• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Very much like our good friend Isaac, who conspicuously is rarely included on lists like that despite just as frequently being among the most popular, and at one time or another being more popular than any of the four. Around Dark Dawn he was the most requested character. During the ballot he was somewhere in the top three. After the August Direct until the November Direct he was probably again in the top three. And his popularity dates back to the initial GS games.

And even if he's not right at the top, for big chunks of the last decade he's floated around in the top ten.

Never seems to get the nod, though.
THANK YOU! I have no idea why Isaac isn't talked about alongside K. Rool, Ridley, and Geno. For most of Smash 4 and dare I say a lot of Ultimate he was bigger than Geno. Maybe it's because he committed the horrible crime of not being a scrimblo bimblo.

People have already mentioned it so I won't harp on it too much but yeah I hate the revisionism of "K. Rool, Ridley, Geno, and Banjo were always the big four. No they weren't. Banjo was never seriously discussed until 2015 and Geno was very dead for most of Smash 4. As others have said, Mega Man, Palutena, and Little Mac were all bigger topics back in the day. I really only started getting invested shortly after E3 so i wasn't there for most of the Mega Man speculation but from what little I engaged with before that, I know he was very popular. If I absolutely had to narrow down a top 3 for Smash 4 it would be Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo.

It may seem weird now to those who weren't around back then, especially since there are now more Smash games with Mewtwo than without, but Mewtwo really was the most talked about character by far, be it newcomer or veteran. It's hard to put into words just how omnipresent he was, especially once Mega Evolution became public knowledge. There's a reason he kicked off Smash 4 DLC, he was that big of a deal.

Shroob

Sup?
If Skull Kid ever gets in, I want him to be able to turn his opponent into a harmless Deku Scrub for a few seconds. Like, they can run and jump around, but they can't attack.

The idea gets super ultra mega bonus points from me if everyone has their own unique Deku form.
That's a very dangerous concept.

Like, some of the worst feelings in competitive games is a lack of being able to control your character or fighting back. Slapping a "You cannot fight back" gimmick on a character is really dangerous waters.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
before lucario was revealed alot of people were hoping for munchlax
I can't recall a single time Munchlax was seriously pushed for.

If you weren't pushing Lucario back then, you were probably pushing a Generation III Pokemon like Blaziken or Deoxsys.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Like, some of the worst feelings in competitive games is a lack of being able to control your character or fighting back. Slapping a "You cannot fight back" gimmick on a character is really dangerous waters.
Anakaris in Darkstalkers had something like that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

What do you mean, that's just fighting against Min Min and Steve :)

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
...Because they do.

It's just like Assist Trophies, they could promote one, but they're not gonna.
they dont tho...

just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean it cannot happen. they simply chose lucario over munchlax lmao not bc of in-game pokeball summons

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I was looking into it & as far as I can tell, the only Smash reveals to ever be take place in October were Sonic & Steve. There’s probably no correlation there but it’s still interesting that two of the biggest additions in the series’s history were introduced in the same month.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
they dont tho...

just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean it cannot happen. they simply chose lucario over munchlax lmao not bc of in-game pokeball summons
Yeah, which is why they disconfirm. And since they made it clear that this is the case for the past two games, I'm not going to believe that they don't until they actually go back on that.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I was looking into it & as far as I can tell, the only Smash reveals to ever be take place in October were Sonic & Steve. There’s probably no correlation there but it’s still interesting that two of the biggest additions in the series’s history were introduced in the same month.
Third party characters that start with S. You heard it here first we got "October S theory" since apparently anything can be a theory now.

This is how Scorpion wins.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
they dont tho...

In the pre-DLC age, where there was no phase after release for reevaluation, if a character was playable, they weren't going to be a Pokeball Pokemon. And if they were a Pokeball Pokemon, it meant they weren't chosen to be playable.

Just ask :charizard:, who mysteriously disappeared as a Pokeball once he showed up as a fighter, and hasn't been seen as an item since.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

No it isn't. We're getting Lulu as our LoL rep and you will enjoy being turned into a frog. :4pacman:

Jokes aside, it's like healing, RNG moves or stealth. It has to have certain countermeasures in place so the move doesn't become broken. Stuns in most competitive games are exactly that, but there's always some form of counterplay or prevention.

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
that doesn’t really deconfirm this though. It’s probably fake. 90% fake. No one’s come forward though to say who made it and there’s been no real arguments to go against it so right now it’s technically not debunked.
Would Nintendo not have to go to Bethesda to be able to use the Cacodemon as a Mii headwear design? Would the people behind Doom not be knowledgeable had this occurred? FP2 would be finalized at this point in time.

I know how much fun you have speculating but you aren't really thinking any of these hypotheticals through. You're basically taking the "cat chases laser pointer" approach to speculation.

kylexv

Smash Master
This week's Tourney is...

Characters with Wings!

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace

Characters with Wings!
So the final character won't have wings

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Characters with Wings!
Goodbye

.....literally no one of any importance that this community actively discusses.

Everyone's more or less still on the table.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
A game like Persona 4 Arena actually did have a lot of status ailments from the original JRPG translated into the fighting game which alter the opponent's options:
PoisonDamage Over Time
PanicReversed Controls
FearCounter-hits and can't tech grabs
RageCan't block (but deal more damage)
MuteCan't use Personas or burst (Specials in normal fighting games)
ShockCannot Move.
CharmDrains their meter
FrozenCannot move until hit or mashes out

They've mitigated some of this by making them have a limit of 4 seconds in game and also going away if you manage to hit the opponent while afflicted. (except for Rage). Regardless it's quite frustrating, especially on characters like Naoto who rely on it to set up her dumb instant kill shenanigans.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Characters with Wings!
85CB8CF3-910F-40EC-A9B1-43632FFD7875.jpeg

There goes Berdly

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Would Nintendo not have to go to Bethesda to be able to use the Cacodemon as a Mii headwear design? Would the people behind Doom not be knowledgeable had this occurred? FP2 would be finalized at this point in time.

I know how much fun you have speculating but you aren't really thinking any of these hypotheticals through. You're basically taking the "cat chases laser pointer" approach to speculation.
i’m not speculating though. There’s nothing to speculate off. I’m just acknowledging that caccomallow hasn’t really been deconfirmed and could be real. It’s most likely fake but as it stands there’s no hard proof hit against it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I think it would be fine for a few reasons:
  • Looking at most moves of this nature, this would be a laggy attack with a tiny hitbox that nobody ever lands anyway.
  • But assuming it doesn't because that's the boring option, even if Skull Kid could be expected to land it in a real match, the interaction wouldn't last too long.
  • For the sake of fairness I would say that if you take damage for any reason during this state, you revert back.
  • I also wouldn't mess with the characters attributes, or if I did they might become a little slower (or faster if the character bottoms the speed charts) in exchange for multi-jumps that can help you get away.
  • If it makes the interaction more interesting, we could also add the little dinky attack that Deku Link has; if you hit, you revert back (perhaps even with frame advantage), but it's not particularly easy to hit so you have to mindgame the Skull Kid player. If the Deku Scrub doesn't get multi-jumps, you might have to give them the recovery move too for the sake of fairness...Actually that would be really funny since it means you could turn an automatic disadvantage state into an attempt to carpet bomb the opponent.
So yeah, I retract my earlier explanation, you can attack, it's just easier for Skull Kid to counter, but if you land a hit, you get something out of it instead. You'd just have to be careful that it doesn't skew the interaction too hard in favor of the Deku Scrub. lol

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507

Characters with Wings!
So Parakarry from Paper Mario is deconfirmed? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom