• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Yeah, don't they know the REAL evidence is that there's enough "geno is lame and cringe because 5 year olds won't understand him" comments on the internet for him to qualify for CP11?

Please for the love of god understand that this is sarcasm. Pac-Man can't convey it enough.
My brain isn't functioning properly today so could you please tell me what you mean?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
My brain isn't functioning properly today so could you please tell me what you mean?
I believe CP11 will be much smaller than most if not all of FP2. Geno would be an example of that, judging by what detractors say about him.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I've personally adopted the "it's gonna be a Pokémon" mindset because it's the safest and most boring possible option and I'll be able to be actually appreciate CP11 if it's anyone else. Not that it actually will be anyone else.
I don't really want a Gen 8 mon.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Then again, I'm personally mostly content with the Nintendo cast as is.
King Hippo and Captain Toad/Toadette. Then 1st party can end.

It's a rule that Nintendo has made themselves, and have yet to rescind, and it will remain in place until they do.
A thing they just haven't done yet is not a rule. It's not a rule unless they SAY it's a rule.

so he plays like zero does in vs games. well kinda. ive only seen that work in fighting games played primarily on stick. if he can make it work go for it but im really skeptical.
If Ryu, Terry and Kazuya can work in Smash, than anything from the Vs. games can too.

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy are flimsy technicalities that people will point to though; same thing with Joker in Persona Q2. I'm not saying either case is necessarily relevant, but they are there.
Well here's the more important technicality:
Cloud and Joker rep Final Fantasy and MegaTen. Both big on Nintendo systems.

Do you really think Joker was added because of Persona Q on the 3DS?
No, he was added because of:
Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei
Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II
on Famicom...

Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei II
Shin Megami Tensei If
on Super Famicom...

And so on...

Joker was picked because, like Cloud, he's the best known character in his franchise.

By now they're definitely separate franchises with completely unique and different characteristics, but we all know it originated as a spinoff.
They aren't separate franchises. They are separate series. In the same way Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Tactics are separate series. But they are still the same franchise.

Anyone who guesses them over Nahobino after a SMT teaser is beyond a fool.
Not as big a fool as someone who requests a character they know nothing about.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
You fools... while you were here pondering Challenger Pack 11, I've started work on Challenger Pack 12! Learning Rust, and by extension, coding in general in the process~!

Note the insane weight (five Bowsers' worth!), absurd armor, and horrible mobility (including an 8-frame jumpsquat!) and fall speed.
This isn't just the metal box permanently applied to Mario; it's tailored more around the miniboss from SSB64 and thus is even more extreme.
Best part is that regular Mario is still intact; this is a costume with all the gameplay changes linked to it, even if both Mario and Metal Mario are in the same match. Basically, a clone/echo crammed into an alt slot~ Ultimate modding is going places!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know, enough time has passed that I think it would be appropriate to ask.

After all the Activision/Blizzard accusations, how would you react if Crash was FP11?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
so he plays like zero does in vs games. well kinda. ive only seen that work in fighting games played primarily on stick. if he can make it work go for it but im really skeptical.
If Ryu, Terry and Kazuya can work in Smash, than anything from the Vs. games can too.
To give a more comprehensive answer, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 supported controllers, so the mechanic doesn't not work with them. However, the mechanic is quite terrible on the controller since you have to use a claw grip in order to do any attacks while charging the Zero Buster. In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, this can be remedied by changing on of the attack buttons to a trigger or something, but designing a move around people not using the default controls is...not a great plan.

Fortunately, Geno's attacks probably wouldn't work like this. The moves he has to work with are as follows:
  • Geno Beam: A chargeable laser. The only two things that would differentiate this attack from other charge projectiles is that you'd have to hold down the button to charge, and pressing the button at all commits to the projectile. There also could be be an overcharge effect that causes the beam to be weaker if you charge for too long (the orignial move wants you to hold the button until you get three stars, then let go, although I could be wrong about failing the action command for holding for too long).
  • Geno Boost: This is a buff that would likely act similar to Deep Breathing. When you activate the move, you'll be prompted to time a button press that activates or enhances the buff. In the original game, it always boosts your attack, and will boost your defense if you time it correctly, but they could deviate from that slightly for balancing.
  • Geno Whirl: A standard projectile attack. The orignial action command O.H.K.O.'s things, so they'll definitely deviate from that. My guess is that pressing the Special Attack button as the projectile reaches its max range would cause the projectile to burst, throwing out a more powerful hitbox before disappearing. This would incentivize using the projectile at a farther range.
  • Geno Blast: Lasers shoot down from the sky. The action command is the same as with Geno Beam. It's highly likely that this would be the Final Smash, or have substantial liberties taken with how it works (like, maybe it could be like Palutena's Up Smash).
  • Geno Flash: Geno turns into a cannon and shoots an explosive projectile. Said explosion would likely be a multi-hit like Explosive Flame once it detonates. The action command is the same as with Geno Beam. Of all of his attacks, it's the most likely to be his Up Special, and when used in the air, he would fire himself out of...himself...It's cartoon logic. Let's not question it. On the ground, he would fire the explosive projectile like normal.
Oh, and the action commands for his normal attacks would likely be ignored entirely, as in the original game you have to tap the button as he draws his weapon. There's just no way you could incorporate that into attacks that come out near instantly. That just leave you with the Special Moves, which mostly act like Special Moves that already exist in terms of special inputs.

Jondolio

Smash Hero

After all the Activision/Blizzard accusations, how would you react if Crash was FP11?
I'd be okay with that. The decision was made in advance and I don't blame the character for his company's misdeeds.
I don't think he's likely to be CP11, however.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

same way I would've reacted had I not known about the fact Actiblizz was a horrible company...

"Welp... this aint for me."

osby

Smash Obsessed

I don't care about Crash enough to have a strong opinion about his inclusion. His series isn't my thing and his fans can be annoying but he's big enough to make sense, I guess.

As for his ownership... I have mixed feelings about it. Like, I know it has nothing to do with his series but it'd be pretty ****ty if his inclusion made a large number of people forget about what's currently going on with Activision.

ZelDan

Smash Master

Before awful ActiBlizzard stuff happened: "Oh okay I guess. Crash is neato"

After awful ActiBlizzard stuff happened: "Oh okay I guess. Crash is neato"

If I can happily accept the inclusion of the Belmonts after all of Konami's past awful BS, I don't think I'm in any position to judge any other character for being owned by a company that has some terrible people heading it. AT the end of the day I want to judge characters and franchises for the characters and franchises themselves.

Shroob

Sup?
Not too sure about how I feel about a Direct potentially being next week.

On one hand, it makes sense. 2 weeks ago, we got a Nindies, one week ago we got a Pokemon Presents, and they seem to be taking a break this week due to Gamescon, a Direct next week would effectively 'keep the ball rolling' as it were.

Though, I could also see them waiting until the 2nd week of September as opposed to the first.

There's no solid 1 week in September that September Directs tend to fall on, the absolute earliest has been September 1st, while the latest has been the 17th, so assuming it's not later than the 17th, the 1st through the 17th are effectively fair game, that is, assuming that it's not past the 17th, which is something we can't say for certain on.

The last "Real" Nintendo Direct in September was the Mario one, which aired on September 3rd, and after that we had a Partner Showcase and a MH Direct on the 17th.

My "guess" is it'd be earlier than not, just to get some last minute advertising in for some upcoming games, but, who knows.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Would be cool. I'm a death of the author kinda guy, so I don't let what the assholes at Activision did prevent me from enjoying stuff.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Before awful ActiBlizzard stuff happened: "Oh okay I guess. Crash is neato"

After awful ActiBlizzard stuff happened: "Oh okay I guess. Crash is neato"

If I can happily accept the inclusion of the Belmonts after all of Konami's past awful BS, I don't think I'm in any position to judge any other character for being owned by a company that has some terrible people heading it. AT the end of the day I want to judge characters and franchises for the characters and franchises themselves.
I wouldn’t ever take anyone to task over wanting a character just because of the company that owns them, but Konami being sort of **** about managing its IP and what Activision have been accused of are not even remotely comparable. I wouldn’t fault someone for being uncomfortable with an Activision character the same way I as a Dragon Quest fan don’t fault anyone who takes issue with Sugiyama’s music being in the game. It’s a perfectly valid stance IMO.

On the subject of when the reveal is happening, is there anything other than past precedent that suggests a September direct is a thing? It does seem very likely to me but people everywhere have been treating it as a given.

Shroob

Sup?
I wouldn’t ever take anyone to task over wanting a character just because of the company that owns them, but Konami being sort of **** about managing its IP and what Activision have been accused of are not even remotely comparable. I wouldn’t fault someone for being uncomfortable with an Activision character the same way I as a Dragon Quest fan don’t fault anyone who takes issue with Sugiyama’s music being in the game. It’s a perfectly valid stance IMO.

On the subject of when the reveal is happening, is there anything other than past precedent that suggests a September direct is a thing? It does seem very likely to me but people everywhere have been treating it as a given.
I mean, they've had one for 5 years in a row, and even last year during Covid, we had the Mario Direct, a Partner Showcase, and a stand-alone Monster Hunter Direct all in September.

September basically is Nintendo's "Here's what we have for the holiday season and early next year" period. November is WAY too late, and October is pushing it hard.

ZelDan

Smash Master

What Konami did might not be AS bad as what happened with Activision Blizzard, but what happened with Konami is still pretty damn bad and IIRC they definitely treated their employees like ****, and not just in a typical "overworking/not paying enough" way (I don't recall if it ever got down to sexual/misogynistic stuff though).

So when it comes to the topic of "not wanting to support a character due to their owners," Konami will always be relevant to bring up.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
I mean, they've had one for 5 years in a row, and even last year during Covid, we had the Mario Direct, a Partner Showcase, and a stand-alone Monster Hunter Direct all in September.

September basically is Nintendo's "Here's what we have for the holiday season and early next year" period. November is WAY too late, and October is pushing it hard.
5 years in a row? Damn. I knew September directs were common but I didn't realize you could set your watch to them.

but what happened with Konami is still pretty damn bad and IIRC they definitely treated their employees like ****, and not just in a typical "overworking/not paying enough" way (I don't recall if it ever got down to sexual/misogynistic stuff though).
This would be the first I'm hearing of this, but if it's true then that's entirely fair.

Shroob

Sup?
5 years in a row? Damn. I knew September directs were common but I didn't realize you could set your watch to them.

This would be the first I'm hearing of this, but if it's true then that's entirely fair.
I say this, but last year we didn't get one, because Covid... But the flipside is we got the Mario Direct, a Partner Showcase Direct, and the Monster Hunter Direct, which, to be honest, could have essentially been a September General Direct, just, Nintendo only had really done the March mini that year, due to Covid.

Personally, I still would consider it a "September Direct", since it essentially was one, just cut into 3 different pieces, but others may disagree. What is for certain is that we got a standard General from 2016-2019, and considering we're getting Directs again this year, I don't see them skipping September.

Could totally not happen sure, but I'm doubtful.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Iirc Konami would publically shame any employees over the slightest mistakes like being a few minutes late.

As for this topic, say it with me kids, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Shroob

Sup?
I am confident that if/when we get a September Direct, they'll show off the last character, OR, at the very least, announce a "Final Smash Presentation!", as pointless as it would be just to show off one character.

I don't see a world where they announce a Direct and Sakurai pops in a small segment and goes "Sorry, I have nothing to show you.", or, ignore Smash outright for that matter. It's the last General Direct of the year, Nintendo's going to want to capitalize off that.

Would it be cute if they saved the last character for December? God no. I love Kazuya a ton, but a 6 month wait, for what? Byleth to Min Min was already a grueling period, we at the very least had the ARMs thing then. Let's just get this done and over with in September, and all move on with our lives.

If anything, it'd be a better way to celebrate Ultimate's anniversary by having all the characters out before then tbh, and in December, Sakurai can make a bunch of tweets in regards to Ultimate and ****.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As much as I hate what happened at Activision/Blizzard, I would still be hyped for a character from WarCraft, StarCraft, or Diablo. I would be fine with Crash and he would be cool since he was essentially PS1’s mascot but I don’t particularly care about him one way or the other as a character.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Min Min to Steve: 3 months, 14 days
Steve to Sephiroth: 2 months, 4 days
Sephiroth to Pyra/Mythra: 2 months, 15 days
Pyra/Mythra to Kazuya: 3 months, 25 days

Bros, they're totally gonna stop doing their usual release schedule and arbitrarily make us wait half a year for the final character

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean, if they make us wait half a year for the character, it would only make me think that said "HEY LOOK A SIXTH CHARA" that they pointed out for FP2 was indeed a Brawl Sonic situation.
Aka, last Minute agreement with whoever it is, when the FP2 was already decided and being worked on

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Min Min to Steve: 3 months, 14 days
Steve to Sephiroth: 2 months, 4 days
Sephiroth to Pyra/Mythra: 2 months, 15 days
Pyra/Mythra to Kazuya: 3 months, 25 days

Bros, they're totally gonna stop doing their usual release schedule and arbitrarily make us wait half a year for the final character
I dunno man, it sounds like a thing Nintendo would do. And Sakurai specifically said it'll be a while before the next character reveal.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Crash Bandicoot would be cool. I don't know what I'd think about having Activision/Blizzard's name placed on the copyright section. I mean Konami have been exposed for treating their employees badly too and Cutie Gwen mentions time and time again that Nintendo supports child slavery, yet knowing that most of us still get excited for the next Nintendo direct.

Forgive me for getting deep here but the world is full of unjustice and it can be found in companies we enjoy so we either accept what they do and continue consuming their products or stop supporting them outright and take a stance against the crimes they're committing

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Chinese sweat shops, bro.
I admit I'm out of the loop when it comes to a lot of things that are happening in the world outside of my home country, so at the risk of sounding stupid, what does that mean?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I admit I'm out of the loop when it comes to a lot of things that are happening in the world outside of my home country, so in the risk of sounding stupid, what does that mean?
Abysmal wages
Extremely poor working conditions
Extremely absurd hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom