• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So...we are talking about Sora again, after NateDrake said he isn't happening and how the 4chan leak is completely fake and implies Sakurai would wait until July to get presentation music for a character chosen in 2019 and most likely already finished in that month.

This reminds me of when this thread said Rayman got information killing his chances, then three months later was talking about him getting in without saying that evidence was faked.
Is it really that far out there that Nintendo would have to license music for the presentation itself? Given how Disney is, I wouldn't be surprised if the legal process had to be started that far out. As someone who's put in a ****-ton of research on Sora and Disney, it's completely in character for Disney.
What's everyone's current prediction.

I'm currently on Ahri.
I'm keeping my hopes down so I'm betting Ronaldinho Chungus

Last edited:

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
Octoling or Off The Hook.

On the topic of Cinderace doomposting, I actually like Cinderace but I have to admit he is the worst pick of the generation as all of the other ones would be really realy cool
Not disparaging Octoling, I love the design, but I think they are too similar to Inkling. I know Splatoon has a plethora of weapons to choose from, but I think they work better in as an Echo Fighter. Easier to implement and still feel true to form for the character.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Not disparaging Octoling, I love the design, but I think they are too similar to Inkling. I know Splatoon has a plethora of weapons to choose from, but I think they work better in as an Echo Fighter. Easier to implement and still feel true to form for the character.
Generally, I’d agree, but the question wasn’t about want but about prediction and Splatoon seems like a series that‘s in the hot seat for getting a DLC booster pack and Octoling is very popular. My main prediction is Off The Hook though for the exact reason you mentioned.

Might make a post about Octoling moveset potential and my issues and solutions for it.

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
Generally, I’d agree, but the question wasn’t about want but about prediction and Splatoon seems like a series that‘s in the hot seat for getting a DLC booster pack and Octoling is very popular. My main prediction is Off The Hook though for the exact reason you mentioned.

Might make a post about Octoling moveset potential and my issues and solutions for it.
I feel you. To be honest, I’m kind of glad this will all be over soon. 😂

I’m predicting a Pokémon myself only because it seems to be a hot topic right now with the Diamond and Pearl remakes, Legends: Arceus, and Sword & Shield missing out on a place in Smash (other than a Spirit Event; which oddly enough people use against the potential of Pokémon getting a DLC character.)

I’ll ascend if it’s Sora though. Full astral projection.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
99% confident in Cinderace
At least be confident in a good Pokémon.

Like, is there a reason Cinderace is the predicted one by the masses other than to justify and double down on the intense pessimism surrounding Pokémon? Would people still see Pokémon as a worst-case scenario if Rillaboom or Zacian/Zamazenta was the most predicted one?

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Aside from Mii costumes, what sort of “external” DLC could you have wanted to see, seperate from each Fighter Pass? I would have loved to see them go through with bringing back the rest of the stages that didn’t make the cut.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
At least be confident in a good Pokémon.

Like, is there a reason Cinderace is the predicted one by the masses other than to justify and double down on the intense pessimism surrounding Pokémon? Would people still see Pokémon as a worst-case scenario if Rillaboom or Zacian/Zamazenta was the most predicted one?
First off, Cinderace is the most predicted Pokémon because it's the most promoted Gen 8 mon from what I can tell.
Second, I don't exactly see Rillaboom or the legendaries as "better" choices personally. I don't like any of the starters and I don't really care about legendaries most of the time.
That's all I got to say for today

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
First off, Cinderace is the most predicted Pokémon because it's the most promoted Gen 8 mon from what I can tell.
Second, I don't exactly see Rillaboom or the legendaries as "better" choices personally. I don't like any of the starters and I don't really care about legendaries most of the time.
I like Cinderace out of the starters the most, but for Smash I think a soccer player is harder to implement than someone carrying a drum around. The former I fear is just gonna be a lot of kicks and only a situational soccer ball projectile and the latter at least has flair

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
Is it really that far out there that Nintendo would have to license music for the presentation itself? Given how Disney is, I wouldn't be surprised if the legal process had to be started that far out. As someone who's put in a ****-ton of research on Sora and Disney, it's completely in character for Disney.

I'm keeping my hopes down so I'm betting Ronaldinho Chungus
Hasn’t it been mentioned that with Hero’s trailer that the music the used isn’t in Smash itself? From what I’ve heard, that’s a whole other negotiation in order to use that track. I’m no corporate lawyer so I don’t know how that would go down behind the scenes, but I’m sure it’s a somewhat lengthy process when beloved IPs are involved.

I think it’s just another instance of the whole “Disney is notoriously hard to work with.” argument that gets stretched and twisted to fit a narrative against Sora’s potential inclusion. I don’t think the leak is real, and I want to be wrong. Just seems a little to vague. Even with the guessing of the correct date of the presentation.

I also don’t believe the person on Twitter coming out as the leaker because it just seemed like a “pick me” attention grab. The reasoning behind why they made the leak was shifty and bizarre.

We will know in 3 days. Until the very end, I will support Sora.

P.S. Who on Earth is NateDrake, and what exactly is his claim to insider information?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Sephiroth...

For Me, Sephiroth is the First character added to Smash Ultimate that actually got my Really excited. The only other times I've gotten Hyped about the game was with Everyone is Here, Sans Mii Costume, and Enderman being an Alt.

I think people already said how Sephiroth's Reveal Trailer is the Awesome and the Best, no questions asked, so Instead What I'll do is showcase that there was a time period I was being fanatical about Sephiroth (From a change of Pace regarding Shadow)

Sephiroth's Sword is not too big - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (gamespot.com)

Sephiroth can be balanced - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (gamespot.com)

I Can't believe we might actually get Sephiroth in Smash... - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (gamespot.com)

Vase Theory might be hinting at Sephiroth - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (gamespot.com)

Before Joker was revealed, I was actually banking on Sephiroth being one of the DLC Characters. He's a Cool Character, and I also thought he was likely, so I decided to go ahead add my Speculation

After Game Awards, I kind of dropped it because I wasn't feeling to well about Sephiroth's Chances, especially when it would later turn out Hero was in the game. I never did actually gain as much confidence in Sephiroth until he actually got in, but Over the Period of FP2, I did start to think of him as Real Possibility, even made a Crack theory around him

New Theory: The Estelleoroth Theory! - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (gamespot.com)

I'll still say I never actually did Predict a character, because I wasn't sure on sephiroth to make him one of the 6 choices for FP2, but had him as possiblity, but don't count that. I did predict how'd be balanced though, but I'm sure others managed to do that also

On Sephiroth himself in the Actual Smash Video Game, He's definitely my Favorite Newcomer added to Smash Ultimate, along with another character we'll end up getting down the road. Even when the DLC Honeymoon period was over, Sephiroth ended up becoming one of my most played characters

What I like about Playing Sephiroth is that he feels like a Boss Character, but Balanced. Sephiroth has Alot of Powerful Moves, Great Mobilty, and Long, LONG Range, but he requires Precision. Every Action he does requires great Commitment, His Hitboxes while long might actually lack in Wide Coverage, along with the Additions of Sweetspots and Sourspots, so you actually need to know where to Place your Moves, and his Very Light so making Mistakes with him is Costly

Sephiroth seems like the Type of character that would only grant power to those Worthy of it, So to use his Boss like Powers to the fullest, you must attain the worthiness to Wield it.

What I also like about Sephiroth is that while he is a Simple Character, the Most Simple in FP2, his uniqueness comes in the Intracricies of his moves. He does have the One Wing Mechanic, but it's nothing that's ground breaking. His Sword Swings are not really like any other Sword Character, His Specials might have Counterparts already in Smash, but the attributes of those moves really add a Flavor to his moveset you don't get with many characters

I don't know if anyone has touched on it, but they Did a very Impeccable job of capturing the "Swag" of Sephiroth. His Animations are top-notch, and perfectly showcase his Personality and character. Sephiroth seems himself as a God, or God-like Figure, and you see this with how He exerts power, but without exerting much effort himself. Moves like Forward Air, Up Tilt, Down tilt just have him poking at the Opponent like Food. His Regular Sword swings look very Casual in nature, Even with his Smash attacks, which while they look more convincing in exerting power and Conviction, still have a air of Playfulness. Even moves that don't use his Sword Showcase him Toying around. The Snap Nair is just a Quick showcase of Sephiroth creating power just with a Snap of his Fingers, Sephirtoh's Down tilt compared to Cloud's doesn't look as Quick to act, more like more of a "Gotcha" cheeky move. Even the Jab has Sephiroth saying "I'm flailing my Limbs and yet you still Fall" Even his Specials don't even seem like they are having much Effort put into them from Sephiroth himself. All he does is Snap at you with Shadow Flare, and that's all he needs to Cause Despair in his Opponents

This is also all captured by the Amazing Sound effects of his Moves. You can hear the difference in Sweetspot and Sourspot moves, You feel the Explosive power of his Flare moves. Octoslash sounds Very Quick, yet so powerful. The Sound when someone hits the Barrier of his Scintilla sounds like the confirmation of ones Destruction. even the Snap Move sounds like the Space around Sephiroth is bending to his Will

I also thinking Comparing him to Cloud, you can tell that while they are Unique from each other, they also posses Similarities perhaps in how they Move. You already see this in stuff like Down Tilt, Back Air, etc, but I think even the Philosophy of the moves showcases this also

Cloud, while he Still Moves very Swaggy, Takes things much more Seriously compared to Sephiroth, like he's on a Mission everytime he fights. He Fights like everything is on the Line, while Sephiroth fights like he has all the time in the World, because eventually he will have his way. Cloud fights to neutralize his Opponents Effciently, and gives everything he's Got. Sephiroth fights to Showcase his Power and Dispel any myth than any person can match up to him

Even just look at how their Power-Ups come along. When Cloud gets Limit, You can feel the heart of Cloud as even the Screen and Game feel the power of his Limit break. You can feel the emotion of Cloud having just break his Limit, he's really giving it all he's got because he's know what's at stake if he loses. Compare to Sephiroth where when he gets Wing, It just comes out casually. even despite the Causal Nature, the Screen Darkens because Sephiroth decides to show just an ounce of actual effort for once.

I think the only things I wish they changed about Sephiroth

-I kind of wish they Changed how One Wing worked. The Problem I have with it is that in Free For Alls, since there are more than one Opponent, Often times because Killing someone takes away so many points, that you end up Losing Wing when you still haven't even things out. I think they should either change it so Opponents must be at the Same Stock as Sephiroth for the Wing to Go Away, or they should Decrease the amount of Points Sephiroth Loses when killing someone in Free For alls

Alternatively, They could perhaps make it so there's way of Gaining Points back to Keep One Wing longer. Perhaps actions like Parrying moves, Using Certain Attacks (Perhaps Moves that don't use his Sword), or Surviving for Long Periods of time will allow you to Keep One Wing for Longer. Let Sephiroth be able to Snowball even harder if the Opponent is good enough

-I wish they Added more Moves that Sephiroth can do. The 4 that comes to Mind are Black Materia: Meteor, The Flame Pillar move (from Kingdom Hearts), His Sword Stab move (that he did on Cloud...and Also Mario), and Heartless Angel. I especially want that Meteor move because Summoning Meteors is very Epic. Of course since there's only so many moves you can add to a Smash character, perhaps they could add these when a Future Smash game allows for Move moves to be added

I like the Stage and the Music of course. Also while Sephiroth's Alts are Limited, I think they do look Cooler than Clouds, and plus there is the Shirtless alt also.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The thing with Octoling is that I don’t like Inkling’s moveset, and substituting the random grab bag of weapons with a new one is just kinda lame but Octoling supporters rightly tout it as an option because it’s a quick way to get a new set.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, since this is Sephiroth day, I may as well say this again: I love the character, but I'm more baffled about the fact that I brainstormed his reveal at TGAs back in 2018:
Also, as another comment in favour of Sephiroth, let's just think about this for a moment: for any reason we'll hear a song before the character and scenario pop up, now think about the huge crowd at TGAs and how they'd react:
*If they play a DQ song, chances are not many will recognize it.
*Same with Chrono Trigger.
*If they play Forest Maze or that song where Geno enters into the doll, many will rejoice.
*If they play any of the recognizable KH songs, chances are the crowd will scream of happiness.
*Now, imagine what would happen if they hear One Winged Angel instead. People are gonna lose their minds.
And then, two years later, that very reveal happened. Almost like stars decided to throw me a bone I had completely forgotten about.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What's everyone's current prediction.

I'm currently on Ahri.
I'm fully expecting Cinderace, with all of the Mii costumes being similar to Dante, Shantae, etc. where they're popular characters but the developers weren't able to make them playable because the line-up had already been decided. (Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, Ryu Hayabusa, etc.)

I don't think they'll do what was done in Sephiroth's presentation and show the Mii costumes first, though - that seems potentially mean-spirited. (at least once Sephiroth was announced, we could guess who was going to be made into a Mii costume - in this case, we have no idea who the fighter is)

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Octoling reminds me of when I used to argue that if they included Daisy she could be unique, but wouldn't be.

I feel the same of Octoling.
Yes, though now there’s the added layer of DLC. If they want to push Octoling now (which is reasonable considering Splatoon 3 is coming up and Splatoon 2 was a big deal) I can see them going out of their way to make them unique to justify the 5.99.

Moonfire

Smash Rookie
Master Chief is my current prediction
Yeah I'm right there with you. For months now I've had a gut feeling that he'd be the final pick, despite everything that (rightfully) gets brought up against it.

That may just be the defeatist side of me talking though, because I'm wishing for Doomguy and expecting the worst. (Nothing against those who want Chief of course, he's a great fit for Smash. I just personally prefer the first FPS rep. be Doomguy, unpopular though that opinion may be.)

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Sora is my guess for the final fighter, I think since he topped most of the polls in every area and the fact its potentially the last smash character ever I think nintendo spent the big money to go out with a bang. Master Chief is my hope though but it seems so unlikely at this point. Microsoft doesn't understand what they have.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yes, though now there’s the added layer of DLC. If they want to push Octoling now (which is reasonable considering Splatoon 3 is coming up and Splatoon 2 was a big deal) I can see them going out of their way to make them unique to justify the 5.99.
If they wanted to push Splatoon, then yes, perhaps they'd do that.

But I don't think they will. Ultimate touched down after both Splatoon 1 and 2 came out, so those games aren't unaccounted for. And Splatoon 3 is a 2022 game; that doesn't align with DLC selection. I mean it's not even going to come out until probably half a year after DLC ends.

You've also got to consider Splatoon doesn't have a rotating lead like Xenoblade or FE. Nor does it lack representation, like ARMS. That doesn't translate to being a series pushed via DLC. That puts it in the same camp as Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, etc. And those games don't really get promotional additions.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
My guess would be Crash and Sora, as likely as those two would be. However, at this rate, I am pretty fine with anyone who gets announced.

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
Sora is my guess for the final fighter, I think since he topped most of the polls in every area and the fact its potentially the last smash character ever I think nintendo spent the big money to go out with a bang. Master Chief is my hope though but it seems so unlikely at this point. Microsoft doesn't understand what they have.
It could be either or! Don’t give up hope until Tuesday. They each have their merit and legacy.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well.....that certainly was a surprise. What I thought was to happen was that the person coming to set up the internet for us was just only going to do the modem while me and my family had to wait until Friday for our router to be at our new house and get the WiFi, but the person who set up our internet ended up giving us a free router as part of the deal, so now we have WiFi. Didn't really expect that to happen, but I'm not complaining.
Sell me- the guy who thinks that SEGA will be the company for CP11 -on Phantasy Star. What would it bring and why should it be considered?
What would it bring? First off, the awesome music.
https://smashboards.com/threads/dlc-speculation-discussion-volume-ii.509845/post-24445767 - My music post here since that one post has so many youtube videos.

Music aside, we'd get a Sci-Fi rep, which we don't have a lot. We have Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Pikmin, Mega Man and in terms of Sci-Fi Fantasy, Xenoblade and Final Fantasy VII. If it's Phantasy Star Online 2, I'm positive we'd get another Space stage, which we only have Lylet Cruise and to some extent Frigate Orpheon, since I think the most likely stage for PSO2 would be Oracle, the ARKS Space Fleet and the game's Main Hub World.
Depending on the character, we may get a character with a laser sword, which only Shulk and one Mii Swordfighter costume have. Possibly a giant laser sword, but there are potentially other weapons we could get:
  • The Wired Lance(basically, claw-like weapons that have wire extensions)
  • Rods(Staves)
  • Guns, like the Rifle or Twin Machine Guns
  • Twin Daggers
  • heck, maybe even a Double Saber user and while we have Pit and Dark Pit for double-bladed weapons, we don't have a double-bladed laser sword similar to Darth Maul.
That's mostly considering the Online series, which uses an Avatar character(which do have default names that could be used for the announcer) and a variety of different weapon types. Alis Landale would likely be the straight-forward Sword and shield user, with maybe some elements from Phantasy Star Online 2 since she has a PSO2 version for a possible Alternate. Possible PSO2 characters would be the Avatar/Guardian and Matoi, who is the most recurring NPC character in PSO2, although Quna would be interesting(and hilarious to see people's reactions to). The Avatar has alot of moveset potential due to the variety of weapons, like Swords, Wired Lances, Rifles, Twin Machine Guns, Double Sabers, etc. Matoi would be a Magic Staff user, using photon magic and a giant staff to fight with.

Why should it be considered?
I feel like Phantasy Star is one of those actual dark horse candidates when it comes to Smash. For one, it's finally starting to get back attention in the West after like, 8-9 years. So it's not entirely unknown. Two, the original Phantasy Star was an important and influential game, for both RPGs and Sega.
  • For RPGs, it was one of the first RPGs to have actual named main characters or Pre-determined characters rather than a character you gave a name to and sometimes could customize, one of the first ones to have a female lead, one of the first RPGs to use a science fiction setting compared to Tolkien fantasy, basically, it broke alot of molds that were created with Dragon Quest and Legend of Zelda.
  • For Sega, it was the game that gave rise to the legends Yuji Naka and Naoto Ohshima who would make Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as Nights and Burning Rangers. Yuji Naka would also make Phantasy Star II alongside legendary Sega artist and producer Rieko Kodama, who would direct Phantasy Star IV, both of which were critically acclaimed games, and Kodama would go on to produce Skies of Arcadia, which was also critically acclaimed. And Yuji Naka would also be responsible for Phantasy Star Online, which would be the inspiration and influence for Namco's .hack series and Capcom's Monster Hunter, and it was also credited for being the influence for alot of multiplayer dungeon crawlers that would flood in Japan after it's release.
    Without Phantasy Star and it's success, it is quite possible that alot of these games, especially Sonic the Hedgehog, may never have happened.
And last but not least, Phantasy Star II's Story Submission campaign was what inspired Sakurai to become a video game developer, as @Captain Shwampy re-posted a while ago.

So basically, despite not getting alot of attention for Smash speculation, Phantasy Star has actually had a real impact on gaming and developers, including Sakurai. To me, this series would make a lot of sense as a "Terry" pick, where it's not one that gets alot of attention speculation-wise and is overshadowed by alot of more popular picks like Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, etc. But it could be picked because of it's important influence to the gaming industry and the developers it inspired, like how Fatal Fury inspired Sakurai and was an important influence for Smash Bros.

I honestly don't believe that Phantasy Star is a lock. But I do think it has a reasonable chance. Will it bring the last fighter? Who knows? We have to wait and find out.
Basically, It's a series with a very influential and important past:
  • It was one of the first RPGs that had Pre-determined characters rather than customizable characters, a female lead, had a Sci-Fi setting rather than a Tolkian Fantasy setting, it broke alot of molds that were created and set-up by Dragon Quest and Legend of Zelda.
  • It's been getting attention back in the West thanks to it's release last year.
  • The first Phantasy Star gave rise to legends like Yuji Naka, Naoto Ohshima and Rieko Kodama, which in turn lead to the creation of Sonic the Hedgehog, Nights, Skies of Arcadia, Burning Rangers and Phantasy Star Online.
  • Phantasy Star Online would be the influence for a lot of dungeon crawler games in Japan, as well as Namco Bandai's .hack series and Capcom's Monster Hunter series.
  • And the Phantasy Star 2 Story Contest was the reason and inspiration for Sakurai to become a game developer, much like how Fatal Fury, Terry's game, was the game that inspired Sakurai to do a fighting game, which would become Smash Bros.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
If they wanted to push Splatoon, then yes, perhaps they'd do that.

But I don't think they will. Ultimate touched down after both Splatoon 1 and 2 came out, so those games aren't unaccounted for. And Splatoon 3 is a 2022 game; that doesn't align with DLC selection. I mean it's not even going to come out until probably half a year after DLC ends.

You've also got to consider Splatoon doesn't have a rotating lead like Xenoblade or FE. Nor does it lack representation, like ARMS. That doesn't translate to being a series pushed via DLC. That puts it in the same camp as Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, etc. And those games don't really get promotional additions.
To be fair, unlike the series you’ve mentioned, Splatoon doesn‘t have its mainstays in Smash yet. And, as far as Splatoon 3 goes, it wouldn’t be a promotional pick in the sense Corrin was, as the game has barely been revealed, but Splatoon 3 is coming up and marketing for it has started so a Splatoon character would definitely serve the purpose of adding to that. Even if the set doesn’t suddenly revolve around the Splat3 crossbow

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
It could be either or! Don’t give up hope until Tuesday. They each have their merit and legacy.
Oh they both deserve it big time it's just Master Chief while incredibly iconic is from a franchise that has been incredibly mishandled. I don't think Xbox believes in Halo anymore (based on 5 and infinite it seems like they really don't care or understand), I guarantee they had the option of Steve or Chief and they chose Steve even though Chief is thier mario...

Also Japan couldn't care less about Halo sadly lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom