• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Speaking of bad remixes, I still don't feel right they combined Bloody Tears with Monster Dance.
I mean, they both play during the same situation but depend on day and night, which feels like the song transitions to night and day. Makes sense and it makes them both less repetitive as a result

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
While we're bashing Smash remixes, I have to say I'm disappointed in the Tekken remixes. The Karma remix skips all of the build up of the original while the bit they kept sounds inferior anyway and the Moonsiders 1st remix suffers a lot from a lack of bass. I'll give them credit for the Emotionless Passion remix though as it sounds like what I would expect from a modern version of the song and while I prefer the arcade original, it still gets a listen from me every so often.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Speaking of bad remixes, I still don't feel right they combined Bloody Tears with Monster Dance.
I dunno about the decision to mix the two (still don't know where Monster Dance is from) but I think the composition itself is really good.

Unpopular opinion: I don't like the Gangplank Galleon remix. It honestly feels overtly exaggerated when compared to the more true-to-source Brawl remix.
Isn't that kind of the point though? The song is like "hey everybody, K. Rool is here!" and then everyone throws a party. Or actually I wouldn't be surprised if this is the kind of thing that King K. Rool would load up on a jukebox and stroll in to make a grand entrance. lol

And also, the remix from Super Smash Bros. Brawl already exists. You wouldn't really want to just do the same thing right?

ID Purpose and Guile's Theme appear

What? I said you wouldn't want to not that it doesn't happen!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
While we're bashing Smash remixes, I have to say I'm disappointed in the Tekken remixes. The Karma remix skips all of the build up of the original while the bit they kept sounds inferior anyway and the Moonsiders 1st remix suffers a lot from a lack of bass. I'll give them credit for the Emotionless Passion remix though as it sounds like what I would expect from a modern version of the song and while I prefer the arcade original, it still gets a listen from me every so often.
At least the Kazuya remix is good. It's the only one I would genuinely want to listen to on its own (well, of the remixes, there are about 2 other tracks that they added that I also like).

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507
I dunno about the decision to mix the two (still don't know where Monster Dance is from) but I think the composition itself is really good.
Monster Dance is from Simon's Quest, when the night cycle starts.

I mean, they both play during the same situation but depend on day and night, which feels like the song transitions to night and day. Makes sense and it makes them both less repetitive as a result
idk other Castlevania games made Bloody Tears remixes and they don't sound repetitive at all. The only concern is Monster Dance but I think they could come up with a great remix. Even then Bloody Tears is an iconic Castlevania song but the only version it's mixed with Monster Dance.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I won't say this one is bad per se, but...King Dedede's theme is my jam. Kind Dedede's Theme Ver. 2 is like...wut? I mean, I get the point of it but like...wut?

And I genuinely like a lot of Okami's music so I don't think it's me just hating Japanese style music.

It's also kind of funny we've never gotten a King Dedede/Masked Dedede track yet.

EDIT: Or even Masked Dedede in general since its as iconic as the original.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's an idea for tomorrow before 10. Given we did a lookback at all the DLC characters. How about doing the same for the base game newcomers?

:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar:

Just an idea and a mean to help kill time for when it hits 10 tomorrow.

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507
It's also kind of funny we've never gotten a King Dedede/Masked Dedede track yet.
For a long time I though Masked Dedede's theme was an unlockable song and I spent many hours f*****ng around in WoL trying to find it and completing all the challenges. What a letdown.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
JustNo's, formerly LAA9000 with no Premium status to allow for a name change, Smash Ultimate Newcomer Retrospective
Part 3: Fighters Pass vol. 2 so far

I don't like to point fingers, but I don't think it's a coincidence that I started to lose interest in Smash Ultimate during the ARMS guessing game. Being told back in March that the next Smash fighter would be one of 15 relatively samey characters and we'd have to wait three months to see who it was was possibly the worst way to handle a Smash reveal. It certainly doesn't help that these were all from a 2017 Nintendo game that not many people cared about anymore, and the one chosen was easy to single out due to being the most popular, but at least it gave rise to the notion of DLC being able to 'fix' content that the base game lacked. I accept Min Min mostly because Spring Man should've ideally been playable in the base game if not for unfortunate timing.
Min Min as a Smash fighter is certainly unique. I don't believe that extendable arms are an inherent problem for balance in Smash - if Dhalsim can get away with it in Street Fighter, why can't Min Min get away with it in Smash? …Because, unlike Dhalsim, her ARMS are disjoints that are near-impossible to beat out. I don't think too many Min Min mains would mind if they were given hurtboxes in a balance patch or future Smash game - if the latter, they'd be much more concerned about the possibility of her returning at all.
After two consecutive first-party characters from games I didn't play, I fell into the pit of resignation, and expected most future DLC fighters to be much more low-key first-party picks like Cinderace or Rex. As my hope died down... Minecraft in Smash happened. I was promptly taken back to my prime days of loving Minecraft, of seeing various Steve in Smash concepts and thinking 'that actually sounds awesome', and realised that this blocky boy was the closest I'd ever had to a most wanted Smash character. I freaked out upon hearing those mob sound effects, witnessed his moveset and animations be everything I wanted them to be, checked on social media's opinions only to learn that it crashed Twitter, and overall rejoiced that the biggest game of all time had been accepted into this triumph of a gaming crossover. That is a Thursday afternoon I will forever cherish.
His gameplay, as I previously touched upon, is most of what I envisioned it as. It captures the essence and quirks of Minecraft, suitably adapts them into Smash and provides a lot more than your average Smash character, easily making him worth the DLC asking price. However, I don't like his ability to camp below the ledge, nor do I like how overcentralising Minecart is, and I'd like both adjusted in the future. I also don't understand why player-proportioned Zombie and Enderman are alternate costumes - they should've either made every costume from 3-8 a different mob, or kept them as Steve and Alex alts.
The rest of the content is good, other than the music selection. We may never know why C418's compositions never made it. Despite those criticisms, this is my favourite Challenger Pack as a whole, solely for putting Minecraft into Super Smash Bros.
As I was ready to go to sleep and watch the Smash reveal at The Game Awards 2020 the next morning, I checked social media one last time and... got Sephiroth in Smash spoiled, to which I thought 'another FF7 character instead of a new franchise like Kingdom Hearts or Tomb Raider?!' Admittedly, had I watched the trailer live, my initial reaction would've been more positive. In an ideal world, the songs and Spirits that Sephiroth's Challenger Pack brought would've been in the base game, eliminating the need for another FF7 character as DLC. This isn't an ideal world, however, and sacrifices have to be made.
That doesn't change how awesome Sephiroth and Northern Cave are. I never gravitated towards long range, slow frame data zoners before Sephiroth released. Maybe it's his place as a DLC fighter I paid for encouraging me to get my money's worth from him; maybe it's his Winged Form being arguably super broken. Whatever it is, Sephiroth feels so good, and I want to play him more whenever I have the motivation to play Smash. Northern Cave is an excellent stage that I want to replace Kalos Pokemon League in all tournaments, solely for the vastly superior music selection (sadly, it runs the risk of getting streams DMCAd).
My opinions on these two getting in are the same as those on Min Min. Their gameplay, though, couldn't be more different. While Min Min is a pure zoner who attempts to redefine what it means to be a Smash fighter, the Aegis reuses the previous concept of a mode-switch fighter and refines it to create a flashy duo of semi-passive zoning and pure rushdown. These two are fun as hell, and that's all they need to be in my book.
Did they need to spoil Pneuma on the Spirit Board, though? Why is Smash so inconsistent with spoilers that it kept the name Terrako a secret during the Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Spirit Event, then dropped that with the next Challenger Pack?
His reveal probably got the least reaction out of me. I was an avid Sol Badguy supporter at the time, and with Kazuya in the game I was a bit upset that he was no longer likely. At the same time, I recognised that Tekken is very deserving of having a Smash fighter, and was presumably an easy inclusion negotiations-wise due to Bandai Namco developing Smash Ultimate.
Now that he's released, I similarly appreciate that he's in the game and how many unique mechanics he has, but for whatever reason am not gravitated towards him like I was with the other DLC fighters. Maybe it's his noticeably steeper learning curve compared to other fighters; maybe it's leftover salt from accepting that Sol's probably not going to be in Smash. I did very much enjoy seeing how Tekken's gameplay was translated into Smash, given that I've played Tekken 7 for 8 hours on a copy that I won in a giveaway that I still haven't told my parents about.
That's it for the retrospective so far. I'll have one last post on this thread up later tonight or tomorrow morning. One last post in the last moments of Ultimate speculation. Those feelings from yesterday are coming back.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, the biggest disappointment with Ultimate's remixes isn't the remixes themselves, but rather how they were distributed between the franchises. Some are extremely lopsided compared to others.

I get that the team loves certain franchises a lot, but why cram in so many Castlevania, Mega Man, and FE remixes when you can see that Star Fox, WarioWare, and Yoshi are limited to either one or zero remixes. It's like some franchises are just copy-and-pasted from Smash 4 while others get remixes from both new and old titles. Makes you feel like you were forgotten about if you happen to be a fan of one of those series.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Whoa, wait a minute. What is happening here?!

votes for Terry, thinking no one would vote for Terry's presentation

has the most votes

I know my reasons for it, but I'm curious why everyone else has voted it so highly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, this has probably been talked about already, but Sakurai has seemingly made a Twitter to the Japanese audience exclusively.

"In just one day, the last fighter of Smash Bros. Ultimate will be announced," said Sakurai. "Even if you don't play the game, if you're interested in gaming I'd like to recommend you watch it. "The new fighter may be a character that you don't know or different from what you expected. But I hope you enjoy the broadcast itself and I had fun recording it.""
Like, it was in Japanese and non-translated, and it doesn't have an English version yet. Makes it sound like he's speaking specifically to the Japanese gaming audience.

Japanese audience may not know the character? Hmm, if only there was a game that is mostly a Western success and has done horribly in Japan for a while now, but we know Sakurai loves the series. What could that be, hmm?

If it turns out to be right, remember that I said Chief was in the lead for a while now, even when you all said he wasn't happening because X Y and Z reason that really wasn't justified.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Honestly, the biggest disappointment with Ultimate's remixes isn't the remixes themselves, but rather how they were distributed between the franchises. Some are extremely lopsided compared to others.

I get that the team loves certain franchises a lot, but why cram in so many Castlevania, Mega Man, and FE remixes when you can see that Star Fox, WarioWare, and Yoshi are limited to either one or zero remixes. It's like some franchises are just copy-and-pasted from Smash 4 while others get remixes from both new and old titles. Makes you feel like you were forgotten about if you happen to be a fan of one of those series.
Because CastleVania, Mega Man and Fire Emblem music slaps, next question

Theguy123

Smash Lord
okay so we’ve talked about what characters we want and that we hope it doesn’t leak but I’ve gotta question to ask you all.

let’s say the last character does get leaked tomorrow. Where do you all think the leak is gonna come from. Predict where you think it’ll come from. You have to be very specific.

credit to you if you get the person or source Of where it leaks correct.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You say that as if the other franchises I listed don't have songs that slap.

In WarioWare's case, the Ashley remix in Brawl played a huge part in her boost in popularity.
The only slapping Yoshi music does is physical
2b7cc0bfdaacaa50ba9af5df360d5e8ada063f77b90f8c8a942eeb0387867a17_1.jpg

You telling me you approve of this? You make me sick

osby

Smash Obsessed

Because Sakurai has a personal vendetta against Star Fox, WarioWare, and Yoshi fans and he actively wants to annoy them in particular.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But enough of the negativity, here are my favorite tracks from each DLC character:
  • Piranha Plant: Wait you didn't come with music.
  • Joker: Aria of the Soul.
  • Hero: I-erm, hmm...
  • Banjo & Kazooie: Uuuuuuuh...Gun to my head, Gobi's Valley.
  • Terry: Psycho Soldier Theme (Overseas Version).
  • Byleth: The Edge of Dawn (Seasons of Warfare).
  • Min Min: Um...ARMS Grand Prix Final Battle? It's sooo hard to decide.
  • Steve: Halland/Dalarna
  • Sephiroth: I think Advent: One Winged Angel
  • Pyra/Mythra: I think I'm gonna have to give it to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Medley since I'm not as big a fan of things like You Will Recall Our Names, the area themes are amazing, and they didn't butcher any of them.
  • Kazuya: Kazuya Mishima, Devil Kazuya

Trevenant

Smash Lord
TBH it's unlikely it'll leak tomorrow. Byleth was a ridiculously well kept secret who was announced in an identical way to this presentation, so much so that the leaks literally were built around Byleth, as they were just listing names of characters it wasn't. And I'm glad for that since we're like 3/4 of a day from the reveal lol so I'd rather not even discuss the possibilities of leaks.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Those remixes are godly, but i agree they should have been separated.

If they REALLY wanted to Mash-Up those 2 songs, they could have made Bloody Tears sound in the style of CV4/Rondo of Blood, which is slower and more up to Monster Dance's pace, making the transition less abrupt:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Here's probably a hot take and a half: I'm not a fan of Jungle Level, and any super faithful renditions of it (unless there's a track I'm forgetting). I think it takes too long to get to the point and then it's over as soon as it takes off.
I actually really like the rendition from Tropical Freeze (Swinger Flinger) even though it's the definition of "takes a while to start up". I'm just a sucker for brass I guess.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Whoa, wait a minute. What is happening here?!

votes for Terry, thinking no one would vote for Terry's presentation

has the most votes

I know my reasons for it, but I'm curious why everyone else has voted it so highly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, this has probably been talked about already, but Sakurai has seemingly made a Twitter to the Japanese audience exclusively.

Like, it was in Japanese and non-translated, and it doesn't have an English version yet. Makes it sound like he's speaking specifically to the Japanese gaming audience.

Japanese audience may not know the character? Hmm, if only there was a game that is mostly a Western success and has done horribly in Japan for a while now, but we know Sakurai loves the series. What could that be, hmm?

If it turns out to be right, remember that I said Chief was in the lead for a while now, even when you all said he wasn't happening because X Y and Z reason that really wasn't justified.
I think that Master Chief is too big for a Sakurai Presents reveal. I'm expecting a lesser known character, possibly even a first party.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I'm frankly still salty over the selection of Street fighter music.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I think that Master Chief is too big for a Sakurai Presents reveal. I'm expecting a lesser known character, possibly even a first party.
Also, Doom Guy would also fall under this, as his series does horribly in Japan as well. EDIT: It falls under my statement of being unknown by the Japanese gaming audience.

However, if it's an unknown 1st Party...well...

I call this if what you say is right.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
View attachment 333040
You telling me you approve of this? You make me sick
Most of Woolly World's soundtrack is great.

New Island's music wasn't good, but that doesn't make the rest of the great music in the series go away.

Because Sakurai has a personal vendetta against Star Fox, WarioWare, and Yoshi fans and he actively wants to annoy them in particular.
It's a genuine complaint that I'd like to see them fix going forward.

Yes, I get that there's far more franchises in Smash than there was back in Brawl, but it still stings to be a fan of one of these franchises, speculate which remixes you might see, and then purchase the game only to find out that there really isn't anything new aside from a few new songs they ported. Better than nothing, but they really couldn't distribute their time and resources better so you could get at least one remix?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

This is a result of just letting all the musicians pick whatever they wanted: Most of the remixes we got are bangers, but they only took from the franchises they were interested in, which wasn't all of them.

Um, excuse you:

Most Yoshi music is actually pretty laid back though so I understand the confusion. :p

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Currently Byleth, and Min Min are the only DLC fighters so far that were revealed in a Sakurai Presents. All of them are first party.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom