• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sword Tournament still missing after all this time, and the next tourney won't come until after CP11 is shown off.

I ain't saying that CP11 will have a sword, but it's weird it's been held off for soo long.
Considering how common the sword weapon is, guessing that CP11 will have one is a pretty easy guess to make.

Doesn’t mean they gotta have one, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.

Or maybe tournaments continue after DLC is done and it comes at a later time. Idk.

Last edited:

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
This week's Tourney is...

Characters with Wings!
rip Decidueye again, unless the Hisuian variant clips its wings

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Characters with Wings!
Wings...

Just like that, my hopes of seeing Yar join the battle are gone. Coulda been the Atari rep that I want, but I guess we'll have to try again next game.
I'm curious, would they use original 2600 Yar or try and use the reimagined Yar?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Characters with Wings!
Well ****, there goes Trogdor.

I was all ready to burninate the countryside.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Btw, you guys remember that whole "Harada unblocked the Sora4Smash Twitter account"? I actually tried to look up the accounts he messaged and blocked through this image I saved:

I actually tried to check on the three accounts that were still activated and these were my results:
DoomSquidKid had their account suspended.
PutCrashInSmash has been inactive since May
HaloGuyForSmash has been inactive since April
Regardless of whether you think this act by Harada is true or false, I believe this means we won't have an answer for that.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What first party characters seem plausible, if the final reveal winds up being one?

Cinderace seems like a front-runner, but beyond that, I have no idea. (an Advance Wars remake is coming out, and I'd be interested to see what they could do for Andy or Sami, but I doubt they'll add an Advance Wars character)

Try as I might, and as much as I'd love to see them playable, I can't see Nintendo ending off DLC with Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, or Bandanna Waddle Dee, since generally speaking, it seems like they try to focus on new-ish releases when it comes to first party DLC newcomers.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
What first party characters seem plausible, if the final reveal winds up being one?

Cinderace seems like a front-runner, but beyond that, I have no idea. (an Advance Wars remake is coming out, and I'd be interested to see what they could do for Andy or Sami, but I doubt they'll add an Advance Wars character)

Try as I might, and as much as I'd love to see them playable, I can't see Nintendo ending off DLC with Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, or Bandanna Waddle Dee, since I figure they'd try to focus on new-ish releases.
I know y'all don't agree with me on this one, but I still think Euden has a chance, lack of European presence be darned.

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507

Try as I might, and as much as I'd love to see them playable, I can't see Nintendo ending off DLC with Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, or Bandanna Waddle Dee, since generally speaking, it seems like they try to focus on new-ish releases when it comes to first party DLC newcomers.
E.M.M.I or Gen 8 pokemon (cinderace, rillaboom, toxtricity)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Feel like Octoling’s still slept on. Splatoon 3 next year, Octo Expansion came out the same year Ultimate was revealed and might be a missed opportunity Sakurai wishes to revisit

or if you want someone really off the wall, Off the Hook (aka Pearl and Marina). I mean we got a Heihachi Mii before Kazuya, a Rex Mii before Pyra/Mythra… what if the Callie and Marie Miis meant…? 🤔

Shroob

Sup?
I ain't saying that CP11 will use a sword

But it's weird as hell they've held off a sword tournament for soo long to the point that it'll come after CP11.

We've had the basics:

Hand to hand combat
Projectiles

We've had surface level stuff:

Wings

And we've even seen them hold back a tournament:

Fire

And despite all this, where is "Sword"?

Last edited:

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500

I know her remakes have been out for a while now, but Ayumi from FDC comes to mind.

Technomage

Smash Champion

But it's weird as hell they've held off a sword tournament for soo long to the point that it'll come after CP11.

We've had the basics:

Hand to hand combat
Projectiles

Wings

Fire

Maybe the last char is a Gen 8 Mon? Bonus points if we haven't had a Shield Tourney either.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace

We've had the basics:

Hand to hand combat
Projectiles

Wings

Fire

Maybe in the future since they'll continue support the game after the final character along with spirit board events?

Noipoi

Howdy!

We've had the basics:

Hand to hand combat
Projectiles

Wings

Fire

Sword

…And Shield :wario:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

At this point I’d say its a Pokemon, Big Bird, or Waluigi.

Can’t imagine any other 1st Parties getting the invite tbh. And I’m more than a little skeptical of all these choices except Waluigi.

SKX31

Smash Master
Very much like our good friend Isaac, who conspicuously is rarely included on lists like that despite just as frequently being among the most popular, and at one time or another being more popular than any of the four. Around Dark Dawn he was the most requested character. During the ballot he was somewhere in the top three. After the August Direct until the November Direct he was probably again in the top three. And his popularity dates back to the initial GS games.

And even if he's not right at the top, for big chunks of the last decade he's floated around in the top ten.

Never seems to get the nod, though.
I have to wonder if Sakurai's kinda stumbling over Psyenergy when trying to imagine how he'd work? Or running into potential technical issues (esp. considering the Rex / Pyra idea was scrapped)? I'm completely spitballing here, but still.

The first is not a thought I'm entirely confident in since that could easily be managed by shrinking the hand size or using other attacks in his arsenal (I've never played a GS game to save my life) but Psyenergy kinda strikes me as... indirect? It doesn't follow usual attack conventions in Smash - the only remotely similar ideas I can think of are Bayo's smashes and Steve's D-Throw. Doesn't mean it can't work, but Sakurai's had previous stumbles imagining how a full fledged character fights - :4villager: and :4pacman: .

In any case, not only could Sakurai gain a solid idea later on, but future Smash games are going to be presumably on stronger hardware. So that might help Isaac's situation down the line.

Lucario does have a pretty polarizing game design.
I don't think Lucario is polarizing so much as he's annoying to everyone (except for maybe characters that tend to K.O. off of stray hits), which is arguably worse.
Volatile might be a better word because of how knockback is heavily influenced by Aura - base % is 65 % - and it makes any situation where he's above say 110 % extremely dangerous for the opponent - it makes him also very difficult to balance. At the same time, Ultimate has no shortage of characters who can kill at that 110 % mark and his weight nerf from 4 impacted him pretty badly (plus he has lingering inconsistency issues). Still though, I kinda think he's not far from being a more consistent character: he IMHO needs primarily consistency fixes, specifically on his multihits. Maybe slight improvements to his frame data... although I'm not sure on that.

It's a really difficult question because I'm struggling to find a clear frontrunner that doesn't come with a caveat attached to them: I'd say that one of Pokemon, Chozo General / EMMI, Octoling and Ayumi would be closest to that, but I'm not sure if they were really in serious contention by the time FP2 was finalized. The Sword / Shield spirit event doesn't really help matters due to its timing being very close to FP2 getting locked in.

I'm still settling on Ayumi, even as I'm not sure on her either - IIRC the FDC remake wasn't initially planned to get an English translation.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have to wonder if Sakurai's kinda stumbling over Psyenergy when trying to imagine how he'd work? Or running into potential technical issues (esp. considering the Rex / Pyra idea was scrapped)? I'm completely spitballing here, but still.

The first is not a thought I'm entirely confident in since that could easily be managed by shrinking the hand size or using other attacks in his arsenal (I've never played a GS game to save my life) but Psyenergy kinda strikes me as... indirect? It doesn't follow usual attack conventions in Smash - the only remotely similar ideas I can think of are Bayo's smashes and Steve's D-Throw. Doesn't mean it can't work, but Sakurai's had previous stumbles imagining how a full fledged character fights - :4villager: and :4pacman: .

In any case, not only could Sakurai gain a solid idea later on, but future Smash games are going to be presumably on stronger hardware. So that might help Isaac's situation down the line.
Well when it comes to Isaac there's so much to work with that if one idea isn't feasible, there's no shortage of other ways to go. The hand is really a minor part of Isaac's potential kit. It's not even used in battle, it's utility psynergy used in the overworld. And while Isaac can use it, it's not even his element.

If it wasn't for the AT I don't think people even would've assumed he'd use it at all as part of his moveset. The psynergy actually used in battle is mostly elemental stuff which I'm sure Sakurai could wrap his mind around.

I just think he keeps getting edged out. Brawl had very stiff competition, Dark Dawn didn't make a very good splash, and Ultimate had a super limited base.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Steve whips out his shield for his parry animation, but that's the only time he does it.
And there's stuff like Leaf Shield, at least. Pit used to have the Mirror Shield, but now has the Orbitars which do the same thing, really? You could also count Toad on Peach/Daisy as a shield. XD

Last edited:

Shadowvegeta

Smash Cadet
Btw, you guys remember that whole "Harada unblocked the Sora4Smash Twitter account"? I actually tried to look up the accounts he messaged and blocked through this image I saved:

I actually tried to check on the three accounts that were still activated and these were my results:
DoomSquidKid had their account suspended.
PutCrashInSmash has been inactive since May
HaloGuyForSmash has been inactive since April
Regardless of whether you think this act by Harada is true or false, I believe this means we won't have an answer for that.
I refuse to believe Harada has a say in who gets in smash or not. Besides wasnt it one guy spamming a picture with all those characters and not the twitter users. THats what i heard at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom