• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know they never really have, but this isn't about a reveal coinciding with an anniversary or anything

It's just that a series getting into Smash Ultimate has literally never missed Sakurai's anniversary tweets so far, and it seems unlikely that they'd go into '22.
And so I guess the series might miss an anniversary tweet, if it's new to Smash. Because the tweets were certainly not a factor in choosing the characters. They're just a nice little acknowledgement of the occasion.

I'm not sure if you realize, but this is literally creating a new rule on the spot. "If a character can't be acknowledged by an anniversary tweet due to timing, they probably weren't chosen", or something to that effect.

And it's funny because it really does prove that Sakurai can't do anything without someone reading into it as some sort of Smash hint.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
It's strange seeing people chomping at the bit to discredit "fan rules" and yet still act like anniversaries are salient indicators.
This is not me trying to impose a new fan rule or anything, it's just an interesting thing I thought might be worth bringing up is all.

It still feels like trying to coincide things.

But instead of specifically an anniversary, you'd think they'd reveal a character before an anniversary just so Sakurai can make a witty tweet about it,

It's a pretty similar mindset.
I get that, but I'm really and honestly not trying to point toward anyone I want getting in over others, or claim anyone is "deconfirmed" or whatever. Again, my very most wanted picks would be out if this was true somehow.

I just wanted to highlight something which has, as I said above, remained really consistent (and I haven't seen anyone bring up). I think this speculation thread would be the place for that kind of discussion. Sorry if I seemed toxic or pushy with it, it was really not my intention :(

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Speaking of Smash 6, what wishlists do you guys have for its mechanics?

Personally I think airdashes has great potential.
A bit late, but I think it'd be cool if Final Smashes were adapted into more EX/Special/Ultimate-style moves, where you have multiple levels of meter that can be spent for higher levels of attacks, or having multiple FS moves for each direction.
Idk I tried my own hand at making a Scrimblo Bimblo-like character name.
Hey, I'm all for more chondrichthyan* representation in media :4pacman:
(*Cartilaginous fish)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
A bit late, but I think it'd be cool if Final Smashes were adapted into more EX/Special/Ultimate-style moves, where you have multiple levels of meter that can be spent for higher levels of attacks, or having multiple FS moves for each direction.
And Puff's would somehow still be useless :4pacman:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Crackpot Smash idea: WoL still mostly consists of Spirit Battles on the overworld, but then there's also the occasional SSE-like stage, like:
  • Fleeting Plains (before you resuce Mario)
  • Airship (guarding the Molten Fortress)
  • Gourmet Race (just turn the existing sub-area into this)
  • Mine Cart Madness (within the DK Island)
  • Planet Zebes (within the space area)
  • Dracula's Castle (just turn the existing sub-area into this)
  • Final Battle (basically the same climb-up as before, but with actual enemies)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Crackpot Smash idea: WoL still mostly consists of Spirit Battles on the overworld, but then there's also the occasional SSE-like stage, like:
Having more actual platforming would be a good set up for the finale, honestly.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Considering World of Light was designed to get -around- having to do in-depth single player content, that scenario seems unlikely. At best, you'd get reworked autoscroller stages (ie they scroll with you) with Assist Trophy enemies or one screen arcade/NES game stages reworked into older game style events.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
you've heard of "characters getting added before their game comes out", now get ready for "characters getting added after, during and before their game comes out because they're episodic and popular as hell"
I understand the criticism but Deltarune's cast had been around for a long while.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What? That's not a Crackpot Smash Idea that's a genuinely good one!

I understand the criticism but Deltarune's cast had been around for a long while.
From the paradoxical nature of the wording I think it was meant to be a joke rather than a criticism.

Or maybe it was both I dunno...

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
you've heard of "characters getting added before their game comes out", now get ready for "characters getting added after, during and before their game comes out because they're episodic and popular as hell"
So Cloud and Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, Advent Children and FFVII Remake?
From a game already out 20 years ago.
A non video-game stuff from a Movie.
And a Remake that is episodic while still waitng on Part 1 For Cloud back in Smash 4 and now Part 2 for Sephiroth now that part 1 is out?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I was ****posting joking, but accusing every character in Smash that's still getting games of being a shill character is a pretty good joke too.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I was ****posting joking, but accusing every character in Smash that's still getting games of being a shill character is a pretty good joke too.
If they still get games, they're shill

If they don't, they're a wasted slot because they're a dead character

What does that make Bayonetta? Schrödinger's witch?

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Unrelated to Smash but I wanted to point this out

Deltarune Chapter 2 Launches Friday night!
I WAKE UP TO THIS

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
And both are clones of Big Boss, the original Snake.

So yes, Solid Snake absolutely counts. :p
Actually doesn't that make Big Boss their MOTHER?

Smashboards thinking the Direct is going to happen, but it doesn't. Followed by when the Direct finally arrives. Followed by people's wanted losing their chance. Followed by everybody's reaction to the new character being not what they hoped for.
I've honestly just accepted that if I don't get who I want to see in Smash by this point, that's fine. I still believe that the Red Hero is still out there, waiting for the right moment to make his return, but if he doesn't come back when we expect him too, that's alright.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yo hold up

I had an epiphany as to when to know a direct is imminent

look for when a bunch of SKUs (product codes) are listed in the likes of Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop etc.

I remember it was that way before we got the September 2019 direct which announced Xenoblade DE, TMS Encore, the FDC remakes and more

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I was never sold on a Nintendo Direct in September. If you go back and look I have always been skeptical. I think one of two things will happen:

Special Smash Direct

or

The Mythical Microsoft and Nintendo collab presentation

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
The Mythical Microsoft and Nintendo collab presentation
I mean
You got potential announcements such as

Gamespass on Switch
Chief in smash
Psychonauts 1 and/or 2 on Switch
MCC on Switch
Mario 3D All Stars on Xbox (ok imagine tho)
Sure, I can see it.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Once Smash DLC is over, the Directs will have their own hype fuel without Smash Bros. Which I can say that we won't be hearing about Smash Bros for a long while after Sakurai's retirement to continue his 20+ years long project as the leader.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
To say Waluigi would have no marketing value to Nintendo is incredibly silly and it’s even sillier to say all the possible characters can be divided in “third party“ and “very direct shill on Nintendo’s side”

To say Waluigi would have no marketing value to Nintendo is incredibly silly and it’s even sillier to say all the possible characters can be divided in “third party“ and “very direct shill on Nintendo’s side”
How does a game titled Mario party demonstrate waluigi popularity??? Or mario Kart? Or any other side mario game?
You cannot point to anything that definitely show he is actually popular or just an internet joke.

I'm sorry, but this is incredibly silly considering Nintendo is the one choosing to not use Waluigi outside of Mario sports spinoffs - which by the way are some of the most profitable games they have, especially MK.

Like, people have asked for Waluigi in WarioWare for years at this point, for example. You can't say that "they have no way of knowing because he has no game sales", the fact is that they've barely even tried.
1st mario kart is popular because its Mario kart. everything mario touches turns to gold even SOCOM styled tactical shooters.
Same issue you are talking about waluigi appearing in ANOTHER character's game. like whats the argument here? If ninntedo wont put him in his own thing they dont think he has carrying power to do so. (which really hurts considering they've done more with rabbids than him). Within warioware is he even equal to ashley? personally idk.
There are cheaper ways to test what waluigi value is. before investing in him to be a smash character. smash DLC is not where characters value is tested.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Once Smash DLC is over, the Directs will have their own hype fuel without Smash Bros. Which I can say that we won't be hearing about Smash Bros for a long while after Sakurai's retirement to continue his 20+ years long project as the leader.
Bold of you to assume people won't go "That's it? No Smash?" anyway after every Direct like when Smash 4 wrapped up

Dukefire

Smash Master
We should have more once another Smash Bros title (if another one is being created.) is announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom