• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm going back on forth on looking too far into the tweet and just assuming it's tempering expectations that was for some reason only said in Japanese.
Despite my jokes I'm not jumping to any conclusions (apart from some Japanese staples seeming less likely now), but it is weird considering usually we're the ones that get lectured about keeping expectations in check. And deservedly so, but still.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Now, why would Sakurai tell English speakers and Japanese speakers two different things?

🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔
Seems like he's trying to appease the Japanese side so they won't get pissed. Trying to prepare them for a character that is probably not all that popular in Japan, but is in the West.

Just leads me to believe it could be a western character, in other words.

I'm already poised for disappointment since I have zero interest in any western characters lol.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Seems like he's trying to appease the Japanese side so they won't get pissed. Trying to prepare them for a character that is probably not all that popular in Japan, but is in the West.

Just leads me to believe it could be a western character, in other words.

I'm already poised for disappointment since I have zero interest in any western characters lol.
Me, who has a vested interest in several western characters
6110E318-ECA5-48B2-B672-BAD467E161BB.png

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
If he's really asking Japan specifically to temper their expectations, then it really gives credence to the possibility that DLC 11 is a Western character. Inviting non-Smash players to watch and drawing attention to "gaming celebration" also seems to suggest that this might be a widely-known character after all.

Will this finally be the FPS rep, I wonder? (And no, it won't be Jonesy.)

MarioKartRenderOwner

Smash Cadet
Oh man i mostly do silly joke posts here now but if sakurai really was trying to tamper the japanese audience in advance that'd be great for Rayman, who while isn't like a super high character for me much anymore, was a particular childhood dream of mine, would be a neat way for me on a personal level to end this kinda long saga of smash, but I also acknowledge I don't think Rayman would be everyone's cup of teas, he's not even that super relevant anymore in the land of my beloved scrimblos

but man interesting last second turn here, rare we get stuff this juicy to kinda think about, even if it could just mean nothing, conversations fun

trying to consider popular in west characters who have 0 appeal in Japan, I don't think this would be Crash because he does have an audience here, wonder if we'd get something like a Valve character, feels like one of the last pillars of mega gaming stuff that's possible, getting the conga taunt from TF2 in smash would be a godsend i think

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I now refuse to believe we're going to get a first party.

I swear to ****ing god, if you invite people outside of Smash bros for ****ing Cinderace.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
We might be reading too far into this.

He addressed people who may not recognize the character and people who don’t even play the game in the same post, asking them all to tune in anyway. Maybe he just wants everyone to be excited and enjoy the presentation no matter what.

I definitely don’t think he’s prepping Japan specifically for disappointment. Japanese PR has been doing twice the work of the western accounts before this and JP fans rarely act as pissy about fighters anyway.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why does everyone think him tweeting in English is a big deal? I’m confused?
It's more that different things are being said based on the language of the tweet, and therefore the audience they're going to. The English one has no attempt to curb expectation, while the Japanese one warns of a character they might not be overly familiar with.

Of course it's being cut with our late stage speculation and punch-drunk hype of an imminent show, which magnifies the reaction. But it's still an interesting dichotomy you don't usually see, especially when it skews towards tempering Japanese expectation.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Not to stir the pot, but I also just remembered that the presentation will be in the middle of the night for Japan.

If this isn't aimed at the west then I have no idea what Sakurai is doing.
It's in the night for like, 80% of the world, but the US. I don't think this mean anything.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Why does everyone think him tweeting in English is a big deal? I’m confused?
Because Sakurai rarely tweets in English at all, unless there's something he really wants the English crowd to hear. Doing it two days in a row is especially unheard of.

If the reveal was something like a Pokemon, the best course of action would've been to quietly announce it and celebrate the last Smash character as simply that-the last Smash character.. They know how much bad press overhyping something can generate, especially Sakurai himself, so why poke the beehive at this point? Why ask for non-Smash fans to watch, the group of people least likely to forgive an underwhelming reveal?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not to stir the pot, but I also just remembered that the presentation will be in the middle of the night for Japan.

Tbf it's airing at the standard time for Smash presentations. Ever since Terry they've all aired at this time unless they were leading to or from something.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
The “simply a fan of games” comment really makes me wanna see a Sony character like Kratos get revealed on Tuesday (not what I’m expecting, though).

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Okay there is no way in hell anyone can now blame the community for getting their expectations and hype big lmao

That's been the same time for all presentations since Terry, there's nothing special about it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

It has been the same time for 7 reveals.
The pot remains still.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Today's Kazuya's day right?

Well, I would say that his inclusion is probably one of my favorites since Terry. Basically, I grew up with Tekken, more than even any Nintendo or Capcom or any other series. It got me into videogames as a whole. I started with Tekken 3 like most people probably would have. I played EVERY main game. Both Tekken Tags, and Tekken Advance was one of the first GBA games I owned. So you can imagine for all the kids who kept talking about Banjo or Steve or Sonic and so on, to me that was legit one of the craziest thing Smash could have done. Up there with Mega Man and Ridley.

And of course, with Heihachi getting a Mii costume at the start of the Season, a lot of people counted Tekken out, except for me and I think Will Will So in the words of the man himself, "They all thought I was out the game. But I'm the one holding all the cards now!"

Kazuya himself I like. Granted, I've always have and always will be a Jin Kazama main. But I've played Kazuya plenty and is probably the 2nd most used of the Mishimas for me. Like I said before, I felt that all 3 Mishima's would be worthy additions, just that Jin would've been my go-to choice cause he's the first video game character I ever mained. It's pretty crazy seeing how he was implemented moves like Spinning Demon and Tsunami Kick having their original inputs. To a fairly seamless transition to his normal and devil forms for moves. to of course his original Tekken wave-dashing. His trailer using Cliff-Sama Mishima and dropping characters like flies. the 10-String on Captain Falcon. How he's hard hitting but not extra slow. It's all really ****ing cool. It's also nice to have a Heihachi cameo in the stage and a costume that references Jin. Not to mention, unlike Terry, Kaz gets to have 2 of his iconic looks and not just one. It's pretty awesome! Most of the music selection is pretty good. But I do feel like the representation of Tekken 2 and Tekken 3 is a little lacking, if only because those games soundtracks are completely fantastic! I'm not too huge on the EDM heavy stuff of Tag 2 and Tekken 7. That said the Emotionless Passion Remix is pretty awesome too!

Kazuya Tekken GIFs | Tenor

So yeah, this Smug, Vegeta Haired ******* is pretty cool. I'm glad he can throw Nintendo characters off a cliff.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, as for the tweets, looking back at all the times Sakurai has tweeted about upcoming Directs that would reveal new fighters, I feel like it's maybe a bit unreliable and possibly left rather vague. Do keep in mind that despite the different messages to both East and West, it could mean just about anything. That's just me, though.

I mean, the dude intentionally makes his tweets vague when saying there's a new fighter coming. And even when he does hint at something, it's the most abstract and obscure **** you could think of (The binary 17 on Sakurai's hand for Byleth). Again, could be just about anybody, in spite of the differing messages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom