• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

When Smash Ultimate speculation started, I was in middle school. Now I'm looking at colleges. 2018 - 2021 really doesn't seem that long on paper, but it's been a significant amount of time. And it's hard to think that this chapter is coming to a close, and the next round of speculation probably won't be until after I graduate from college.
As someone who has been speculating since pre-Brawl, the world doesn't need speculation. I hope this cycle of wondering what the roster is going to look like and who DLC characters are will never repeat.

1633364271523.png

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
According to all the Xenoblade 2 fans who are definitely in it for the gameplay, story and music, "Counterattack" is the favorite. Most people immediately took to the streets to yell angrily about how they "ruined" Counterattack (a cutscene song) by remixing it to be more lively for a fighting game.

My personal favorite is Roaming the Wastes, though. I didn't get far enough in XC2 to find out that it had any true bangers, but there it is.
And yet somehow, the more "lively" version is less lively and less intense. The remix is fine on it's own, but falters when you compare.

D

Deleted member

And yet somehow, the more "lively" version is less lively and less intense. The remix is fine on it's own, but falters when you compare.
Not really? They both sound great for what they're used for, but I've seen this argument play out in a youtube comment section too many times. I know better than to argue with XC2 fans, I don't see eye to eye with them on what makes a game good, there's no way I could see eye to eye with them on what makes music good.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Not really? They both sound great for what they're used for, but I've seen this argument play out in a youtube comment section too many times. I know better than to argue with XC2 fans, I don't see eye to eye with them on what makes a game good, there's no way I could see eye to eye with them on what makes music good.
It's perfectly ok to be wrong. Good idea to walk away. :)

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Well guys, it's been...educational...but I'm signing off until tomorrow (and honestly, depending on how passionate the reactions are, I may just stay off this site altogether for the next few weeks haha).

But I want to leave everyone with two last-minute wishes that I have for tomorrow.

1. I hope that, whoever the character is, it's someone Sakurai is proud of. I hope tomorrow's presentation shows him at his giddiest, like he was when showing off Terry. That way, it really won't matter to me who the character is because I'll at least have the satisfaction of knowing that this man - who, again, has been working on Smash full-time for nearly a decade - gets to end it with someone he's passionate about. That will shine through in the way the character plays, which is a win-win for everyone.

And I mean this. Neku, Amaterasu, Shantae, Doomguy, they're not sneaking into this final spot. And that's totally fine with me at this point. Just let Sakurai end his life's work in a way that makes him happy, satisfied, and proud.

2. It's okay to be disappointed tomorrow. It's okay to express your disappointment tomorrow. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just looking to pick a morality fight. But don't forget that that works both ways: people are allowed to be happy and express their excitement. Don't try to take that away from them.

And at the end of it all, even if it's really nobody that you wanted, I hope you don't forget where this whole thing started:

thisone.gif

I think we've all come dangerously close to taking what the Smash team has accomplished for granted, myself included. It's not until I go back and really look at this roster that I go "Dang...look at all this." Hell, I remember sitting down to watch the E3 presentation and just knowing that two of my favorite Smash 4 characters - Duck Hunt and Cloud - were going to get cut. Duck Hunt wasn't popular nor relevant, and Cloud was notoriously difficult to get. But there they were, alongside Snake and Pichu and literally everyone else.

My brother and I got matching B&K/Smash tattoos to commemorate just how huge of a deal that inclusion was to us. I still sometimes go back and watch the Belmont reveal trailer (I know Sephiroth's was epic, but fusing Castlevania with Luigi's Mansion will forever be the most brilliantly clever thing a Smash trailer has done in my opinion). I still want to know who made the Grinch Leak. Like, I wish Robert Stack was still alive just so I could convince him to make an entire episode of Unsolved Mysteries about it.

The past three years have had its ups and downs, but I can't imagine looking at the final product and the end of the day and thinking "Man, this sucks."

If, by tomorrow, you can't find a single one of these 86 characters that resonates you, or fits your playstyle, or even just makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, then I sincerely don't know what to tell you. Except that maybe Super Smash Bros. just straight up isn't for you.

It'll be weird and extremely bittersweet to see this last Sakurai Presents fade to black tomorrow, but man, what an unforgettable ride it's been. See y'all on the other side.

Illustration2.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Lets be honest.
Every new character (except the echoes and Piranha Plant) has brought in a favorite Music Track.
Ridley: vs Ridley
Simon and Richter: Bloody Tears
King K Rool: Gang Plank Galleon
Isabelle: idk what animal crossing music fit
Ken: guess his fighting stage music
Incinaroar: Pokemon battle theme idk
Joker: The Last Surprise
Hero: IDK which of the 8 tracks fit
Banjo & Kazooie: Spiral Mountain
Terry: can someone help me fill this one
Byleth: Remix of FE Three Houses Opening song (why no God Shattering Star?)
Min Min: Remix of the ARMS opening music
Steve: Halland/ Dalarna
Sephiroth: One Winged-Angel remix and standard
Pyra/Mythra: Help me with this one
Kazuya: Moonlit Wilderness
???: ???
Octoling: Fly Octo Fly ~ Ebb & Flow (Octo)

you’re welcome

Lowkey, still bugs me there's no Xenoblade Chronicles X music.
Lowkey still bugs me there's no F-Zero GX character themes
like GalacticPetey said it’s likely rights issues. Still a bummer tho

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
According to all the Xenoblade 2 fans who are definitely in it for the gameplay, story and music, "Counterattack" is the favorite. Most people immediately took to the streets to yell angrily about how they "ruined" Counterattack (a cutscene song) by remixing it to be more lively for a fighting game.

My personal favorite is Roaming the Wastes, though. I didn't get far enough in XC2 to find out that it had any true bangers, but there it is.
Listen to Counterattack. Now listen to its remix in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

The remix's instrumentation sounds kind of diluted, which makes it less impactful for the most part, and they took out 2/3 of the interludes so now it's repetitive. It's not absolutely horrible on it's own, but it's worse than the original in every way.

Counterattack also plays in fight scenes all the time, and didn't need to be more lively for a fighting game (similar to Engage the Enemy). I think the real reason they remixed it and didn't keep the original was because it was 4 minutes long and they wanted it to be 2 minutes long.

D

Deleted member

I don't see the hype. I read Sakurai's comments as something to not get excited for because he said it wasn't someone we would expect (i.e. not someone fans are clamoring for).

Don't get too excited about tomorrow. Be prepared for a letdown.
Historically, the only people who give that much of a damn are westerners, and he only said it in Japanese. Could this be one of those Sakurai 5th dimensional chess moments?!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't see the hype. I read Sakurai's comments as something to not get excited for because he said it wasn't someone we would expect (i.e. not someone fans are clamoring for).

What if my favorite characters are not commonly speculated or from huge series? Sakurai’s comment actually made me more excited.

FreeFox

Smash Lord

Is this good news or bad news to Sora´s fans?

D

Deleted member

Listen to Counterattack. Now listen to its remix in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

The remix's instrumentation sounds kind of diluted, which makes it less impactful for the most part, and they took out 2/3 of the interludes so now it's repetitive. It's not absolutely horrible on it's own, but it's worse than the original in every way.

Counterattack also plays in fight scenes all the time, and didn't need to be more lively for a fighting game (similar to Engage the Enemy). I think the real reason they remixed it and didn't keep the original was because it was 4 minutes long and they wanted it to be 2 minutes long.
tfw you bring up Counterattack and all the XC2 people come out of the woodwork to tell you how you're wrong about the Smash remix being worth hearing.
D7qxezRWwAAmsba.png

I've listened to them both several times and I think they're both good. I refuse to Engage the Enemy with a Counterattack on this point because it is not Time To Fight.

Technomage

Smash Champion

So in that case, what characters would we NOT expect?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
tfw you bring up Counterattack and all the XC2 people come out of the woodwork to tell you how you're wrong about the Smash remix being worth hearing.
Hey I never said it wasn't worth hearing, but if you give me that "Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fans are all unreasonable stupid heads who hate the Counterattack remix for no reason and actually they made it this way for a good reason" crap, I'm gonna tell you you're wrong.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hey I never said it wasn't worth hearing, but if you give me that "Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fans are all unreasonable stupid heads who hate the Counterattack remix for no reason and actually they made it this way for a good reason" crap, I'm gonna tell you you're wrong.
You're making such an easy opportunity for a jab with that lmao

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Using google translate, which is
"In one day, the final fighter of "Smash Bros. SP" will be announced.
Even if you don't play "Smash Bros.", if you are interested in the game
I definitely want you to see it."

I'm pretty sure that this is the exact same as

And since the Japanese version was posted after, it makes sense that the additional post about the presentation is in Japanese for obvious reasoning.

It doesn't seem likely that the additional information was exclusively meant for Japanese audiences since 99% of his posts are in Japanese.

For context, this is what he specifically said.

Even if you don't play Smash Bros, and are just interested in gaming, I'd like to invite you to watch the broadcast. You may not know the new fighter, or it might be different from your personal expectations. BUT, we hope you enjoy this game show and the broadcast itself! I really enjoyed recording the broadcast.

Bolded for extra emphasis. Personally, I believe in context, when he is talking about the fighter not being known, that perhaps he was talking specifically to those who don’t play Smash.

As for what he said in English....

This is too vague to mean much as “simply love games” could range from people who loves playing Nintendo and non-Nintendo games on Switch to those that are more X-Box/Playstation users.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Not expect, as in considered likely so they are now unlikely or not expect as in they were considered unlikely but now likely?

This is confusing lol.
I'd probably say the latter, though you are right that this is getting confusing, heh.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well I've said my piece on all the threads so I'm off until tomorrow. Good luck speculating everyone and I'll see you around

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You're making such an easy opportunity for a jab with that lmao
Ugh.

If I have to clarify, then what I meant as a whole is that the Counterattack remix is OK. Not bad, not amazing, but OK. In comparison to the original, there are legitamite reasons to not like it, or at least, not like it as much. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fans not liking it is not them being unreasonable stupid heads like they were saying.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Even if the last character doesn't appeal to me, I'm always going to look back into Ultimate to bringing Ridley, Steve, Hero and Sephiroth in that already amazing roster. Remember that the last fighter doesn't delete the past announcement, I'm sure everyone has a favorite Ultimate's moment somewhere.

Technomage

Smash Champion
That would be the worst timeline.
Right now, I'd be okay with that, since at least we get more FPS representation. On the other hand, the reason I said "Right now" is because I don't know what Apex Legends is; is there something controversial about it?

D

Deleted member

I don't think that the point that they didn't want a 4 minute song holds up though. Three Houses has some long ass songs and they didn't feel the need to remix them to shorten them. They obviously had some reason whether or not you think it's a good one. I don't even think that I once implied that XC2 fans are "unreasonable stupid heads", just that I have no interest in arguing with them over matters of personal opinion because I will likely never see eye to eye with their tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom