• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I'd caution people it could just be them hyping up the last character because it's the last character, and they'd be saying this irrespective of who it was... but that's not really following their own advice. So I won't.

Wait-
Honestly, as much as I hate to say it. Can't really blame people THIS time when they themselves are telling people to go overboard.

This'll either pay off, or go completely south.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I wasn’t stoked for Pyra’s reveal. I wasn’t upset or anything, just not pleased. Xenoblade’s not really my thing, though I respect the fact that a lot of people adore the series. And I’m happy it’s not as niche as it once was. Anyway, the point is, I was not excited in any form for Pyra/Mythra.

But goddamnit

The moveset is dope. Pyra specifically. Mythra’s okay, but Pyra taps into the part of my brain that likes characters who hit like trucks. She reminds me of Incineroar in that way. This is one of those cases where the character itself you’re not into, but the moveset wins you over.

So yeah, I’m cool with em now. Not my first choice for an inclusion, but moveset-wise they’re definitely top 5 for me.

Oh yeah, music and stage.

They’re fine. I don’t really care tbh. All I can think about is Steve mining on poor Gramp’s back.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, as much as I hate to say it. Can't really blame people THIS time when they themselves are telling people to go overboard.

This'll either pay off, or go completely south.
Just keep one hand on the wheel. If it pays off, there's not a lot of downside. If it doesn't, there's quite an upside.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I really don't think this is indicative TBH and I assume others don't but are just throwing about ideas but I digress. It's the last character for the gift that has kept on giving for the past 3 years and has become the biggest fighting game and one of the biggest crossovers in history. Smash Ultimate ending was always going to be a big deal, and 3 years of support, 2 of which being DLC add further proof to this. Not only that but it was made by the smash twitter account... which usually aren't ran by people who are in the know on the games firsthand, so even if this wasn't just some phrasing that was done solely on the part of the guy who ran the account, being the last character in Ultimate was always something they were gonna hype up whether it's the shillest of shills or someone from literal shovelware. This isn't even considering the possibility of stuff being lost in translation as Japanese is obviously a very context heavy language.

As for those who think the actual wording directly contains a hint to the actual character.. I assume there aren't many but for the very small minority.. Just no... Definitely not lol.

kylexv

Smash Master
Day 10: Pyra/Mythra :ultpyra::ultmythra:

I remember waking up the morning the February 2021 Nintendo Direct was announced, doubting the announcement I was seeing on my phone. After all, it had been since September 2019 that we got a standard Nintendo direct, so I thought standard Nintendo Directs as we knew them were a thing of the past. Boy, was I glad to be wrong. Not only that, but the announcement promised the reveal of the next Smash Ultimate DLC character, making me even more excited about it. Of course, when that direct finally aired, the character that was revealed ended up being the Aegis (Pyra/Mythra).

Pyra and Mythra were characters I didn't particularly want in the game, but they looked very cool. I’ve mentioned outside of these forums that a stance change character would be a great addition to the game, and a character like Pyra/Mythra was exactly what I was looking for. I felt that Xenoblade 2 deserved a rep as well, so the reveal went better for me than I expected. Not only that, Pyra and Mythra were the second and third DLC newcomers that had spirits in Ultimate’s base game, further reinforcing that spirits did not eliminate a character’s chances for DLC. It managed to get even better after they came out, as they felt really good to play when I picked them up for the first time (mostly because they’re easy to play, but I digress). Pyra and Mythra ended up becoming powerful characters in their own right as well, with players nowadays placing them somewhere in the Top 3 and them even being a candidate for the best character in the game.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and loved my time with it, so Pyra was one of my most wanted characters alongside Banjo when Ultimate was initially revealed in 2018 (though like most, I figured she'd be coming alongside Rex). When Sakurai said that he had wanted to do something with ARMS and Xenoblade 2, but it was too late into development, I was disappointed but understood the reasoning. I got Banjo in the first pass, and had accepted that even if Pyra didn't happen, I would be fine.

Then Min Min happened at the start of the second pass, and I went ALL IN on Rex/Pyra. Sakurai had mentioned both, I had no reason to believe only one of the two would be here, and when they were revealed, I got even BETTER than I wanted because I had put Rex and Pyra together out of what I assumed was necessary to get Pyra in, but then she just ditched him and she and Mythra were added together instead, which I definitely prefer.

These two instances are why I'm basically fine with whichever character gets added on Tuesday, I've gotten two of my most wanteds through Ultimate's DLC cycle, Banjo and Pyra.

I really like Pyra and Mythra's moveset too. I generally click well with strong but kinda slow heavyweights (my main until Banjo came out was K. Rool and I played Dedede in Smash 4), so Pyra being that type of character is great for me. I love the Cloud Sea of Alrest with the Titans in the background, the character cameos on Gramps' back, Gramps' commentary throughout the match. I love the new music added (though I wish we had gotten Giga Rosa's theme as well), and I love that we even got the battle theme from Torna.

Also, Mythra channeling the spirit of the Ardainian guards with "Think you can take me?" for her down taunt and "You're done" sometimes when you swap to her is great.

Wow, I had a surprising amount to say this time lmao

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Pyra and Mythra got the most emotional reaction out of me. Not like crying or anything, but I felt extremely happy. I truly wanted Mythra in this game by herself because Torna let you fight as her without the blade driver stuff from the base game. I WANTED THAT so bad in Smash. I still genuinely can't believe how perfect it is.

Pyra came along for the ride for a really fun swap character done so perfectly it just makes me so happy. I love these girls and I love XC2.

"But did anyone really want them without Rex?" Yes. Yes we did. I like Rex. He's not who I wanted to play as in Smash. I did not want to imagine the nightmare of how blade swapping and affinity crap would work. Rex wouldn't even be able to do the blade arts by himself. He'd have his super boring arts, and no, you can't just make him do them. It's literally impossible for him to do so.

The only bad thing about my girls in Smash is the Counterattack remix is very mediocre. The original is a beautiful masterpiece and the remix lacks the somber beauty and the OOMPH too, despite trying to sound more powerful.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I loved Xenoblade 2, I wanted some content in Smash and I was content with the Mii costumes. When Fighter's Pass 2 rolled around I was kind of on the Rex train because that was the only way I thought I could get a playable Xenoblade 2 character, I didn't really say it that often but Pyra and Mythra being separate was the dream. Although I did want Elma and Lora more.

Then Rex got BTFO'd in the Trailer and got real happy although it wasn't really a pop-off like the last 2 more like a "Yes I am very happy with this and I am excited to learn more"

not to mention how I absolutely love how they play and are easily one of my top 3 favorite characters to play.

Also the stage and music are top notch.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
We’re getting a Spore creature.
I would unironically be totally down for that, Spore is god-tier.

Onto the main topic for today, I have nothing against Pyra & Mythra. They play good, their voicework is excellent, their stage is gorgeous... heck, my niece really likes to play them a whole lot! Plus, Chuggaaconroy's been doing an LP of Xenoblade 2 for the past year and going, so I can tell that what we got was hardly what the Smash team wanted to include by a long shot.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
I would love for this to happen, but it won't, not by a longshot
but imagine if he became a playable character in Smash
I think this Sega IP is very underrated imo

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I dozed off and had a dream where the last trailer started with 20 seconds of Balan dancing, which led into a version the K.Rool trailer. The last character was revealed to be a generic (American) Football player. His catchphrase was "aw yeah, it's Togi time".

I'm taking this as a prompt to go to bed.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'll do my thoughts on Pyra/Mythra later, because I'm a little sad about what I have to do

So I gotta be unbiased and probably (Probably) deconfirm a Piece of evidence I had for a Certain character

This was in response to the Shadow The Hedgehog Remix thing I was talking about. It wasn't killed recently, but sometime in 2019, which is quite a while ago

What I figured out when researching was that it seem all the Discussed Music track takedowns I've seen on this site happened around the Same time it would seem. The Geno Tracks (I think there was one more taken down later), Banjo track, Sans Track, Shadow Track, and even Isaac track were taken down around a time where Nintendo was going after Music tracks it seems, in Early to Mid 2019.

Now I heard Isaac's Track was taken down sometime in October, before his Reveal as an Assist Trophy. Banjo might have been taken down around the same time also, Sans is unknown, but it was at least like 6 months before we got his Mii Costume. Geno was in early 2019

The important thing to note is that Shadow's Track was taken down after his Assist Trophy was revealed, and along with that There's no Shadow centric track in Smash, so it is curious. However I think there are 2 main possibilities if the Takedowns did mean any sort of thing, which I'm thinking they did

-They were taking down Sonic Music because The Tails and Knuckles Mii Costumes were coming with Joker's Pack. Shadow wasn't involved in any way, but since Shadow is from Sonic, perhaps?

-This was taken down when Shadow the Hedgehog Was Officially in the Planning stages, or successfully Negotiated for DLC down the road after FP1

That's why I said probably deconfirm, because perhaps the FP2 Characters were already in the Planning stages before FP2 was officially greenlit. We already know Steve was in Planning, and Kazuya was likely too, if Nintendo was any indication. Min Min, Pyra/Mythra, and Sephiroth also were perhaps in Planning early on before FP2 was greenlit. CP11 likely might have been too. What if Shadow is CP11, Music takedown, Do the math and it might add up, despite the Length of time

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
So, thanks to Mythra and Pyra in Smash I got into Xenoblade, I remember after their reveal I went to the eshop and bought the game, including Torna, and to this day I regret not playing it earlier, I loved it and was ready for Mythra in Ultimate.

I remember that even before playing Xenoblade 2, people were talking about the possibility of Mythra in Ultimate because of the redesign she got in her spirit, and I was pretty excited about the possibility, cause I really liked her design, and the few traits I knew about her also hit close home, so I wanted Mythra in.

Of course, everyone talked about Rex and Pyra, which I particularly wasn't excited about, but when people started to talk about Rex and Pyra/Mythra I got invested in speculation, even more, when there were rumours about Pyra with Mythra as an Echo, which would have been perfect if DLC Echoes were a thing, in my opinion.

The day came, and when Pyra had the invitation I was really happy, I hadn't played their game but I wanted a female DLC and knew she had a lot of fans; I remember I was just asking myself "does she come with Mythra? she has to, right? please?!

And boom,

Mythra Awakens.png

Mythra Awakens, with no Rex, and her own number as a fighter (80) and finally, after 7 years maining Peach, a new character won me over.

After that I played XC2 and loved it, barely used Pyra cause I clearly prefer Mythra, and after that, I played the Torna DLC and I was so happy I could directly control Mythra all the time.

Torna will have always a special place in my heart, I cried like never before because of a videogame in the finale. Yes, I am that annoying guy who goes solo Mythra every time but don't get me wrong, I do like Pyra. (btw, I hate classic mode only shows Pyra's icon in the high score square).

It is weird but I resonate with Mythra a lot personality-wise, and that's the magic that Smash creates when you start to play different series because of their inclusion.

I will soon start XCDE as well, and I am excited about that.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also Here's an interesting "Leak". Not because It's Real or anything, but because it has interesting Premise

/v/ - 5th october - Video Games - 4chan (4channel.org)

Pretty much, It doesn't reveal who the Fighter is, but it says that there will actually be 2 Mii Costume waves being revealed in this presentation

-One is CP11's Mii Costume wave, with 4 costumes from it's series, and then another Costume from it's Company, and then The Knight from Hollow Knight Deluxe costume with Music

-The other is a Special Mii Costumes being released October to November, and these Costumes have Special Properties other costume don't, such has multiple differen variations on the Costume (Like Both Brawler and Gunner) and even some unique animations

Also says no Sora, No Cinderace, and No Bonus Fighter

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Also Here's an interesting "Leak". Not because It's Real or anything, but because it has interesting Premise

/v/ - 5th october - Video Games - 4chan (4channel.org)

Pretty much, It doesn't reveal who the Fighter is, but it says that there will actually be 2 Mii Costume waves being revealed in this presentation

-One is CP11's Mii Costume wave, with 4 costumes from it's series, and then another Costume from it's Company, and then The Knight from Hollow Knight Deluxe costume with Music

-The other is a Special Mii Costumes being released October to November, and these Costumes have Special Properties other costume don't, such has multiple differen variations on the Costume (Like Both Brawler and Gunner) and even some unique animations

Also says no Sora, No Cinderace, and No Bonus Fighter
Lmao, it's ****ing fake.
That guy went to look for the "Keyblade user" in Japanese but went for "Kingdom chain user" instead.
Why would Sakurai even mention him lmao.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Thoughts on Pyra and Mythra now? Ok.

Not a huge Xenoblade guy or anything, because of that, I wasn't invested that much like I was with ARMS finally getting a character cause I like that game. Despite that, I thought it was cool another series that didn't have a ton of characters, got to get another one, technically 2 at that. I think they're a better application of Zelda and Sheik's old gimmick too.

So yeah, kind of neat I guess.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My god a page of paragraphs.

I’m pretty excited for the last character whoever they are but the poetry of Master Chief “Finishing the Fight”, to finish the pass, to finish Smash Ultimate, has my potential favorite reveal.

Otherwise Hayabusa is always my go to. Not as poetic but if he somehow stayed relevant through all DLC, only to be disconfirmed right before the final, only to eventually be the final one, would really throw me for a loop.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Lmao, it's ****ing fake.
That guy went to look for the "Keyblade user" in Japanese but went for "Kingdom chain user" instead.
Why would Sakurai even mention him lmao.
The Kingdom Key is called the Kingdom Chain in Japan but yes, if there's no Sora in any form I don't know why he would be brought up to begin with.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The Kingdom Key is called the Kingdom Chain in Japan but yes, if there's no Sora in any form I don't know why he would be brought up to begin with.
Yah, but Sora is never called the Kingdom Chain user.
Keyblade user, Keyblade master? Sure, but "Kingdom Chain User" ?
He probably just went to look for the Basic keyblade form in japanese without any thought.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I don't have much to say on Pythra. Their reveal came at a time when my interest in Smash was at an all time low and I never played XC2 so I was pretty neutral on them. I'm somewhat glad they were picked over Rex since I really don't like his design (objectively speaking their designs ain't much better, but they have... things that I like)

I do like their playstyle though

Shroob

Sup?
I don't have much to say on Pythra. Their reveal came at a time when my interest in Smash was at an all time low and I never played XC2 so I was pretty neutral on them. I'm somewhat glad they were picked over Rex since I really don't like his design (objectively speaking their designs ain't much better, but they have... things that I like)

I do like their playstyle though
Lemme guess.

Two things ya like?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the day of release and fell in love with it almost instantly. The world, characters, battle system, and music captivated me like no other game had for years, and I was 100% convinced that it'd make an excellent addition to Smash. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed when the Rex Mii costume was revealed alongside XC2 spirits and a small selection of music tracks, so I figured the game, unfortunately, missed its shot for a playable character in Ultimate and would have to wait for another chance in the next Smash (extremely unlikely though it would've been, since the Xenoblade games feature different casts and Nintendo probably would've prioritized whatever latest XC game was around during development).

Then FP2 and Min Min happened.

Nobody knew for certain if Min Min's spirit promotion was a one time deal or not, but my optimism for a XC2 character quickly resurfaced despite discouraging statements from others who believed that the game was "dead in the water" thanks to Rex's Mii costume. I knew at the time that it definitely wasn't guaranteed, but I couldn't help but entertain the idea that it could finally happen.

Fast forward to the beginning of 2021 and the February Nintendo Direct, I went in with no real expectations for the Smash fighter and even made a joke post a few hours earlier hoping to will a XC2 character into existence. When the stream started up and I saw Argentum with the instrumental version of Drifting Soul playing in the background, I honestly teared up. "This is Smash! There's no way this isn't Smash!", I exclaimed. However, I found it a bit odd how Rex was already present from the beginning when Smash trailers usually try to keep the suspense going for a while.

Then it dawned on me that we were getting Pyra/Mythra, my dream pick for a XC2 character. When I saw Rex approaching Pyra on Final Destination, I nearly screamed from excitement.

Somewhat questionable designs aside, I absolutely adore their characters and have been repping both of them on this site ever since I first joined. Their movesets instantly clicked with me and I can confidently call them my main. Their inclusion in Smash means a lot to me, not just because XC2 is one of my favorite games of all time and helped me during a rough patch in my life, but it was also a victory against everyone who told me to stop believing in their chances and bullied me for enjoying the game like I do. I'm extremely happy that a game I adore so much is properly immortalized in Smash, and I cannot thank Sakurai and the rest of the Smash team enough for all of their hard work in giving me a character that makes me smile every time I boot the game up.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
The Bae Blades made me extremely happy, not only because I was barracking for them, but also because I was worried Mythra would just be a Final Smash and Sakurai straight up made her playable too. She's the DLC character I play the most ATM alongside Byleth and Sephiroth.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
By "let your imagination wild" they were probably looking behind themselves and tried to find a good way to describe the Nintendo execs behind them jumping off chairs, clipping their ties to their collars and ****ing swinging off the lights cos they can't wait for the revenue they're gonna get on Tuesday for some plug character lol
Are there really that many people still holding on buying the pass that might still buy it? It can't be THAT big a difference.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Stopping Mythra's "Big Anime Dash" Side-B with a singular lemon or Metal Blade is pretty fun.

The Smash Equivalent of that Indiana Jones scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom