• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Aurelion Sol

A character soo complex he has a less than 1% pick rate and they keep nerfing him anyway.
Ah of course. It's not a SMAASH! Puppy favorite if it isn't an objectively terrible pick for a beginner.

EDIT: For context, my favorite character in my first traditional fighting game was Amaterasu, and my favorite characters in the first Super Smash Bros. game that I didn't just spam Dash Attack in were Mega Man, Duck Hunt, and Shulk.

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
To squeeze extra content in Smash. Without them, we'd only have 6 newcomers in the base roster.
But did they really need to introduce them as "Echo Fighters"? They could have just introduced the characters and left it at that, no? Smash is no stranger when it comes to clone characters and its like they were getting people's hopes up for no reason with the idea of "your most wanted could get in but as a clone character".

I don't know, seems like wasted potential to me.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
You mean like Hyrule Castle (Outside) where it's literally too quiet or like...The Roost?
Those ones are more an issue of the intros being very quiet before the more louder parts start playing. I'm thinking more like the Smash 4 Dedede remix. And to an extent, the Iron Blue Intention remix. But that one is more from because of it following this version of Iron Blue Intention.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Honestly the new Pokemon music was pretty underwhelming. I was hoping we would get songs from across the series, but it was just 6 from SM and 2 from ORAS. Most of these remixes are pretty good (Keyword most, looking at you Gladion) but we still only have one Johto song. Where the **** is Lance's theme? And that's before I get into spinoffs

Shroob

Sup?
Alright I'll bite. What does Aurelion Sol actually do?

his main source of damage is a passive proximity "shield" (like Leaf Shield) that he can make have a wider radius and that's about it.

Wat?
He has 3 little orbs that revolve around him that one of his skills let him expand their reach.

Almost all his damage comes from hitting your opponent with the orbs, so you gotta really learn how to angle them.

Issue is, due to the fact that they rotate around him at a distance, he has a dead zone between himself and the orbs.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
He has 3 little orbs that revolve around him that one of his skills let him expand their reach.

Almost all his damage comes from hitting your opponent with the orbs, so you gotta really learn how to angle them.

Issue is, due to the fact that they rotate around him at a distance, he has a dead zone between himself and the orbs.
Yeah Difficulty: Moderate my butt. I question how that's even good.

7NATOR

Smash Master
okay so we’ve talked about what characters we want and that we hope it doesn’t leak but I’ve gotta question to ask you all.

let’s say the last character does get leaked tomorrow. Where do you all think the leak is gonna come from. Predict where you think it’ll come from. You have to be very specific.

credit to you if you get the person or source Of where it leaks correct.
I'm sure we might have a Random 4chan leak that might predict who CP11 is, but since I assuming you mean a leak that people would pay attention before it happens, rather than after

PracticalBrush isn't around anymore it seems, Verge might still be around, but after the Chief incident, who knows if he still go for Smash, but he might still. Imran and Zhuge i think have hinted at characters before (Min Min and Steve respectfully), but unsure if they'll do the same for the Last character, perhaps same with Nate Drake. People would rag on people like Samus Hunter or Zippo

Personally though, I think Verge would likely be the one to spill the beans, but If he doesn't I doubt CP11 will leak, or at the least the Leak would be prominent before the event. I think they only way there will be a Leak that people would pay attention to before the actual video is if Nintendo messes up somehow.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Alright I'll bite. What does Aurelion Sol actually do?

his main source of damage is a passive proximity "shield" (like Leaf Shield) that he can make have a wider radius and that's about it.

Wat?

EDIT: Also his ultimate pushes opponents out of his passive damage range...What?
Basically, he's got the meteors (which also make him immediately obvious in a brush, hence the hide-and-seek joke), plus a projectile that increases in range when he's near it (and stuns when detonated), a dash that lets him glide over walls so he can follow the projectile (if you see Aurelion gameplay you'll see a lot of people do this) and a toggle that lets him expand and contract that ring of meteors around him at will.

And yeah, the big push Ult. It also stuns or slows targets depending on where they are in relation to the ring's limit.

Like Shroob said, he's got a high skill floor and isn't that fun to watch in the field, but I remember a time when he did decently well in competitive.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
73 users with 96 guests. Welcome all to this speculation thread. I hope you all enjoy the speculation you see if you’re a guest here. I don’t think there’s ever been as many here before.

Shroob

Sup?
Basically, he's got the meteors (which also make him immediately obvious in a brush, hence the hide-and-seek joke), plus a projectile that increases in range when he's near it (and stuns when detonated), a dash that lets him glide over walls so he can follow the projectile (if you see Aurelion gameplay you'll see a lot of people do this) and a toggle that lets him expand and contract that ring of meteors around him at will.

And yeah, the big push Ult. It also stuns or slows targets depending on where they are in relation to the ring's limit.

Like Shroob said, he's got a high skill floor and isn't that fun to watch in the field, but I remember a time when he did decently well in competitive.
But we all know the truth.

Invest in Mundo. Mundo is good. Mundo is great.

SKX31

Smash Master
Aurelion Sol

A character soo complex he has a less than 1% pick rate and they keep nerfing him anyway.
To be clear here, he is a Support Champion. The very "handhold-esque" type too. So I wouldn't say too big of a chance.

But man, the guy is wholesome. I think people would unironically love an animated series about him.
Why am I getting the weirdest sense of deja vu by both of these posts. Oh wait Dota 2 also has an Aurelion Sol in the form of Visage, although he's more micro-intensive.

Re: Aurelion: That's not a problem exclusive to League or MOBAs - any character with a complex and / or impopular kits can run into that issue because those characters tend to become a fine balancing act. Developers generally don't want those characters to become too much of a problem either on a Serious Business level - otherwise they might be defining entire playstyles; or on a more casual level since then those kinds of characters risk becoming a massive snowball that casual players don't know how to stop. The best Smash example I can think of are the :ulticeclimbers: since they kinda fit both criteria.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, he does magic damage, and he has a stun.

He's a very hard to play and comprehend character, but a good Aurelion is terrifying.
Well as a certified "click all the buttons" guy I can safely say he is no longer my favorite. Forget the fighter reveal, this is the most disappointing thing to happen this week.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...plus a projectile that increases in range when he's near it (and stuns when detonated), a dash that lets him glide over walls so he can follow the projectile (if you see Aurelion gameplay you'll see a lot of people do this)...
Wait it goes across the entire map, remote detonated, and gets bigger in proximity to him?

That is...not at all how they described it...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If they were to do a Porky Means Business remix, I'd definitely want them to avoid making the transitions too seamless. They work perfectly as jarring hard cuts.
This may be an unpopular take but I think that a lot of SNES era music remixes don't get what makes the music on that console so good. The composition for the best songs on the console takes into account how the samples sound and the structure of the songs take advantage of that among other things. Remixes try to work around those limitations rather than embrace them as part of the song and end up coming off a bit more lifeless than the original. People at all familiar with the music of Mega Man X and the remixes that were in the PSP remake should really be aware of this.

Speaking of that game in particular though, whoever did the arrangement of the opening stage in Ultimate ****ing killed it. Bar none the best remix of that track I've ever heard in an official release.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If they were to do a Porky Means Business remix, I'd definitely want them to avoid making the transitions too seamless. They work perfectly as jarring hard cuts.
I hope they'd work the first part's melody into the second part since it's really repetitive.

listens to it again

Wait no it's not. Why did I think that before...I mean, I was expecting something more along the lines of this when I first heard it but still.

On a...less weird note about my experience with this song, I actually did get jump scared by the metal part since I was just listening to EarthBound music in general and didn't know about this song. lol

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
As long as the last DLC character doesn't become the Bayonetta of Smash Ultimate I will be fine. Hopefully we get a few more balance patches after them but, we will see.

Still hoping for a first party but there are very few characters at this point I would say I don't specifically want to see.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Why am I getting the weirdest sense of deja vu by both of these posts. Oh wait Dota 2 also has an Aurelion Sol in the form of Visage, although he's more micro-intensive.

Re: Aurelion: That's not a problem exclusive to League or MOBAs - any character with a complex and / or impopular kits can run into that issue because those characters tend to become a fine balancing act. Developers generally don't want those characters to become too much of a problem either on a Serious Business level - otherwise they might be defining entire playstyles; or on a more casual level since then those kinds of characters risk becoming a massive snowball that casual players don't know how to stop. The best Smash example I can think of are the :ulticeclimbers: since they kinda fit both criteria.
Probably, yeah. Champions like that are probably meant to be played in a very specific way, unlike more generalist ones.

Wait it goes across the entire map, remote detonated, and gets bigger in proximity to him?

That is...not at all how they described it...
Oh, no, no. Maybe I didn't explain it properly. The star he throws out grows a bit bigger as long as it's within the outer limits of Aurelion's meteor ring. It detonates when colliding with enemies or manually with a recast. So no, it doesn't go acros the whole map and doesn't have to be remotely detonated.

Well as a certified "click all the buttons" guy I can safely say he is no longer my favorite. Forget the fighter reveal, this is the most disappointing thing to happen this week.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.
Then perhaps I can interest you in the word of our lord and savior Aphelios? As in, the Champion that even professional LoL casters couldn't fully understand for a while after he came out? And who has an ammunition meter, only two active abilities, a unique HUD and a passive divided into like 6 parts? :roll:

MarioKartRenderOwner

Smash Cadet
I skipped every single newcomer day so I might aswell do them all. all, before the end here

:ultinkling:: Inkling is a weird character for me in that you'd have to be an absolute Buffon to both think they don't DESERVE to be AND thought they WOULDN'T be, they were realistically, the single most deserving newcomer for this game, nintendo has already begun to promote splatoon as one of their top brands right now, it regularly gets merched and placed alongside big hitters like Mario and Zelda. The downside of this is they weren't even like, a little exciting to me, I knew they were coming, everyone did, and they came and played pretty much exactly how I expected them to play, which again not a bad thing, they just weren't. Traditionally exciting to me, but they function as they should and that's really all that matters are the end of the day. My only true negative with inkling is I do not like a single remix from them in this game, I feel as if Splatoon music was already so unique it's hard to remix it in a way that'll be more interesting than what it already was

:ultridley:: Never been much of a metroid person like ever but objectively Ridley was an exciting character. I'm found of having more "beastly" characters in smash, there's really no one else in this game that covers that "just unbelievably evil and ruthless" air of Ridley, he's an absolute monster, I'm a big fan of his reveal trailer depicting him more as a blight on the game rather than a big newcomer who's come to join the fray and fight along, ridley is here and he will cause damage to anything and anyone

:ultdaisy:: I actually really like daisy, she's usually among my top choices for character picks whenever she's in a mario game as a playable character, I also think she's cute but that's besides the point, Daisy in smash is really cool i'm glad she's in, but I wish she was a bit more. different? I feel like daisy doesn't 100% fit peach's mold as a character, like her Toad attack could've been a mario land enemy or just something, she's one of the most "Alt costume" feeling echo fighters, glad she's here but wish she was a bit different

:ultrichter:/:ultsimon:: I don't feel any particular need to separate these two as a "non castlevania mega fan" as I feel about the same about them, they're good! they're fun! I like them both, I lean a bittttt more towards simon because I think he's huge chunk of meat barbarian thing is really fun in the world of smash but Richter is a dreamboat no denying that. In terms of playstyle they're fun once in a whiles for me, I feel like i'll never ever be good with them literally ever but they're fun to play with they got a lot of fun tools

:ultchrom:: I will just be completely honest I forget Chrom is in this game a lot, this isn't because I think he's bad I'm just
1. Not a FE person
2. Don't play him ever
3. No one I play with plays as him ever
Chrom exists to me, not as a negative, i'd say ultimately I lean towards positive on Chrom he just isn't someone i'm constantly thinking about, if at all

:ultdarksamus:: Really glad metroid characters all have the shared theme of "absolutely ruthless monster characters" Dark Samus is a really cool echo pick, they're literally just from like 1 game so it's cool they thought back to this, in the grand scheme of nintendo as a whole, slightly more niche character and made them a full character, obv. they're just an echo and that means they can't be fully dark samus but it's a real good like, show of good faith towards metroid pick I think, usually pick dark samus over regular Samus

:ultkrool:: alright. put the kids to bed, it's time for the ADULTS to talk. King K Rool? that's my guy, literal number 1 smash want of all time and who got it? me. I WON. i win. jokes aside yes King K Rool was my number 1 smash want literally ever, Donkey Kong is my favorite nintendo franchise and I always thought it was super underloved in smash(it took 3 games for dk to get an assist trophy i mean C'MON) so getting King K Rool? that was a "i will never need anything ever again" moment for me, King K Rool in smash is everything I could've wanted and literally more, I'm already a weirdo who likes heavy characters a lot, so I was gonna win no matter what but I think K Rool is a blast to play as, objectively he sucks, i acknowledge he's low tier, but I simply do not care, playing as K rool is soooo much fun to me, I love this character! the single happiest this game has made me

:ultisabelle:: ok i take back what I said about Chrom Isabelle is the biggest "I forget they're in this constantly" character. Perhaps some of it is I have become mega burnt out on isabelle as a character, i'm part of the dreaded "man new horizon really soured me on this character" camp, I just think she's like. Patronizing now, idk does that make sense? probably not. I don't love her moveset either, it feels like villager with all the fun parts of villager removed like the gyroid flying or the tree, I do not HATE isabelle at all, i'm an adult I don't feel rage over a cartoon dog, but I do not care about her that much either

:ultken:: Ken is an """echo""" fighter, I say it that way because he verges on being like, a wolf tier clone in some areas and has helped create the weird blur between what an echo even is, that aside, ken's cool, I don't play ryu a ton already because i'm incredibly pea-brained but between ryu and ken I usually chose Ken, I like his attitude a bit more, he's got....flair

:ultincineroar:: i would never think thinking "positive" on a character would be controversial but, I think incineroar was a far more interesting choice than deciduye, I think incineroar is a blast, both animation wise and I love big powerful dudes in platformer fighters I think they're sooooo much fun. Incineroar kinda covers a problem I had with pokemon in that the fact they don't feel like characters can make them feel. very whatever to me, but Incineroar DOES have a personality and I think it adds a lot of flair to a franchise that honestly can lack it sometimes. If we HAD to get a starter pokemon character in smash i'm reall glad it was incineroar I think they're a ton of fun

:ultpiranha:: we're two for one on me liking "wasted slots" because Piranha Plant is my literal main I love piranha plant, anytime I play this game Piranha Plant is my go to, I think they're INSANELY fun, the way their moveset flows into each other just, makes sense to me? I don't know i love their stretch attack and I think spiked ball is the single most fun move in the entire game and I love finding uses for it in battle. I don't agree Piranha Plant was "just for shock" they're too well made and animated too nicely for that, they could've just plopped a character out as a joke, I think Piranha Plant was a passion project for the team, I think there's way more love in this character than people give it credit for, just because it's not the character people wanted in the game, so it HAS to be a nothing shock character

:ultjoker:: im about to impress no one after praising incineroar and piranha plant; i could not care less about joker. I actually think they're actively poorly designed in a lot of ways in terms of being a character who is just wayyyy too strong and as a "casual" i hate fighting against joker, I feel like they're a character who was given way too many options to win. I also just, don't care about Persona, i would've prefered an SMT protag easy I think that series has a wayyyy more interesting, everything really. I don't hate Joker, I do think not much of them, but again not a "i'm so mad i'll punch a wall" character, i'm an adult and this is just a "mario fight pikachu" game lol

:ulthero:: Hero's probably the single most "oh well of course they're gonna be in this game" character, like ignoring the one thousand two hundred and twelve times this character was leaked there's no way they would've skipped dragon quest, that's not a bad thing of course, Hero is a great "goof around" character I think, I don't think i'd ever be able to play this character remotely seriously because the reading is too much for me personally, but the gimmick is a LOT of fun for goof around matches. Hero's only negative is their music sucks, big time i think, I know why this is the composer of DQ is kinda. a monster, so getting the actual versions of the song was impossible, but it's a shame it happened, bandana hero best hero :ulthero2:

:ultbanjokazooie:: points at screen THAT'S ME THAT'S ME MA I'M THE SCRIMBLO MCGRUNKO LIKER!!!! jokes aside, YES I do infact, very much like Banjo Kazooie, i'm VERY glad they're in smash, it's a nice hit of dopamine seeing them in the game, seeing them with the kongs again, beautiful, beautiful stuff. I don't agree with the moveset discourse on them, It's 100% not everyone's thing for sure, but I think they're very intentional in being designed as if they could've been in smash 64 with this moveset, that's kinda what I wanted really, they're not complex characters at all, and I think that works

:ult_terry:: I knew who Terry was before smash but I didn't know him on a personal, heartfelt level, Mr.Bogard to me was not much. Post smash? love this guy, he's a total doofus, absolute himbo character, he is the prime meat of smash bros and I think that's great, this dude has drip for days, Ken is crying in his room with all the drip this guy's bringin to the table. Best music in the DLC bar none either, it's not even a competition really, only Terry has Psycho Soldier, no one else. Absolutely my favorite of the fighting game mcjoes in this

:ultbylethf:: here they are. the ""worst character in smash bros history"" and, they're fine, they're fine I think, i'd place byleth above Joker, you're free to hit me with your car if you want I probably deserve it. Three houses was a huge hit there was a non-zero chance of them not getting in. For real I think Byleth is a victim of unforunate circumstances, Corrin already created bad blood, their trailer is AWFUL(in my opinion), they were put at the end of the pack, ect. Really if we could go back in time and tell sakurai "corrin's game will be a game nobody likes that much anyway do literally anything else" i think byleth would be pretty beloved honestly

:ultminmin: I like ARMS, I like MinMin, I don't really super play either in smash but it's a good "drawing attention to ARMs" choice, what everyone else has said about this character I mostly agree with, they're not, the most amazing character on the roster, a little awkwardly designed, all that, but I'm glad she's here if nothing else, ARMs music is sexy so i'm really glad at the least we can have fights to it

:ultsteve:: hey ya'll zoomer here! I love minecraft! i AM like 12! Steve in smash is the single biggest character added to smash since like, sonic, I don't think there's literally anyway to debate this, at all. And i think they're a lot of fun, not a character I play seriously but a TON of fun for goofs, I honestly think they're way more designed to be goofy fun than super serious, and I think that's great, they're music is also BEAUTIFUL, Holland might like, actually be in my top 5 smash songs of all time it's genuinely kinda breathtaking. Steve is also interesting in how I think they demonstrate the "smash bubble" to some extent, a lot of people in speculation scenes seem really down or whatever on steve but i think there's no way to debate them being the most popular character in pack 2

:ultsephiroth:: similarly to ridley I love sephiroth as a good "just absolutely ruthless villain" character, Sephiroth just isn't an "anime swordsboy" he is THE anime swordsboy, he is the anime swordsboy all other anime swordsboy want to be. I love that, he is so indulgent in the beautiful anime villain man stuff and it's a blast i think, the shirtless alt? perfect, literally perfect, sephiroth is here, he is going to be sexy, and he is going to use his big evil sword to defeat diddy kong, and this? this is what smash is all about to me

:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:: i feel nothing.

ok well jokes aside i just don't feel anything towards these two, to be frank i think pyra is kinda ugly (no it's not the boob thing, bayonetta is sexy as hell and her boobs are big as hell and i love her i just think pyra looks ugly), they're fine otherwise, glad for xeno2 fans, I do think scoping the roster of xeno2 there's characters in this game i think look cooler like Nia and Morag, but these two? they exist i simply can not deny or debate that

:ultkazuya:: I think by the time Pyra was in I was kinda just burnt out on smash and it's discourse and i think that effected my feelings on the characters, I struggled to really care at that point. Kazuya is KINDA the same but I think Kazuya is more fun, love getting more ruthless evil dudes in smash. Kazuya isn't the most mind blowing character and i'd place them like 3rd or 2nd on my fighting game joes in smash tier list, glad they're here ultimately, won't let my burn out effect a solid character

:nessecho:: unironically the most hype announcement this entire cycle, i love undertale so much, if every single mii costume tomorrow was an undertale costume with a music track it'd be the best announcement possible

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This may be an unpopular take but I think that a lot of SNES era music remixes don't get what makes the music on that console so good. The composition for the best songs on the console takes into account how the samples sound and the structure of the songs take advantage of that among other things. Remixes try to work around those limitations rather than embrace them as part of the song and end up coming off a bit more lifeless than the original. People at all familiar with the music of Mega Man X and the remixes that were in the PSP remake should really be aware of this.
I didn't get what you were trying to say so I just looked up the soundtrack you brought up:

Ruined Highway: "I have no idea what he's talking about. This is a bange-"
Theme of Zero: "OK I dunno why they almost immediately abandoned the main melody but it's not that ba-"
Chill Penguin: "AAAAAH MY EARS!!! How did anyone think that synth at the beginning sounded good?"
Launch Octopus: "Look at how they massacred my bass...and the rest of it. Why is it all synths?"
Armoured Armadillo: "OK this is getting stupid. This is like the epitome of why I dislike Mega Man's transition to synth instead of hard rock/metal"

I don't think very many of Super Smash Bros.'s remixes are like this, but yeah, Mega Man Maverick Hunter X absolutely neutered the original game's music.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Then perhaps I can interest you in the word of our lord and savior Aphelios? As in, the Champion that even professional LoL casters couldn't fully understand for a while after he came out? And who has an ammunition meter, only two active abilities, a unique HUD and a passive divided into like 6 parts?
takes a look

Mmmnope. His appearance does not grab me.

STONKS GO UP

no really he says that in his Corporate skin
Oh yeah, that reminds me that there's a minotaur with a line that's something along the lines of:

"Need's more cowbell. More cowbell?!? What we need is better writers!"
storms off
"I'll be in my trailer."

Theguy123

Smash Lord
If you’re having a bad day just remember that whoever has access to Facebook’s servers is probably having a worse day since they’ve accidentally erased Facebook for probably forever

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If you’re having a bad day just remember that whoever has access to Facebook’s servers is probably having a worse day since they’ve accidentally erased Facebook for probably forever
i thought it was a data breach?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Y'know, people talked about doing a second E3 2018-esque "Everyone is Here" trailer...
What if that and the final fighter reveal were one in the same?
After going all the way through Mario to Kazuya, the mural goes over the cast (besides FP11), does the usual zoom out and such - before kind of zooming back in as it transitions into the mural scene but in CGI, the setting of the final fighter showing up. Though of course, exact context would have to depend on who it was.
The splash screen comes up, and as the gameplay begins, "82 [FP11's name]" shows up in the bottom-left as if continuing the initial trailer.
Then the mural gets looked over again, with its final addition being made.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
takes a look

Mmmnope. His appearance does not grab me.
What about that passive, huh? :4pacman:

Indulge me for a sec, I'm really curious about what a non-MOBA player would think of that.

Oh yeah, that reminds me that there's a minotaur with a line that's something along the lines of:

"Need's more cowbell. More cowbell?!? What we need is better writers!"
storms off
"I'll be in my trailer."
Oh, that's Alistar. If I'm not mistaken, he popularized one of the first well-known ability combos in League.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm just curious, how would you guys feel about Bill Rizer being last? In terms of general reception and how excited you would be? I feel like he'd get a good response for being both a nostalgic pick for the older crowd and a breath of fresh air with him being a run and gun rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom