and it's Cloud. This is just an example, but you get my point.

Not to say... Smash is a 2D fighting game. I don't think having fighters with lances or axes would change things that much. In terms of gameplay and functionality, these weapons could just be viewed as "long sword with small hitbox" (lances) or "strong sword that covers less space" (axes). Like, I don't think it's that hard to imagine some of the moves of Palutena has with a sword instead of her staff.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I get it, big funny haha.

But honestly, I would accept this. This just means Geno is still granting everyone's wishes and we got so many other things people have asked for.

Like, I'm not so selfish to sacrifice all of that just for the character I want, should that be the trade-off.

I know better than that however. We are going to the future as bright as Star Road itself.
Not gonna lie, I love Geno, but Shadow, Isaac and Master Chief in exchange with a base roster of 106? Sign me up.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
here is an interesting question which fighter you want who isnt a Swordsmen or Brawler or Gunner?
Magus from Chrono Trigger. There are a ton of others but he’s my most wanted that isn’t one of the two (Zegram’s a sword fighter and the Battletoads are brawlers).

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I've seen a lot of people wanting Samus' Dread power suit as her new Smash design, but why stop there? All her other colors are based on the different suits she's worn throughout the series, just turn her alts into the actual suits themselves, like the Gravity suit or Dark & Light suits.
Even the green outfit could be replaced by the Metroid suit! Don't cry foul when you don't get yourself the incredible power-high, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom