• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
But i feel like he would be an underwhelming inclusion for the final fighter despite the fan demand
I feel like the final fighter shoud bring something unique to smash and i feel like crash just dosent have that
He wouldve been fine if he wasnt the final fighter though
Maybe somewhat on the last part, but I still want him in, as do some others. Some may not even care if he is the last fighter with nothing that makes him unique.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If it works it works. K. Rool's trailer was fantastic, he and Banjo had the Rare connection, and the people that needed to like the trailer liked it.

Sephiroth's trailer is basically the same as Mega Man's anyway, that doesn't diminish how cool it is in the slightest.
I still think it should have at least tried to be a little different, Sephiroth and Mega Man at least have different choreography, like, Terry and Min Min also use a similar set up but do it differently. You can watch them all back to back and they still feel very different. Do that with K.Rool and Banjo? Not as enjoyable as Mega Man and Sephiroth or Terry and Min Min. Maybe it's because I rewatch the trailers when there's a new character out or that I'd feel disappointed if my most wanted characters had the exact same trailer as someone else

Kritter

Smash Cadet
Honestly, part of me wants the final character to be someone completely bonkers. Not a commonly speculated character or one people thought is impossible to get in or too niche/obscure/whatever and looked over many times by fans. The most fun additions in Smash are ones that people overlook for one reason or another.

Like, yeah. Crash/Master Chief/Sora/Hayabusa could be cool and all but due to how often people think they're "inevitable", something unexpected would be fun to see.
Maybe we will get Goomba to bookend with Piranha Plant.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But i feel like he would be an underwhelming inclusion for the final fighter despite the fan demand
I feel like the final fighter shoud bring something unique to smash and i feel like crash just dosent have that
He wouldve been fine if he wasnt the final fighter though
You say that now, but Sakurai 'bout to hit you with a box smashing mechanic and if you win the game's gonna hit you with a "Crash, Wins!...But he failed to destroy 200 boxes so now we're gonna drop them on your head." :4pacman:

More seriously though, simple != samey or boring. We should have learned this lesson quite a few times by now.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think it at least fits the more humorous nature of Banjo-Kazooie for them to reuse a trailer. Sepiroth doesn’t fit Banjo’s trailer because he demands this aura of prestige, but for Banjo and Kazooie it fits.

I just wish the bouncing Jiggy would’ve been replaced with something else. It kinda gave it away and it feels kinda random and shoe-horned in.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So somebody brought up more off-the-wall picks...
I semi-joked about Rena in Smash before, but thinking about it some more I think they could give her a pretty good sort of composite moveset borrowing from a lot of different things, taking the Terry approach and having her be more a rep for 07th Expansion in general.

I don't think her odds are very, uh, existent, but damn, wouldn't it be cool?

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
You know, what if the Last smash character reveal starts all the way back towards the Smash 64 commercial? It is where it all started.
In b4 they go with the Japanese ad instead:

:4pacman:

The revisionism can get pretty insane.

Bayonetta was hype and had people excited, it was only after she murdered Smash 4 competitively that people really soured on her in my recollection.
Olimar was exciting at the time but again, became sour when people realised that the 50+ character roster the mid 00's internet promised itself was coming wasn't going to happen.
That and Olimar never really become a fan favorite to play as. He was considered absurdly effective in Brawl by the time Smash 4 came around - only really below :metaknight: and :popo: - but he was during Brawl's release window dismissed as another "gimmicky" character and never really developed a large casual fanbase. The main reasons I suspect are a zoner-esque playstyle that was derided as "campy"; and - more importantly on the casual side of things - the fact that he was unpredictable and had a really high learning curve. The fact that he had 6 Pikmin back then kinda didn't help since that encouraged farming for say 3-4 Purples or whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised if those were the main reasons why Sakurai and co. halved Olimar's number of Pikmin in the transition to 4: going from 6 Pikmin in Brawl to 3 in Sm4sh and reworked his Up B instead. Yes, halving the number of Pikmin did nerf him - but made him more consistent and prevented the situation where if you wanted to use a specific Pikmin again you had to toss / pluck up to 5 other Pikmin.

Bunny hopping you say?
This character better have a mechanic where if JRB jumps a set number of times in a game a flower appears close by and deals major damage (both normal and shield damage).

(Edited because on second thought 100 jumps in a game would be incredibly rare - once per match or something like that.)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think it at least fits the more humorous nature of Banjo-Kazooie for them to reuse a trailer. Sepiroth doesn’t fit Banjo’s trailer because he demands this aura of prestige, but for Banjo and Kazooie it fits.

I just wish the bouncing Jiggy would’ve been replaced with something else. It kinda gave it away and it feels kinda random and shoe-horned in.
Now I'm picturing a Sephiroth trailer featuring Cloud and the Rare boys chilling in the DK treehouse and getting punked out by Corrin as the silhouette lmao.

Of course instead of this

you'd get this

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You guys think we’ll see one more indie Mii with a song (a la Sans, Cuphead and Shantae) and/or another AT being made into a Mii (like with Squid Sisters and Bomberman)?

…what if it’s Shovel Knight? It’ll fulfill both categories in one go, two birds with one stone and all that

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So somebody brought up more off-the-wall picks...
I semi-joked about Rena in Smash before, but thinking about it some more I think they could give her a pretty good sort of composite moveset borrowing from a lot of different things, taking the Terry approach and having her be more a rep for 07th Expansion in general.

I don't think her odds are very, uh, existent, but damn, wouldn't it be cool?
Rena Ryuugu? We all know Beatrice is the superior When They Cry rep

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You guys think we’ll see one more indie Mii with a song (a la Sans, Cuphead and Shantae) and/or another AT being made into a Mii (like with Squid Sisters and Bomberman)?

…what if it’s Shovel Knight? It’ll fulfill both categories in one go, two birds with one stone and all that
I could see them adding Shovel Knight similarly to Bomberman, where the costume closely resembles the assist trophy - it would be nice to get a Shovel Knight song in Smash.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Speaking of trailer continuations

yes this is still me surmising the final trailer will be of WoL’s true ending

but I’m now even more sure that will be the case

I just randomly rewatched the two WoL bad endings and yup it looks like Hero’s and Sephiroth’s trailers are definitely connected to the bad endings

In the one where Galeem is defeated and Dharkon takes over, the sky looks the exact same as in hero’s trailer

In the inverse ending, right after Galeem goes Omae wa mou shindeiru on Dharkon, the attack they’re charging is the same one they do before Sephiroth yeets them from this mortal plane

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So what happens to this thread? Does it just end once the showcase is over?
The thread, I’d imagine so. Not sure about the sub forum as a whole tho
From what has been said, the entire sub forum shuts down. A dedicated "let's talk about Super Smash Bros." thread getting put up afterward has been a request from a few people, but it's up to the mods.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that this thread closes during Nintendo presentations, so this thread will likely shut down for good before the Mr. Sakurai Presents will even start.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Enjoy while it is still up. The best is that it will be closed from further discussions as Ultimate's cycle is over

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The most important thing to remember for the last few days is to have fun. Do not focus on the idea of being right or wrong as much as focus on all the possibilities and try to have an open mind for the last newcomer, whoever it is. Ultimate is something really special and it will always be something special, no matter what.

Speaking of trailer continuations

yes this is still me surmising the final trailer will be of WoL’s true ending

but I’m now even more sure that will be the case

I just randomly rewatched the two WoL bad endings and yup it looks like Hero’s and Sephiroth’s trailers are definitely connected to the bad endings

In the one where Galeem is defeated and Dharkon takes over, the sky looks the exact same as in hero’s trailer

In the inverse ending, right after Galeem goes Omae wa mou shindeiru on Dharkon, the attack they’re charging is the same one they do before Sephiroth yeets them from this mortal plane
You made a really good Octoling trailer in another thread. You mind posting it here?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's crazy how a Smash announcement is trending on Twitter two days before the actual trailer is released.

Smash's brand power is ****ing insane. I struggle to think of many other franchises that could get this degree of publicity and discussion while being so far off from any actual news.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I still think it should have at least tried to be a little different, Sephiroth and Mega Man at least have different choreography, like, Terry and Min Min also use a similar set up but do it differently. You can watch them all back to back and they still feel very different. Do that with K.Rool and Banjo? Not as enjoyable as Mega Man and Sephiroth or Terry and Min Min. Maybe it's because I rewatch the trailers when there's a new character out or that I'd feel disappointed if my most wanted characters had the exact same trailer as someone else
Everything after the fakeout is different, in K. Rool's he has an epic fight with DK and Diddy whereas Banjo's has a bunch of wacky references, the tone couldn't be more different.

At the end of the day it's just a matter of opinion. You don't like Banjo so you don't like Banjo's trailer. Personally I don't think Terry and Min Min's trailers were very enjoyable to watch on their own, let alone back to back.

However one thing I guarantee is that if you got your most wanted character you wouldn't give two ****s about the trailer's originality.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Technomage

Smash Champion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom