• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm just curious, how would you guys feel about Bill Rizer being last? In terms of general reception and how excited you would be? I feel like he'd get a good response for being both a nostalgic pick for the older crowd and a breath of fresh air with him being a run and gun rep.
I would love it. He’s my second most wanted NES character after the Battletoads. Contra was a favorite childhood game of mine.

D

Deleted member

Man that took awhile to get through.... 15 pages... Talk about the two tweets and music. Coo coo.

Still voting for master chief

Oh yeah this just in

Hmm... It's the day before Smash's final DLC character and Facebook, along with all of their services is down..

I think I know what this means. I know our final rep. He's here to break the Mii costume fanrule once and for all.
1633378392221.png

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Huh, even the Nintendo PR director is joining in hyping everyone up for the final character. Considering he's the PR director he knows damn well what the consequences of setting expectations up are so this is interesting.
Why wouldn't Nintendo want to hype up any product they plan on selling?

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Huh, even the Nintendo PR director is joining in hyping everyone up for the final character. Considering he's the PR director he knows damn well what the consequences of setting expectations up are so this is interesting.
Setting expectations up? Did he just leaked CP11...?

He's ****ing IN

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nintendo's PR team knows "damn well" the consequences and they have proven time and again that they don't give a damn.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh, that's Alistar. If I'm not mistaken, he popularized one of the first well-known ability combos in League.
With a very cursory glance, it actually looks perfectly reasonable. It looks to me like he's just Robin, but with a stance switch mechanic, so you'll always want to be making the most out of the stances you pick.

I can see how having something in the ballpark of 21 combinations of main and offhand skills could be overwhelming though.

EDIT: I should note that you're talking to someone who plays Guild Wars 2 where weapon swapping is a major mechanic for most classes (and the ones that don't have other ways of swapping in skill sets), so this style of play in particular is pretty easy for me to fathom.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
With a very cursory glance, it actually looks perfectly reasonable. It looks to me like he's just Robin, but with a stance switch mechanic, so you'll always want to be making the most out of the stances you pick.

I can see how having something in the ballpark of 21 combinations of main and offhand skills could be overwhelming though.

EDIT: I should note that you're talking to someone who plays Guild Wars 2 where weapon swapping is a major mechanic for most classes (and the ones that don't have other ways of swapping in skill sets), so this style of play in particular is pretty easy for me to fathom.
Yeah, but remember, he's the ranged carry.

If you die, your teamfight goes to ****.

So no pressure. :4pacman:

Trevenant

Smash Lord

Eh, they'd hype it up regardless. That and it is a personal account so I doubt it has any actual implication aside from your typical PR response stuff.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Why wouldn't Nintendo want to hype up any product they plan on selling?
This tactic is just out of the norm for them. Usually they don't leak out their own excitement like this on their own personal social media accounts. Hence why I'm a bit intrigued. This is reminding me of when Bill Trinen hinted at how Snake might return to Smash just a day or so before E3 2018 on his own personal Twitter account.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Also keep in mind, each of the weapons has a separate passive and active skill, and depending on the combination, they basically prock each other.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Well Guild Wars 2's Elementalist allows you to swap between:
  • Fire (Damage)
  • Water (Healing & Support)
  • Air (Crowd Control)
  • Earth (Protection; I.E. Support, but different)
Which changes all of your weapon skills (of which there are 5) and also can conjure a few different weapons that also give you a new set of weapon skills (though these aren't mandatory). The Tempest Elite Specialization has the elements combine based on which order you click them in.

Also you're by far the squishiest class in the entire game by far and all of their good options are melee to kinda midranged which means if you're not good, you just die. No pressure indeed. :4pacman:

EDIT: Oh, also their available weapon combos are:
  • Staff
  • Hammer (The new Elite Specialization only)
  • Dagger/Dagger
  • Dagger/Focus
  • Dagger/Warhorn (Tempest only)
  • Scepter/Dagger
  • Scepter/Focus
  • Scepter/Warhorn (Tempest only)
  • Sword/Dagger (Weaver only)
  • Sword/Focus (Weaver only)

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Well Guild Wars 2's Elementalist allows you to swap between:
  • Fire (Damage)
  • Water (Healing & Support)
  • Air (Crowd Control)
  • Earth (Protection; I.E. Support, but different)
Which changes all of your weapon skills (of which there are 5) and also can conjure a few different weapons that also give you a new set of weapon skills (though these aren't mandatory). The Tempest Elite Specialization has the elements combine based on which order you click them in.

Also you're by far the squishiest class in the entire game by far and all of their good options are melee to kinda midranged which means if you're not good, you just die. No pressure indeed. :4pacman:
earth didnt had too much support but conditions if i recall correctly. (bleed)

So...CP11 is Rytlock Brimstone then?

7NATOR

Smash Master
I need to do Pyra/Mythra and Kazuya, So I'll do that now

-When I first saw the Trailer, I went back to watching it with Interest. I knew it was Smash due to the "Not gameplay footage" thing, and the weird structure of the Trailer

Pyra/Mythra and no Rex was a little surprising, but they had some Flashy moves in the Trailer, so I thought I wait and see what they were about on Release

I think I played them for like a Day and then I went back to Playing Sephiroth. I wasn't really into them, and I came up with some of the reasons why

-They felt too BrainDead. I think Compared to someone like Sephiroth who requires finesse to Play, with Pyra/Mythra I just felt like I was throwing Hitbox around, because Mythra has Fast frame data, and Pyra just has Range. Granted I Like to play Cloud, and people say he is Braindead and just throws Hitboxes around, so that can't be it

-I don't like Playing Mythra much. She feels like Playing Shiek and that's not good for me because I'm not into Shiek like that. I like that Mythra is Flashy with her Special moves, That she has the Lightsaber sound effect when using her moves (Unfortunately, it's mostly present when Whiffing Moves, not when actually hitting), and that she's Easier to play and Kill with than Shiek, but she stills feel too weak in how her Hits connect, and it doesn't jive.

-I think the Main thing for me is that I think Pyra/Mythra lack Swag. They have Flashy Moves, but I feel like when I'm witnessing their Power, I don't feel their essence in how they Swing their Sword

Cloud and Especially Sephiroth for example have Swag when they Swing their Sword. Cloud is straight to the Point, but you can tell he's putting himself and his Soul into every move he does. When he does a Flashy anime looking move like Cross Slash, I can feel Cloud doing it, I can feel the Mako Energy and Jenova cells he has in him to be able to do all of that. I could look at Climhazard All Day, and it just has Cloud going up and Down, but I like the way Cloud moves when he does, how Confident he looks, and also how it sounds even something has Simple his Aerials Showcase not just Efficiency and quickness, but also I feel Like Cloud puts his all into each hit he does. This also is accompanied by some Amazing Buster Sword Sound effects.

And I don't even have to get into Sephiroth, Sephiroth just oozes character through every bit of Animation he does. It's not just Power he oozes, but also Divine power at his Disposal, it's just Amazing to watch

And this isn't just with other Swordfighters, it's with Alot of other Fighters. Falcon is a prime example, but Ganondorf, despite still having Essence of Falcon in him, Oozes his own Big, Meaty, evil Power every time he hits you and every time he moves.

I feel like with Pyra/Mythra, it's their Power that's moving them to attack, I don't think it's Pyra/Mythra themselves that move their power to Attack and such. I feel like they are too Casual with how they swing their Attacks, and unlike someone like Sephiroth who does it because he only needs to use a fraction of his Power, It does feel like Pyra/Mythra are putting their all into this, but It feels contradicted by the actual moves they do. I think the Sound effects especially are not up to Par, especially with Mythra

I think that's why I'm not too much into the Characters. I can still play with them from time for time, but despite seeming like my type of Characters at first glance, I'm just not into them like that

The stage does look nice though, and they brought some good music. I also like their Character models, Not because they are Sexy or anything, but I just think they look nice. They bring that Anime Aesthetic and it's done really well

---------------------

Kazuya on the Other hand is something else. I always thought Kazuya and/or Jin would represent Heihachi Better than Tekken because they have the Devil Gene, and the Devil Gene is an Important part of Tekken. I just thought they would choose Heihachi not only because that was the character considered for Smash 4 and got the Mii costume, but I believe Heihachi (along with Kuma) is Harada's Favorite character. I'm also not really into Heihachi like that either, I much prefer Kazuya and Jin/Devil Jin

I'm so Glad to be proven wrong. when I saw the Lava I knew it was Tekken, but when I saw the Eye glow is when I knew it was Kazuya. I probably should have recognized it by the Music, but it's whatever

I like the Atmosphere of Kazuya's trailer and some of the Shots. My personal favorite is the one with Kazuya and K.Rool recreating the Famous Kazuya and Jin fisting Shot over the Bandai Namco logo, It's not gonna feel the same with that lifeless looking logo though

When I play any Tekken Game, Kazuya is one of the Main characters I use, and it was great to watch the amount of moves Sakurai was able to fit in.

So when I finally got my Hands on Him, it felt even better to actually play as him in Smash. It did take getting used to, but once the Connection between Tekken and Smash was felt, It was that Same excitement I felt when Playing Sephiroth.

Kazuya feels like a Blend of Little Mac and Ganondorf, and that's perfect. He has the Damage and Brutality of Ganon, with the Grounded and Martial arts nature of Little Mac (and also Super Armor). Little Mac was my Main in Smash 4, but to be honest, I felt a little out of favor with him in Ultimate not only because Ultimate is much more Aerial focused, but they also nerfed his Down tilt and took away some Combo Potential, and that's no good. I like Ganondorf in Ultimate and he was my First Main in this game, but Kazuya has more variety he can do in this game.

While Kazuya shares some of the Same Weakness like Stubbiness, trouble with Airbone opponents, and Slow movement and Frame data. I feel Like Kazuya has a Way to better negate all of that than the other too. I also like that Kazuya can do deep for Edgeguards because he can actually recover far. Also I like that Laser is actually useful in this game, unlike many of the other Tekken Games.

He also has a Learning curve to explore, like with the Wavedashing and EWGF and just general Combos. I have to say that landing the EWGF and especially landing EWGF combos is probably among the most fun I have had with this game. It's just so satisfying to land that move, especially consistently. It doesn't feel the best when I don't get the timing, or I misinput moves, but it's whatever, it can take away from the Fun time I have playing Kazuya

One other thing that Kazuya has actually did is Make me play Little Mac more as a character, which I'm glad I'm doing, and also even have a better time at playing the Other FGC characters, or more specifically Ryu. I think I'm having a Easier and better time playing Ryu thanks to Playing Kazuya

I like the Stage, but I think the structure of the Stage normally is Very Closed in and Wonky. The Background is beautiful though. I'm very happy and Disappointed with the Tekken Music, Happy because the Music is very Awesome and such, but Disappointed because I wish there were more of the Boss Themes and other Miscellaneous tracks included, and they also messed up the Looping on the Tekken Tag Opening Song. Not good

Sephiroth and Kazuya have Definitely been my Favorite Newcomers added in Ultimate, no less than DLC. with that being said I have gotten enjoyment of the other Newcomers in Ultimate, and even if Certain characters aren't really for me, I can find something to like about the character. I hope Shadow CP11 though because that would be Surreal in the best way possible for me

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

What "consquences"

It's gonna sell millions anyway

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I just want to let people know that they shouldn't over-speculate. Just keep your expectations low and don't hope for someone like Sora (though that'd be obvious), Doom Protagonist, Master Chief, the works.
I am. I think that the likes of Master Chief, Sora, etc. are too big to reveal in a small little Sakurai Presents.

SKX31

Smash Master
Well as a certified "click all the buttons" guy I can safely say he is no longer my favorite. Forget the fighter reveal, this is the most disappointing thing to happen this week.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.
Dota 2 has several such characters: one of them - Meepo - almost becomes an RTS within a MOBA since he requires microing fully functional clones of himself. He can snowball entire games since both him and his clones can gain XP and gold independently of each other and "pool" it all to the main hero (the clones can also level up), but if the original or one of the clones dies they all die. Invoker is very popular, but he has an atypical system where the three ordinary spell keys control reagants that are used to invoke on of his 10 spells (he has two slots for those spells). Invokers usually combo 2 or more spells (as long as his mana pool allows, that's a real limiting factor) and create massive AoE carnage. One of his spells - Sunstrike, basically an orbital cannon that can be targeted all over the map - is even upgradeable to Cataclysm, which spams Sunstrikes all over a certain place.

Visage is a skeletal dragon whose three normal spells are rather ordinary (slow spell that transfers the victim's speed to him, burst spell whose damage is dependent on how much damage's been dealt in the vicinity recently, layers of extra damage protection that can regen) - but his Ultimate summons fully controllable Familiars and are best micro'd for all sorts of purposes. Including additional AoE stuns.

And Oracle is probably the most confusing healer that exists in any game. Because his healing / damage dealing etc. is "click all the buttons. As much as you can. But be careful so you don't do the wrong combo / wrong spell on wrong target."

If Sgt. Cortez gets revealed tomorrow I'm going to ascend.
Heh, right on.

You got a robot from a different time period with you?

What "consquences"

It's gonna sell millions anyway
I mean, that extra push helps a lot regardless of who it is since he's helping to spread the message and make sure viewers tune in for the Presentation.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I am. I think that the likes of Master Chief, Sora, etc. are too big to reveal in a small little Sakurai Presents.
You would have said they're too big to reveal in a small little general Direct too. To quote somebody else...

CHOO CHOO

I don't actually care that much who it is but this is fun, leave me alone.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Steve is bigger than virtually every Smash character, and he was revealed in a mystery presentation.

Granted that was also in the midst of the pandemic where there wasn't really an outright Direct to stick him in, but Nintendo also had Partner Showcases that they didn't feel like revealing him in either, despite easily being able to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom