• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
:ultsephiroth: . So popular that he will never be a memory. Latin chroruses follow him whereever he goes. Brought in the rest of the FF7 content.

Dis pear.

Sephiroth was never a speculation favorite - while he was part of the Seven Squares list most people focused on characters like Geno, 2B alongside quite a lot of other characters. Instead, his reveal in TGA 2020 came as a major shock - it's evident in not only Maximillian's reaction, but also the general reaction towards the villain. In fact, I do consider it the best trailer if only because Sakurai just decided to recreate Advent Children. Sakurai proceeded to offer the "Sephiroth Challenge": a way to get him playable easrly provided you beat his boss fight. Hey, it was a nice bonus.

Competitively speaking: initially he was believed to be a contender for top tier, although his weaknesses and him not overwhelming tournaments so far has caused a revision down to "top of high tier" territory currently. The most prominent Sephiroth main is probably Ned, a :ultpokemontrainer: player who really liked how Sephiroth plays and chose to add him alongside his PT. Notably he got 2nd in the first post-Bad Year US major using mainly Sephiroth. Other notable mains include Niko in the US and Masashi in Japan, who use Sephiroth together with their :ultcloud: and have achieved strong regional results with the duo.

(What goes on inside their - and other player who main Cloud / Sephiroth - heads when debating who to use. :4pacman: )

Sephiroth's moveset solidify him as a hybrid between the glass cannon / turtle archetypes, and his Specials highlight this. Flare is a slow but highly damaging fireball that can be charged up its Megaflare and Gigaflare counterparts. Its slow start up prevents it from being spammed, although it covers ledge options extremely well and its ability to be charge cancelled until Gigaflare allows it to work as a mindgame. Shadow Flare is highly commital - it does little shield damage nor is it safe close - but highly effective at mindgames and pressuring opponents. Not least since Sephiroth can turn around just before firing. If the move lands the orbs will likely force the opponent into either A) Shield, which leaves them vurnerable to Sephiroth's shield breaks, B) Go on the offensive and risk trading or C) Try to time an airdodge to avoid the orbs, which gives Sephiroth an opportunity to strike after. Blade Slash is a charged Fire Fox in a sense: it can be used as a movement option or charged into the highly damaging but really commital Octaslash. It doesn't cover that much distance, but can be really difficult to challenge. Scintilla is a counter that only hits in front, will always activate and has a damage cap of 25 %... but Scintilla is a GROSS counter. Second strongest multiplier alongside :ultkrool: 's Gut Check and :ultbrawler: 's Counter Throw, freezes the opponent right before the counter comes out and can stifle recoveries (with a hitbox) like no tomorrow.

For his normals he uses the Masamune, and it has different sweetspots. To writ:
  • For slashing attacks, the sweetspot is located approximately at the middle of the Masamune's blade, while a sourspot covers the inner blade and handle, and a mediumspot at the tip. The sweetspot for slashing attacks is signified by a glowing area in the middle of the swing.
  • For stabbing attacks, the sweetspot is located at the tip of the Masamune's blade, while the mediumspot is at the blade.
His sword attacks are generally on the slow side, but the range and often high damage makes them still a threat that others have to deal with. F-Tilt and F-Air are excellent pokes even if they require precise timing, U-Tilt is a scoop that has little horizontal reach but amazing vertical reach: It hits the top Battlefield platform from ground level and can tipper there. Oh it's the third strongest U-Tilt in the game when tippered too, surpassing :ultsnake: 's but below :ultmegaman: 's in terms of power. U-Air is a really bloody big swing that can juggle pretty damn well even if it's commital. B-Air KOes extremely early, especially in his Winged form. D-Air - the Aerith killer - is extremely good at edge guarding / two-framing due to how long Masamune is and can be used as a follow up to a footstool. The Smash attacks are generally hugely committal, but if sweetspoted can prove extremely dangerous or lethal. D-Smash is of particular note since it can shieldbreak if spaced properly.

Those are further complemented by his other moves and throws: Dash Attack and D-Tilt are useful "get off me!" tools that in the former case can kill, N-Air is another such move that can combo, and he possesses a very strong grab game. D-Throw has quite a few follow ups, B-Throw can be followed up with a B-Air for a mindgame or even sometimes kill confirm, and the oher throws have solid utility.

Then we have the Wing. The comeback / snowball factor. While it is somewhat unreliable due to the situation-dependent % it activates, it is nevertheless an extremely dangerous upgrade. His base stats go through the ****ing roof - a 1.3X damage increase coupled with major boosts to ground and air speed means that he'll be able to approach or retreat with much more impunity. He gains quite a lot of super armor frames on his Smash Attacks, making him very dangerous to try and out-read as well. Probably most importantly he gains access to a second double jump - boosting his recovery and making his mix up game more dangerous on top. The activation % can be roughly summarized as:

If Sephiroth has 3 stocks while his opponent has 1, Winged Form activates at ~90% damage.
If he has 1 stock while his opponent has 3, Winged Form activates at ~39% damage.
If he has an equal amount of stocks as his opponent, Winged Form activates at ~65% damage.
My only gripe is the wing doesn’t go away when he takes a stock.
And time to get into how the Wing works. Because it is surprisingly wonky and I only learned about this yesterday when looking him up. Specifically, and I'mma lift this section from SSBWiki:

For deactivation, Winged Form follows a system of points. A set amounts of points is granted to Sephiroth upon activation depending on the stock difference (50, 65, 90, 100, 110, from two stocks ahead to two stocks behind).
The main source of point detractions are: A) If Sephiroth takes a stock, he will lose 50 points. These points won't be detracted if the opponent self-destructs.
B) An amount of points equivalent to 0.3 (0.15 in doubles) * base damage will be detracted when Sephiroth attacks. The damage calculation will ignore any multiplier, such as the 1v1 multiplier, Winged Form's own multipliers or stale-move negation.

Also, the maximum amount of points is updated dynamically based on the score difference. Should Sephiroth's accumulated lost points exceed the new maximum, Winged Form will be deactivated immediately.

In short, it doesn't deactivate instantly because it follows a points system, and even though him taking a stock means he loses 50 points, chances are pretty decent he'll have leftover points since an even situation will have him start Winged Form with 90 points (and the other main source of point detraction, damage, might not have accumulated enough).

His weaknesses are worth noting though. The extremely light weight on par with :ultkirby: and :ultmewtwo: alongside his fast falling speed makes him very susceptible to being comboed and KOed really early. His sword swings have notable ending lag and can be notoriously difficult to sweetspot (U-Air is the best example of this), making his damage racking or even KO potential rather inconsistent. He can also have significant problems hitting small characters like :ultkirby: and :ultdiddy: . If Sephiroth's already had Winged Form during a certain stock, he can't regain it unless he's KOed. In addition, while Winged Form is extremely powerful it's snowball / comeback potential is limited by the point deduction. His Specials have their own weaknesses (such as Scintilla's previously mentioned inability to cover behind Sephiroth), discouraging reckless use.

Casually I kinda suspect he does well when people are clumped up and he can either toss projectiles or attack with his impressive AoE. The light weight does mean that he's going to be killed early by items / ATs / whatever, but in return Winged Form can help him at least clean house. While the Final Smash has weak launch power for FS standards (come on, Sephiroth, you blow up entire Solar Systems and still can't blow up the people caught in them :roll: ) its compensated by its variety of RNG effects.

As far as the Challenger Pack goes, it's pretty damn good. Northern Cave is one really good looking stage (even if it can be blinding at points) and shows the craftmanship Sakurai and his team is capable of. It's also a good stage whether competitively or casually, so that's a plus. The music tracks are a solid collection of music ripped from the original sources and remixes - although I'm a bit surprised no FF7R nor other FF tracks made it through. Licensing issues, I suppose. I have no complaints about the Spirits aside from a relatively minor nitpick: Cloud not getting his AC render.

All in all, Sephiroth's a character whose strengths and weaknesses are clearly defined and feels like a villain through and through. His design is a really elegant one, and the character fits his personality. Honestly, I'm happy over the fact that he got included.

(Weird character interaction sidenote: You wanna know how the canon matchup goes? :ultcloud: vs. :ultsephiroth: ? Most players involved consider that one even, although volatile as all hell. It all depends on a couple things. If the Sephiroth manages to wall the Cloud out and play the projectile game the Sephiroth can make the Cloud dance his dance. Sephiroth has no issues killing Cloud. Kinda fitting to the whole "puppet" spiel. However, if the Cloud player manages to outmanuever the Sephiroth and get in he can deal a lot of damage in a hurry - and Sephiroth's light, Cloud has no issues killing him either. Which kinda fits the original FF7's and AC's ending. For example, this match between Ned and Kola's Cloud.)

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Almost 3 more days until smash ultimate hype train ends.

this is the time when we can likely see a leak or hint in social media. Be careful if you don’t want to be spoiled.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I loved sephiroth’s inclusion. Without sephiroth’s inclusion I’d have never known who sephiroth was and I’d never had discovered one wing angel which to this day I still Listen to on my iTunes.

also glad sephiroth’s inclusion happened as it gave us the Sega theory

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well time for my intense countdown soundtrack

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Sephiroths inclusion was easily my favorite of fighter pass 2 and my hypest reaction overall since he didn't leak. He was the perfect sleeper want that I never thought would happen thanks to the cloud troubles, I popped off super hard lol. Playing the original ff7 right now because of how excited his inclusion got me tbh, I never played ff7 but I was fan of thier designs and one winged angel as a kid thanks to advent children and kingdom hearts.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
As someone who really wanted a couple other Square characters (primarily Neku and 2B)... Sephiroth was still such a cool addition. I didn't even play FF7, but the reveal was executed perfectly, the moveset is great, and I love that we got more Final Fantasy content after Cloud didn't really come with much.

Gameplay-wise, he's an interesting character archetype. He has huge range and is surprisingly mobile especially with the wing, but also has a decent amount of startup on his attacks and is light as a feather. I think volatile is the best word to describe how it feels playing him -- he has insane kill power but can also get killed super early. In that sense, a match as or against a Sephiroth is never boring. I'd have to check my switch to know for sure, but I know he's in my top 4 most played DLC characters -- Byleth at the top, followed by some ordering of Joker, Sephiroth, and Pyra/Mythra.

The stage is also a lot of fun. Nothing crazy in terms of layout -- it's kind of a Kalos/FD fusion. That said, the background is visually impressive, and I've found a lot of funny early kills thanks to the platforms and side blast zone positions. The music is also top notch -- that remix of the FF7 main theme that Motoi Sakuraba did is the most Tales-sounding Final Fantasy song I've ever heard.

The only downside to Sephiroth's challenger pack I have is the lack of variety in his alts. Cloud has a similar problem too -- I guess it's a Final Fantasy thing.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I can’t say anything about Sephiroth that hasn’t already been said. It was basically a perfect reveal.

As for Miis, Sans is the most hype I’ve been since Ridley. I laughed myself out of breath, and then kept laughing. The mix of a series I really wanted to see included, and the massive amount of meme potential lead to something that is going to be nigh impossible to top for me.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Sephiroth

My god what a reveal. This is the most shocked & excited I’ve ever been for a Smash reveal. I had briefly speculated about his chances but I didn’t think it’d happen. I let out a stunned “NO!” as soon as I heard that first note. I then proceeded to lose my mind.

This reveal was made all the better due to me playing both the OG FF7 & the remake last year. I fell in love with both games & they’re two of my favorite games ever.

I absolutely love how Sephiroth plays. He’s my co-main now. He just feels so good when I get to play as him. All of his attacks feel so good to land. & I just feel like a badass when I play as him especially when I get that sweet, sweet victory screen.

Sephiroth’s stage is solid. It’s not my favorite but I like playing on it. The music he came with is the glow-up of the game. FF7 went from 2 songs to a full roster of great music. I ADORE the remix of Aerith’s theme, it’s so good.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Sephiroth was such a surprise. If you think about it, the circumstances around his inclusion are astonishing. They picked Sephiroth out of the many iconic FF7 characters, out of the many FF candidates in general, and out of the many Square characters in general. A combination of Sakurai wanting to improve FF's content and the FF7 Remake being the hot new thing was probably the factors that pushed Sephiroth into the roster. He was such a shock and not many people had him in mind, let alone predicted him.

But I'm glad that he made it. Not only to make FF's content equal to other third parties, but his inclusion in general is awesome. For one, he gave us the most badass top tier trailer. This man straight up one shotted the final boss then proceeded to terrorize the Smash crew. The buildup was excellent too. As soon as I heard One Winged Angel I was like "No ******* way!" Then they showed that iconic shot of him looking edgy in front of the fire and that's when it really hit that god dam Sephiroth made it in. They did a lot of cool **** in that trailer like having the MIdgar stage get cut in half and have Sephiroth swing at it at the last second to make it look like he cut it himself. Oh yeah, and Mario nearly dies too. And the CGI looks fantastic, you can tell they spent most of the character trailer budget on this. It was a great looking trailer. This is easily within my top 3 favorite reveals alongside Everyone is Here and the Belmonts' trailer.

Oh yeah and I haven't even gotten to his moveset. This guy is super scary to fight against, it really feels like you are fighting a boss. He is so fun to play as with all the tricks he has up his sleeve. Like you can use a final smash against someone and their shield can break. Then you can use giga flare to wipe your enemy out. Theoretically you could use this combo on someone who is at 0% and you can get a free stock. That is ******* and I love it.

And his content is great too. The spirit board is actually the largest out of all the DLC characters. The music is wonderful with some great remixes and the stage, while a bit plain, looks so dam cool. Sephiroth has to be my third favorite DLC character behind Steve and Pythra.

BTW I am looking forward to tomorrow. I will make a giant writeup for Pyra/Mythra as I love Xenoblade 2 so much so I want to share my story with you all.

Moonfire

Smash Rookie
Sephiroth:
By far my favorite character of FP2 (so far?). Others have already covered the perfection that is his reveal trailer so I won't gush about it. The fact the team even included the Sephiroth Challenge was a great touch that deepened my admiration for their undeniable attention to detail. Really brought me back to grinding his KH1 battle until I could do it without taking damage back in the PS2 days.

From a gameplay perspective his moveset just "clicks" for me. He's probably the closest any character has come to replacing Link as my main. I love the concept of his stage and his Classic Mode being a boss rush is really cool.

Mii Costume Poll:
They've all been good, but the most recent Round has to be my favorite because, while bittersweet, it's nice to have some of those characters acknowledged at all.

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
In terms of Sephiroth, as much as I’ve voiced my displeasure with how many times an RPG rep has been chosen, credit where credit is due: he’s honestly the only DLC character that I like to use.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Sephiroth will forever remain one of the sickest reveals in this series for me. Such an unexpected but welcome addition, had one of the best trailers, helped flesh out the incredibly barebones FF7 representation and imo is one of the most fun characters in the game. I don't see a world where he returns in the next game but I'm just glad he made it into this game.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
There's one thing Sephiroth's reveal did that I commend:

He gave hope.
He gave hope to a lot of people that more villains could show up as part of FP2

Dr. Eggman.
Diablo.
M. Bison.
Fawful
Nemesis.

And did another villain show up? I'd say so... :ultkazuya:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I like Sepiroth for being a great character rather than just the lad from a great, representable series. The fact he has a personality of his own makes his pick less cynically business-like than some of the previous DLC

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Sephiroth's a very near perfect addition.

He has easily the best trailer with all the ridiculous love shown to Advent Children and knowing it was him from the very first note of OWA, he's really fun to use, his classic mode is really cool, he came with a fantastic stage, he came with some amazing music. Honestly my only complaints are that there could have been a lot more music but rights are a pain and the Sephiroth Challenge was underwhelming, in part because Smash AI is pretty ****, albeit a very cool idea.

Cloud also got an Advent Children Omnislash added in for those alts which is really cool too

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Sephiroth was honestly was one of the last characters I expected to get in. I kinda assumed they'd be going one unique rep per franchise, and even then, I expected them to prioritize another FF game.

Wasn't too crazy about his inclusion, but I enjoy him well enough. He's decently fun and he came with some well needed FF content.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:ultsephiroth: . So popular that he will never be a memory. Latin chroruses follow him whereever he goes. Brought in the rest of the FF7 content.

Dis pear.

Sephiroth was never a speculation favorite - while he was part of the Seven Squares list most people focused on characters like Geno, 2B alongside quite a lot of other characters. Instead, his reveal in TGA 2020 came as a major shock - it's evident in not only Maximillian's reaction, but also the general reaction towards the villain. In fact, I do consider it the best trailer if only because Sakurai just decided to recreate Advent Children. Sakurai proceeded to offer the "Sephiroth Challenge": a way to get him playable easrly provided you beat his boss fight. Hey, it was a nice bonus.

Competitively speaking: initially he was believed to be a contender for top tier, although his weaknesses and him not overwhelming tournaments so far has caused a revision down to "top of high tier" territory currently. The most prominent Sephiroth main is probably Ned, a :ultpokemontrainer: player who really liked how Sephiroth plays and chose to add him alongside his PT. Notably he got 2nd in the first post-Bad Year US major using mainly Sephiroth. Other notable mains include Niko in the US and Masashi in Japan, who use Sephiroth together with their :ultcloud: and have achieved strong regional results with the duo.

(What goes on inside their - and other player who main Cloud / Sephiroth - heads when debating who to use. :4pacman: )

Sephiroth's moveset solidify him as a hybrid between the glass cannon / turtle archetypes, and his Specials highlight this. Flare is a slow but highly damaging fireball that can be charged up its Megaflare and Gigaflare counterparts. Its slow start up prevents it from being spammed, although it covers ledge options extremely well and its ability to be charge cancelled until Gigaflare allows it to work as a mindgame. Shadow Flare is highly commital - it does little shield damage nor is it safe close - but highly effective at mindgames and pressuring opponents. Not least since Sephiroth can turn around just before firing. If the move lands the orbs will likely force the opponent into either A) Shield, which leaves them vurnerable to Sephiroth's shield breaks, B) Go on the offensive and risk trading or C) Try to time an airdodge to avoid the orbs, which gives Sephiroth an opportunity to strike after. Blade Slash is a charged Fire Fox in a sense: it can be used as a movement option or charged into the highly damaging but really commital Octaslash. It doesn't cover that much distance, but can be really difficult to challenge. Scintilla is a counter that only hits in front, will always activate and has a damage cap of 25 %... but Scintilla is a GROSS counter. Second strongest multiplier alongside :ultkrool: 's Gut Check and :ultbrawler: 's Counter Throw, freezes the opponent right before the counter comes out and can stifle recoveries (with a hitbox) like no tomorrow.

For his normals he uses the Masamune, and it has different sweetspots. To writ:
  • For slashing attacks, the sweetspot is located approximately at the middle of the Masamune's blade, while a sourspot covers the inner blade and handle, and a mediumspot at the tip. The sweetspot for slashing attacks is signified by a glowing area in the middle of the swing.
  • For stabbing attacks, the sweetspot is located at the tip of the Masamune's blade, while the mediumspot is at the blade.
His sword attacks are generally on the slow side, but the range and often high damage makes them still a threat that others have to deal with. F-Tilt and F-Air are excellent pokes even if they require precise timing, U-Tilt is a scoop that has little horizontal reach but amazing vertical reach: It hits the top Battlefield platform from ground level and can tipper there. Oh it's the third strongest U-Tilt in the game when tippered too, surpassing :ultsnake: 's but below :ultmegaman: 's in terms of power. U-Air is a really bloody big swing that can juggle pretty damn well even if it's commital. B-Air KOes extremely early, especially in his Winged form. D-Air - the Aerith killer - is extremely good at edge guarding / two-framing due to how long Masamune is and can be used as a follow up to a footstool. The Smash attacks are generally hugely committal, but if sweetspoted can prove extremely dangerous or lethal. D-Smash is of particular note since it can shieldbreak if spaced properly.

Those are further complemented by his other moves and throws: Dash Attack and D-Tilt are useful "get off me!" tools that in the former case can kill, N-Air is another such move that can combo, and he possesses a very strong grab game. D-Throw has quite a few follow ups, B-Throw can be followed up with a B-Air for a mindgame or even sometimes kill confirm, and the oher throws have solid utility.

Then we have the Wing. The comeback / snowball factor. While it is somewhat unreliable due to the situation-dependent % it activates, it is nevertheless an extremely dangerous upgrade. His base stats go through the ****ing roof - a 1.3X damage increase coupled with major boosts to ground and air speed means that he'll be able to approach or retreat with much more impunity. He gains quite a lot of super armor frames on his Smash Attacks, making him very dangerous to try and out-read as well. Probably most importantly he gains access to a second double jump - boosting his recovery and making his mix up game more dangerous on top. The activation % can be roughly summarized as:

And time to get into how the Wing works. Because it is surprisingly wonky and I only learned about this yesterday when looking him up. Specifically, and I'mma lift this section from SSBWiki:

The main source of point detractions are: A) If Sephiroth takes a stock, he will lose 50 points. These points won't be detracted if the opponent self-destructs.
B) An amount of points equivalent to 0.3 (0.15 in doubles) * base damage will be detracted when Sephiroth attacks. The damage calculation will ignore any multiplier, such as the 1v1 multiplier, Winged Form's own multipliers or stale-move negation.

Also, the maximum amount of points is updated dynamically based on the score difference. Should Sephiroth's accumulated lost points exceed the new maximum, Winged Form will be deactivated immediately.

In short, it doesn't deactivate instantly because it follows a points system, and even though him taking a stock means he loses 50 points, chances are pretty decent he'll have leftover points since an even situation will have him start Winged Form with 90 points (and the other main source of point detraction, damage, might not have accumulated enough).

His weaknesses are worth noting though. The extremely light weight on par with :ultkirby: and :ultmewtwo: alongside his fast falling speed makes him very susceptible to being comboed and KOed really early. His sword swings have notable ending lag and can be notoriously difficult to sweetspot (U-Air is the best example of this), making his damage racking or even KO potential rather inconsistent. He can also have significant problems hitting small characters like :ultkirby: and :ultdiddy: . If Sephiroth's already had Winged Form during a certain stock, he can't regain it unless he's KOed. In addition, while Winged Form is extremely powerful it's snowball / comeback potential is limited by the point deduction. His Specials have their own weaknesses (such as Scintilla's previously mentioned inability to cover behind Sephiroth), discouraging reckless use.

Casually I kinda suspect he does well when people are clumped up and he can either toss projectiles or attack with his impressive AoE. The light weight does mean that he's going to be killed early by items / ATs / whatever, but in return Winged Form can help him at least clean house. While the Final Smash has weak launch power for FS standards (come on, Sephiroth, you blow up entire Solar Systems and still can't blow up the people caught in them :roll: ) its compensated by its variety of RNG effects.

As far as the Challenger Pack goes, it's pretty damn good. Northern Cave is one really good looking stage (even if it can be blinding at points) and shows the craftmanship Sakurai and his team is capable of. It's also a good stage whether competitively or casually, so that's a plus. The music tracks are a solid collection of music ripped from the original sources and remixes - although I'm a bit surprised no FF7R nor other FF tracks made it through. Licensing issues, I suppose. I have no complaints about the Spirits aside from a relatively minor nitpick: Cloud not getting his AC render.

All in all, Sephiroth's a character whose strengths and weaknesses are clearly defined and feels like a villain through and through. His design is a really elegant one, and the character fits his personality. Honestly, I'm happy over the fact that he got included.

(Weird character interaction sidenote: You wanna know how the canon matchup goes? :ultcloud: vs. :ultsephiroth: ? Most players involved consider that one even, although volatile as all hell. It all depends on a couple things. If the Sephiroth manages to wall the Cloud out and play the projectile game the Sephiroth can make the Cloud dance his dance. Sephiroth has no issues killing Cloud. Kinda fitting to the whole "puppet" spiel. However, if the Cloud player manages to outmanuever the Sephiroth and get in he can deal a lot of damage in a hurry - and Sephiroth's light, Cloud has no issues killing him either. Which kinda fits the original FF7's and AC's ending. For example, this match between Ned and Kola's Cloud.)
I know it works on a point system; I just think it’s dumb.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Sephiroth one of the worst inclusions in smash History. His sword is waaay too long.

For the record, it was this exact moment that Smash as we knew it died, and something absolutely beautiful took its place.
what does this mean?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't miss out on Sephiroth reflection day. I'm one of the only people I can remember ever saying "his sword's not that long" as a response to why he could "never" work as a fighter in Smash.

I can't say I was too hyped for his reveal, although his trailer is dope, but maybe a little too Advent Children. Seeing him was very obviously curtains for Geno but it was hard to be mad when so many people were stoked for him. It helps a lot that they released him so quickly after the reveal.

Gameplay wise, I love him. There were a few hangups for me at first, but I learned to get past them and he would be my main if his aerials had fewer frames of landing lag. He's a very strong secondary now, though, and that's good enough.

He's honestly my favorite DLC character and it is extremely unlikely that 11 will outdo him. If I didn't want to keep my Switch tournament ready (for the tournaments I guess I'll never be able to attend again), Sephiroth is the only character I would have purchased. It sucks that he ended up costing 55 bucks and isn't even Sm4sh Bayonetta tier.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Sephiroth.... Mhmhmhmhhm. He's fantastic. I wish more pros labbed him. Ned has taken him far but he needs more.... I still think he could be a top tier like top 5. Best reveal trailer, awesome moveset, beautiful design (shirtless is well done kinda reminds me of Liquid Snake actually).... Ok back to bed I go.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I was sold on Sephiroth as soon as I saw that trailer. Why can't all the trailers be like that? Isabelle impales Mario

Anyway, trailer aside since I'm sure it's been talked to death at this point, I don't have much to say about Sephiroth. He has the coolest win screen, he's a very unique zoner, and has what is probably the most elegantly designed comeback mechanic in the game.

His stage, Northern Cave, is also super epic, though it does commit the sin of going from very dark to very light, which I think is the main problem when it comes to flashy stages like it and Final Destination. The flare at the end can also make it harder to see the characters before they're properly silhouetted against the back light as well. The music is good too, though that one canyon theme kind of fails to fit either of the Final Fantasy stages. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom