• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
In regards to my prediction...

Well, hell if I know. We've been blindsided so many times in these past 3 years that my perception of exactly who's getting in has been completely destroyed, so I'm refusing to put my money anywhere concrete. I'm perfectly fine with whoever gets in at this point, everybody else has been amazing.

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
Oh they both deserve it big time it's just Master Chief while incredibly iconic is from a franchise that has been incredibly mishandled. I don't think Xbox believes in Halo anymore (based on 5 and infinite it seems like they really don't care or understand), I guarantee they had the option of Steve or Chief and they chose Steve even though Chief is thier mario...
I’ve never played Halo, but I’ve known people who did. I know enough about it and the series popularity to feel like Master Chief inclusion in Smash would be justified. When it comes to Halo vs. Minecraft though in terms of Microsoft, I honestly can’t blame them for going with Steve if that was the case. I mean, from a corporate standpoint, it’s a smart move. Minecraft’s popularity is remarkable. It gets Minecraft players wanting to play Smash and vice versa.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be fair, unlike the series you’ve mentioned, Splatoon doesn‘t have its mainstays in Smash yet.
That's not going to change it into the kind of series Nintendo looks to promote via DLC anymore than Forgotten Land is going to get them to put Bandana Dee in (assuming he's in that game).

Oh they both deserve it big time it's just Master Chief while incredibly iconic is from a franchise that has been incredibly mishandled. I don't think Xbox believes in Halo anymore (based on 5 and infinite it seems like they really don't care or understand), I guarantee they had the option of Steve or Chief and they chose Steve even though Chief is thier mario...

Also Japan couldn't care less about Halo sadly lol
I guarantee Nintendo had the option of Steve or Chief, but Microsoft isn't the one who chooses the characters.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I’ve never played Halo, but I’ve known people who did. I know enough about it and the series popularity to feel like Master Chief inclusion in Smash would be justified. When it comes to Halo vs. Minecraft though in terms of Microsoft, I honestly can’t blame them for going with Steve if that was the case. I mean, from a corporate standpoint, it’s a smart move. Minecraft’s popularity is remarkable. It gets Minecraft players wanting to play Smash and vice versa.
I probably would have done a Minecraft stage over a character with an Ender dragon stage boss or something but oh well. It is what it is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

This isn't how it works, Nintendo goes to the company and asks for a character, not the other way around. Also, Japan likes FPS games more than people said and JP Halo fans were very upset about a recasting for Chief

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Echo fighters are a great way to do something for a character that otherwise wasn't high on the priority list. Like... Daisy, or Dark Samus, the two most commonly brought up with regards to characters "wasted" as echoes.
While I understand wishing they had more differences, and certainly think they could - as N3ON mentioned - I'd say that, being a tad pragmatic here, it was either an echo fighter or nothing for those two. Naturally, the former is preferable.

Though really, even some slight attribute tweaks would have been nice. Daisy could have been made unable to float, and given more rushdown properties with her grounded attributes and normals. I'm one person and I could go code that right now and be done in an hour.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
That's not going to change it into the kind of series Nintendo looks to promote via DLC anymore than Forgotten Land is going to get them to put Bandana Dee in (assuming he's in that game).

I guarantee Nintendo had the option of Steve or Chief, but Microsoft isn't the one who chooses the characters.
It does help in my opinion. Adding a promotional character for Zelda or Metroid means adding a character that might not appear outside of the specific promoted game and might not even play the biggest role in it, because the mainstays have all been added. I can imagine Splatoon being fine with just Inklings, but Octolings are the alternate protagonists of the series AND the game itself (unlike someone like Bandana Dee, who isn’t the star of Star Allies and might not be a big player in Forbidden Land)

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
I genuinely have not even the slightest idea of who to predict if I were to throw my hat into that ring. Generally I think first-parties are bound to be more likely than third-parties just by virtue of not requiring any negotiations, but beyond that, I don't dare to wager.

I definitely know who I want it to be. But the odds are probably not low for that sadly not being the same thing as who it'll actually end up being.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

If they didn't believe in Halo they wouldn't be putting out Halo versions of controllers and Xboxes, much less giving the devs the opportunity for a lengthy delay and substantial, proper beta tests or keeping up all the multi-media stuff with both being very well received so clearly there's some understanding if the people who've actually engaged with them are by and large enjoying them.

People on this site have got to quit it with all the fearmongering over whatever they can think of because it's far beyond obnoxious.

kylexv

Smash Master
The only real prediction I have is that we're not getting Mii fighter costumes this time. We're gonna get 4 echo fighters to make a perfect square on the Character Select Screen.
The dream. Not only is the CSS perfectly rectangular with echoes not stacked, but it's also rectangular with echoes stacked. The best of both worlds.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Gonna do a FP2 retrospective (sans the last fighter obviously) on Kazuya's day. If I HAD to say something about Sephy right now it'd be that he has all the makings of a grand finale character for the same reasons everyone already mentioned.

Great reveal, great trailer, great moveset, great presentation, great character all around, really. He's like the character to end all characters and he's just dropped smack dab in the middle of the pass lol

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The dream. Not only is the CSS perfectly rectangular with echoes not stacked, but it's also rectangular with echoes stacked. The best of both worlds.
That'd be interesting to see but would have to come with two caveats.

1. They'd be more expensive than Mii costumes
2. They'd need to be echos of base game characters

With that idea in mind, and with the full knowledge that it wouldn't likely happen, here's my picks

1. Gooigi :ultluigi:
2. Hilda :ultzelda:
3. Roll :ultmegaman:
4. Metal Sonic :ultsonic:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sephiroth is... mixed for me.

On one hand, I really don't like that out of every Square Enix property they owned, they went back to Final Fantasy, and I really don't appreciate that it's specifically Final Fantasy 7 again, especially when he doesn't bring literally any non-FF7 content in any way. I'd always advocate for "expanding the Smash universe" and this is purely fanservice for people who are already MORE than well-fed lol.

That said, I really like Sephiroth as a villain and if there was to be another unique 3rd party double dip, I'm glad it's someone I like and not like... Shadow or Eggman (no offense Sonic fans).
His moveset is really great. Despite being an anime swordsman by appearance, his moves are all extremely unorthodox and his moves are very sluggish to account for the massive range. He's an extremely good character who's not terribly broken while also not relying on the orthodox "top tier" tools like Joker and Pyra/Mythra do. The blend of being unique, unorthodox, and good really makes him fun to use. The only gripe I have is the wing, which is just DLC for DLC's sake, but whatever I guess we should be used to that by now lol.
:happysheep:

Sad to say that as a Marth and Ike disciple, Sephiroth is both better and more fun than those 2 now...:sadsheep:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
My CSS will be a perfect square once FP11 drops, at least! Thanks to having Solo Pokémon and Giga Bowser modded onto it and all. There's more you can mod onto it, such as Solo Popo and Solo Nana, but 91 CSS slots is actually a hard limit. The game crashes if you try to open up any more. Me and epicmartin7 epicmartin7 tried to change that a while back, but no luck.

So I have everything set up so that FP11 totally fills it out.

1633207303713.png

Last edited:

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
People keep throwing out Cinderace's name cause it's being promoted decently enough, but :ultgreninja: was picked solely on concept art and:ultincineroar: was chosen down the line because of wrestling with Decidueye being considered. I'm pretty sure Sakurai is given multiple options when it comes to Pokemon picks. No need to default to only one choice every time the idea pops up.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
People keep throwing out Cinderace's name cause it's being promoted decently enough, but :ultgreninja: was picked solely on concept art and:ultincineroar: was chosen down the line because of wrestling with Decidueye being considered. I'm pretty sure Sakurai is given multiple options when it comes to Pokemon picks. No need to default to only one choice every time the idea pops up.
Not to mention :ultgreninja: was picked before it even had a name. When it comes to Pokémon, we can't just blindly look at who the big promotional 'Mon of the week is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
At the same time, base game needs more time in the oven to the point that concept art was all that was available, DLC is much more lenient and would have SwoShi very close to release at worst

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I assume this is a joke and imma get r/wooshed but miis have already been confirmed via the description of the livestream for those unaware.
I actually wasn't aware of that. Does anyone have a picture or tweet of this, just to confirm it?

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I genuinely have not even the slightest idea of who to predict if I were to throw my hat into that ring. Generally I think first-parties are bound to be more likely than third-parties just by virtue of not requiring any negotiations, but beyond that, I don't dare to wager.

I definitely know who I want it to be. But the odds are probably not low for that sadly not being the same thing as who it'll actually end up being.
This is the real mindset friends. There's probably a hundred characters out there who have a potential shot, and the past three years have just been curveball after curveball.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
This is the real mindset friends. There's probably a hundred characters out there who have a potential shot, and the past three years have just been curveball after curveball.
True, but the final character is still from Splatoon. :4pacman: Seriously though, I think it’s much more fun to go “all-in” on a stupid bet than to do the smart thing.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The final reveal, Sakurai Presents, and then the release all packed in a day... that sounds like one hell of a crash course.
And while far from certain... it's not impossible!

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Echo fighters are a great way to do something for a character that otherwise wasn't high on the priority list. Like... Daisy, or Dark Samus, the two most commonly brought up with regards to characters "wasted" as echoes.
While I understand wishing they had more differences, and certainly think they could - as N3ON mentioned - I'd say that, being a tad pragmatic here, it was either an echo fighter or nothing for those two. Naturally, the former is preferable.

Though really, even some slight attribute tweaks would have been nice. Daisy could have been made unable to float, and given more rushdown properties with her grounded attributes and normals. I'm one person and I could go code that right now and be done in an hour.
Where did this come from?

Anyway, I think Echo Fighters as a concept are fine, but in execution are inconsistent (likely since in practice they're just clones with an arbitrary label on them for PR reasons) and often lackluster. I mean, we have:
  • :ultdarksamus: No meaningful changes.
  • :ultdaisy: No meaningful changes.
  • :ultlucina: Better Marth.
  • :ultchrom: An actually interesting take on Roy.
  • :ultdarkpit: Pit with 2 Custom Special Moves.
  • :ultken: Semi-clone because why not?
  • :ultrichter: No meaningful changes.
Since 3/7 of the Echo Fighters aren't different enough to even notice any differences most of the time (beyond aesthetics) and 5/7 of them aren't different enough to have an identity separate from their source character, I can see why some people in a community that highly values uniqueness in characters don't want certain characters to be Echo Fighters. Ideally, they all have something to add in terms of gameplay, but in practice, you can really tell who they felt was worth putting effort into (I.E. pretty much just Ken, with Chrom and Dark Samus getting more out of necessity, though Dark Samus only got visual changes).

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the only characters that are unanimously wanted as Echo Fighters at this point are characters that the community itself specifically wouldn't want as a full fighter. It would explain why if someone brings up more silly or low priority (within the fandom's perception) picks like Gooigi or Funky Kong, everyone's on board, but if you bring up picks that people seriously consider like Shadow or the Octolings, you're met with "but they could bring so much more to the table" or "but they couldn't be correctly represented as an Echo Fighter".

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Where did this come from?
I started typing that when somebody was talking about Daisy's lack of uniqueness but had to go pick up the phone. Some relatives were wishing me happy birthday, as today is my birthday. When I was done, I finished typing it and hit send though the thread naturally had moved on.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I started typing that when somebody was talking about Daisy's lack of uniqueness but had to go pick up the phone. Some relatives were wishing me happy birthday. When I was done, I finished typing it and hit send though the thread naturally had moved on.
Ah OK. I wasn't there for the initial discussion.

Sakurai acknowledging an age-old internet meme was glorious.
Definitely one of the best things to come out of Richter's inclusions. Interestingly, it seems that the small differences to denote personality do actually make people favor Richter over Simon. (I'm not people, but how much of that is me preferring Simon's pallet swaps over Richter's, I don't know.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom