• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I wonder if any leakers will have the balls to leak the final character either a few days before or on the same day as FP11 is announced

on a somewhat unrelated note the Layton 2 ost mysteriously been taken down from iTunes. 4 days before the reveal of FP11. Probably doesn’t mean much for smash but who knows. It’s kinda weird to take it down.

my original speculation when the tracks were added to iTunes were either

they added Layton 1 and 2’ ost’s to iTunes because Layton could be last and they’re using Layton 3,4,5,6 and 7’s ost’s in smash which is why they avoided adding the rest to iTunes

or

they added Layton 1 and 2 to iTunes because Layton could be last and that’s where the songs are coming from if Layton is last.

With Layton 2 being taken off the iTunes Store now maybe it’s nothing but a level 5 problem. Who knows. Seems really weird that 4 days before FP11 reveal this happens. Most likely it’s a coincidence and nothing more.

if anyone has any ideas or why it was taken down feel free to say. Btw this was just fun speculation. It’s nothing concrete. It’s mostly reaching because I just wanna speculate whilst we wait for FP11’s reveal

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Putting so much energy into not wanting a character just feels like both a waste for energy and a setup for disappointment in case they get in.

There's some characters I don't want but if they get in I'll probably just cringe a little and then move on with my life.
The same can be said for the reverse. Some weirdos are way too invested, and disagreeing with them is like an attack on their character.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if any leakers will have the balls to leak the final character either a few days before or on the same day as FP11 is announced

on a somewhat unrelated note the Layton 2 ost mysteriously been taken down from iTunes. 4 days before the reveal of FP11. Probably doesn’t mean much for smash but who knows. It’s kinda weird to take it down.

my original speculation when the tracks were added to iTunes were either

they added Layton 1 and 2’ ost’s to iTunes because Layton could be last and they’re using Layton 3,4,5,6 and 7’s ost’s in smash which is why they avoided adding the rest to iTunes

or

they added Layton 1 and 2 to iTunes because Layton could be last and that’s where the songs are coming from if Layton is last.

With Layton 2 being taken off the iTunes Store now maybe it’s nothing but a level 5 problem. Who knows. Seems really weird that 4 days before FP11 reveal this happens. Most likely it’s a coincidence and nothing more.

if anyone has any ideas or why it was taken down feel free to say. Btw this was just fun speculation. It’s nothing concrete. It’s mostly reaching because I just wanna speculate whilst we wait for FP11’s reveal
Don't give me hope...

Jondolio

Smash Hero
The same can be said for the reverse. Some weirdos are way too invested, and disagreeing with them is like an attack on their character.
That's true, but at least when you're supporting a character you're channeling positive energy into something, and something good can come of it if said character gets in.

Focusing so much on a character you don't want is unhealthy and there are literally no positives other than a potential five minutes period of gloating when said character gets disconfirmed and rubbing it in people's face, and that just makes you look like a ****.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
That's true, but at least when you're supporting a character you're channeling positive energy into something, and something good can come of it if said character gets in.

Focusing so much on a character you don't want is unhealthy and there are literally no positives other than a potential five minutes period of gloating when said character gets disconfirmed and rubbing it in people's face, and that just makes you look like a ****.
Being too invested isn't good either. It isn't sunshine and rainbows and it's all the negative Nancy's who are toxic. I was doing the most playful Waluigi ribbing yesterday and I was blocked and called a bully in this thread. It's super weird.

The "well THAT side are detractors so they have to be more toxic" argument doesn't work. It's very easy to see the nasty side of the opposition depending on where you stand. Both sides need to chill and not take everything so personal.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I will say there's one Nintendo character I'm hoping it's not and that's the Chorus Kids.

I may be bad at Rhythm Heaven but I like the series charm. But those three... It's like one off those intentionally off-putting WarioWare levels that's around for a whole song and I don't think they're a good representation of the series outside of being allegedly singers. Now that I've said that, watch it be them and not the 25+ characters I listed yesterday.
Chorus Kids work perfectly because they’re a trio. A lot of the minigames involve completing a pattern established by two NPCs and reacting to other characters’ movements. While a rhythm fighter can work with just a singular entity, the Chorus Kids would make for a great visual indication of a rhythm fighter and would make it easier to make a rhythm based fighter happen as the player can establish a pattern with the first two Chorus kids, with the final one being a strong finishing move if its in the pre-established rhythm.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Being too invested isn't good either. It isn't sunshine and rainbows and it's all the negative Nancy's who are toxic. I was doing the most playful Waluigi ribbing yesterday and I was blocked and called a bully in this thread. It's super weird.

The "well THAT side are detractors so they have to be more toxic" argument doesn't work. It's very easy to see the nasty side of the opposition depending on where you stand. Both sides need to chill and not take everything so personal.
I don't think they're saying being too invested is good...
You can just be reasonable. You don't need to be insanely optimistic and you don't need to be miserable either.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, so I gotta few things to say about my Wacky SEGA Writeup Series:

-First off, I'm glad the OutRun writeup got such a positive reception! I'm happy to have had the opportunity to talk my ass off about this SEGA classic and I hope I managed to get some of you familiarized with the game. Anything to help us in the war against Billy Hatcher.

-Secondly, I think I've settled on a proper name for these writeups. In this first writeup, I just called it "Speed Weed Explains SEGA ****", cause, well, that's exactly what it was. But I think I kinda wanted a fancier name for it, and I'm currently thinking of calling this whole project "Time Extension". It works on multiple levels - it's a common phrase in SEGA arcade racers (most notably Daytona USA which btw is another game I'd totally love to cover one of these days), it's got a nice ring to it, and I'm sure it has a deeper meaning relative to these writeups that I can't quite put my finger on just yet. I will say I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone else has already used this name for their own SEGA-related project, but **** it, it's a cool name

-Thirdly, I think I've finally settled on a game to cover next time. I think I've found a game that manages to hit that balance I wanted of being a good "early game" to cover while also having little enough overlap with OutRun to let us really explore a wholly different part of SEGA history. There were several other games I could think of that matched this criteria, but this one in particular just hit that right spot of "this is it, Luigi. This is the game I wanna cover next" for me. As for when the writeup is coming...well I don't wanna set any specific deadlines for myself cause I feel like that kinda stuff will just end up making this feel more like a hassle to me rather than the Fun Project To Get People Into Other SEGA Stuff it's supposed to be. I do also wanna take some time off to relax before I immediately get to work on this second writeup, but hopefully it shouldn't take that long. I'll set the date as Soon (TM) for now.

As for the game I'm planning on covering in question? Well....

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I don't think they're saying being too invested is good...
You can just be reasonable. You don't need to be insanely optimistic and you don't need to be miserable either.
I guess being more invested works better for younger people. I'm no longer a teen. I can get excited or be against things but pouring too much energy positively or negatively for any extended period of time takes too much energy.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Putting so much energy into not wanting a character just feels like both a waste for energy and a setup for disappointment in case they get in.

There's some characters I don't want but if they get in I'll probably just cringe a little and then move on with my life.
Same. I already got my least wanted in Steve but I didn’t get upset over it. Just try to be happy for the people that do like those characters.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Chorus Kids work perfectly because they’re a trio. A lot of the minigames involve completing a pattern established by two NPCs and reacting to other characters’ movements. While a rhythm fighter can work with just a singular entity, the Chorus Kids would make for a great visual indication of a rhythm fighter and would make it easier to make a rhythm based fighter happen as the player can establish a pattern with the first two Chorus kids, with the final one being a strong finishing move if its in the pre-established rhythm.
This is true, but in a game with Ultimate's online, I'd honestly rather have someone like Tibby with an amalgamation moveset using a ton of tools from various songs. Things like an Up Throw that has the floor from Fruit Basket pop them up, recovery using some Huebirds, maybe a forward tilt using the Frog Hop hip shove. Just so the character embodies that quirky Rhythm Heaven style and I don't have to worry about rhythm gimmicks that give me flashbacks to DK's bongos in laggy online lmao

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
There're characters I don't like - i.e. Sora - but I don't think I have it in me to be truly against the inclusion of such a popular request. A lot of people would be happy and I'd survive. The world would not end.
Smash reveals should make people happy. I'm just one person with her own opinions.

D

Deleted member

I guess being more invested works better for younger people. I'm no longer a teen. I can get excited or be against things but pouring too much energy positively or negatively for any extended period of time takes too much energy.
This is one of those situations that feels like it's aptly described by the original trollface comic. I guess people think that myself or others are over here with a vein near bursting in our forehead over the thought of some unwanted character getting into Smash but at least for me it's like "whatever man".

It is possible to type words onto a screen without slamming the keyboard in frustration.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
There're characters I don't like - i.e. Sora - but I don't think I have it in me to be truly against the inclusion of such a popular request. A lot of people would be happy and I'd survive. The world would not end.
Smash reveals should make people happy. I'm just one person with her own opinions.
I mostly agree, but I think it's fine to be against requests. As long as you aren't being toxic about it. I truly did not want Steve. I did not want him included. I understand why he was and respect it, but didn't want it. It's ok to express negative emotions towards things as long as you aren't being..well, a butt.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This is one of those situations that feels like it's aptly described by the original trollface comic. I guess people think that myself or others are over here with a vein near bursting in our forehead over the thought of some unwanted character getting into Smash but at least for me it's like "whatever man".

It is possible to type words onto a screen without slamming the keyboard in frustration.
Yet there's something inherently paradoxical of you wishing pain on a large group of people while completely calm. And over a video game at that.

Literally what did Sora and his fanbase do to you to warrant this? Did they poison your water supply, burn your crops, deliver a plague unto your house, and steal your wife and kids? Like, if they were ***** to you in the past maybe I could get it? There's gotta be some reason why you're letting them live rent free in your head like this.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Alright, so I gotta few things to say about my Wacky SEGA Writeup Series:

-First off, I'm glad the OutRun writeup got such a positive reception! I'm happy to have had the opportunity to talk my ass off about this SEGA classic and I hope I managed to get some of you familiarized with the game. Anything to help us in the war against Billy Hatcher.

-Secondly, I think I've settled on a proper name for these writeups. In this first writeup, I just called it "Speed Weed Explains SEGA *", cause, well, that's exactly what it was. But I think I kinda wanted a fancier name for it, and I'm currently thinking of calling this whole project "Time Extension". It works on multiple levels - it's a common phrase in SEGA arcade racers (most notably Daytona USA which btw is another game I'd totally love to cover one of these days), it's got a nice ring to it, and I'm sure it has a deeper meaning relative to these writeups that I can't quite put my finger on just yet. I will say I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone else has already used this name for their own SEGA-related project, but * it, it's a cool name

-Thirdly, I think I've finally settled on a game to cover next time. I think I've found a game that manages to hit that balance I wanted of being a good "early game" to cover while also having little enough overlap with OutRun to let us really explore a wholly different part of SEGA history. There were several other games I could think of that matched this criteria, but this one in particular just hit that right spot of "this is it, Luigi. This is the game I wanna cover next" for me. As for when the writeup is coming...well I don't wanna set any specific deadlines for myself cause I feel like that kinda stuff will just end up making this feel more like a hassle to me rather than the Fun Project To Get People Into Other SEGA Stuff it's supposed to be. I do also wanna take some time off to relax before I immediately get to work on this second writeup, but hopefully it shouldn't take that long. I'll set the date as Soon (TM) for now.

As for the game I'm planning on covering in question? Well....
Nice! If I'm allowed to, can I request one for classic Phantasy Star (pre-Online) and Alex Kidd? The former because you'll probably know something I haven't heard about the series' legacy, and the latter because I think it matches well with the remake that came out this year (kinda like I think PD meshes well with the 2020 remake).

Also, I know you're joking, but c'mon, man, the Billy digs are starting to become unnecessary. I swear chocolatejr is the only person I see mentioning Billy frequently.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
At this point I'm not even hoping for my favorites -i.e. Heavy, Phoenix, Frisk,etc.-. to be the final fighter I'm just praying CP11 fits my playstyle. I'm fine with my most wanted being Mii costumes as long as the final character is fun to play with a cool stage with good music.

The only character that probably wouldn't appeal to me at all is something like Jonesy lmao

D

Deleted member

Yet there's something inherently paradoxical of you wishing pain on a large group of people while completely calm. And over a video game at that.

Literally what did Sora and his fanbase do to you to warrant this? Did they poison your water supply, burn your crops, deliver a plague unto your house, and steal your wife and kids? Like, if they were ***** to you in the past maybe I could get it? There's gotta be some reason why you're letting them live rent free in your head like this.
Wishing pain? Nah. I mean, getting a mii costume of the character you want isn't pain, right? Like, not actual pain. But, you're right, I'm being a little dishonest if I'm implying "completely calm". Every now and again I have a good laugh.

I'm having a lot of fun, if you couldn't tell!

D

Deleted member

Y'all are arguing with the guy who literally had this to say about Banjo

Oh, dude, a true classic. You're really doing my work a disservice here, I'm pretty sure that post was at least three times the length of this snippet.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I really don't care who CP11 is to be honest. If it were Sora I'd literally cry, but I gave up any real hope of Sora being in Smash a long time ago. I know that it's a huge shot in the dark, and I'm prepared for the final fighter to be like...Waluigi or Nahobino or Cinderace (I have bass-boosted Drifting Soul ready) or some character I don't really care for. And that's okay.

I got Joker as the first DLC fighter which was a huge dub for TPC and a legendary Smashboards moment IMO, so I'm content.
TPC Death.png

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I don't play Smash much anymore. Only play when I feel like playing certain characters and jamming out to some tracks. All I really want is the last character to give me another reason to do that every now and then.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Nice! If I'm allowed to, can I request one for classic Phantasy Star (pre-Online) and Alex Kidd? The former because you'll probably know something I haven't heard about the series' legacy, and the latter because I think it matches well with the remake that came out this year (kinda like I think PD meshes well with the 2020 remake).

Also, I know you're joking, but c'mon, man, the Billy digs are starting to become unnecessary. I swear chocolatejr is the only person I see mentioning Billy frequently.
These are both good suggestions, and I'll probably get to them someday! Worth noting that I'm planning on doing this on a game-by-game basis (so for example, even if I did a writeup on OutRun now, I could still do a writeup on, say, Turbo OutRun or OutRun 2 someday), so the classic Phantasy Stars could actually each get their own separate writeups.

Also I get you, tbh. I will say the whole deal with William Hatcherson is far from a Smashboards-specific thing, but I think there is a point where I should pump the brakes a bit and remember that were it not for me constantly having to deal with people treating him as the Greatest Thing SEGA Have Ever Made and basically treating him as a mainstay (when oftentimes there's plenty of big series they're completely ignoring), I'd probably just see him as a funny little chicken man and nothing else. I do very much enjoy dunking on Billy and I still probably won't give him his own writeup, like, ever, but I suppose it's gotten a bit much, hasn't it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom