• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Okay, question time: If the last character is a Pokemon representing Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, what Pokemon would be most likely?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Now, it is the best time to log off and prepare for the Final Challenger's arrival tomorrow. I just wonder what is the majority of the internet's reaction? Best to wait when 9 am CST starts.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
According to all the Xenoblade 2 fans who are definitely in it for the gameplay, story and music, "Counterattack" is the favorite. Most people immediately took to the streets to yell angrily about how they "ruined" Counterattack (a cutscene song) by remixing it to be more lively for a fighting game.

My personal favorite is Roaming the Wastes, though. I didn't get far enough in XC2 to find out that it had any true bangers, but there it is.
But it isn't really more lively than the original? Or at least there's not a significant difference, I'd argue.

The track isn't even one of my favorite songs from XC2 but when I heard the Smash remix I felt... surprised? And not in a good way. Like, to me it feels like they were trying multiple things at once with this version of Counterattack, and failed at each one. The Smash version is still quite slow paced compared to the usual remixes we get, so it's not like they turned the track into a black metal song or anything.

Not to say it sounds kinda... weird? I mean the actual sound quality and mixing of the track. The drums are just kinda there, for example.

And to be honest the whole "they made it this way to make it more suitable for a fighting game" thing is at this point a lie. Not saying this because of you, to clarify, because Sakurai himself has said something similar in a few occasions if I remember correctly. And yet sometimes they make some decisions that don't make sense at all. Like including "Our Beginning" from Persona 5, which plays after the final boss and doesn't really qualify IMO as lively enough for a fighting game, instead of the actual final boss theme.

I feel like said criteria is kinda shaky because sometimes they clearly go for tracks, both remixes or songs from the original game, that aren't very suitable for a fighting game, but then exclude certain tracks that aren't that different.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Okay, question time: If the last character is a Pokemon representing Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, what Pokemon would be most likely?
Garchomp with its attacks from Pokkén to flesh out its moveset.

Actually if we ended with a Pokemon that was also in Pokken we'd technically have two Bandai Namco characters :4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think that the point that they didn't want a 4 minute song holds up though. Three Houses has some long ass songs and they didn't feel the need to remix them to shorten them. They obviously had some reason whether or not you think it's a good one.
That is true, they have eased up on doing that since the previous game, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was still a factor to some extent here. If could also just be that the composer liked Counterattack and decided to give it a remix and they decided that in this instance, they wouldn't duplicate the tracks. I dunno. I don't think it was to make the original more lively though. It already worked in the context of battle.

I don't even think that I once implied that XC2 fans are "unreasonable stupid heads", just that I have no interest in arguing with them over matters of personal opinion because I will likely never see eye to eye with their tastes.
Your first post about it was passive aggressive as all heck.
According to all the Xenoblade 2 fans who are definitely in it for the gameplay, story and music, "Counterattack" is the favorite. Most people immediately took to the streets to yell angrily about how they "ruined" Counterattack (a cutscene song) by remixing it to be more lively for a fighting game.
Translation: "According to all the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fans who are just in it for the booba, Counterattack is the favorite. They immediately got big baby rage mad over how they ruined (didn't ruin) Counterattack (a cutscene song by the way) by remixing it so that it was actually appropriate for the game."

D

Deleted member

Translation: "According to all the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fans who are just in it for the booba, Counterattack is the favorite. They immediately got big baby rage mad over how they ruined (didn't ruin) Counterattack (a cutscene song by the way) by remixing it so that it was actually appropriate for the game."
Finally, a Smashboards user who can read.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Now that we're so close to the end I feel it's time I made a confession. Despite taking part in speculation and watching tournaments, I actually haven't played Ultimate since the day :ultpiranha: was released. As much as I like the game the buffering system, high input delay and disappointing online put me off a lot faster than I expected. However, with so many interesting DLC characters added I've decided to give the game another chance when the final DLC drops. I'll probably stick to offline against guests and computer players though to spare my sanity.

Anyway, as far as my final predictions go, I'm thinking either Nahobino, a certain new warrior who I won't spoil from Metroid: Dread or a mid level third party character such as Professor Layton or Amaterasu.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Ok i really don't want to be that guy, but take a look at last night's picture of the day.

What's the quirky indie RPG that is heavily inspired by Earthbound and has the Main Character from it as a Skeleton?

my god I've become one of those Rathalos picture people

solvitur_ambulando

Smash Rookie
If it's a Pokemon, I want them to finish their plans to with Rowlett. He's got the most interesting moveset I can think of for realistic potential Pokemon characters, since my dreams of having Eevee who can evolve into any of her evolutions are dashed.

D

Deleted member

Ok i really don't want to be that guy, but take a look at last night's picture of the day.

What's the quirky indie RPG that is heavily inspired by Earthbound and has the Main Character from it as a Skeleton?

YIIK: A Postmodern RPG?!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I think it was called YIIK

Edit: god ****ing dammit

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If I’m wrong, I’ll eat a ham sandwich for lunch tomorrow.
A ha…A HAM SANDWICH? You madman.
Ooh that sounds really good. All I got's reheated spaghetti with no cheese and tortillas with nothing to put in them.

Oh, and a bag of broccoli. That also sounds goo. brb I'm gonna go get some broccoli.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I'm really trying to keep an open mind about who it is. I have my most wanted but at this point in the game, the chances seem slim for any specific character or even small group of characters.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Some things are just meant to haunt people for a while. Just like Sword Art Online is almost a decade old now (at least the anime, because the novel is older) and we still talk about how bad it is today.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Everyone complaining about Counterattack and i'm like WHAT THE **** DID YOU DO TO SPLAT ATTACK?! IT SOUNDS AWFUL.

Thankfully the original version is included, but still.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Broccoli all gone.

Everyone complaining about Counterattack and i'm like WHAT THE **** DID YOU DO TO SPLAT ATTACK?! IT SOUNDS AWFUL.

Thankfully the original version is included, but still.
This is the comparison that I was looking for. Well, the Splattack remix is much worse as a song compared to the Counterattack one, but it does have the same effect of doing the same thing as the original, but not nearly as good.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
You bolded some bits for emphasis - deciding for yourself what was supposed to be emphasized - and said why you believe he meant something in particular. But you didn't prove that it "doesn't matter." If intern-kun is going to translate a post, they're not gonna skip one half of it for fun.

It's okay if you don't think it'll be a western character - I certainly have no idea who it could be. But you can't blame people for looking at this and raising an eyebrow when you're only doing the same thing as the rest of us: guessing.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
While we're talking about disappointing Smash remixes, I'll concede to Counterattack and Splattack! not sounding as good as their original counterparts, but another popular remix to crap on Cynthia's overworld theme and battle theme from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl back in Smash 4. Everyone seems to think it sounds bad but it's soooo good like what are they even listening to

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
If the character’s third party I can’t wait to see how fans of the original series react, as well as the company’s and game’s Twitter account.

e.g it’s Doomguy, Bethesda / Toddy boy tweets out “that’s right! He’s in smash!” And Doom fans lose it in the replies or doom subreddit

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You bolded some bits for emphasis and said why you believe he meant something in particular. But you didn't prove that it "doesn't matter." If intern-kun is going to translate a post, they're not gonna skip one half of it for fun.
What makes more sense, that Sakurai made a Smash related statement that was only meant for the Japanese even though he never before made a statement that was exclusively meant for the Japanese, or that it is a general statement that wasn't translated by the intern because most of Sakurai's statements aren't translated by the intern? If anything, the idea that said post has no relevance outside of Japan seems to be the far less likely one.

It's okay if you don't think it'll be a western character - I certainly have no idea who it could be. But you can't blame people for looking at this and raising an eyebrow when you're only doing the same thing as the rest of us: guessing.
Thing is, people seem to be overcomplicating things by making said assumption. Whilst it technically is a possibility, it seems like a huge stretch to go " That wasn't translated by the intern, therefore it means it has no relevance to the west therefore it might be a hint that it is a huge character in the West but unknown in Japan."

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

"Say Sakurai-san, how about one last match? And, if I win...."

Toby_Fox.png

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Unpopular opinion: I don't like the Gangplank Galleon remix. It honestly feels overtly exaggerated when compared to the more true-to-source Brawl remix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom