• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm just going to sheepishly brush past how I advised everyone not to expect Sora and instead feel vindicated about this ****:

2020:
N3ON said:
It's funny though because I don't usually watch too many reaction videos, but I've got more time on my hands, and Sora has been the name I've heard people drop the most when the trailer first kicks off.

Which reinforces what I've said in the past that I do think the Smash fanbase specifically underestimates how popular he is with the general gaming populace. Which is usually the one Nintendo tries to court with DLC. Which then loops back around to their potential efforts thus far in acquiring him.
2017:
N3ON said:
The next extension of "Sakurai is a magician and can get any character he wants in Smash" would be Banjo and Sora. Given the companies that own those characters.

Good job, N3ON. Now you can rest, and watch the sun rise on a grateful universe.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Might wanna update the poll to include Sora before this thread closes

also Warchamp7 Warchamp7 - the top banner that randomizes with different character portraits, it’s just missing Kazuya and Sora. I also wonder if we’ll get the side banners to include a variant that has Pyra/Mythra, Sora and Kazuya

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
At this time of posting, 2:14 am Japan time, the 6th….

Sakurai is hard at work gearing up for Super Smash Bros. Omega, the sixth game. He intends to include all the characters and fulfill al the requests Ultimate couldn’t. It will release in 2023. Just sit tight.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At this time of posting, 2:14 am Japan time, the 6th….

Sakurai is hard at work gearing up for Super Smash Bros. Omega, the sixth game. He intends to include all the characters and fulfill al the requests Ultimate couldn’t. It will release in 2023. Just sit tight.
God I hope you’re right

personally tho I’d use a different name than Omega. Infinite? …nah, that sounds too much like MVCI and we know how that went

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it's partially because I'm disappointed myself, but I wouldn't fault anyone for being disappointed or venting their frustrations (granted that it's not straight-up flaming), considering that this was it for the chances of all other MWs until the next game, which won't be until the next console. Who knows how long that'll be.

I won't argue against this being a fitting end or a high-note reveal, it absolutely was, on both counts. It just wasn't high-note for me. Maybe next game I'll be a luckier man who'll get the same fulfillment that Sora fans are entitled to enjoy now, and they should. I'll carry my MWs into the sunset and return with them whenever the sun rises again for this series' speculation scene.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
After checking once again all of the newcomers during this smash iteration, I think I can safely say that all the top ballot picks are now in the game. If Sakurai had a big hand to playing DLC choices, it was probably to fulfill the most popular choices list left by the ballot. And now that it is complete which set of newcomers is the best:

Melee? Brawl? 3DS+Wii U? Or Ultimate?

I persoally would go for Ultimate. There is Ridley, King K. Rool, Incineroar, Piranha Plant, Banjo Kazooie, Terry, Steve Sephiroth and Sora for me to enjoy.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Can we all appreciate how Sakurai was like "yeah, we hid the ballot results because Smash fans are ****ing animals and would've made the last few years absolute hell for the IP holders, please understand"?
For good reason, considering just saying Sora was the most requested character have people in an uproar about Bayonetta not being the winner when Nintendo and Sakurai already told us during her reveal to begin with.

So yeah, for good reason.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly, it's kinda funny to me.

I always figured that CP11 could potentially be a "ballot pick", with Smash Ultimate being a game with a huge focus on fan-service (no, I'm not talking about THAT kind you sickos). And I did actually end up being right about this (pats self on back)

That said, when I was thinkning along these lines I was mostly using it to support my MW Isaac, as I kind of figured he would maybe be the next in line after K Rool and banjo considering the Smash Ballot exit poll data and the very generous amount of content Isaac/Golden Sun got.

Little did I know Sora was sitting atop the ballot throne this whole ****ing time lol.

So yeah, I was correct about something but still lost anyways. :mybodyisreggie:

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Can we all appreciate how Sakurai was like "yeah, we hid the ballot results because Smash fans are ****ing animals and would've made the last few years absolute hell for the IP holders, please understand"?
Oh god I didn't even think of that. Yeah Smash fans would NOT have left any dev teams who are anywhere even in the top 100 of the ballot results alone. Ouch...

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Might wanna update the poll to include Sora before this thread closes

also Warchamp7 Warchamp7 - the top banner that randomizes with different character portraits, it’s just missing Kazuya and Sora. I also wonder if we’ll get the side banners to include a variant that has Pyra/Mythra, Sora and Kazuya
I have duplicate characters in the banner and side images to account for new characters, they'll be updated when I get the time along with other stuff like smileys :)

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they helped themselves at the time claiming Bayonetta 'won'. I know there was some asterisks saying she was the Number One 'possible' character or something, but no one bought it for a second.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I was so ****ing wrong. I was so expecting an underwhelming finale, and i got a punch in the face for being such a doomer.

God, i can't put it in words. I was so ready to call Cinderace when the fire came in.

For as many issues this games has had over the years, this truly was a great finale, from a personal perspective and a general broad perspective.

You did good Sakurai, you did good. Thank You.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Congratulations to the sora fanbase. Was a fitting way to end the pass. Moveset looks a tad lacking but he’s a popular pick and the trailer was pretty good

Gotta question for you all. Do you reckon planning on next game is happening as we speak or do you reckon sakurai is finally resting.

Personally I’m hoping he’s getting that rest.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Congratulations to the sora fanbase. Was a fitting way to end the pass. Moveset looks a tad lacking but he’s a popular pick and the trailer was pretty good

Gotta question for you all. Do you reckon planning on next game is happening as we speak or do you reckon sakurai is finally resting.

Probably a draft of the next game at least

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
God I hope you’re right

personally tho I’d use a different name than Omega. Infinite? …nah, that sounds too much like MVCI and we know how that went
There’s already Smash Infinite. It’s been in development for little under a year.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

Rest is nice but it's not like he's being actually dragged through the mud by Nintendo I think... That's why I hope we get to see a new project from him. Kid Icarus turned out so well I want to see him tackle more because he's obviously a super creative guy.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
well, this is probably the last time we're ever going to see a new character to the franchise and honestly I’m fine with ultimate being the last Smash game in general(no future sequels or a port in the future) since this is Sakurai’s last Smash game and I doubt that a future smash bros will be same as Smash Ultimate(especially with a new director).

Sakurai finally resting(or working on a new game that's not Smash(new ip preferably).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe it's partially because I'm disappointed myself, but I wouldn't fault anyone for being disappointed or venting their frustrations (granted that it's not straight-up flaming), considering that this was it for the chances of all other MWs until the next game, which won't be until the next console. Who knows how long that'll be.

I won't argue against this being a fitting end or a high-note reveal, it absolutely was, on both counts. It just wasn't high-note for me. Maybe next game I'll be a luckier man who'll get the same fulfillment that Sora fans are entitled to enjoy now, and they should. I'll carry my MWs into the sunset and return with them whenever the sun rises again for this series' speculation scene.
I don't think there's anything wrong with people venting their disappointment, as long as it all remains civil.

I've been displeased a lot throughout the DLC. Not this time, but in the past I've been in the underwhelmed minority, and people shouldn't feel the need to bury their disappointment if they can express themselves in a reasonable way.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Popping in one last time to congratulate those who got their dream character today.

Sora is not a character I ever wanted - I actually outright did not want him - but the passion and excitement Sakurai clearly felt showing him off made it satisfying nonetheless. He looks like fun. Pretty nice to have direct confirmation that yeah, Sora was the most wanted character PERIOD and that objectively speaking, we ended on the highest note possible in spite of the supposed patterns that many cited as gospel. That's really therapeutic too.

Admittedly, most of the DLC characters chosen are those who I can admit are great choices and have fun with but not appreciate on a deeper, personal level. It's bittersweet for me that I wasn't able to experience that one more time, but I'm still very appreciative that I have characters like Little Mac and K. Rool who were some of my longstanding dream picks. We can't have everything but surely there's something here for everyone. I'm very thankful.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, I can't tell if my brain is being revisionistic, so I wanna ask: when Sakurai said Bayonetta won the Ballot back in Smash 4, did he happen to specify that she was the most popular FEASIBLE character? I've seen people claim that Sora being the winner means they lied, but I have a hard time believing they would lie about something like that (call me an optimist). If it was Bayonetta being the most popular feasible character, then technically both statements would be true.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay, I can't tell if my brain is being revisionistic, so I wanna ask: when Sakurai said Bayonetta won the Ballot back in Smash 4, did he happen to specify that she was the most popular FEASIBLE character? I've seen people claim that Sora being the winner means they lied, but I have a hard time believing they would lie about something like that (call me an optimist). If it was Bayonetta being the most popular feasible character, then technically both statements would be true.
That is correct, she was the realizable ballot winner

key word being realizable

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Nintendo knows Smash is a cash cow and Ultimate cemented it’s hold on the industry. Sakurai will return as not returning and allowing someone to take a hold of the franchise isn’t how he works.

Smash will continue with either Sakurai or under someone Sakurai specifically picks out and trains personally. It probably won’t be for a while but it will happen. Everyone returning won’t happen I think.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Ok, im back to reality, Sora being in smash wasnt a dream, right?
Sora in Smash? What are you talking about? That must have been one hell of a dream you had. The newest Smash game's newest characters are Snake, meta-Knight, Diddy Kong, King DDD, Olimar, and some other characters that definitely aren't Sora.

Man I can't wait to get to the end of the line to get my copy of Brawl and check out Subspace Emissary!

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Reposting it here but.
I just realize that Sora's light still igniting as Smash Ultimate was slowly turning down and all fighters goes back to the darkness as trophy was a reference to this.
"The heart may be weak. And sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned that deep down, there's a light that never goes out!"

He was the only light not going down while everyone did, until Mario pulled himself up.

Beautiful.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Reposting it here but.
I just realize that Sora's light still igniting as Smash Ultimate was slowly turning down and all fighters goes back to the darkness as trophy was a reference to this.
"The heart may be weak. And sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned that deep down, there's a light that never goes out!"

He was the only light not going down while everyone did, until Mario pulled himself up.

Beautiful.
Oh yeah it was nice to bring back trophies for a bit to send off SSBU.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
The ending is a bittersweet feeling, like I know there is still characters I really want and Sora is just more of ok cool to me. Though I really like a lot of the newcomers and dlc we got for ultimate. (Man I was so wanting that rumored bonus character to be real after sora was announced) Also I will end with this image. Edit: doomguy mii costume AWESOME!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I'm just surprised Cloud and Sephiroth showed up in a trailer that wasn't for Cloud or Sephiroth.
In the same vein I can't believe the disrespect :ulthero: got by not appearing in the stamina match alongside Cloud and Sephiroth for a full Suqare Enix showdown. 😤

I know it's because Cloud and Sephiroth actually show up in KH but still

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom